Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » Kayaking

Kayaking After the frequent attempts at Bribery, beatings, and simply getting towed at Sunrise - S-B opens the Kayak Forums Also see http://www.ultimatekayakfishing.com

Old 07-28-2011, 10:22 AM   #1
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
Where Are All The "Yak Rats"???

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 10:59 AM   #2
Nebe

Im still waiting for you to come down to RI Larry.... Ive caught more fish in my hobie this year than the last 3 maybe 4 years in the surf.
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 11:08 AM   #3
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Lets try to get together! I have wheels....can travel!!

Old 07-28-2011, 11:17 AM   #4
Nebe

how about some evening next week??
Old 07-28-2011, 12:22 PM   #5
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Haven't been able to do much...been busy. Hoping to get out this weekend for at least a couple of hours

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 01:05 PM   #6
Rockport24
President - S-B Chapter - Kelly Clarkson Fan Club

me too, been way too busy, got out for the first time in 3 weeks this past weekend and even then it was only for a couple of hours! heading out this weekend for sure though
Rockport24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 07:22 PM   #7
Backbeach Jake

Been wicked busy at getting nothing done. Another crazy year. Got the yak wet at last last weekend. Been fishing twice. Working my butt off , when I stop , I collapse, nothing left at all.

He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
Thomas Paine
Backbeach Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 07:42 PM   #8
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Eben....by "evening" what time we talkin'?

Old 07-28-2011, 08:46 PM   #9
Nebe

Start just before dusk and then fish until you get scared.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 07-29-2011, 10:39 AM   #10
fishbones

My yak just came out of hibernation and got washed last night. It's now on the way to the Cape on the roof of my wife's suv. I'll be reunited with it tomorrow at some point and am hoping to get out and catch some blues or maybe some funny fish if they're around. Things should be slowing down a bit through the end of the summer and into fall for me, so I'm hoping to start making it to some scrambles now.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
fishbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 11:54 AM   #11
Rockport24

Are we still doing a North Shore scramble at the "north shore leg" ?
Old 07-29-2011, 12:14 PM   #12
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

I want to....

Old 07-29-2011, 12:25 PM   #13
ecduzitgood
time to go

Yak Rats

I have yet to inquire due to my on-line persona being somewhat different than I am in person, add to that I am still a smoker (forgive me Larry I want to quit though, hopefully soon) which makes me somewhat of a leper, although my hands are clean (TDF you had to get a good laugh from that thread). I am not quite comfortable with my safety equipment due to no reliable VHF and lack of a compass and haven't figured out the anchor setup yet.
Also I have cut way back on the talk radio and am trying not to get into political discussions which tends to alienate people and burn bridges that never got a chance to be constructed.
ecduzitgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 12:35 PM   #14
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

You shouldn't need a VHF for a scramble.....everybody kind of stays together and it is in broad daylight. Don't worry about the anchor....doubt very much that you will ever use it.

Probably THE Safest way to get use to your kayak is with this group of Chowdah heads

Old 07-29-2011, 12:35 PM   #15
fishbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecduzitgood View Post
I have yet to inquire due to my on-line persona being somewhat different than I am in person, add to that I am still a smoker (forgive me Larry I want to quit though, hopefully soon) which makes me somewhat of a leper, although my hands are clean (TDF you had to get a good laugh from that thread). I am not quite comfortable with my safety equipment due to no reliable VHF and lack of a compass and haven't figured out the anchor setup yet.
Also I have cut way back on the talk radio and am trying not to get into political discussions which tends to alienate people and burn bridges that never got a chance to be constructed.
Ed, you'll fit in just fine. The Yak Rats are just a bunch of guys (and girls) who are very easy going and like to get together and fish on their kayaks. I wouldn't be too concerned about not having a compass or VHF. I wear a pdf and that's about it. I don't need a compass of vhf when fishing with the Yak Rats. I go pretty minimalist when I'm with a group. If I'm alone, I carry a radio and SPOT satellite person tracker. As for the smoking, as long as you're not blowing it in someones face I wouldn't think it's a problem.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
fishbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 01:14 PM   #16
ecduzitgood
time to go

I guess I'm either too paranoid or have too much respect for the Ocean. I just feel vulnerable on a small watercraft with clothing on that will limit my survival time if I get into trouble. I am probably over thinking this (I always over think).
Epirb is on the list of missing gear also. I was going to get a personal strobe light but I don't think it would be a good investment due to the water temperatures so I will opt for Epirb. I would also like to have a waterproof camera and waterproof cell phone before I go too far out, which I plan on doing once I have the gear. Thats why I chose the Pro Angler with it's enormous 600lb capacity, it's a beast weight wise, but for what I want to do with a boat it gets me close.
Old 07-29-2011, 01:28 PM   #17
Rockport24

So you've never taken your PA out in the ocean? I think you will be totally fine. I would invest in a VHF if I were you, don't worry about an ebirb and all that for now, but if saftey is really a concern, a VHF and compass is a smart idea. You can also get a waterproof case for your cell phone for very short money (like under $20).

Most are really smart about watching conditions and almost always go out in protected areas. If you get out there and are not comfortable, just turn around and go back in!

