Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 02-20-2011, 04:33 PM   #1
Jim in CT

Iraq war hero heckled at Columbia

Wounded Iraq veteran jeered for speaking in Columbia University ROTC debate - NYPOST.com

I can't imagine how this guy can stand to be surrounded by all these brats. These geniuses gave a warm welcome to the President of Iran, but heckle this guy?

My favorite quote...

"Universities should not be involved in military activities," Sociology Professor Emeritus Herbert Gans told The Post. "Columbia should come out against spending $300 billion a year on unnecessary wars."

And this moron teaches kids. If you have a problem with the rational for the war, then your problem is with the politicians, not with the soldiers on the ground.

The mental disorder of liberalism, in all of its dreadful majesty...these kids are supposed to be the brightest? God help us.

I was once asked to participate in a panel about the Iraq War at Wesleyan University in CT, which is an extremely liberal school. The kids did everything except throw tomatoes at me. They all looked at me as if I was a knuckle-dragging Cossack hell-bent on raping them all (not likely at that school, the girls all look like Jenine Garafolo).

Liberalism. I swear, it requires the absolute, willful surrender of common sense. Obama upped the stakes in Afghanistan, and he would get a hero's welcome at Columbia. But the seargant who carries out the orders gets heckled?

I'd like one of the liberals here to point out an example where serious, influential conservatives were so wrong and viciously hateful on any subject. Keep in mind Columbia is a well-regarded institution, so don't compare this to the birthers, who are a lunatic fringe with no influence. These kids who heckled this guy will be running the Democratic party in 20 years...
Old 02-20-2011, 06:31 PM   #2
Sweetwater
Ruled only by the tide

Shades of the late 60's and early 70's when Vietnam vets were spit upon and called "baby killers." It would be nice if those so opposed to our military could divorce themselves from the freedoms and national interests they protect. But regrettably our constitutional system allows them to benefit from the actions of the military they abhor.

I hope you're right that that generation and thinking spells it's own end...but I fear that is overly optimistic.

I for one thank every military person I encounter for their service. In fact I had the opportunity to do so recently when I met a young wounded marine, still recovering from nerve damage.

I'll also use this opportunity to invite any boat owners and charter captains to participate in the Vets Fish Ptown (free fishing trips for vets and families) on June 4. This was a program started by Rich Wood of Nelson's Bait and Tackle. Let me know if you want details and contacts...I'll happily provide them.

Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn.
Old 02-20-2011, 08:11 PM   #3
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetwater View Post
Shades of the late 60's and early 70's when Vietnam vets were spit upon and called "baby killers." It would be nice if those so opposed to our military could divorce themselves from the freedoms and national interests they protect. But regrettably our constitutional system allows them to benefit from the actions of the military they abhor.

I hope you're right that that generation and thinking spells it's own end...but I fear that is overly optimistic.

I for one thank every military person I encounter for their service. In fact I had the opportunity to do so recently when I met a young wounded marine, still recovering from nerve damage.

I'll also use this opportunity to invite any boat owners and charter captains to participate in the Vets Fish Ptown (free fishing trips for vets and families) on June 4. This was a program started by Rich Wood of Nelson's Bait and Tackle. Let me know if you want details and contacts...I'll happily provide them.
Sweetwater, you are very kind. We are expecting baby #3 on June 1, so I expect that once again, my fishing opportunities will be extremely limited this summer (I'm a pretty hands-on Dad).

If you want to pass me the details, I might like to contribute (if they take donations) so that other deserveing vets can get matched up with thoughtful folks who put together programs like this.. God Bless you for your thoughts and for thinking of the vets.

As to these trust fund brats at Columbia, I think the pendulum is swinging hard to the right. Scott Brown getting elected in Mass in 2009, the drubbling the Dems took in 2010, and what's going in Wisconsin, which could really spark a conservative, anti-union movement that is so needed. The Democrats (at least the liberal wing) are desperate, which they should be, and it shows...

I sure didn't sign up for them, nor did I sign up for the kids at Wesleyan. You had to see it to believe it...But it takes all kinds to make the world, I guess...

Hope we can maybe wet a line toget
Old 02-21-2011, 07:56 AM   #4
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

It is pretty abhorrent the way many people treat veterans and those serving or served in the military. If you have a problem with stuff like war and the way the military is/has been used, this country allows one to make those decisions at the voting booth. To disrespect and dishonor those that have given and sacrificed much to protect those rights is sickening.

Jim - they will take donations. We usually hear an announcement or something in April / May to help pitch in with your boat or to donate. Its a good program they've run for 4-5 years now.

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 02-21-2011, 02:10 PM   #5
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Same old same old spoiled brats that have been handed
everything all their lives and grateful for nothing.

They have no clue what sacrifice is in any area in their own life,
let alone our military's men, women and families that have lost life and limb
to allow them the freedom to got to college to party and listen to professors pontificate on the their liberal theories,
but lack the common sense needed to apply them to reality.

Imho,we are turning out a bunch of ignorant ninnies that won't
wake up in time to deal with reality.

" Choose Life "
Old 02-21-2011, 03:54 PM   #6
Sweetwater
Ruled only by the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
It is pretty abhorrent the way many people treat veterans and those serving or served in the military. If you have a problem with stuff like war and the way the military is/has been used, this country allows one to make those decisions at the voting booth. To disrespect and dishonor those that have given and sacrificed much to protect those rights is sickening.

Jim - they will take donations. We usually hear an announcement or something in April / May to help pitch in with your boat or to donate. Its a good program they've run for 4-5 years now.
This will be the 4th Annual "Vets Fish Ptown." I should have posted the link earlier...so here it is. They accept donations by credit card and Pay Pal

VetsFishPTown-Main Page

Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn.