Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » StriperTalk!

StriperTalk! All things Striper

Old 02-11-2020, 10:16 AM   #31
Sea Dangles

The thought of making a certain weight into a trophy fish is also an irresponsible joke of an idea. You can also never mind with a tape measure for all of my concerns. How a large fish constitutes a trophy is beyond me at this stage.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Sea Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 11:02 AM   #32
Clammer

H H try & get everyone to do it .even RISSA went with no 3 & Steve never bucks his meal ticker on the charter boats .

I sat back last night * listened to D/C cry povety .hr fished hard .but them starts with part timer, & etc

well a lot of charter captains either are or retired & became one
&& I don,t have any idea on how many have commercial licenses ><> Just go spend a late day evening on the docks & see who comes with fish .
one dealer posts the names of those that sell there ..WOW .

& can you just see if we co 30 -40 … every boat in New England & then some will be here .
I heard they were going to make a new ramp for the mass commercial for their own private use . so they can get in & out ………………….. 40 apprx 24/25# & throw back over & under >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>catch you personal best & your throwing it back /RIGHT
I can see the belly up floaters now last night in the middle of the bass .a charter captain wanted their exp for tautog increase from 5 to six per man / DEM gut said too late /ask again next year…………………………….. exp 6 guys plus the captain & mate …… that,s 48 tautog were allowed 10 per boat . that,s it …...are we really suppose to believe that they then go out again a seperate trip to catch ten & then sell them ..
they work real hard , but please . sick of hearing all the poor me ……………….& then keep seeing the actual me .not all , but plenty

ENJOY WHAT YOU HAVE !!!

MIKE
Clammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 11:30 AM   #33
Headhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
The thought of making a certain weight into a trophy fish is also an irresponsible joke of an idea. You can also never mind with a tape measure for all of my concerns. How a large fish constitutes a trophy is beyond me at this stage.
Not going to bite. At least I went to the meeting last night and will submit a response thru the mail. I released about 50 surf fish last year that would be above the option 3 slot, already doing my part.
Headhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 12:18 PM   #34
Clammer

HH ya could have ssaid HELLO

D/Z & I were talking about freshwater

ENJOY WHAT YOU HAVE !!!

MIKE
Old 02-11-2020, 01:16 PM   #35
Headhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clammer View Post
HH ya could have ssaid HELLO

D/Z & I were talking about freshwater
All in all I like to keep a low profile, that is why I choose to submit in writing. If I could find the darn place to send it, lol. I will have to look at the dem site I am sure it is there.
Old 02-11-2020, 01:45 PM   #36
Clammer

I,m waiting for a e-mail address /if it comes I,ll get it to you

ENJOY WHAT YOU HAVE !!!

MIKE
Old 02-11-2020, 03:03 PM   #37
Headhunter

Much appreciated.
Maybe some others will follow suit and we might have a prayer avoiding a moratorium.
Old 02-11-2020, 03:40 PM   #38
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headhunter View Post
Much appreciated.
Maybe some others will follow suit and we might have a prayer avoiding a moratorium.
Bring it. Shut the whole thing down. Save the bass. Anyone opposed to it is obviously selling bass to their favorite restaurant.
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 03:54 PM   #39
Guppy
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
Bring it. Shut the whole thing down. Save the bass. Anyone opposed to it is obviously selling bass to their favorite restaurant.
This,,, just start er up again before I’m gone...
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 04:33 PM   #40
tlapinski
All up in the Interweb!

Comments for Rhode Island may be submitted as follows:

RI Department of Environmental Management
ATTN: Peter Duhamel
3 Fort Wetherill Road
Jamestown, RI 02835
peter.duhamel@dem.ri.gov

Co-Host of The Surfcast Podcast

"Out there in the surf is where it's at, that's where the line gets drawn in the sand between those who talk fishing and those who live it."
- a wise man.

One good fish, a sharpie does not make...

Certified rock hopping billy goat.
tlapinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 04:37 PM   #41
tlapinski
All up in the Interweb!

Quote:
Originally Posted by piemma View Post
Game fish status
I am not trying to fight or say that I am in any way for or against it, but I haven't been able to figure out how gamefish status alone is the saving grace when 90% of annual harvest is attributed to the recreational sector. I see this fix thrown around a lot, but unless I am missing something the math simply doesn't add up.

"Out there in the surf is where it's at, that's where the line gets drawn in the sand between those who talk fishing and those who live it."
- a wise man.

Old 02-11-2020, 05:53 PM   #42
Headhunter

Quote:
If you need to sell bass to fish you need a different job my man unless you are a licensed commercial. The commercial guys are not the problem either.

Thousands of charter boats x 3 to 5 people, multiply that times 2 times a day. I think that could be contributing to the problem. 28 to 35 will hopefully give the stocks a chance to replenish. We all need to do our share.
Old 02-11-2020, 05:53 PM   #43
Headhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlapinski View Post
Comments for Rhode Island may be submitted as follows:

3 Fort Wetherill Road
Jamestown, RI 02835
peter.duhamel@dem.ri.gov
Thanks my good man!!
Old 02-11-2020, 09:28 PM   #44
Clammer

last night we turned in a 5 page petation [sp]

& ones that missed will follow with e- mails .some of us do both & go to the meetings

ENJOY WHAT YOU HAVE !!!

MIKE
Old 02-12-2020, 06:19 AM   #45
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Quote:
God I have been saying this since 2009. Moratorium or Game Fish status. And Eben, you're right, anyone who doesn't agree is selling.

No boat, back in the suds.
piemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 07:12 AM   #46
JFigliuolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by piemma View Post
God I have been saying this since 2009. Moratorium or Game Fish status. And Eben, you're right, anyone who doesn't agree is selling.
A HUGE issue is lack of enforcement. Make all the rules you want. If they are not enforced only the people who care will follow them and for the most part they are NOT the problem.

Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement -- Keith Benning
JFigliuolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 07:14 AM   #47
JFigliuolo

Toby/Mike/HH,

What were the options discussed? I'd like to email comment, but I am guilty of not being in attendance (ever).

Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement -- Keith Benning
JFigliuolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 07:39 AM   #48
tlapinski
All up in the Interweb!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFigliuolo View Post
Toby/Mike/HH,

What were the options discussed? I'd like to email comment, but I am guilty of not being in attendance (ever).
RI currently has three options as follows:
  • 1 fish, 28 - <35, OR
  • 1 fish, 32 - <40 for all, OR
  • Split mode 1 fish, 32 - <40 private/shore and 1 fish, 30 - <40 for-hire

Here is a write-up I did on where each states stands, recreaitonally, from ME to VA: http://www.thefisherman.com/index.cf...3&ParentCat=19.

- a wise man.

Old 02-12-2020, 07:51 AM   #49
Headhunter

What about the people that are taking fish to put on the table? Any fish market you go to would love to have stripe bass to sell at 14 to 20.00 a pound because people happen to like it. I think it is a great tasting filet if the fish is 10 to 14 or 16 pounds. On that basis it would sadden me to see a moratorium, unfortunately I think we might damn well end up there. Option 3,1 fish 28 to 35 is the best option being offered. I would still like to see a "holy grail slot" 48" and above with a split mode weight limit. So I guess I don't agree, and like I said before I released in the neighborhood of 50 fish last season that were above 35"

Who ever is selling fish to restaurants is going to keep doing it. It was and will continue to be illegal, no slot limit or moratorium is going to stop them. We need much stronger enforcement and harsher penalties to stop that.

Last edited by Headhunter; 02-12-2020 at 08:00 AM..
Old 02-12-2020, 08:37 AM   #50
bart
Red Eye Jedi

Quote:
I am not trying to fight or say that I am in any way for or against it, but I haven't been able to figure out how gamefish status alone is the saving grace when 90% of annual harvest is attributed to the recreational sector. I see this fix thrown around a lot, but unless I am missing something the math simply doesn't add up.
^^^ This
bart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 08:39 AM   #51
bart
Red Eye Jedi

Quote:
If you need to sell bass to fish you need a different job my man unless you are a licensed commercial. The commercial guys are not the problem either.

Thousands of charter boats x 3 to 5 people, multiply that times 2 times a day. I think that could be contributing to the problem. 28 to 35 will hopefully give the stocks a chance to replenish. We all need to do our share.
^^^ This, too
bart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 08:50 AM   #52
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
If game fish status prevents anything other than an illegal harvest, doesn't that in and of itself help protect the breeders and also narrow the focus of enforcement? All you need to do is look at the success FL has had and I can't see a negative to game fish status, other than the commercials who probably can't make a living off stripers at this point anyway.
Got Stripers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 09:54 AM   #53
Clammer

toby , at the workshop it looked like a charterboat setup … we were told that we had to be in line with NY & cONN & was going to be one of 3 options ..& they were all 3o,s to 40 no options /chance of28 -35 .
then something happened going to the store ,,,,,,, everyone /other state went 28-35 " so we has the 3 options that were posted above ……………………...It basically was the rec & tackle shops going for 28 to 35 & a room full on charter boats saying the world will end if they don,t get the 30-40 ………………………………. which would put every fisherman from the rest of the world that wants a fish bigger then 35 crashing RI /leaving a pile of floaters & if DEM would enforce the another pile of violations ………
not much on ri commercial . we had worked it out at the workshop. it was a 3 way choice on less day s & less or status quo on fish ,,,,,,,,,,,, we settled for 4. day 5 fish with 3 days off ……..its either going to be F,S,S or T,F,S

