Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 05-13-2013, 01:51 PM   #1
N.ShoreFisher
Annisquam Assassin

Lure Tails

So I know how to tie buck tails and dressed hooks, but how do I do a flag with no hook? Am I using the shaft of a hook, then clipping of the hook? Just curious. Thanks.

Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job. ~Paul Schullery

There he stands, draped in more equipment than a telephone lineman, trying to outwit an organism with a brain no bigger than a breadcrumb, and getting licked in the process. ~Paul O'Neil, 1965
N.ShoreFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 02:59 PM   #2
Ian
Idiot

I had a similar question months back, got the following responses:

Thru wire bent into a loop and pinched closed on your tail loop (Gary Soldati's response)

Thru wire bent into more than one loop, like a split ring, which allows you to switch flags on the water (ChefChris's response)

Screw eye (my response, I know... answering your own question is pretty weird)

The screw eye idea sucked (go figure) as the opening wasn't big enough for the tail loop. I really like the double bend suggestion, although I have yet to perfect the process without a bench vise. I was able to tie 4 different flags in my favorite patterns/styles and I switch them between plugs.

Gary's suggestion works well too, as evidenced by the fact that he puts them on all his plugs

My biggest problem with tying the flags is anchoring them in the vise to tie them. I use my bobbin in my right hand, and anchoring the wire is just awkward because it doesn't have a bend like a hook and is only an inch or so long... the hair and other material either has to be in my right hand or it bumps against my vise jaws... if you solve that problem let me know

Simple and cheap answer: thru wire. Its purely decorative, so you could use anything that won't rust out.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 03:48 PM   #3
N.ShoreFisher
Annisquam Assassin

wow, thanks man. Guess I'll figure out what will work, and take it from there. I'll let you know.

There he stands, draped in more equipment than a telephone lineman, trying to outwit an organism with a brain no bigger than a breadcrumb, and getting licked in the process. ~Paul O'Neil, 1965
Old 05-13-2013, 04:56 PM   #4
pbadad

Thru-wire formed lie a split ring. leaveit long enough to put in fly vise. Tie bucktail on it, coat w/ adhesive then cut the shank off when dry.

Billy D.
pbadad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 06:27 PM   #5
chefchris401
Chris Blouin

I like the double ring method made out of cut off thru wire.

That's skippys method, works really well and allows plenty of action.

I wrap some thread on the thru wire first and then tie on top of that.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
chefchris401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:38 AM   #6
ThrowingTimber
It's about respect baby!

Take a piece of extra through wire. Form a loop but don't pinch it closed. Measure out about an inch from the loop you just made on one end. And bend that 90 degrees straight down.

At this point you should have if you are a right-handed tyer. A piece of through wire with a loop formed on one end facing right. With about an inch to work on. And a piece of wire that you can clamp in your vise.

After you add whatever you want to the tail and its is finished and head cement or epoxy is dry. You just cut off the piece of wire you bent so you could clamp it in your vise.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
ThrowingTimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:55 AM   #7
N.ShoreFisher
Annisquam Assassin

ooooohhh, I like that one timber....gonna try that tonight!

Old 06-24-2013, 10:01 AM   #8
Old Man

Old Man is offline   Reply With Quote