Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 02-07-2022, 08:42 AM   #451
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
So... One faculty was from John Hopkins, that doesn't mean 'John Hopkins Says'. Also, note the authors were economists, not public health professionals, epidemiologists, virologists etc... That doesn't invalidate it but I would have liked to see a more diverse background of authors on a meta analysis of this type...

So, then why is this one (flawed) meta analysis is making the rounds today as the proof that lock downs didn't work....

A "Meta Analysis" that used 34 studies (out of the thousands that have been done) examining these approaches to the mandates.

A meta analysis that limited studies so they were only by economists, political scientists AND NOT epidemiologists, virologists and other public health backgrounds.

A meta analysis that lumped 'lock downs' to include almost any mandate (masking, capacity limits, restaurants closing early etc..) and also not 'when' these 'lock downs' were implemented

Now why would these authors of this meta analysis (and yes, I keep restating the type of study for a reason) limit it to those few studies and lump everything together as a 'lock down'...

Perhaps to get the answer the study authors wanted?

And perhaps it is making the rounds this week because of confirmation bias?
all possibilities.

but again, if lockdowns were the answer, i’d think we’d see lower death rates in states with strictest lockdowns. are we seeing that with any consistency?

Everyone ( and i do it to, but not constantly) only pays attention when they see what they want to see.

if we should only be listening to epidemiologists ( which makes sense) please explain why teachers unions are wielding so
much influence in all this?

it’s been a largely political
exercise from day one, that applies to both sides.

if you want to say policy should
be formulated by epidemiologists, fine. But when the left takes its marching orders from teachers unions in terms of school policies, you sort of surrender your ability to make that argument, don’t you? in terms of school policy, we’ve ignored the science in return for appeasing teachers unions, and there’s no way you can make that wrong. The data is clear that schools arent transmission hot spots. i have no idea why that is, but it’s clearly the case. Yet we keep schools closed when teachers unions snap their fingers.

Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Last edited by Jim in CT; 02-07-2022 at 09:23 AM..
Old 02-07-2022, 08:52 AM   #452
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
but again, if lockdowns were the answer, i’d think we’d see lower death rates in states with strictest lockdowns. are we seeing that with any consistency?

I don't think we will ever be able to quantify over time the number of deaths that were a side effect of covid lockdowns from depression, isolation, delayed treatment/procedures, increased poor health habits which we know are/were all rampant... lack of early intervention and treatment also a big contributor

they knew very early on who were the most vulnerable, that is still the case....

it was all very political, still is...

I wonder if the democrats should try to ban "anti-vaxxers" from voting...that might work
Old 02-07-2022, 09:02 AM   #453
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
I don't think we will ever be able to quantify over time the number of deaths that were a side effect of covid lockdowns from depression, isolation, delayed treatment/procedures, increased poor health habits which we know are/were all rampant... lack of early intervention and treatment also a big contributor

they knew very early on who were the most vulnerable, that is still the case....

it was all very political, still is...

I wonder if the democrats should try to ban "anti-vaxxers" from voting...that might work
every life saved by a lockdown, needs to be weighed against the lives lost, and what must be staggering damage done to so many.

for whatever reason, the lefties here act like the lockdowns are their children. they can’t discuss any possible downside of lockdowns. the denial is really something. it’ll get more intense as we get closer to the midterms, if polling stays where it is, and that’s a big if.
Old 02-07-2022, 09:08 AM   #454
scottw

Quote:

for whatever reason, the lefties here act like the lockdowns are their children.

they also think governors who institute lockdowns and mandates of all kinds are not authoritarians but the governors who repeal lockdowns and mandates of all kinds ARE authoritarians...

so that's kinda what we're dealing with
Old 02-07-2022, 09:14 AM   #455
Jim in CT

Quote:
they also think governors who institute lockdowns and mandates of all kinds are not authoritarians but the governors who repeal lockdowns and mandates of all kinds ARE authoritarians...

as i said, that’s some impressive denial. you’re right, of course, they have it exactly backwards. trump displayed some totalitarian inclinations after the election loss for sure. but it didn’t work and almost nobody supports whet he tried to do. god i hope he doesn’t run again. but in the meantime, literally the only card they can play is that trump “is” the GOP. he’s the single
most influential person for sure, but a lot of republicans don’t like him.

if the polls stay where they are ( probably not but who knows) watch how unhinged they get as we get closer to november.
Old 02-07-2022, 09:14 AM   #456
PaulS

Quote:
So... One faculty was from John Hopkins, that doesn't mean 'John Hopkins Says'. Also, note the authors were economists, not public health professionals, epidemiologists, virologists etc... That doesn't invalidate it but I would have liked to see a more diverse background of authors on a meta analysis of this type...

So, then why is this one (flawed) meta analysis is making the rounds today as the proof that lock downs didn't work....

A "Meta Analysis" that used 34 studies (out of the thousands that have been done) examining these approaches to the mandates.

A meta analysis that limited studies so they were only by economists, political scientists AND NOT epidemiologists, virologists and other public health backgrounds.

A meta analysis that lumped 'lock downs' to include almost any mandate (masking, capacity limits, restaurants closing early etc..) and also not 'when' these 'lock downs' were implemented

Now why would these authors of this meta analysis (and yes, I keep restating the type of study for a reason) limit it to those few studies and lump everything together as a 'lock down'...

Lots of criticisms of the study are out there.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brucele...h=2ae66efd1225
Old 02-07-2022, 09:15 AM   #457
Jim in CT

Quote:

especially when there are endless examples of the democrat leaders happily violating the mandates they demand the rest of us live by.
Old 02-07-2022, 09:28 AM   #458
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post

sounds like unbiased commentary...

"Have you seen the so-called “Johns Hopkins study” that’s been making the social media and Bill Maher rounds lately? "

hope Rogan doesn't mention it...
Old 02-07-2022, 04:17 PM   #459
Pete F.
Canceled

Looks like Democrats might be doing something that works

Early in the pandemic, as COVID-19 hit urban centers – which tend to vote Democratic – Biden counties were the ones facing higher death rates. Notably, COVID-19 vaccines became available starting in December 2020, and a crossover in death rates occurred in early 2021, with the gap widening in ensuing months.

A similar but smaller trend exists when examining COVID-19 case data. Counties won by Biden have a rate of 21,657 cases per 100,000 people, compared with a rate of 23,022 cases per 100,000 for Trump counties – about a 6% increase. That gap roughly triples to 18% among counties where the candidate won by a margin of more than 50 percentage points.
Old 02-07-2022, 04:25 PM   #460
wdmso

Quote:

I tried that argument all ready! he saw it on Fox and now he's off to the races ,
Old 02-07-2022, 04:36 PM   #461
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post

What to know about Glenn Youngkin’s newest COVID-19 adviser
The governor-elect appointed Dr. Marty Makary, a regular Fox News commentator, to chair his new medical advisory team

kowtowing to the Base Classic
Old 02-08-2022, 05:08 AM   #462
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
What to know about Glenn Youngkin’s newest COVID-19 adviser
The governor-elect appointed Dr. Marty Makary, a regular Fox News commentator, to chair his new medical advisory team

kowtowing to the Base Classic
so you are saying he appointed an accomplished doctor as a medical advisor?
Old 02-08-2022, 05:59 AM   #463
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
so you are saying he appointed an accomplished doctor as a medical advisor?
he's appeared on Fox News, so obviously he's a Nazi Sympathizer

Dr. Marty Makary is a surgeon and public policy researcher at Johns Hopkins University. He writes for The Washington Post and The Wall Street Journal and is the author of two New York Times bestselling books, Unaccountable and The Price We Pay. Dr. Makary served in leadership at the World Health Organization Patient Safety Program and has been elected to the National Academy of Medicine.

Clinically, Dr. Makary is the chief of Islet Transplant Surgery at Johns Hopkins. He is the recipient of the Nobility in Science Award from the National Pancreas Foundation and has been a visiting professor at over 25 medical schools. He has published over 250 peer-reviewed scientific articles and has served as on several editorial boards.

Dr. Makary is the recipient of the 2020 Business Book of the Year Award by the Association of Business Journalists for his most recent book, The Price We Pay. It has been described by Don Berwick as “a deep dive into the real issues driving up the price of health care” and by Steve Forbes as “A must-read for every American”.

Dr. Makary serves as a professor at the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine and a professor, by courtesy, at the Johns Hopkins Carey Business School. His current research focuses on the underlying causes of disease, public policy, health care costs, and relationship-based medicine.

Education: Bucknell University, Harvard University, Thomas Jefferson University

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 02-08-2022, 06:20 AM   #464
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
he's appeared on Fox News, so obviously he's a Nazi Sympathizer

Dr. Marty Makary is a surgeon and public policy researcher at Johns Hopkins University. He writes for The Washington Post and The Wall Street Journal and is the author of two New York Times bestselling books, Unaccountable and The Price We Pay. Dr. Makary served in leadership at the World Health Organization Patient Safety Program and has been elected to the National Academy of Medicine.

Clinically, Dr. Makary is the chief of Islet Transplant Surgery at Johns Hopkins. He is the recipient of the Nobility in Science Award from the National Pancreas Foundation and has been a visiting professor at over 25 medical schools. He has published over 250 peer-reviewed scientific articles and has served as on several editorial boards.

