Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 11-04-2022, 09:08 AM   #1
Rmarsh

E-bikes

Bought a pair of electric assist bicycles for my wife and I back in July.
We have racked up over 500 miles on them a have had a great time doing it. Riding them from home into the state forest nearby or load them in my truck to visit various bike paths....favorite so far is the shining sea bike path that goes from north falmouth to woods hole.
We are both in our late sixties and in good health ....except for my wifes problems with her knees. She already has had a total knee replacement on one and is planning to do the other in the near future. This has been a great activity for us as we enjoy doing these type of things together. We have been together for fifty years now.
She is a real trooper.....very tough girl...rides a little too aggressively sometimes when we go off road and her curiosity has gotten us into some remote areas we probably shouldn't be in. Our boys are a little worried about us....but we have chosen to stay active and enjoy the time we have left...this makes us feel young again.
Rmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 11:23 AM   #2
redlite

As I tell people all the time it is THE most awesome thing I have ever bought in my life Including my wife's ring
At the urging of other fisherman and lots of saving I went with a RAd mini 4 foladable with fat tires last august. Due to covid it took almost a year to get it

I bought it primarily for fishing and enjoyed engineering ways to carry gear
I have over 400 miles on it and probably only 20 miles is from fishing as sue to injury I didn't get to fish once all this year (soul crushing )

My kids love to bike ride and last thing I wanna do when I get home from a hard day is pedal around towing kids.
This thing does 25 mph up hill into the wind towing a kid in a trailer and usually another one on a custom back cushion I made with no effort and I'm not out of breath. The amount of quality family time it provides, esp being crippled, has been worth every penny.
I ride it all
Around town esp for beer runs and Ace hardware as all within a mile of my and get there and back faster than driving

Enjoyable and comfortable ride
Only
Complaint for mine is it is HEAVy. Almost 90 pounds. Awkward Beast to get in and out of truck.
Between the front suspension and esp the after market add on suspension seat post I put on made a huge improvement to riding comfort

Bob have u encountered any issues with ebike usage on the bike trails?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
redlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 01:06 PM   #3
Rmarsh

Mike....glad to hear that you are enjoying your ebike as much as we are. Like you said.....even riding uphill on a hot day ....its no sweat. Ours top out at twenty mph....but I feel any faster could be a danger. No issues on the bike paths so far.
Mine is a hybrid street/with some off road capabilty...has front shock and bigger tires.
Sorry to hear about your injury.....I too have been on a medical leave for the last month or so the bike rides have kept me from going stir crazy
....great fun they are. I fished less this year than the last twenty years.
Old 11-04-2022, 01:28 PM   #4
redlite

Bob. Check your owners manual
By law for my size motor they are capped at 20 mph by the govt for sale purposes I was able to go into led display on mine and in about 15 secs and 2 button pushes I was able to reset the max speed to the motors full capability which is 25mph
Dumb.
5mph faster makes an enormous difference.
redlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 04:42 PM   #5
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

As long as your e-bike is pedal assist, and doesn't have the motor operated by a throttle, you should be OK on bike paths. Hell, in my hard core Spandex days, I could top 25 mph on my road bike.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 06:37 PM   #6
Rmarsh

I mentioned about how you reprogrammed your bike to go 25mph to my wife....and predictably....right away.. she asked how!
Not gonna tell you I said. She said shes gonna look it up on the computer right now...oh #^&#^&#^&#^&!

Also...There are some things about the bike paths.....weekends should be avoided...kinda like the boat ramps...little kids. people with dogs, rollerbladers....so you have to slow down and pass with care....so we've done the popular ones on weekdays.

Had two flats already on my bike ...front was easy... the rear was a bitch wrastling with the motor wiring ,the derailer, and the disk breaks whew. And just my luck.... I found a fish hook embedded in it too.

Last edited by Rmarsh; 08-26-2023 at 06:00 AM..
Old 11-07-2022, 09:40 AM   #7
Rmarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike P View Post
As long as your e-bike is pedal assist, and doesn't have the motor operated by a throttle, you should be OK on bike paths. Hell, in my hard core Spandex days, I could top 25 mph on my road bike.

My bike does have a throttle... goes 20 without peddling.
It works good when used sparingly while negotiating through the rough terrain we've encountered in the forest.

We have not seen or heard of the rules for the bike paths...but we always ride with caution and show courtesy to other users...people with kids riding on training wheels or people with dogs etc.....less so when in the state forest unpaved roads, where we see a lot less people and ride a little more aggressively.

Wife was riding close...right behind me on the street....she asked why she was always catching up....had to explain the concept of drafting to her.
Old 11-07-2022, 11:01 AM   #8
Nebe

I have a Rad wagon freight bike and love it !
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 11:08 AM   #9
Rmarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
I have a Rad wagon freight bike and love it !
Is that one of these?
...very nice! Comes in black too I see

Last edited by Rmarsh; 08-26-2023 at 06:00 AM..
Old 11-07-2022, 11:28 AM   #10
Rmarsh

Too nice out to not get a ride in today!
I'm heading up to the state forest in a few minutes.
Old 11-07-2022, 02:00 PM   #11
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmarsh View Post
Is that one of these?
...very nice! Comes in black too I see
Yep that’s the one. Mine is orange
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote