Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 07-22-2013, 12:22 PM   #2
FishermanTim

It would be more concerning if the people filming these check points weren't going out of their way to initiate the incidents.
Sure, some of the check points seem a little absurd in their approach, but you can bet your a$$ tht if they did nothing at all these same video a$$clowns would be showing those encounters in the same manner.

Remember that these people were traveling those roads to PUPOSELY hit those checkpoints, meaning that they are not your average citizen, but rather a glorywhore looking for their 15 minutes of fame in their little pathetic niche in the internet world.

How much time, money and manpower did these stupid scriptyed encounters waste in the pursuit of useless personal fame and glory????

I am a legend in my own mind!
Old 07-22-2013, 01:51 PM   #3
GonnaCatchABig1
must find the fish

i agree some of them are just being jerks. but i start filming the second police get involved in anything. i don't trust them at all. i have had very few encounters with police in which the officer did his job the right way. the latest being threatening to arrest me for asking a question about a fight a friend was in. my friend was attacked, defended themselves against the attack, and was the only one brought to jail, despite witnesses saying my friend did not initiate the attack. when i asked why only my friend was going to jail and not both parties, i was threatened to be arrested for obstruction.... at which point i shut up and just said yes or no, to any questions. there was no need to threaten me for asking questions. the other officer on the scene was very helpful and polite and did his job well. but there are always jerks and i will film every encounter because of those jerks. he's just the latest in a long line of aggressive over the top police. i film any and everything they do. if you'd like more examples of why you should alway film them, i can provide dozens of incidents filmed by by standers, of police using lethal force when not neccissary. (lately theyve been killing dogs for barking at them) or arresting people who have committed no crimes. with out the video evidence these people would go to jail, and the cops would go out about continuing to be jerks.

the problem is since 9/11 police are being trained as soldiers, not as police. they are not trained to help people any more. they are trained to treat everyone as hostile/threat. many old school police chiefs have decried this practice lately, calling for reforms i training, because the younger generation of officers are trigger happy and thick headed..
always film them, and keep them accountable.

despite people saying, 'if you have nothing to hide, you have nothing fear', thats no longer true. they find ways.

i've seen tons of videos of police start beating the crap out of someone, in a few cases killing them, then trying to report 'resisted arrest' when the videos clearly show otherwise.

i'm not against the idea of policing, but i am against this new batch of storm troopers out for blood, who manipulate the system to abuse people.

and lets turn that around.. if the police have nothing to hide, they have nothing to fear.

film them always.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 07-22-2013, 01:58 PM   #4
GonnaCatchABig1
must find the fish

also.. the point of the video was, they have no legal reason to stop these people. they are not suspected of any crimes, they have done nothing to warrant suspicion, so they should not have to submit themselves to interrogation.

another point the video makes, is in some situations how little the officers actually know about what they are doing.

then a third key part, is how they will try to trick you into warrantless searches, and providing information you legally do not have to provide.

i saw one check point video, where the dhs officer detained the driver on the grounds of 'the constitution'. he literally said 'you are being detained because of the consitution'. reallllly? come on...
Old 07-22-2013, 02:05 PM   #5
GonnaCatchABig1
must find the fish

i give you exhibit A. on why to always film..
http://www.kvue.com/news/Student-spe...216431071.html
Old 07-22-2013, 02:34 PM   #6
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonnaCatchABig1 View Post
i agree some of them are just being jerks. but i start filming the second police get involved in anything. i don't trust them at all. i have had very few encounters with police in which the officer did his job the right way. the latest being threatening to arrest me for asking a question about a fight a friend was in. my friend was attacked, defended themselves against the attack, and was the only one brought to jail, despite witnesses saying my friend did not initiate the attack. when i asked why only my friend was going to jail and not both parties, i was threatened to be arrested for obstruction.... at which point i shut up and just said yes or no, to any questions. there was no need to threaten me for asking questions. the other officer on the scene was very helpful and polite and did his job well. but there are always jerks and i will film every encounter because of those jerks. he's just the latest in a long line of aggressive over the top police. i film any and everything they do. if you'd like more examples of why you should alway film them, i can provide dozens of incidents filmed by by standers, of police using lethal force when not neccissary. (lately theyve been killing dogs for barking at them) or arresting people who have committed no crimes. with out the video evidence these people would go to jail, and the cops would go out about continuing to be jerks.

the problem is since 9/11 police are being trained as soldiers, not as police. they are not trained to help people any more. they are trained to treat everyone as hostile/threat. many old school police chiefs have decried this practice lately, calling for reforms i training, because the younger generation of officers are trigger happy and thick headed..
always film them, and keep them accountable.

