Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Grumpy Old Pharts Board

Grumpy Old Pharts Board Gerritol, Ex-Lax, Immodium, Bad Breath - all requirements for the Grumpy Board

Old 06-22-2006, 12:52 PM   #1
cheferson

Us womens open

Gotta commute to work 1/8 mile away from where its being held all next week
cheferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 04:42 PM   #2
Gotofish

I hear ya Chef....I'm buried down in the 5th ward and If I don't make it out in time, I'm done!

Spend more time waiting to get out of the Stop and Shop lot than I do actually getting home.

Ed
"I caught you a delicious Bass."-Napolean Dynamite
Gotofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 04:52 PM   #3
Pete_G

I hope they get flooded out and never come back.
Pete_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 08:37 PM   #4
cheferson

Not bad , yet......
Old 06-28-2006, 08:39 PM   #5
cheferson

but the fire marshall threw in a wrench, no gas stove/grill in the outside kitchen, so now i have to cook in the banquet kitchen while there are 3+ functions for 150 people goping on, wtf, right before july 4th weekend
Old 06-28-2006, 08:58 PM   #6
Roseneath

[QUOTE=Gotofish]....I'm buried down in the 5th ward and If I don't make it out in time, I'm done!
QUOTE]

Stock up on food, alcohol and eels and we should make it through.
Roseneath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 09:54 PM   #7
Gotofish

Good call Roseneath. Between Sig's and 5th Ward liquers, the first two are covered and I just broke my hand so no need for eels since I can't fish!

Maybe I'll run in to Michelle Wie at the Boom Boom Room this weekend! (Don't worry, I'll get my roomates to set up the vid cam!)

Ed
Old 06-29-2006, 11:51 AM   #8
Gloucester2

Wrong sport and she's 16
Gloucester2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 01:58 PM   #9
Pete_G

My neighborhood is like a militarized zone. 3 National Guard troops in camoflage on almost every corner. And this is just practice rounds?

In the 1.5 miles I drive to work I passed 9 National guard troops, 8 State Police, 2 big flashing construction boards, and so many cars going down the road that it's tough just take a left off the street I live on to drive to work.

When is this mess over? I can't even park on Ocean Drive, not counting Brenton Point State Park. If there were any fish in the water out there I'd be kind of ticked off right now.
Old 06-29-2006, 02:49 PM   #10
Gotofish

Thanks Gloucester. I'm pretty sure she plays golf (which is what's happening here this weekend, basically what this thread is about) and I know she's young, although I'll admit I thought she was 15.

Ed
Old 06-29-2006, 09:11 PM   #11
Roseneath

THis thread got me thinking... maybe I don't have enough food and alcohol. so I just ran to BJs, Shaws, Stop and Shop and the Fifth Ward Packie... I think I'm allset.

Now if I can just squeek in some time to go fishing.
Old 06-30-2006, 12:16 PM   #12
Skip N

I'll be at the Tourny on Sunday, Most likely following this girl around... And unlike some of you that enjoy looking at 16 year olds, this one is 23.

http://www.nataliegulbis.com/
Skip N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 12:59 PM   #13
Pete_G

You must really like her. Because your going to have to sit in about 4 miles of stand still traffic before you can even get on a bus in Middletown which will then have to sit in gridlock all the way to Ocean Drive.

Unless you have VIP access or time things really well it could be a nightmare.

There's going to be violence somewhere in town this weekend, the locals are awful cranky out on the roadways today. Understandably so...
Old 06-30-2006, 01:03 PM   #14
cheferson

CAnt wait gonna go sit in traffic in about 15 minutes, then gotta fill all kinds of "holes" this weekend, only 11 more days till my next day off
Old 06-30-2006, 01:34 PM   #15
tobias

Natalie Gulbis
tobias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 03:27 PM   #16
Skip N

God what a bunch of whiners the locals are, suck it up and enjoy the tourny for the weekend. Its certainly good for the Newport economy and the state of RI. Its a great event, deal with it for a few days ya big babies.

Good lord the newport folks are whiners. They cant handle some traffic for a few days during a nice event.
Old 06-30-2006, 03:31 PM   #17
Skip N

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobias
Natalie Gulbis
yep, and assuming she makes the cut, she'll be playing 36 holes on Sunday. That alot of Natalie! Should be fun, i've never been to a pro golf event, let alone the US Open.

Just wish i were aloud to bring my camera and take some pics of the course.
Old 06-30-2006, 04:31 PM   #18
Pete_G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip N
God what a bunch of whiners the locals are, suck it up and enjoy the tourny for the weekend. Its certainly good for the Newport economy and the state of RI. Its a great event, deal with it for a few days ya big babies.

Good lord the newport folks are whiners. They cant handle some traffic for a few days during a nice event.

Heh. I hope they have footage on the news tonight. Then you'll understand. And unless they figure out how to do things better, you definitely will Sunday morning if you're parking in Middletown at St. George's. You'll be "parked" conservatively 4 miles before you park to get on the bus.