You are much less likley to fall out of a PA, but if you are really concerned, you could do what most of us do and wear dry gear. I use kokatat dry pants paired with a semi-try top. However, I don't wear that stuff now that water temps are higher.
Old 07-29-2011, 03:11 PM   #18
ecduzitgood
time to go

It's new to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockport24 View Post
So you've never taken your PA out in the ocean? I think you will be totally fine. I would invest in a VHF if I were you, don't worry about an ebirb and all that for now, but if saftey is really a concern, a VHF and compass is a smart idea. You can also get a waterproof case for your cell phone for very short money (like under $20).

Most are really smart about watching conditions and almost always go out in protected areas. If you get out there and are not comfortable, just turn around and go back in!

You are much less likley to fall out of a PA, but if you are really concerned, you could do what most of us do and wear dry gear. I use kokatat dry pants paired with a semi-try top. However, I don't wear that stuff now that water temps are higher.
I have only taken it to a local pond once and one of the turbo fins almost came completely off (I have a spare set I'll keep with me). I have no idea why it happened so it does give me concern. I guess it's all the years I spent boating that makes me want to ensure I am doing all I can to stay safe and if I need to be rescued make it easier for the people who are looking for me. I probably am getting a little overboard has far as being prepared but I realize how quick it can go bad and how bad it can get, and I have only myself to rely upon without the comfort of 3 or more feet of freeboard.

Has anyone ever tried to right a pro angler while in the water? I have righted sit in kayaks easily, the PA seems like it might be a challenge.
Old 07-29-2011, 03:29 PM   #19
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

Quote:
I have only taken it to a local pond once and one of the turbo fins almost came completely off (I have a spare set I'll keep with me). I have no idea why it happened so it does give me concern. I guess it's all the years I spent boating that makes me want to ensure I am doing all I can to stay safe and if I need to be rescued make it easier for the people who are looking for me. I probably am getting a little overboard has far as being prepared but I realize how quick it can go bad and how bad it can get, and I have only myself to rely upon without the comfort of 3 or more feet of freeboard.

Has anyone ever tried to right a pro angler while in the water? I have righted sit in kayaks easily, the PA seems like it might be a challenge.
Edzzzzzzo !!!!! God hates a coward .. Come out with us .. If you have a good life jacket and wear it ,there's nothing to fear . If you haven't taking your yak out in the ocean your really missing out .. Good to have numbers with you to get through the learning curve . We stay close to shore ,, out of the shipping lanes ,, are fare weather yakkers,, and falling out and getting back on top isn't a big deal .. Your a great guy (Troll) .. Would love to have you join us .

Belcher Goonfoock (retired)
(dob 4-21-07)
Tagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 03:33 PM   #20
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Eddie you working tomorrow?? Sunday??

Old 07-29-2011, 03:47 PM   #21
Rockport24

Quote:

totally understand your wanting to be prepared, it's all about feeling safe out there. This kind of yakking is much more tame than an outing in a boat, most of the time you will be within swimming distance to shore. Give it a shot just to get a feel for it.
Old 07-29-2011, 03:57 PM   #22
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFish View Post
Eddie you working tomorrow?? Sunday??
nope ... nope ....

Belcher Goonfoock (retired)
(dob 4-21-07)
Tagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 04:16 PM   #23
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Come over to the "Yak Rat" side ecduzitgood!!!!

Old 07-29-2011, 06:04 PM   #24
ecduzitgood
time to go

I just put a lobster in the pot that was so tiny I considered saving it for bait from the yak, got them at market basket $4.99 new shell. I don't know how the guys catching them can make a living if the store only gets $4.99. This one seemed so borderline I took a picture so I could check with the lobster guys here.
Bait.jpg
Ok, I'm in where and what time do we launch? The weather looks great for it.
Thanks for voching for my character Eddie
Old 07-29-2011, 06:38 PM   #25
BigBo

Ed. Put those new Turbo fins on. Don't save them for backups.

The future ain't what it used to be. --Yogi Berra
BigBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 07:37 PM   #26
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Ed you gotta keep up in the "Scramble" threads? I post them every week. Tomorrow morning we are meeting at Pemberton Pier in Hull right across from the High School at Hull Gut! We will launch at 6:00am so be there a little before that! Pack a few drinks...water, soda whatever.....a couple sandwiches......and make sure you have your PFD with you! Good time is guaranteed!! Hope to see you there!

Old 07-29-2011, 07:57 PM   #27
striperman36
Old Guy

windy tomorrow. be safe
striperman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 08:26 PM   #28
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

If conditions are not optimal in Hull....we will adjourn to Duxbury.......thats why we call them "Scrambles"! Thanks Bill!

Old 07-30-2011, 01:39 PM   #29
ecduzitgood
time to go

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBo View Post
Ed. Put those new Turbo fins on. Don't save them for backups.
Your right I'll put the second one on and the keep the others for back up.
Old 07-30-2011, 05:02 PM   #30
BigBo

Another thing Ed. The more you tighten the fin shaft upwards the more speed you get, but it's harder to peddle. Find the best position for you, then add a drop of blue locktite to keep the nuts from backing off, and still be removable later on.

The future ain't what it used to be. --Yogi Berra
BigBo is offline   Reply With Quote