Thats because they are all veterans of two wars in Iraq and the ongoing war in Afganistan. Might have something to do with thier soldier like behavior. Many of them are police officers to begin with, who either joined the reserves before they became officers or after they became officers. Or enkisted in the armed forces to gain veterans status upon taking the civil service exam.

despite people saying, 'if you have nothing to hide, you have nothing fear', thats no longer true. they find ways.

i've seen tons of videos of police start beating the crap out of someone, in a few cases killing them, then trying to report 'resisted arrest' when the videos clearly show otherwise.

I would like to see the videos and arrest reports your referencing.

i'm not against the idea of policing, but i am against this new batch of storm troopers out for blood, who manipulate the system to abuse people.

and lets turn that around.. if the police have nothing to hide, they have nothing to fear.

film them always.
Make sure you audio record as well!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Swimmer; 07-22-2013 at 03:52 PM..

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Old 07-22-2013, 04:03 PM   #7
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

She initiated the interaction by antagonizing the officer walking in between the two cars entering his area that he has to control for his own safety, but you think she did nothing. She had been drinking, when the officer admonished her, she was mouthy. Oh yah, "I didn't say anything wrong". 1a.m. and she just rolled out of a barroom. It sounded like she was showing off for her buddies. The officer is wrong for allowing her face to hit the pavement enough to cause that damage, but if she went around the cruiser and the stopped car nothing at all would have happened.

All of your complaint and example you give during your post all involve drinking. Drinking and paranoia!
Old 07-22-2013, 04:43 PM   #8
GonnaCatchABig1
must find the fish

She wanted a BAC test at the hospital... to prove that otherwise. And either way.. a simple "hey get away from the car" would suffice. Plus other witnesses backed her story, and there's video of over use of force.

I assure you i was nothing but polite when i was asking my question. The officer I was dealing with had a chip on his shoulder. He was taking my statement as a witness when i asked my questions. A statement completely left off of the report mind you...

and yeah maybe paranoid. But when i walk by the average Joe on the street, i am not fearful. When i walk by a cop i am afraid for my life every time. Even when doing nothing wrong. You never know what kind of day the guy is having, and he's armed to the teeth with the ability to ruin your life if he feels like it.
i really wish that wasn't the case, but more and more i see these giant gorilla like police officers with angry scowls on their face, usually fresh back from a war zone. They just do what they are taught to do. Neutralize threats. 20 years ago, they would work with people to solve problems. Now they just slap on cuffs, or beat them, or kill them. Cause officers safety some how trumps the publics safety now. If a suspect is causing an immediate threat... do what you have to do. But lethal force or any force should always be last resort. Not just a short cut to fixing the problem.

for instance a guy with knife... no hostage just having a tough time.. keeping his distance from the cops, should not be shot. He should be tazed and pepper sprayed.. but these days, they'll shoot him and use the "threat' as a justification. And legally it is. But that's not how they should have dealt with it..
Old 07-22-2013, 05:16 PM   #9
GonnaCatchABig1
must find the fish

here's a short list of police using ridiculous tactics against people

http://www.heraldtribune.com/article...130719612/2256

http://www.infowars.com/report-bicyc...theterization/

http://www.newschannel5.com/story/22...-youtube-video

http://www.courthousenews.com/2013/07/03/59061.htm

http://photographyisnotacrime.com/20...-kill-his-dog/

http://photographyisnotacrime.com/20...eo-of-assault/

these are like.. 1/3rd of the stories i know about that were posted this month alone... i'm not even going to dig in to the stupid ones.
the way police treat people these days is out of control. and yeah one can argue times are more dangerous now than before, but on can't become the very monster they are trying to defeat. i can no longer trust the judgement of a police officer. i have a good repoire with quite a few of them, and they are decent enough guys. but more and more they are becoming soliders, trained to neutralize not to assist. hell if you ask them, a lot of them will even say, it's not their job to help people. just to enforce the law. it's the wrong attitude. and then they get tanks, and automatic weapons, they hardly ever get charged when they take it to far. it really makes me angry. they are becoming above the law, and no one cares. they will care when it's too late.

