Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » TUNA & Big Game

TUNA & Big Game TUNA - Offshore Fishing for Tuna and Other Big Game

Old 08-01-2009, 06:49 PM   #1
niko

freebie scores a nice one

so ryan put together a little tuna trip bachelor party w/ a few friends. we get to the dock around 3:30 and while loading the boat the guys notice a bunch of bass hanging around the lights. not one to squander an opportunity, i make a few casts and hook up and every gets a few laughs and we know it's going to be a good day. we had a pogie delivery scheduled but no dice so we decide to just troll and steam out to our spot. we set out the spread and in short order we are hooked up and the spool begins to empty. ryan gets on the harness and gets to work. he handles the fish like a pro and after a little sweating the fish is at the boat. i'm on the leader and dennis has the gaff ready to go. the fish bolts under the boat, the capt hits the throttle and dennis (on the swim platform) almost goes in the drink. the fish wraps the line on the rudder just as we hit him with a belly gaff shot. the fish is half way under the boat and i yell for a tail wrap. capt. brian passes me the rope and we get him on the boat and bleed him. we set up the spread again but don't have any takers even though a few fish come into the spread. as the morning wore on we decided to try our luck w/ groundfish. after a short run to the east side we end up in the land of short cod but there were some haddock in the mix so we grind out a few fish, at least all the guys get to pull on some fish so it's all good. back at the dock we start butchering and ryan starts hooking up on bass w/ tuna chunks. we wrap up the long day w/ tuna steaks for everyone. another great day on the water, got to meet some new friends and had a ball. thanks ryan, always fun fishing w/ you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jjhl.jpg (397.8 KB, 54 views)
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 07:25 PM   #2
freebie

thanks Paul and everyone else for coming out and enjoying one of my last days of freedom with me, Dennis and yourself did an awesome job on getting that fish in the boat under the circumstances, Pat is still talking about the whale show, Brian said we're all welcome back anytime we want, one of the best crews he's had on that boat
freebie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 07:28 PM   #3
Moses

Congrats on the fish!!

And good luck with your next big step.

Mike Malone
Moses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 09:18 PM   #4
fish4striper

Nice job guys, congrats Freebie!
fish4striper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 09:35 PM   #5
Piscator

It was a pleasure to fish with you guys today. Niko, Thanks again for saving me from going into the drink with a gaffed BF. Ryan, Nice work and congrats! Just about as a perfect a day you could ask for.
Piscator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 11:09 AM   #6
freebie

here's a few more pictures, one during the fight, good one of Niko tail roping the fish and the fish in the boat
Attached Images
File Type: jpg paul with the tail rope.jpg (36.0 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg on the fish 1.jpg (38.3 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg fish in the boat.jpg (43.1 KB, 37 views)
freebie is offline   Reply With Quote