Dr. Makary is the recipient of the 2020 Business Book of the Year Award by the Association of Business Journalists for his most recent book, The Price We Pay. It has been described by Don Berwick as “a deep dive into the real issues driving up the price of health care” and by Steve Forbes as “A must-read for every American”.

Dr. Makary serves as a professor at the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine and a professor, by courtesy, at the Johns Hopkins Carey Business School. His current research focuses on the underlying causes of disease, public policy, health care costs, and relationship-based medicine.

Education: Bucknell University, Harvard University, Thomas Jefferson University
but he has been on Foxnews! who cares that he’s an expert in causes of disease and public health policy?
Old 02-08-2022, 06:54 AM   #465
scottw

Quote:
but he has been on Foxnews! who cares that he’s an expert in causes of disease and public health policy?
has Fauci been on MSNBC?
Old 02-08-2022, 07:31 AM   #466
Jim in CT

Quote:
has Fauci been on MSNBC?
Never, nor on CNN. Nor has Faucci ever flip flopped or been wrong. nor has he ever lied to congress about funding gain of research at the Wuhan lab. Nope, not him.

You know, in Faucci's home office, he has a beautiful big desk where he works. Over the desk on the wall, is a massive oil painting of...himself. That's not even a little bit narcissistic. I can hear Faucci singing that Joe Cocker song, "I am so beautiful.....to me....I'm everything I ever hoped for...I'm everything I need..."
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	faucci.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	517.2 KB
ID:	68738  
Old 02-20-2022, 04:32 PM   #467
wdmso

Eric Trump slams COVID-19 vaccine as ‘stripping freedoms’
Old 03-09-2022, 07:49 AM   #468
scottw

WOW...

"She did not die from COVID. We all know that’s not true," the source said.

A CPS parent who asked to remain anonymous for fear of retribution told Chicago City Wire that CTU should be ashamed for misrepresenting the mothers' deaths.

"My God, the burden they placed on those young children who lost their mothers. Telling them basically, you killed your mothers by going to school," the parent said. "Shame on them! This proves they’ll stop at nothing to get what they want."

https://chicagocitywire.com/stories/...rself-to-death
Old 03-09-2022, 11:51 AM   #469
Pete F.
Canceled

Hmmm

September 28, 2021

Chicago’s top doctor asked for patience Tuesday while city officials investigate the death of a Chicago Public Schools mother whose daughter had been exposed to COVID-19 at her elementary school.

Dr. Allison Arwady, commissioner at the Chicago Department of Public Health, said her staff found no breaks in protocols at Jensen Elementary on the West Side, where Shenitha “Angel” Curry’s daughter attends 5th grade.

Curry, who was unvaccinated and had underlying medical conditions, passed away Thursday after a battle with COVID-19, her family said. Curry’s daughter was one of 205 students — more than half the student body at Jensen — directed to quarantine this month because of exposure to eight confirmed virus cases.

Before she died, Curry criticized CPS’ COVID-19 protocols in a Facebook post, and her sister said this week that Curry was sure her illness stemmed from the school.

CPS and the CDPH invited reporters to a media conference Tuesday to discuss the case, at the start of which Arwady said “my main goal here is to make it clear that there are a lot of things about this situation that are still under investigation.

“There are a lot of statements being made that we have not been able to verify at this time,” Arwady said.

“I would ask, please, as members of the media, to not be reporting things that are not proven facts. Because I think we’re seeing a lot of misinformation, frankly.”

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 03-09-2022, 12:31 PM   #470
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post

misinformation
I don't believe anyone who uses the word "misinformation"...
Old 03-09-2022, 02:17 PM   #471
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
Hmmm

September 28, 2021

Chicago’s top doctor asked for patience Tuesday while city officials investigate the death of a Chicago Public Schools mother whose daughter had been exposed to COVID-19 at her elementary school.

Dr. Allison Arwady, commissioner at the Chicago Department of Public Health, said her staff found no breaks in protocols at Jensen Elementary on the West Side, where Shenitha “Angel” Curry’s daughter attends 5th grade.

Curry, who was unvaccinated and had underlying medical conditions, passed away Thursday after a battle with COVID-19, her family said. Curry’s daughter was one of 205 students — more than half the student body at Jensen — directed to quarantine this month because of exposure to eight confirmed virus cases.

Before she died, Curry criticized CPS’ COVID-19 protocols in a Facebook post, and her sister said this week that Curry was sure her illness stemmed from the school.

CPS and the CDPH invited reporters to a media conference Tuesday to discuss the case, at the start of which Arwady said “my main goal here is to make it clear that there are a lot of things about this situation that are still under investigation.

“There are a lot of statements being made that we have not been able to verify at this time,” Arwady said.

“I would ask, please, as members of the media, to not be reporting things that are not proven facts. Because I think we’re seeing a lot of misinformation, frankly.”
I couldn't give less of a F*** about this story if I tried.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."