Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 12-04-2018, 02:29 PM   #1
Jim in CT

China tariffs - did we win?

i know little about international economics. Sounds like the Chinese president has made some concessions in the tariff war. i don’t know if they are meaningful
or not, i do get the impression that the tariff war has hurt them more than its hurt us, at least in terms of stock market impact.

Was it a meaningful win? Was it a loss? was it no big deal? our markets went up a bit after the announcement...
Old 12-04-2018, 02:33 PM   #2
Pete F.
Canceled

I do deals all the time.
I have a lot of possible deals.
But they are not the real deal until they are done.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 12-04-2018, 02:35 PM   #3
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
I do deals all the time.
I have a lot of possible deals.
But they are not the real deal until they are done.
if this one gets done as they agreed to, is it meaningful to us?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 12-04-2018, 02:44 PM   #4
Pete F.
Canceled

I have only heard different stories from each side to date, so what they may agree on is unknown to me.
Still posturing, one inscrutable, one unpredictable
Business is not happy, the markets went up and then down more.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 12-04-2018, 03:23 PM   #5
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

With the market again diving almost 700 points today as of now over renewed concern about the trade war I know I’m NOT winning😡
Old 12-04-2018, 03:29 PM   #6
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
With the market again diving almost 700 points today as of now over renewed concern about the trade war I know I’m NOT winning😡
it’s one day.
Old 12-04-2018, 03:40 PM   #7
spence

Not sure China has offered up that much, I do know American farmers are getting hammered. Manufacturing isn’t going to just up and move production back home as that’s a long term play and they’re servicing a global market more than ever. Besides the next admin could just roll back the policy.

It does look like they are starting to drag on the global economy hard.
Old 12-04-2018, 04:34 PM   #8
Pete F.
Canceled

It’s a good thing I can’t post pics or Tarriff Man would be right here
Old 12-04-2018, 04:45 PM   #9
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
it’s one day.
Well in case your not tracking it, we recently lost an entire years worth of gains, the latest uncertainty is just salt on my wounds
Old 12-07-2018, 02:55 PM   #10
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

We keep on "winning" don't we, another banner day in the market, more fear over trade war and the economy starting to show signs of slowing.

The rich and corporate upper echelon certainly had a good year to date, but I'd be surprised if the poor younger middle class working stiffs more heavily invested in the market then I am are doing all that well.

Then you have the poor factory workers in those GM plants slated to close, its a double whammy for them this year, but hey Trump is keeping those coal plants cranking so there will be something to put in their stockings.
Old 12-07-2018, 04:03 PM   #11
PaulS

The decrease today started exactly when Peter Navarro said that if the trade talks are not successful they will impose the 25% tariffs.
Old 12-07-2018, 04:14 PM   #12
detbuch

Quote:
We keep on "winning" don't we, another banner day in the market, more fear over trade war and the economy starting to show signs of slowing.

The rich and corporate upper echelon certainly had a good year to date, but I'd be surprised if the poor younger middle class working stiffs more heavily invested in the market then I am are doing all that well.

Then you have the poor factory workers in those GM plants slated to close, its a double whammy for them this year, but hey Trump is keeping those coal plants cranking so there will be something to put in their stockings.
Stocks did not reflect the actual market when their prices skyrocketed during stagnant market conditions. The rich were investing in stocks rather than in a weak business market. As the market improved and money started to be diverted from stock investment into business growth rather than into inflated stocks, and inflated stocks were sold off for profit, stock prices began to fall, as predicted, and are probably coming into a closer relationship to the market. Stock prices will probably continue to fall. But if they reach a more realistic index, it will make them a more reliable source for retirement portfolios.

Trade negotiations with China require the will to suffer temporary market jitters. If we cave due to fear of market failure, then China won't need to make concessions, so will continue to do what it has been doing. If we stay the course, they will have to blink or suffer worse political upheavals than we would, and our market will stabilize and rebound if we don't overreact and make unnecessary regulatory or tax interventions.

As of now, our market is still strong. There will always be bits of bad news for some. The automobile sector is being cajoled, if not forced, into re-gearing, as GM is doing, for electric car production. If you're concerned about global warming due to burning fossil fuels, then you should welcome the changes the auto companies are making even while we regret the unfortunate temporary hardships for some that will follow.

