Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 11-30-2018, 05:05 PM   #31
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
big denominations.

i answered your question, can you answer mine? Since you said that wealth isn’t a problem in the hands of liberals who are charitable, arebtoubalso OK with wealthbin the hands of conservatives who are charitable? Or do you only give that pass to liberals?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
I don’t have a problem with charity, the issue people have with the Koch Bros is how they’ve also used their money to almost single handedly engineer, significantly a more radical Right.

I don’t see Gates or Buffet in this camp.
Old 11-30-2018, 05:21 PM   #32
spence

Quote:
You have shown that wealth inequality exists. You haven’t shown, whatbthe connection is between wealthy people and poor people. please focus on that.
This isn’t rocket science. It takes money to make money, especially in an economy when the value of labor is diminished. A wealthy person can get more wealthy without lifting a finger. Given cost of living and services generally goes up year over year the poorer increasingly see their standard of living decline or those in the middle can’t buy houses or afford health insurance.
Old 11-30-2018, 06:14 PM   #33
Nebe

Wealth inequality really began in this country when corporate tax rates were slashed. They used to be so high that profits were turned into payroll for employees. In those days the middle class was booming. If trump really wanted to make America great again he would raise the taxes on big corporations so that they would have two choices - pay high taxes or pay their employees more which in turn would be a massive stimulus to the economy.

Instead we have a trickle down economy where the masses are all slaves to debt because their costs of living have soared higher than their income has risen.
Old 11-30-2018, 06:19 PM   #34
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
Wealth inequality really began in this country when corporate tax rates were slashed. They used to be so high that profits were turned into payroll for employees. In those days the middle class was booming. If trump really wanted to make America great again he would raise the taxes on big corporations so that they would have two choices - pay high taxes or pay their employees more which in turn would be a massive stimulus to the economy.

Instead we have a trickle down economy where the masses are all slaves to debt because their costs of living have soared higher than their income has risen.
Or they were used for capital investment that could be claimed to reduce their effective rate. Lowering the tax rate but keeping the deductions, along with industry specific exemptions changed this equation so some large corporations effectively pay little or nothing.
Old 11-30-2018, 06:37 PM   #35
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Or they were used for capital investment that could be claimed to reduce their effective rate. Lowering the tax rate but keeping the deductions, along with industry specific exemptions changed this equation so some large corporations effectively pay little or nothing.
My point is that there is not much insentive to pay your employees a living wage. I once read that some Walmart employees would have to work 150 hours a week to afford a 2 bedroom apartment and groceries. As a result they have to go on food stamps that we all pay for. And all the while the Walton family is one of the wealthiest families in the country.
Old 11-30-2018, 06:40 PM   #36
spence

Quote:
My point is that there is not much insentive to pay your employees a living wage. I once read that some Walmart employees would have to work 150 hours a week to afford a 2 bedroom apartment and groceries. As a result they have to go on food stamps that we all pay for. And all the while the Walton family is one of the wealthiest families in the country.
No that’s just what winning looks like.
Old 11-30-2018, 08:37 PM   #37
Cool Beans

Quote:
You get paid for your work, not for "having a freaking job" ENTRY LEVEL jobs are for entry level people. If that crappy summer job you had during summers at high school paid a "Living wage" maybe you never would have went to college. Entry level jobs are to get people started and not to provide for a family of 4.
Old 11-30-2018, 10:39 PM   #38
Jim in CT

Quote:
I don’t have a problem with charity, the issue people have with the Koch Bros is how they’ve also used their money to almost single handedly engineer, significantly a more radical Right.

is george soros in that camp? or labor unions, or hollywood?
Old 11-30-2018, 10:42 PM   #39
Jim in CT

Quote:
yes there is an incentive, because in most cases, employees can and will go elsewhere if they’re underpaid. businesses have every possible incentive to hold onto top employees. wveryone hates walmart, but everyone likes the low prices.
Old 12-01-2018, 01:53 AM   #40
scottw

Quote:

that's funny coming from a radical leftist...who has funded your engineered radicalization?

TIME magazine

By PHILIP ELLIOTT October 3, 2018

Charles Koch is known for his activism on conservative and libertarian causes, but a new report reveals that he’s also given more than $1 billion to civic and philanthropic groups.

