Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 08-01-2019, 12:11 PM   #31
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post

So teaching is a kind of work that you do not need to be paid for, or just less valuable in your mind and should only be done by old maids?
yup...that's exactly what he said
Old 08-01-2019, 12:16 PM   #32
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
"Just how much, now that you are an admitted communist, would you set education professionals compensation at?"

Here in CT, education compensation is at levels that are tens of billions of dollars more, than the highest taxes in the country, could ever fund. That is mathematical fact. And it suggests to me, that the spending is the problem.

So I'd set all public employee compensation at whatever can be funded by reasonable taxes. I'm sure that sounds bonkers to you.

"Thinking that professors salaries drives the cost of higher ed is incorrect, here is one retired dean's take on it."

I love it when you find one guy somewhere who writes something, and as long as it's liberal, that's good enough for you to give it 100% credibility.
We all get to vote for or run for the positions that control our taxes. Apparently the majority of the residents of Connecticut disagree with you. Quit whining, do something or move.

You find that viewpoint on higher ed liberal?
Just how would the conservative viewpoint differ from that?

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 08-01-2019, 12:21 PM   #33
scottw

Quote:

Quit whining, do something or move.
if trump said this it would be racist
Old 08-01-2019, 12:28 PM   #34
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
yup...that's exactly what he said
syllable for syllable.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 08-01-2019, 12:31 PM   #35
Jim in CT

Pete what did i say, that you could POSSIBLY interpret, as my inferring that teachers should work for free?

i was a public schoolteacher. i know how hard it is. but they are public servants, and they have no right to compensation that places an unfair tax burden on the shoulders of the public they claim to serve.
Old 08-01-2019, 12:33 PM   #36
scottw

Quote:

Pete what did i say, that you could POSSIBLY interpret, as my inferring that teachers should work for free?

voices in his head
Old 08-01-2019, 12:40 PM   #37
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
voices in his head
is there another explanation?
Old 08-01-2019, 01:39 PM   #38
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:

i was a public schoolteacher. i know how hard it is. but they are public servants, and they have no right to compensation that places an unfair tax burden on the shoulders of the public they claim to serve.

Here is a link to the Constitution, perhaps you can point out where it says they don't have some right.

https://constitutionus.com/

I know a number of teachers who worked in the private sector, that have told me teaching is easier. They enjoyed their work. Math teachers seem to have it easiest, after a few years they just roll over testing and lesson plans from prior years. Then it's mostly the good part, working with students.

Teachers are public servants, not slaves and have the same rights as do all of us to the compensation they can negotiate. They don't negotiate for the public, nor should they. They organize as a group and elect someone to negotiate as do taxpayers.

Why did you stop teaching?

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 08-01-2019, 01:58 PM   #39
Jim in CT

Quote:
I know a number of teachers who worked in the private sector, that have told me teaching is easier. They enjoyed their work. Math teachers seem to have it easiest, after a few years they just roll over testing and lesson plans from prior years. Then it's mostly the good part, working with students.

Teachers are public servants, not slaves and have the same rights as do all of us to the compensation they can negotiate. They don't negotiate for the public, nor should they. They organize as a group and elect someone to negotiate as do taxpayers.

Why did you stop teaching?
i didn’t say public servants have less rights. but they seem to think they have more rights than the rest of us. I can’t force them
to help fund my retirement, but they can sure as hell force me to fund theirs. i’ll reasonable taxes to help them, i feel no obligation to pay insane taxes. from where i sit, i see no limit to the portion of
my paycheck that public sector unions, and their members, feel entitled to. if i have to sell my house to fund their benefits ( in CT, unfounded debt is in excess of $30,000 for every human in the state, $150,000 for my family of 5) they will gladly accept that. They feel absolutely entitled to $150,000 from my family, on top of current taxes which are already insane. You could never get away with that in the private sector. Never ever ever.

i stopped teaching because i loved the kids. i hated the union, the administration, and many of the parents.