But an overall strong and growing economy, if we stay the course, will provide more opportunities for unemployed workers.
Old 12-07-2018, 05:32 PM   #13
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
Stocks did not reflect the actual market when their prices skyrocketed during stagnant market conditions. The rich were investing in stocks rather than in a weak business market. As the market improved and money started to be diverted from stock investment into business growth rather than into inflated stocks, and inflated stocks were sold off for profit, stock prices began to fall, as predicted, and are probably coming into a closer relationship to the market. Stock prices will probably continue to fall. But if they reach a more realistic index, it will make them a more reliable source for retirement portfolios.

Trade negotiations with China require the will to suffer temporary market jitters. If we cave due to fear of market failure, then China won't need to make concessions, so will continue to do what it has been doing. If we stay the course, they will have to blink or suffer worse political upheavals than we would, and our market will stabilize and rebound if we don't overreact and make unnecessary regulatory or tax interventions.

As of now, our market is still strong. There will always be bits of bad news for some. The automobile sector is being cajoled, if not forced, into re-gearing, as GM is doing, for electric car production. If you're concerned about global warming due to burning fossil fuels, then you should welcome the changes the auto companies are making even while we regret the unfortunate temporary hardships for some that will follow.

But an overall strong and growing economy, if we stay the course, will provide more opportunities for unemployed workers.
I'm invested at a low risk level being retired, but even so, my losses in just over a year now are approaching 8%. Not sure I agree the market is doing well this year, it's actually the reverse in a single calendar year. I don't mess with my investment company's plans as being in good health, with no real need for large cash withdrawals in the near future, I have no choice but to stay the course. Knowing where I was invested in the market when I was younger and working, I know I'd be taking a big arse beating this year.
Old 12-07-2018, 05:52 PM   #14
wdmso

Message on my MA smart plan

In light of recent market volatility, remember that your retirement plan is intended for long-term investment. Attempts to time the market are rarely successful. One way to manage risk over time is to ensure you have a diversified portfolio that is rebalanced through up-and-down markets. Keep your individual needs, goals and time horizon in mind and consult with your financial adviser if needed. It is important to note diversification and rebalancing do not ensure a profit and do not protect against loss in declining markets.

10/07/2018 12/07/2018 -0.86% lost a 1000.00 from 9\30\18 thru 12\7\18
Old 12-07-2018, 05:52 PM   #15
detbuch

Quote:
I'm invested at a low risk level being retired, but even so, my losses in just over a year now are approaching 8%. Not sure I agree the market is doing well this year, it's actually the reverse in a single calendar year. I don't mess with my investment company's plans as being in good health, with no real need for large cash withdrawals in the near future, I have no choice but to stay the course. Knowing where I was invested in the market when I was younger and working, I know I'd be taking a big arse beating this year.
I was referring to the economic market, not the stock market. Many believe the stock market was overpriced and due to come down. The dynamics have reversed. The good economic market invites investment in business that was not as attractive in a stale economy where most big money investment went to stocks instead of business.

I think, unless we go back to higher business taxes and regulations, things will keep looking good and even out to a secure position that helps your investment future. At least, for your sake, I hope so.

And if the Repubs can get the strictly middle class cut in taxes that they're proposing, it may get even better.

Last edited by detbuch; 12-07-2018 at 05:58 PM..
Old 12-07-2018, 06:38 PM   #16
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
I was referring to the economic market, not the stock market. Many believe the stock market was overpriced and due to come down. The dynamics have reversed. The good economic market invites investment in business that was not as attractive in a stale economy where most big money investment went to stocks instead of business.

I think, unless we go back to higher business taxes and regulations, things will keep looking good and even out to a secure position that helps your investment future. At least, for your sake, I hope so.

And if the Repubs can get the strictly middle class cut in taxes that they're proposing, it may get even better.
Recesssions happen, it’s cyclical, we may have already reached the pinicle of this cycle.
Old 12-08-2018, 06:17 AM   #17
Jim in CT

got stripers, obama
also had days when the market was down. judge him
on how the market does over his whole presidency, maybe? although when it was up you did point that out so you’re fair that way. Some guy at J.p. morgan said the pe ration for the sp500 is low
and that he thinks the market is irrationally low. if that’s true, and that’s a pretty big if, it’s a buying opportunity. also from what i understand the tariffs are hurtingbthe chinese market far worse, so if they agree to favorable terms ( also a big if) it could be a win for him.

