Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » TUNA & Big Game

TUNA & Big Game TUNA - Offshore Fishing for Tuna and Other Big Game

Old 07-16-2010, 02:37 PM   #1
MakoMike

NMFS Closes Atlantic Bluefin Tuna (BFT) Northern Area Trophy Fishery

NMFS closes the northern area Angling category fishery for large medium and giant ("trophy") BFT for the remainder of 201 O. Fishing for, retaining, possessing, or landing large medium and giant BFT (measuring 73 inches curved fork length or greater) north of39°18' N. lat. (off Great Egg Inlet, NJ,) is prohibited effective at 11:59 p.m., July 18, 2010.
The intent of this closure is to prevent overharvest of the Angling category northern area trophy BFT subquota of 1.7 mt. NMFS closed the southern area trophy BFT fishery effective June 12, 2010.
Anglers are reminded that all non-tournament BFT landed under the Angling category quota must be reported within 24 hours of landing either online at NMFS Permit Shop or by calling
(888) 872-8862. In Maryland and North Carolina, vessel owners must report their recreational tuna landings at state-operated reporting stations. For additional information on these programs, including reporting station locations, please call (410) 213-1351 (Maryland) or (800) 338-7804 (North Carolina).
Anglers may catch and release or tag and release BFT of all sizes, subject to the requirements of HMS catch-and-release and tag-and-release programs. NMFS regulations at 50 CFR 635.21(a)(1) require that all released BFT be released in a manner that will maximize survivability, and without removing the fish from the water. For further information on safe handling see: http://www.nmfs.noaa.gov/sfalPartner...ish/ethics.htm
NMFS may make further Angling category adjustments via inseason action, if warranted. This
notice is a courtesy to BFT fishery permit holders to help keep you informed about your fishery.
For additional information, ca1l (888) 872-8862 or (978) 281-9260, or go to
NMFS Permit Shop. Official notice of Federal fishery actions is made through filing such
notice with the Office of the Federal Register.

****MakoMike****

Http://www.Makomania.net

Official S-B Sponsor
MakoMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 02:54 PM   #2
chathamblue30
chathamblue30

Have to wonder how many people will bother with a rec permit next yr and just get the commercial permit.
chathamblue30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 03:16 PM   #3
Slick Moedee

As far as fish sizes I could see alot jump, but the cost of the commercial safty gear needed could limit some of those numbers.
Slick Moedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 05:01 PM   #4
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
No possible reason recs need to keep a 73 + in fish anyway !

LETS GO BRANDON
Raider Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 06:12 PM   #5
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Ronnie View Post
Same goes for charters since they're basically guided rec trips.
JohnnyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 06:14 PM   #6
buckman

Quote:
Says who??????
buckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 06:26 PM   #7
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
Says who??????
Says people who have a financial interest in tuna. Every discussion regarding tuna regs are met with similar comments.
Old 07-16-2010, 06:49 PM   #8
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Quote:
So that we all know, exactly what is your plan when you bring 73+ in fish boatside? I'm curious and will be looking into your answer for reasoning in making your statement. Because I sure as hell have a couple reasons........

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 07:05 PM   #9
Raider Ronnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
So that we all know, exactly what is your plan when you bring 73+ in fish boatside? I'm curious and will be looking into your answer for reasoning in making your statement. Because I sure as hell have a couple reasons........

Kill & sell

LETS GO BRANDON
Old 07-16-2010, 07:19 PM   #10
Raider Ronnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
Says people who have a financial interest in tuna. Every discussion regarding tuna regs are met with similar comments.

I agree 100%.
I have a financial interest and also have financial cost involved.

LETS GO BRANDON
Old 07-16-2010, 07:30 PM   #11
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Quote:
I agree 100%.
I have a financial interest and also have financial cost involved.
And the recs don't?

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
Old 07-16-2010, 07:37 PM   #12
Raider Ronnie

Quote:
And the recs don't?

No

LETS GO BRANDON
Old 07-16-2010, 07:45 PM   #13
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

Send a message via Skype™ to PRBuzz
Quote:
No
Several thousands of $$$ of gear even for a rec to go/start chasing tuna! No chance of recouping investment by selling a tuna, I think I have an investment!

Given the diversity of the human species, there is no “normal” human genome sequence. We are all mutants.
PRBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 07:46 PM   #14
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

That's laughable that you actually could think that way.

Old 07-16-2010, 08:09 PM   #15
Raider Ronnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRBuzz View Post
Several thousands of $$$ of gear even for a rec to go/start chasing tuna! No chance of recouping investment by selling a tuna, I think I have an investment!

"No chance of recouping investment by selling tuna"

I thought you had a rec permit ???

LETS GO BRANDON
Old 07-16-2010, 08:13 PM   #16
spence

-spence
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 09:36 PM   #17
chathamblue30
chathamblue30

Its pretty rough to shut down the majority of our tuna fishery this yr the 2nd week in June and then also shut us off the 73+ inch fishery a month later. All of us should just get the 6 pack license so we can play both sides of the game,that seems the most logical. For the extra 2K +/- in survival suits,epirbs and a used life raft that will most likely be the next big wave. Most of the rec guys already have epirbs and survival suits if they are travelling offshore anyway.
Old 07-16-2010, 09:38 PM   #18
JohnnyD

Just the same ol' "Don't take it from me, take it from the recs." I guess that whole "shared resource" argument the comms use only applies for when the commercial quota is being limited.

"Do as I say, not as I do" right?
Old 07-17-2010, 05:13 AM   #19
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

Quote:
"No chance of recouping investment by selling tuna"

I thought you had a rec permit ???
I do have a rec permit. My earlier comment wasn't stated as clearly as I liked, meant only to say that recs have put a lot of $$ into equipment too to chase these fish (many $ thousands). Being a rec there is no chance to recoup investment other than the sport of catching a tuna.

When those lines are in the water you never know what sized fish is going to hit but I would like someday to say (personal pride) that I had boated a giant (I'll settle for 73"). I have also told many people that with my boat, skills, and need that I really do not want to hook up with anything bigger than around 300lbs. This fishing gods may or may not be listening.

Given the diversity of the human species, there is no “normal” human genome sequence. We are all mutants.
Old 07-17-2010, 04:16 PM   #20
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Send a message via AIM to likwid
Quote:
And the recs don't?
Don't you know? Part time comms are more important than recs.

Ski Quicks Hole
likwid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 04:30 PM   #21
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

Sunday's (tomorrow, 18th) my only chance at getting a 73+", wish me luck!

Old 07-17-2010, 05:00 PM   #22
chathamblue30
chathamblue30

Well said Likwid
Old 07-17-2010, 05:19 PM   #23
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRBuzz View Post
Sunday's (tomorrow, 18th) my only chance at getting a 73+", wish me luck!
No. You could pay Ronnie his $1000 fee for a day of tuna fishing, get a 73+ fish, so he could sell it.......

Old 07-18-2010, 08:28 PM   #24
buckmanjr

I would be willing to bet that the angling category will be closed by the end of the season.

HOTREELS
buckmanjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 04:29 AM   #25
keeperreaper
Spot Preserver

Mark my words, the next slice to be taken out of the pie will be the Charter/headboat retention of 73" + fish. Take something from everybody and leave scraps for all. We were all sold a bundle of lies and if the disaster in the Gulf has any merit in the tuna spawn everyone will be shut down.

Make America Great Again.
keeperreaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 07:24 AM   #26
buckman

Quote:
No. You could pay Ronnie his $1000 fee for a day of tuna fishing, get a 73+ fish, so he could sell it.......
It is crucial to remember for Charter/Headboat Category permit holders, that while conducting a charter and fishing under recreational guidelines (e.g.: customers paying to go out fishing with you):

Effective June 12, 2010:

HMS Charter/Headboats fishing north of Great Egg Inlet, NJ, are eligible to retain 1 BFT (73"+) per vessel per year as a “trophy” fish for the boat.

