Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-02-2013, 03:21 PM   #1
Saltheart

Jet Planer/Jointer

I finally got to use my Jet planer/jointer. I did some planning. Thing worked great on hard maple.

Two things I would like to improve are
1) I wish the thickness adjustment had a finer adjustment. It feeds up .094 inches per turn of the crank. So about .023 per 1/4 turn. I suppose I could try to go an eigth of a turn but that seems to be pretty iffy. Now certainly the finess of the adjustment is not an issue getting down to thickness but I would like to just feed say 5 to 10 thousandths for the last pass to get the best finish. Finish is good now but if running over an area with a knot on the back side (can't see it on the finished side) the area over the knot can get a little (very little) tear out. Its pretty miniscule but I want it free from any imperfections if possible. Where there are no wood grain issues , the finish is absolutely perfect.

2) I get just a little snipe on the infeed side of the board I am planning. The tail end is perfect. Now I tried lifting as I feed it in but no mater what I do I get that little bit of snipe on the infeed end. The machine has an outfeed extension table but not an infeed extension table. Anyway , the amount of snipe is small and will sand off easily but of course no sanding for that problem would be better!

Any ideas/suggestions to solve these two issues?

Saltheart
Custom Crafted Rods by Saltheart
Saltheart is offline   Reply With Quote