the economy is healthy, and the market has done well
since he’s been in office, hasn’t it? we may end 2018 with annual
gdp growth over 3 percent, i think 2005 was the last time thatbhappened.
Old 12-08-2018, 08:22 AM   #18
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
got stripers, obama
also had days when the market was down. judge him
on how the market does over his whole presidency, maybe? although when it was up you did point that out so you’re fair that way. Some guy at J.p. morgan said the pe ration for the sp500 is low
and that he thinks the market is irrationally low. if that’s true, and that’s a pretty big if, it’s a buying opportunity. also from what i understand the tariffs are hurtingbthe chinese market far worse, so if they agree to favorable terms ( also a big if) it could be a win for him.

the economy is healthy, and the market has done well
since he’s been in office, hasn’t it? we may end 2018 with annual
gdp growth over 3 percent, i think 2005 was the last time thatbhappened.
Judging him year by year as I'm sure most are. Year one was an extension of an already strong economy and of course Trump took all the credit for the market while it was making all those gains. At the end of this year I have less money in my retirement account, then I had when he took office and as expected Trump is silent on the market as it reacts to the trade war, the fed and possibly a slowing economy. Not arguing that the GDP is up, I think it certainly is debatable if Trump and his administration is responsible; again this is still an extension of what he inherited. Not saying some moves he made helped it continue, but those moves also put most of that wealth right back into the corporations and upper 1-2 percent. If he makes it to year 4, I guess we can review and debate his impact on my retirement account and the economy as a whole.
Old 12-08-2018, 10:07 AM   #19
Jim in CT

Quote:
Judging him year by year as I'm sure most are. Year one was an extension of an already strong economy and of course Trump took all the credit for the market while it was making all those gains. At the end of this year I have less money in my retirement account, then I had when he took office and as expected Trump is silent on the market as it reacts to the trade war, the fed and possibly a slowing economy. Not arguing that the GDP is up, I think it certainly is debatable if Trump and his administration is responsible; again this is still an extension of what he inherited. Not saying some moves he made helped it continue, but those moves also put most of that wealth right back into the corporations and upper 1-2 percent. If he makes it to year 4, I guess we can review and debate his impact on my retirement account and the economy as a whole.
year one also benefited from the regulations that were eliminated, and from the confidence that wall street had a real ally. obamas
momentum was part of it, but trump helped it. let’s be honest and fair.

if you have less $$ now then you had in january 2017, you’re doing something wrong and that’s not his fault.
Old 12-08-2018, 10:46 AM   #20
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
year one also benefited from the regulations that were eliminated, and from the confidence that wall street had a real ally. obamas
momentum was part of it, but trump helped it. let’s be honest and fair.

if you have less $$ now then you had in january 2017, you’re doing something wrong and that’s not his fault.
The gains I made in 2017 are gone due to what has happened in the market in 2018 and I don't monkey with what Fidelity is doing with my accounts; I don't have that kind of market knowledge to trust myself with trading. Going back to a balance I had when he took office is all the proof I need to give him a failing mark thus far, you can judge him however you like.

Two years in and he has had one legislation passed and that tax cut profited the rich for the most part; yeah short terms for some but stay tuned.

Not sure the environment is going to keep winning with some of the moves he's made that impact it, so I'm giving him a failing mark there as well.

I'd agree China needed to be addressed, but I'm not sure the all out trade war is the best approach, I'm holding out on my judgement on that one.

I have to give him a good mark for getting NK to the table, but it doesn't appear to have gone anywhere from there.

Jobs, sure he's helped, but again when you have a economy (large ocean going box ship) going in one direction, it goes that way for a long, long time. Economy changes aren't done on a dime, they evolve over years.

Immigration, well that's his campaigning platform and he is still looking for his wall. Not arguing that our borders needed to be tighter, but the way he goes about it is wrong, or you wouldn't keep getting judges ruling against him. He fails IMHO, as this needed to be a partisan approach from the beginning, otherwise nothing substantial will come of it.

Hard to put forth good legislation and changes that are positive for everyone, when you can barely keep the "good" people today long enough; he gets an F for civility and good judgement on hires and fires. Look at the comments made recently about Rex, dumb as a rock and lazy, he turned from smart and sharp to dumb as a rock in a year really. An F isn't a low enough grade to give him on civility and respect for his peers.