I'm not sure how the Charter/ Headboat catagory now works!! The way they write the rules is retarded.
Old 07-19-2010, 07:45 AM   #27
Mr. Sandman

The charter permit rules are relatively simple but I still think all the rules are dumb. (and your right, the website sucks, it is very convoluted and confusing)

As I understand it...A charter permit holder can operate in either category..rec or comm and it is based on the FIRST fish you keep. If you take a small fish you are a rec that entire day and the charter/headboat retention rules for rec fishing apply that day. If you keep a 73+ you are a comm that day and the general category rules apply that day.
( you have to be a charter capt and have all the safety req like you would for comm fishermen to get this permit)

That said the measuring rules are downright dumb. First, it is not easy to accurately measure a live 72 in fish in water without bringing him into the boat and doing some damage to him. Yeah, if it is 50" you know he is too small and you let him go but as they approach 73, after a big battle, the waves, boat motion, excitement, and excited fish etc...it is not as easy to do a CFL measurement in the water in heavy seas.

Comms are bringing in a lot of short fish that are close but no cigar. One buyer told me he has rejected 35 fish this season so far. (he can not get caught with a undersized fish) OK..what then happens to this fish?

Rec's are fishing like mad in CC's and killing a lot of fish as well. Many are keeping illegal fish and cleaning them at sea and hiding their catch as a "who will know?" attitude. There is little enforcement out there.

I think they should stop with all the complex length measurements and just have a bag limit (what ever the number is) for all categories. Take 1, 2, 3 whatever makes sense of any size and say once you have your limit you have to stop fishing and head back to port. This would stop all the C&R (C&killing) that is going on and make it a lot simpler when a borderline fish is boat side.

As far as the equipment costs go...IMO every boat should have all that gear, not just survival suits, everything. This is no place for a small boat no matter what you see by the goons on the Saturday morning TV shows. What looks like a nice day can (and often does) turn into a nightmare in the afternoon for small boats. Inside the bay fine, but offshore is a different animal.

Last edited by Mr. Sandman; 07-19-2010 at 08:00 AM..
Mr. Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 09:08 AM   #28
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Send a message via AIM to likwid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sandman View Post
Comms are bringing in a lot of short fish that are close but no cigar. One buyer told me he has rejected 35 fish this season so far. (he can not get caught with a undersized fish) OK..what then happens to this fish?
Hoho you bringy fish to bak door. I rikey. You sell!

Ski Quicks Hole
likwid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 11:40 AM   #29
MakoMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sandman View Post

As I understand it...A charter permit holder can operate in either category..rec or comm and it is based on the FIRST fish you keep. If you take a small fish you are a rec that entire day and the charter/headboat retention rules for rec fishing apply that day. If you keep a 73+ you are a comm that day and the general category rules apply that day.
( you have to be a charter capt and have all the safety req like you would for comm fishermen to get this permit)
You got that part right. Good luck to anyone who thinks you can get all the required safety equipment for 2 grand. Basically the tuna permits are a trade off, you get the angling permit you give up keeping big fish but you can keep smaller fish <73 inches. You get the General permit, you can't keep small fish but you keep the bigguns. You takes yer choice.

****MakoMike****

Http://www.Makomania.net

Official S-B Sponsor
MakoMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 12:19 PM   #30
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakoMike View Post
You got that part right. Good luck to anyone who thinks you can get all the required safety equipment for 2 grand. Basically the tuna permits are a trade off, you get the angling permit you give up keeping big fish but you can keep smaller fish <73 inches. You get the General permit, you can't keep small fish but you keep the bigguns. You takes yer choice.
You don't need a captains license for Commercial and for around 4k you could get the stuff you need. I have priced it out. That being said, I don't think 4k is alot of money when you consider the cos of boat and gear. I was thinking it would be smart to have the stuff regardless. Alot of Recs go where and when the Comm's go anyway.