the rest both commercial were kinda as expected . one rec fisherman asked why they can,t move up the sea bass dates .to earlier in June so they have a chance at them in the bay / which I 100% agree . but that not going to happen …………… pretty much everything else was as expected but rec & commercial ….if I missed anything / please chime in > you see the e-mail above ..voice your option ><> its pretty much common sense .but you have a [for hire ]group that they plead / yet they have exceptions for every species except stripers …………… they want their own rules ……… but also comm rules ….because a large majority of the have commercial licenses ><>< I could see this over [woman] but fish

no matter what changes that are made .the fish are in trouble ………………….. modification can keep up with realty ………………………………………. there are more & more people fishing , newer & better fishing gear & elctronics , F/F GPS ect &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& there never will be enough fish ………………….. are is there really global warming

ENJOY WHAT YOU HAVE !!!

MIKE
Old 02-12-2020, 10:36 AM   #54
tlapinski
All up in the Interweb!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
If game fish status prevents anything other than an illegal harvest, doesn't that in and of itself help protect the breeders and also narrow the focus of enforcement? All you need to do is look at the success FL has had and I can't see a negative to game fish status, other than the commercials who probably can't make a living off stripers at this point anyway.
Again, not totally opposed just still not seeing the math here. So you end commercial (which, by the way, I have never been a part of) then you add a full 10% more fish back into the sea. Sure that's great, but are we just 10% off of having an ocean filled with bass? No, not in the least. Keep in mind that poaching is not commercial and it is not recreational as it's not accounted for in any way, shape or form as the ASMFC sates they have no way to calculate it.

As for the Florida comparison, it's like comparing apples to pineapples; sure they're both fruit (or maybe vegetables, I'm not sure what a pineapple really is )and both have the word apple in them, but how they grow, reproduce, are harvested and so on is very different.

- a wise man.

Old 02-12-2020, 10:49 AM   #55
MAKAI
Too old to give a....

Didn’t Florida make Tarpon a C&R only ?
Not that any of this matters much anymore, the oceans are kinda FKed anyway.
MAKAI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 05:17 PM   #56
Poncho

You can’t even take tarpon out of the waterz
Poncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 09:32 PM   #57
SAUERKRAUT
surfwalker

I am trying to recall any fishery-- freshwater trout, the Lake O fishery, Atlantic salmon, LMB, FL snook, giant grouper, etc.,-- that have been destroyed, degraded, or not enhanced by ELIMINATING commercial sale, trade, or commercial harvest of the species?

Take the money off the table. If this is done, fisheries management of the so-called "recreational sector" individuals will tolerate and indeed even self enforce just about any level of restriction right up to, and even including, no harvest, or moratorium if necessary. We did exactly this once before.

There should be no special carve outs for any individual angler. Effective fishery management must speak to the individual-- and not to groups-- commercial, charter boat, etc. The carve-out special interests do all the bickering.

Who said the recreationals are the reason for the striper downfall, and the commercial industry is faultless? Not by my definition.
SAUERKRAUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 10:21 PM   #58
Nebe

Quote:

I’m pretty sure most mates and even captains are keeping one a day to sell. Plus all those charter guests are taking them to either eat, give away or sell. Heck.looking back 10 or so years ago, a top dog charter captain/guide would let his son take his boat out every night and load her up to sell...
I was so disgusted I just quit surfcasting... corruption is not just a government problem. It’s also a problem when the people who are most vocal, published and making endorsements are also selling their catch. When a dude is stacking 6 20 pound bass in the bushes to sell every day, that is a pretty high paying job, don’t you think ??

Sorry for the rant.
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 10:47 PM   #59
Headhunter

High profile poaching must be dealt with in a more forceful and finite manner. Gear, boats, and vehicles should be confiscated. Not that it is rite but an extra fish here and there is one thing and the fine should be stiff enough to make someone think twice, outrite pouching is a whole different story.
Old 02-13-2020, 08:13 AM   #60
Headhunter

Quote:
RI currently has three options as follows:
  • 1 fish, 28 - <35, OR
  • 1 fish, 32 - <40 for all, OR
  • Split mode 1 fish, 32 - <40 private/shore and 1 fish, 30 - <40 for-hire

Here is a write-up I did on where each states stands, recreaitonally, from ME to VA: http://www.thefisherman.com/index.cf...3&ParentCat=19.
Just for clarification 28" to 35" no split mode is option 3. It is listed first above. Option 2 was the split mode option I believe, and option 1 was 32 to 40 for all.

You can email your choice to

3 Fort Wetherill Road
Jamestown, RI 02835
peter.duhamel@dem.ri.gov

Again if you want to keep the fishery open 28" to 35" is our best shot.