Good for the economy is highly relative, I bet business is slow at many businesses because of the traffic. Anyone who tries to come to the SWE from the West probably isn't going to make it, they're going to give up, turn around, and go home due to the traffic.

Some old couple actually parked in my driveway today since they didn't want to park at St. George's. I wasn't home at the time they arrived otherwise it NEVER would have happened. If that vehicle is in my driveway again tomorrow when I get home from work I'm going to have a field day with some dead eels. I doubt they'll try again though after the talking to they got when I saw them trespassing across the yard on their way back to their Ford Escape. I'm sure they didn't hear language like that anywhere on the golf course. Hopefully I ruined their day in Newport.

If tourists and visitors had an ounce of respect I suspect "locals" wouldn't get so ticked off.
Old 06-30-2006, 04:45 PM   #19
Redsoxticket

I was just offered free tickets abut I said no because of PeteG advise plus I'd rather rest up for fishing.
Redsoxticket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 04:52 PM   #20
Pete_G

They may well figure it out better tomorrow. They even use overhead surveillance to spot back ups, so it may get better.

If you love golf I'd go for it. Maybe park at the SWE and ride a bike to Ocean Drive. Or just go earlier or later. I'm not kidding about the traffic leading up to the satellite parking at St. George's though. 4 miles, maybe more if you're approaching from the West during the main rush.
Old 06-30-2006, 04:56 PM   #21
Redsoxticket

I don't care for golf
Redsoxticket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 01:25 PM   #22
redneck24
WTF

kmart sucks

diamondbanger
redneck24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 10:05 PM   #23
Roseneath

We're supposed to go to St Mary's Portsmouth (tomorrow morning). I am trying to convenice the wife that God would rather have me go fish and to avoid the traffice... so far no deal
Old 07-03-2006, 01:38 PM   #24
Skip N

So all this talk about the heavy traffic causing 4 mile back ups had me wondering what to expect on Sunday when i went to the Tourny. Well I came in from the east through Fall River and encountered ZERO traffic as i went through Middletown. Drove right into the parking area, hopped on a school bus, and had zero traffic going to the course.

Went back for the 18 playoff today, and the same thing, no traffic and everything was great.

Great job whoever organized the event, they did a nice job all around. Very well planned.
Old 07-03-2006, 03:04 PM   #25
basswipe

It was NOWHERE near as bad as everyone has made it out to be.The construction company I work for has half a dozen major jobs within a mile of the country club.Traffic was nuthin!I've seen it worse on a regular Summer Saturday night!

As far as fishing is concerned the only obstruction was no parking at Brenton Pt.Big deal.The money pumped into Newport in this one week more than makes up for what has been a dismal season for the city of Newport and Aquidneck Island as a whole.

We all like our little "welcome to Newport,now go home!" bumper stickers.Be careful what you wish for.Ask those who know what it was like after the Navy pulled out.What's left now of the Navy is miniscule compared to its pre-60s height.Newport and the Island got lucky and with margeting made it a MAJOR tourist destination.If the tourism dies so does this island.

So in conclusion quit yer bitchin' it just wasn't that bad!

And btw if you want to see REAL traffic go to one of 36 Nascar races,the Superbowl or a World Series game.Now that's traffic!
basswipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 03:21 PM   #26
Pete_G

Golf related traffic was minimal today; beach traffic is the real issue, St. George's isn't full at all so I don't think many actually came for the final 18 playoff or whatever was going on today. As long as it's finally over, beach traffic is normal and easily dealt with via backroads.

Friday and Saturday were the real horror shows for inbound golf fans in the AM. I live literally at the edge of St. George's, I could see the traffic out my windows and drove by it on my way to work Friday and Saturday. The traffic redirection was well done for the most part, unless they happened to put all the traffic in your neighborhood. Ocean Drive was dead quiet because no one could park out there, all spectators were dropped in my neighborhood in Middletown. Only people that actually drove into and parked in Newport for the tourney were VIP, as far as I know and even they were parked off of Bellevue.

Newport screwed over Middletown big time for the US Open.
Old 07-07-2006, 06:39 PM   #27
kevin d

The good old Newport complaints. Come on folks, drag out the old "I never go downtown between Memorial Day and Labor Day " speech. I can't believe this post has gone this far without that quote yet.

I also remember the panic the whole island went into when Nixon's revenge fell on the island. Just think of how much you would have to pay in taxes without the tourists. Come on now, the fines generated from the Urinating In Public tickets alone ought to fix all the pot holes in Newport. And the money generated from overpriced parking meters and the tickets issued to the cars who park illegally should generate more than enough money to keep the schools open. Now that I'm done I have to go figure out which I'd rather do: Watch paint dry, watch golf or watch the World Cup.

Please keep your tounge in cheek when reading the above
kevin d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 03:49 PM   #28
Gloucester2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotofish
Thanks Gloucester. I'm pretty sure she plays golf (which is what's happening here this weekend, basically what this thread is about) and I know she's young, although I'll admit I thought she was 15.
My bad . . . I thought it was tennis they were playing that weekend . . . but it was golf - you're right.

Tennis is this weekend
Gloucester2 is offline   Reply With Quote