Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Computers

Computers Sidetrack to Computers, Questions on your home computer? Posting just for registered members....

Old 05-02-2005, 03:35 AM   #1
InTokAlaska
Sharon S Bissell

Send a message via AIM to InTokAlaska Send a message via Yahoo to InTokAlaska
Can Ram Go Bad?

My system resources keeps going down to almost nothing. What is the problem? I have windows me and over 300 megs of ram. In the bottom right corner of screen the icon of every kind turns to what ever site im on i dont understand it. I am writing a song called"Daily Basis" cause i have to do complete re-format on a daily basis
InTokAlaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 05:17 PM   #2
bassmaster
Dave's Guide Service

download spy sweeper and try that , maybe the mobo is going, you got Me I bet your sys is a gate way or dell....
the board in those mach are crapping out mine did and my buddys did. you may have a bad stick of ram. i woul go get another stick any way, you should have 512
and alot of programs now crush resourses.
win me is a crappy sys any way U may want to format and try xp.
but if not try a stick of new ram alone and if all fine stick the other one in and see how it work....
if i can remeber right click on your computer and check propertys it should tell You your system resourses.
I ran win me at 97%
also how much stuff is loaded in the bottom right corner?
right click it and shut it off. if your sys is bogged..
( it could be you have to much stuff in the backround running)
I feel Gay...........

Pro Tool Club....
bassmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 07:30 AM   #3
fishaholic18
Finally

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassmaster
I feel Gay...........
You sound Gay..
And a little Nerdish...

F-18®
It IsWhat It Is

¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º >¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((( º>
fishaholic18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 04:05 PM   #4
outfished

Yes ram can go bad, but it either works or it doesn't, no in between. 300mgs is not much and I agree WindowsME was the biggest piece of junk MS ever created. Having said that, try running a spyware prog. A couple of freebies that work fairly well are sybot, ad-aware and microsoft's antispyware. I would seriously consider upgrading to windows2000 or even better XP. Check your task manager (control-alt-delete) and look at the processes that are running(all those .exe's) There are a few but type them into google and find out what they do. You may have a trojan that is bogging everything down. Good luck and let us know how you make out!
outfished is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 01:00 PM   #5
ThrowingTimber
It's about respect baby!

Wink

Ram doesnt go bad. It either works or you get a blue screen of death with it doing physical memory dumps.... or kernel errors

Windows 98 and Windows ME both SUCK (read SUCK) they have wicked crappy swap files sizesf(too small).....

Assuming that you've defragged, updated your virii definitions, cleaned out any spyware, regularly... You can just make a simple edit, to increase your swap file size.

heres what you're lookin for

Domination takes full concentration..
ThrowingTimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 01:20 PM   #6
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Ram goes bad. You can have badd parts of memory written to by the OS and have it bomb out. But like said above - first suspect is spyware

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 07:49 AM   #7
bloocrab
Callinectes sapidus

I'm a field tech...and trust me, RAM goes bad.

If your really up against the wall with this and you don't want to start spending money on throwing parts at this bad-boy...do a COMPLETE format, make NO attempt at the internet, try to bog your machine down with work. Choose a few things that will really get your PC working, then check your performance tab...I don't think it's a hard-ware problem, take it in baby-steps and you'll find out what the bad agent is.

I've actually seen a PC have the same thing happen after they upgraded their AOL software through the net.....these machines can be very finicky.

Good Luck

...it finally happened, there are no more secret spots
bloocrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 01:47 PM   #8
NaCl H2O

Quote:
Originally Posted by InTokAlaska
My system resources keeps going down to almost nothing. What is the problem? I have windows me and over 300 megs of ram. In the bottom right corner of screen the icon of every kind turns to what ever site im on i dont understand it. I am writing a song called"Daily Basis" cause i have to do complete re-format on a daily basis
Do a google search on "p.c. diagnostics" There are a number of free services out there that seem pretty good.
NaCl H2O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 01:58 PM   #9
Jonny5-22796

First Suggestion - get rid of WinME ~ try Win98 or Win2000

Second Suggestion - in the days when I had Win98, ME, I used a program called RamBOOSTER, its on zdnet.com for free - always worked for me. AdAware might help and so will SpyBot, also on ZDNET for free

The true question is not whether ram can go bad or not, but what process or rogue process is "clogging" your pc - you need to find that - I've salvaged ram from computers on the side of the road, sdram is especially stable, either works or doesnt normally, but I do believe that it could go bad in some cases.
Jonny5-22796 is offline   Reply With Quote