Have you been reading or getting the filings released and not just the spin Fox News is putting on them? I don't think it's looking too good for the Trump family when all is reveled. I love it that Fox and Trump are echo's of one another, claiming it proves no collusion is so laughable. Even some that wasn't redacted seems to indicate a coordinated effort by all in the campaign staff to get their stories straight on dealings with the Russians and now the Trump family business ventures in Russia are part of the equation. I'd bet my life on him not running in 2020 and I'm not sure he will even reach that far before the other shoe drops.
Old 12-08-2018, 11:02 AM   #21
Jim in CT

Quote:
The gains I made in 2017 are gone due to what has happened in the market in 2018 and I don't monkey with what Fidelity is doing with my accounts; I don't have that kind of market knowledge to trust myself with trading. Going back to a balance I had when he took office is all the proof I need to give him a failing mark thus far, you can judge him however you like.

Two years in and he has had one legislation passed and that tax cut profited the rich for the most part; yeah short terms for some but stay tuned.

Not sure the environment is going to keep winning with some of the moves he's made that impact it, so I'm giving him a failing mark there as well.

I'd agree China needed to be addressed, but I'm not sure the all out trade war is the best approach, I'm holding out on my judgement on that one.

I have to give him a good mark for getting NK to the table, but it doesn't appear to have gone anywhere from there.

Jobs, sure he's helped, but again when you have a economy (large ocean going box ship) going in one direction, it goes that way for a long, long time. Economy changes aren't done on a dime, they evolve over years.

Immigration, well that's his campaigning platform and he is still looking for his wall. Not arguing that our borders needed to be tighter, but the way he goes about it is wrong, or you wouldn't keep getting judges ruling against him. He fails IMHO, as this needed to be a partisan approach from the beginning, otherwise nothing substantial will come of it.

Hard to put forth good legislation and changes that are positive for everyone, when you can barely keep the "good" people today long enough; he gets an F for civility and good judgement on hires and fires. Look at the comments made recently about Rex, dumb as a rock and lazy, he turned from smart and sharp to dumb as a rock in a year really. An F isn't a low enough grade to give him on civility and respect for his peers.

Have you been reading or getting the filings released and not just the spin Fox News is putting on them? I don't think it's looking too good for the Trump family when all is reveled. I love it that Fox and Trump are echo's of one another, claiming it proves no collusion is so laughable. Even some that wasn't redacted seems to indicate a coordinated effort by all in the campaign staff to get their stories straight on dealings with the Russians and now the Trump family business ventures in Russia are part of the equation. I'd bet my life on him not running in 2020 and I'm not sure he will even reach that far before the other shoe drops.

The market is up meaningfully since January 2017. I’m not a financial advisor, but if you’re ok with lagging the market by double digits, that’s your issue, not Trumps fault. The indices are up since he took office. Gdp is up meaningfully, and unemployment is down meaningfully. trump clearly inherited favorable tailwinds from obama. He is also clearly making his own positive impact. i don’t know what you’re invested in, but the broad statistics are all better now than when he took office. Do you dispute that?

i think you’re being extremely fair in China, it may end well, but americans are hurting now because if it. maybe a more finessed approach would
have been wise. We’ll see. but you were fair.

on jobs, i agree it doesn’t change on a dime. but most people admit he has been a positive influence. most say we’re overdue for a recession, maybe he deserves some credit for extending the good run.

on immigration, i’m no lawyer but we need major changes, and it means nothing to me if the 9th circuit blocks him, those idiots are constantly overturned, they don’t care about the law, they care about liberal advocacy. But he’s not winning on immigration, i agree.

I also give him a F on civility, not in hires. i love Mattis, and i love love love the supreme court picks.

on the special investigator, filings, etc, all i saw was that alan dershowitz, a lefty if there ever was one, said he saw no crimes in what trump did. if trump is guilty, i want him impeached as much as Spence and Pete.

to me, the economy and the supreme court picks and killing terrorists, are what matter. putting kavanaugh in the SCOTUS, and all the appointments he’ll make in the next two years, it doesn’t even matter as much to me
if liberals sweep in 2020 ( and they might), they can’t go nearkybas far with these judges. he’s put in limits for far we can go in ignoring the constitution. to me, that’s his legacy, and it’s awesome.

it would
be nice if he had better bedside manner. but i care more about results.
Old 12-08-2018, 12:08 PM   #22
wdmso

Quote:

it would
be nice if he had better bedside manner. but i care more about results.
and in that last statement ... is exactly wrong with the New Trump GOP and conservatives in general

A moral compass that only works when it's convenient..
Old 12-08-2018, 12:40 PM   #23
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
and in that last statement ... is exactly wrong with the New Trump GOP and conservatives in general

A moral compass that only works when it's convenient..
get over yourself. why is bill clinton ( impeached and disbarred) so popular with democrats? because he’s such a swell guy?

