Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Sportsman's Talk

Sportsman's Talk New forum for other outdoor sports. Hunting, shooting, archery, and everything else that has you crawling around with the bugs...

Old 12-04-2005, 09:31 PM   #1
mikecc
Plug Builder in Training

Tracking in the Snow

How many times have you given up on an area only to find out there is lots of track in the snow.

I plan on getting out tomorrow sitting in the morning then checking all the swamps out to find if they have changed their routine

mikecc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 09:42 PM   #2
Goose

Hey Mike,, whats up. As I said earlier I been getting all kinds of action in the swamp, heres the latest.... Sunday afternoon I moved one of my stands into a swamp, I noticed deer had been traveling during the last hour of snow fall by the amount of snow in the tracks(between 8-9 am). This morning I hunted not that stand but another about 200 yrds away. Around 8 I spoted two does headed in my direction, at first I thought they where coyote's one was small and the other a piebald doe. Thats the first time I had ever seen a piebald...what a sight. She had a dark brown head and shoulders with one patch of brown on her back and the rest white, even her whole tail was white with small patch of brown on top. I couldn't beleive it. In that same stand on opening day I too a nice doe at about 100yrds,,these two deer where about 100 yrds with the wind in my face. 100 yrds in the woods is a long way I had the feeling they where headed in the oppsite direction so I took a tight shot between a couple trees. At the time I didn't know it but I had missed. Both deer didn't take more then two steps and bedded down right there. I reason behind that was the echo. I thought I had hit her low and she would expire right there...I've seen this happen a couple times. Two hrs later both deer got up to strech then got right back down. At around noon they got up again. One of the does started feeding in my direction while the piebald inched her way slowly away from me, she did offer me a second shot even farther out but at that distance I opted to wait ,,,which I now regret . She just walk away. I 've been having an awsome season this year with so much unusual action I guess its to make up for my crappy bass season. Bring your muzzel loader with a scope I pray I see her again...I gota take Billys advice a bring a cambra.
Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 08:43 AM   #3
snake slinger
end of the fence guy

snow hunting is so cool time to get out of the treestand and get some of those indian skills going.plus a speck of blood shows rite up.
snake slinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 07:58 AM   #4
GBOUTDOORS

Send a message via AIM to GBOUTDOORS
Mike I had some free time yesterday at 11:00 am so I took a walk scouting out a swamp that I had over looked all season. I did find some good sign but nothing great till I was about to leave the swamp at 1:00 pm. At the edge of the swamp I came upon some fresh tracks headed out the way I came in on my tracks. I looked up and at 100 yards or so there was a nice small basket rack 5 point standing broad side looking back at me. First deer from that swamp hanging in the shed by 2:30. Boy you got to love a light snow for walking the woods.

21' striper D/C Yamaha 150 HPDI named PLAIN JANE
GBOUTDOORS is offline   Reply With Quote