Forbes magazine got that number after tallying lifetime donations for the first time as part of its annual list of the world’s richest individuals, published Wednesday. With a $53.5 billion fortune, Koch was at No. 7 on that list, tied with his brother, David.

“I do not believe ‘sum total’ is the most effective measure for evaluating my philanthropy,” Charles Koch told TIME in a statement. “Those results — which are real and measurable — are the true indicator of my philanthropy.”

Koch advisers say the overwhelming bulk of the donations has gone to civic and philanthropic groups, not the political ones he’s better known for. Last year, 95% of his personal giving went to educational programs and community groups that deal with persistent poverty.
Old 12-01-2018, 08:16 AM   #41
Sea Dangles

Invest early, we stress the importance of starting a retirement account at an early age to get a head start. It takes discipline but creates financial independence.
Old 12-01-2018, 01:09 PM   #42
spence

Quote:
is george soros in that camp? or labor unions, or hollywood?
Not really.
Old 12-01-2018, 01:12 PM   #43
spence

Quote:
yes there is an incentive, because in most cases, employees can and will go elsewhere if they’re underpaid. businesses have every possible incentive to hold onto top employees. wveryone hates walmart, but everyone likes the low prices.
Employees will stay at a lower paying job if their pre-existing conditions won’t transfer to new insurance. They won’t move if they can’t afford relocating costs or the risks of a steady job. And while the job market is good right now that’s a phase, many years there are no other options for many,
Old 12-01-2018, 04:12 PM   #44
scottw

Quote:
I think the fact that they can make millions off of this speaks volumes.
OUCH!

"What is the point? It’s not inspirational. It’s not for charity. They’re not raising awareness about a cause, like Al Gore with global warming. They’re only raising awareness about the Clintons.

Their pathological need to be relevant in America is belied by a Canadian arena, where stretches of empty seats bear witness to the passing of their relevance.

It’s a pity."

https://www.wral.com/curtains-for-th...tons/18033351/
Old 12-02-2018, 11:36 AM   #45
Jim in CT

Quote:
Not really.
well with all that logic, how can i disagree?

george soros doesn’t spent big $$ to shape and expand the democratic party? Really?
Old 12-02-2018, 11:37 AM   #46
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
Invest early, we stress the importance of starting a retirement account at an early age to get a head start. It takes discipline but creates financial independence.
put 15% of your pay
into a 401k,l starting on day 1, just use a target retirement fate account if you’re not savvy, and never withdraw.
Old 12-02-2018, 11:52 AM   #47
spence

Quote:
well with all that logic, how can i disagree?

george soros doesn’t spent big $$ to shape and expand the democratic party? Really?
The Koch Bros have been working since the 1960s to shape US culture. I think Soros has been much more limited politically supporting some progressive causes over the last 15 years or so. Where he has been very active politically is donating to undermine communism in Eastern Europe. Fox News loves baselessly blaming him for just about everything though. They’re not quite the same.
Old 12-02-2018, 12:09 PM   #48
Jim in CT

Quote:
The Koch Bros have been working since the 1960s to shape US culture. I think Soros has been much more limited politically supporting some progressive causes over the last 15 years or so. Where he has been very active politically is donating to undermine communism in Eastern Europe. Fox News loves baselessly blaming him for just about everything though. They’re not quite the same.
move on.org isn’t designed to effect change here in the us?

foxnews slams soros. The Democrats in congress slam the koch brothers. Big, big difference.

you’re right, they’re
not the same. The Koch brothers aren’t unrepentant Nazi collaborators. As a teen, Soros helped the nazis to save himself, which no one can blame him for. the shicking part, was he gave an interview as an adult, and stated that he had no regrets over what he did. that makes him very special.
Old 12-02-2018, 01:13 PM   #49
spence

Quote:
you’re right, they’re
not the same. The Koch brothers aren’t unrepentant Nazi collaborators. As a teen, Soros helped the nazis to save himself, which no one can blame him for. the shicking part, was he gave an interview as an adult, and stated that he had no regrets over what he did. that makes him very special.
Jim, read up once in a while, none of this is even remotely true.
Old 12-02-2018, 03:26 PM   #50
Jim in CT

Quote:
Jim, read up once in a while, none of this is even remotely true.
none of it is true? so this 60 minutes interview, shows someone pretending to be george soros, admitting to helping the nazis seize property from fellow jews, and feeling no guilt?

have fun with that...

Old 12-02-2018, 03:43 PM   #51
wdmso

Quote:
none of it is true? so this 60 minutes interview, shows someone pretending to be george soros, admitting to helping the nazis seize property from fellow jews, and feeling no guilt?

have fun with that...

I know a 14 year old should have willing went to the gas chambers .... than do what he did to survive ...
Old 12-02-2018, 07:55 PM   #52
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
I know a 14 year old should have willing went to the gas chambers .... than do what he did to survive ...
if you read what i posted
above, i said NO ONE COULD BLAME HIM for what he did. Anyone would expect a kid to do the same. But anyone who isn’t a sociopath, would feel bad about it, when they were an adult. True or false?

Spence said it never happened. You say it happened, but he didn’t do anything wrong. so which is it?
Old 12-02-2018, 07:57 PM   #53
Jim in CT

Spence, what, no snappy comeback? was steve croft just auditioning for faux news? or did i take it out of context?
Old 12-02-2018, 08:27 PM   #54
spence

Do your homework Jim.
Old 12-02-2018, 08:42 PM   #55
Jim in CT

Quote:
Do your homework Jim.
when you’ve got
nothing and have been offered video evidence that something happened that you said
never happened....that’s the best you got? do my homework? i do
my homework, which is now i knew this happened.
Old 12-02-2018, 09:08 PM   #56
spence

Quote:
when you’ve got
nothing and have been offered video evidence that something happened that you said
never happened....that’s the best you got? do my homework? i do
my homework, which is now i knew this happened.
Do more homework.
Old 12-02-2018, 10:01 PM   #57
Jim in CT

Quote:
Do more homework.
you first.
Old 12-03-2018, 05:07 AM   #58
wdmso

Quote:
if you read what i posted
above, i said NO ONE COULD BLAME HIM for what he did. Anyone would expect a kid to do the same. But anyone who isn’t a sociopath, would feel bad about it, when they were an adult. True or false?

Spence said it never happened. You say it happened, but he didn’t do anything wrong. so which is it?
(The Koch brothers aren’t unrepentant Nazi collaborators.)

posting of that was not even relevant to the topic ...

neither is this

Trump bragged he now had 'tallest building' in downtown Manhattan hours after World Trade Center collapsed
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a8532891.html

Maybe lack of empathy is a required trait in the cut throat world of business ? or is just bad for SOROS ?

I am sure spencer if referring to you running with the Nazi collaborator line .... the false narrative running on every alt right website going about George Soros
Old 12-03-2018, 07:19 AM   #59
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
(The Koch brothers aren’t unrepentant Nazi collaborators.)

posting of that was not even relevant to the topic ...

neither is this

Trump bragged he now had 'tallest building' in downtown Manhattan hours after World Trade Center collapsed
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a8532891.html

Maybe lack of empathy is a required trait in the cut throat world of business ? or is just bad for SOROS ?

I am sure spencer if referring to you running with the Nazi collaborator line .... the false narrative running on every alt right website going about George Soros
ah, the goalposts move again.

First, Soros never said he felt
no guilt about colaberatung with Nazis. Then it was that he did it, but you can’t blame him. Now you say it’s notnpertiment.

it was very pertinent to the conversation about why Spence feels its ok to attack the koch brothers ( for using big $$ to influence politics) but not ok to criticize Soros.

When you started to see i had a point, instead of admitting it ( god forbid) tounimmediaty pivot back to Trump and his faults.

Trump is a bad guy. And at the same time, George Soros admitted on TV, that he feels no guilt about collaborating with Nazis to save himself. both can be true, both are true. Political debate doesn’t have to be limited to what anjerk Trump is, it’s actually possible to talk about other things.
Old 12-03-2018, 09:25 AM   #60
spence

Quote:
you first.
I have that’s why I know you’re wrong.