There he stands, draped in more equipment than a telephone lineman, trying to outwit an organism with a brain no bigger than a breadcrumb, and getting licked in the process. ~Paul O'Neil, 1965
Old 07-22-2013, 05:21 PM   #10
GonnaCatchABig1
must find the fish

there was a picture accompanying this blurb, it showed the officer holding the dog down with his knee on it's back.

"The dog was named Parrot.
This was taken moments before Parrot was murdered by the cop. The cop drove his knee into the middle of Parrot's back while stretching Parrot's forelegs behind him, as one would do with an armed criminal. Without waiting to determine whether this technique would calm Parrot, the cop grabbed Parrot, lifted him off the ground, and brought him to the top of the concrete staircase.

He threw Parrot over the banister, down twelve steps, and onto the concrete floor. Then, the cop stood at the top of the stairs, drew his weapon, and executed Parrot. Aaron, the animal's owner, cannot recall the number of shots fired. Witnesses state that Parrot was not harming anybody and was simply frightened by the cop. At no time did Parrot try to bite the officer, all he did was start barking.

It doesn't matter if you are a part of an Occupy movement, PETA, Republican, Democrat, Independent Religious or not, if you are a part of the human race this should be a wake up call that something is very wrong with our society.

Isn't brutally killing animals something that most Serial Killers do right before they switch to killing humans?"

There he stands, draped in more equipment than a telephone lineman, trying to outwit an organism with a brain no bigger than a breadcrumb, and getting licked in the process. ~Paul O'Neil, 1965
Old 07-22-2013, 05:32 PM   #11
GonnaCatchABig1
must find the fish

and this is why i'm afraid.. this is what happens to honest and good officers who try to uphold the law... seen three cases of this type of stuff this year alone. when officers speak out against the bad eggs..

IOWA -- After having the audacity to instruct troopers to give the governor's speeding 84-MPH vehicle a traffic ticket, Larry Hedlund was investigated and fired. The ruling class will not tolerate being subjected to the same petty standards as the peons.

Hedlund, a 25-year veteran criminal investigation agent in Iowa, was fired after he ordered a Chevy Tahoe stopped for speeding at 84 miles per hour—a Tahoe that, unbeknownst to him, belonged to Gov. Terry Branstad, and was being driven by a state trooper.

Hedlund later filed a complaint that state officials were being allowed to drive recklessly with impunity, and found himself suspended the next day. He was fired for “negative and disrespectful messages” about his superiors and told his employment had been “counterproductive to the best interests of the department.”

“I’ve been treated like a criminal,” Hedlund told The Des Moines Register a few hours after he learned he had been fired. “The best analogy I can give you is that they investigated me like I was a murderer, and in the process they murdered my career.”
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...agent/2529743/

Old 07-22-2013, 05:41 PM   #12
GonnaCatchABig1
must find the fish

and a quick article on the militarization i spoke of...

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...780519904.html

"Consider today's police recruitment videos (widely available on YouTube), which often feature cops rappelling from helicopters, shooting big guns, kicking down doors and tackling suspects. Such campaigns embody an American policing culture that has become too isolated, confrontational and militaristic, and they tend to attract recruits for the wrong reasons.

If you browse online police discussion boards, or chat with younger cops today, you will often encounter some version of the phrase, "Whatever I need to do to get home safe." It is a sentiment that suggests that every interaction with a citizen may be the officer's last. Nor does it help when political leaders lend support to this militaristic self-image, as New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg did in 2011 by declaring, "I have my own army in the NYPD—the seventh largest army in the world."

The motivation of the average American cop should not focus on just making it to the end of his shift. The LAPD may have given us the first SWAT team, but its motto is still exactly the right ideal for American police officers: To protect and serve.

SWAT teams have their place, of course, but they should be saved for those relatively rare situations when police-initiated violence is the only hope to prevent the loss of life. They certainly have no place as modern-day vice squads.

Many longtime and retired law-enforcement officers have told me of their worry that the trend toward militarization is too far gone. Those who think there is still a chance at reform tend to embrace the idea of community policing, an approach that depends more on civil society than on brute force.

In this very different view of policing, cops walk beats, interact with citizens and consider themselves part of the neighborhoods they patrol—and therefore have a stake in those communities. It's all about a baton-twirling "Officer Friendly" rather than a Taser-toting RoboCop."

which i couldn't agree with more. because most of the friendly guys i meet are on detail or walking the beat.

Last edited by GonnaCatchABig1; 07-22-2013 at 05:52 PM..

Old 07-22-2013, 05:56 PM   #13
GonnaCatchABig1
must find the fish

look at how they chose to deal with a suicidal 15 yr old kid..

http://www.spencerdailyreporter.com/story/1987754.html

that is absolutely absurd. whether or not they could have avoided tragedy is up in the air... but really? a military style response for a kid?? come on..

this would have probably been the outcome anyway..

http://gawker.com/5955454/they-broug...-police-sniper

they got called to help prevent a 16 yr old from killing himself... showed up ready for violence and killed the kid anyway.. why even call? they show up ready for a fight. it's the WRONG ATTITUDE.

Old 07-22-2013, 07:28 PM   #14
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonnaCatchABig1 View Post
here's a short list of police using ridiculous tactics against people
Don't need a short list.....just need one....

http://www.odmp.org/search/year?year=2012

Feel free to plug in any year for reference

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 07-22-2013, 08:41 PM   #15
GonnaCatchABig1
must find the fish

So a police officers life is more important than the lives of those they are sworn to protect and serve??

i can' play the fatality list game too... here's a list of innocent people killed by cops.. i can tell you one thing, if anyone ever approached me, or treated me the way police do, and didn't have a badge, you best believe there would be a big problem. I have zero tolerance for bullies, as i have been bullied my whole life. I see the same exact behavior from many police that i saw on the play ground.

http://www.innocentdown.org

theres 60 on the front page there.. and these people don't go around pointing guns in peoples faces, threatening them with life ruining charges, and dont show up in gangs of 10 plus..

again i am alllll for just policing of laws that protect people, and I admit to the need for police. My favorite show growing up was cops. I wanted to be one. Making excuses for excessive force, by saying one officers life is more important than the laws they are sworn to uphold, and the people they are sworn to protect, reallllly rubs me the wrong way. Especially when the officer is nothing but a criminal with a badge. If they don't want to put themselves in dangerous situations, they shouldn't be cops. Period. legalized murder is still murder. Legalized assault is still assault. Badge or not people shouldn't act that way, and when they do, badge or not, they should face the consequences. Not get a slap on the wrist, paid leave, and then handed back their weapons and power.

Last edited by GonnaCatchABig1; 07-22-2013 at 08:47 PM..
Old 07-24-2013, 11:36 PM   #16
WESTPORTMAFIA

[QUOTE=GonnaCatchABig1;1007323]

i can tell you one thing, if anyone ever approached me, or treated me the way police do, and didn't have a badge, you best believe there would be a big problem. I have zero tolerance for bullies, as i have been bullied my whole life. I see the same exact behavior from many police that i saw on the play ground.

Seriously? I will pay you $500 to come to Fall River at 2am on Saturday. I'll drop you off and record from my cell phone what will happen to you by non police in a matter of 2 minutes. And after you are robbed, bleeding and probably half naked you will call the cop's that you hate so much. The only big problem you would have is trying to find money to pay for your ambulance ride and other medical expenses. Cut the crap here
Old 07-25-2013, 05:22 AM   #17
fishbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by WESTPORTMAFIA View Post
Seriously? I will pay you $500 to come to Fall River at 2am on Saturday. I'll drop you off and record from my cell phone what will happen to you by non police in a matter of 2 minutes. And after you are robbed, bleeding and probably half naked you will call the cop's that you hate so much. The only big problem you would have is trying to find money to pay for your ambulance ride and other medical expenses. Cut the crap here
Couldn't he use the $500 you just gave him?

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
Old 07-25-2013, 11:40 AM   #18
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbones View Post
Couldn't he use the $500 you just gave him?
Funny stuff !!
Old 07-25-2013, 11:54 AM   #19
WESTPORTMAFIA

He would have to get it back from the Spanish crossdressing prostitutes that robbed him.
http://www.heraldnews.com/news/x6066...-to-rob-client
Old 07-25-2013, 12:15 PM   #20
fishbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by WESTPORTMAFIA View Post
He would have to get it back from the Spanish crossdressing prostitutes that robbed him.
http://www.heraldnews.com/news/x6066...-to-rob-client
Is that why I haven't seen Coen around lately?

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
Old 07-25-2013, 06:58 PM   #21
t.orlando

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbones View Post
Is that why I haven't seen Coen around lately?
Thank you..lol... picking up the slack for Westport
Old 07-25-2013, 09:48 PM   #22
WESTPORTMAFIA

Lol

Last edited by WESTPORTMAFIA; 07-25-2013 at 10:00 PM..
Old 07-26-2013, 08:41 AM   #23
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Community policing was brought about to get peoples minds off the idea of civilian review boards. CP is and was a childish way to placate certain members of different communities. Lip service, (with very little actual interaction) but for another name. What works is getting back to basics, such as utilizing a foot patrol. Your examples are extremely biased reports of incidents by people who have something to gain. Not every officer is going to do a good job. Some shouldn't have the job. Police departments are supposed to be a refection of the community, which means that every departments is going to have defective under achievers on the job as well as over-achieving hard working officers, and every possible type of person in between. So if you don't like what you see in uniform, one only has to look in the community mirror and you'll see the problem.
Old 07-28-2013, 01:28 AM   #24
GonnaCatchABig1
must find the fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmer View Post
Community policing was brought about to get peoples minds off the idea of civilian review boards. CP is and was a childish way to placate certain members of different communities. Lip service, (with very little actual interaction) but for another name. What works is getting back to basics, such as utilizing a foot patrol. Your examples are extremely biased reports of incidents by people who have something to gain. Not every officer is going to do a good job. Some shouldn't have the job. Police departments are supposed to be a refection of the community, which means that every departments is going to have defective under achievers on the job as well as over-achieving hard working officers, and every possible type of person in between. So if you don't like what you see in uniform, one only has to look in the community mirror and you'll see the problem.
I agree completely.

The problem is the feds stepping in and taking policing from a local thing to a national thing. The DHS requires them to carry military weapons and take the military style training. Which would be all well and good for SWAT teams and the like who are called in to deal with dangerous threats. It is not good for the average joe officers patrolling the streets. It instills in them the perception of threat from everyone and everything they encounter. The "new kids" aren't policing friendly faces. They are doing a job, and doing it how they were told to. If you talk with older officers, they are great. They get to know people, they get to know what actually constitutes a threat, they start understanding different type of peoples needs. But now there's a wave of militarized younger guys, who have no clue, (not all but most) they just think they are there to kick a$$ and take names. I get dailllly reports of misconduct. Which can be expected, mistakes happen. People lose their cool under stress. The problem I have.. is the system behind it covering those officers rear quarters. Not charging them, not punishing them at all in most cases, bending the laws, or outright ignoring them, thinking they can do what ever to who ever with no consequences. That is what makes me irate. Thats the reason I post this crap everywhere. Because like you said it's a reflection on the community, and the community collectively has it's head up its behind on this issue. The only way to get it to stop before it's far to out of control is to spread the news. That way people can complain to the proper channels and vent their frustrations about it to the proper people. So that these abusers of power are no longer allowed to be officers. Everyone makes mistakes, but when your mistakes are violent outburst, and have no sense respect for the people you are sworn to protect and serve, AND cost innocent peoples lives, or harm. You should be voided of being a police officer. They are there to insure our safety, they have proven they can not handle that responsibility it should be given to someone else. I would feel a lot safer that way. I don't like feeling like there is someone out there just looking for a reason to harass or arrest people. I'd rather it be someone looking to help and protect people. And there are a lot of cops like that out there.. But they are starting to be overshadowed by all the new laws, and rotten apples. At some point the good guys on the force need to take a stand, and so do the courts. 1 innocent person harmed is too many.

as to the other comments.. why so hostile? I don't hate police, i even stated that their service is necessary to society. Don't try spinning me as a cop hater, cause i only hate cops who abuse their positions. I hate any and everyone who abuses any power or status given to them. They are all equally scum in my book, and that could be any profession. It's just that in this case these pieces of crap, are in direct control whether WE live or die. they are the ones WE depend on. they are the ones WE look to for help, they are the ones WE expect to protect the people (not hurt them, and look to lock them away for the profits of a private prison system.) WE PAY THEM FOR THAT! WE need to make sure that every single one of them is doing what WE expect of them. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that!