sorry, the party worships at the feet of the clintons doesn’t get to lecture me about prioritizing virtue. can’t have it both ways. i votes for clinton, and
i claim he was a good potus. scumbag of a
man but a good president. i say the same about trump. go ahead tell me why the dems can worship clinton and say they care about morals.
Old 12-08-2018, 06:18 PM   #24
wdmso

Quote:
get over yourself. why is bill clinton ( impeached and disbarred) so popular with democrats? because he’s such a swell guy?

sorry, the party worships at the feet of the clintons doesn’t get to lecture me about prioritizing virtue. can’t have it both ways. i votes for clinton, and
i claim he was a good potus. scumbag of a
man but a good president. i say the same about trump. go ahead tell me why the dems can worship clinton and say they care about morals.

You miss the point again Clinton was held responsible for his actions (lying) Trumps and GOP supporters have no intentions of holding Trump accountable
As you said as long as you like the results .... and of couse you see trump's behavior and Clinton behavior as some how equal .?.. not sure how . But your good at it
Old 12-08-2018, 11:48 PM   #25
scottw

Quote:

You miss the point again Clinton was held responsible for his actions (lying) Trumps and GOP supporters have no intentions of holding Trump accountable
just sayin'....I suspect if you come up with an impeachable charge...you will have some republicans happy to vote to impeach...we'll see

Five Democrat House members (Virgil Goode of Virginia, Ralph Hall of Texas, Paul McHale of Pennsylvania, Charles Stenholm of Texas and Gene Taylor of Mississippi) voted in favor of three of the four articles of impeachment, but only Taylor voted for the abuse of power charge.

A two-thirds vote (67 senators) was required to remove Clinton from office. 50 senators voted to remove Clinton on the obstruction of justice charge and 45 voted to remove him on the perjury charge; no member of his own Democratic Party voted guilty on either charge.
Old 12-09-2018, 07:45 AM   #26
Jim in CT

Quote:
As you said as long as you like the results .... and of couse you see trump's behavior and Clinton behavior as some how equal .?.. not sure how . But your good at it
no no, you missed
your own point. your post didn’t say trump should be held accountable ( which i agree with). you were criticizing people who defend trump. but your side still worships clinton. if it’s ok for your sidento overlook moral lapses, why is it wrong for my side to do so?

I said i care more about results style, and you said “that’s whats wrong with the new GOP.”. that not nearly the same thing as saying “Trump should be held accountable for his actions.”
Old 12-09-2018, 07:50 AM   #27
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
no member of his own Democratic Party voted guilty on either charge.
WDMSO, what say you to that?
Old 12-09-2018, 07:55 AM   #28
wdmso

Quote:
no no, you missed
your own point. your post didn’t say trump should be held accountable ( which i agree with). you were criticizing people who defend trump. but your side still worships clinton. if it’s ok for your sidento overlook moral lapses, why is it wrong for my side to do so?
Again you think Clinton supporters worship Clinton ??

Trump supporters Worship Trump ... (watch a rally ) once Again attempting to claim they are the same

I know Getting a blow job is horrible and lying about it is worse

but playing with the russians their no harm in that or paying of a porn star before an election or just lying daily is just being a politician for Trump..
Old 12-09-2018, 08:03 AM   #29
Nebe

Quote:

I know Getting a blow job is horrible and lying about it is worse
The only time it’s horrible is when it’s non consensual. Clinton and Lewinski were both into it...
that whole investigation was a total joke. So what if he denied it...it was no ones business but his and his wife’s. Were any laws broken ?? No.

Trump on the other hand is basically a mafia boss directing a bunch of felons at this point.
Old 12-09-2018, 08:26 AM   #30
wdmso

Quote:
WDMSO, what say you to that?
I say 10 republican also voted not guilty with the democrats ... so seems the burden of proof was not met and he was Acquitted by the Senate...

now ask yourself with the house in 2019 having a 235 to 199 advantage to send articles of impeachment to the senate

and the Republicans having a 53\ 45 \2 independant seat advantage and the need A two-thirds vote (67 senators) to convict ...

if articles of impeachment are presented.. do the math 14 republicans would need to jump ship to convict

Clinton gets impeched for liying about getting a blow job from a women

and Trump gets impeached for trying to give russia a blow job and lying about and his senate votes not guilty .... such irony

Last edited by wdmso; 12-09-2018 at 08:35 AM..