Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

     

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container
 

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2018, 04:30 PM   #91
detbuch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
We've discussed DPM before. Jim has never done the homework.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
As far as Jim took DPM's quote, he is correct. As far as the rest of what DPM wanted, that did not happen, so we're stuck with how far Jim took it.
detbuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 08:13 PM   #92
Pete F.
Master tråd morder
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: vt
Posts: 3,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
There was no USA in 1500. Ergo, you are considering international stats. If we start at 700 to 1500, internationally, Asians and Africans, and Arabs, I'm guessing, had the most unlawful (depending on who's "law" was being broken) killings meant to terrorize people in order to eliminate opposition to political (depending on your notion of politics) occupation or to submit populations to the political power of the invaders.
Since you’re going to spin to fit your viewpoint as usual let’s call it the Americas
The European viewpoint has always been that the other races, religions, peoples were bad and needed to be conquered, our viewpoint and others perception is still that.
You have written here that Muslims are trying to conquer the world and we need to do it first. Or is my understanding of what you have posted incorrect
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Pete

"No one leaves home unless home is the mouth of a shark"
Warsan Shire

Time will tell
Pete F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 11:17 PM   #93
detbuch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
Since you’re going to spin to fit your viewpoint as usual let’s call it the Americas

Pointing out that there was no USA in 1500 is fact not spin. And it is a relevant fact.

The European viewpoint has always been that the other races, religions, peoples were bad and needed to be conquered, our viewpoint and others perception is still that.

"The European viewpoint" seems to be a spin notion that ties all white people into a convenient group to pin your accusation on. I'm not aware of an actual "European viewpoint." Europeans have considered other Europeans to be bad, and conquered them, and probably killed more Europeans then they did non-Europeans. Europeans, as well, considered other European religions bad and needed to be eliminated or reformed.

And I don't think that "our" (Americans? White people? Christians?)viewpoint is that other races, religions, and peoples are bad and need to be conquered.

I can't speak for all the "others." Fundamentalist Muslims do have the viewpoint you speak of.


You have written here that Muslims are trying to conquer the world and we need to do it first. Or is my understanding of what you have posted incorrect
I have said that the fundamental Islam as portrayed in the Koran, the Hadith, and the Sunna believes that the world is to be made Islamic. I don't recall saying that we needed to do it first. I don't believe we should conquer the world.
detbuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 08:44 AM   #94
Jim in CT
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 8,001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
Jim, it's funny how conservative ideas don't always have the intended result and sometimes become the things they want to change.
Look at the history of the family based immigration for a good example.
It was originally passed because the Supreme Court said that you could not exclude certain countries, and could not use quotas.
So they passed new legislation with the theory that if we make it so people can have their relatives come here, most of the immigrants for the past 75 years have been Europeans. We can give them an advantage because we want them, but we can't say that.
I said very explicitly, that conservatism has hurt people. No ideology is perfect. For the 100th time (it's getting tiring, so please try and pay attention) I was responding to Spence, who asked Detbuch who has ever been harmed by progressive ideas? Spence is very clearly under the impression that no one has ever suffered because of liberalism, and I pointed out examples to the contrary. That's all I was doing. I agree with liberals on some big issues (gay marriage, death penalty), but all I was doing here, was pointing out that people have been hurt because of progressive ideology.
Jim in CT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 08:49 AM   #95
Jim in CT
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 8,001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
Jim
You made me look up Connecticut and see where it stands
Highest per capita income
Highest median income
Highest Human development index, whatever that is
I would assume it might have the highest taxes depending on how you look at the statistics
And it's population is not shrinking, so what have the evil liberals have done to it?


Highest per capita income - mostly due to our proximity to Manhattan, but little to do with high taxes

Highest median income - mostly due to our proximity to Manhattan, but little to do with high taxes


As to the population exodus, enjoy...

http://www.courant.com/opinion/edito...htmlstory.html

http://www.courant.com/opinion/edito...102-story.html

http://ctboom.com/cts-exodus-problem...an-we-thought/

https://patch.com/connecticut/newcan...us-connecticut

https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=AwrJ...r0dNb0.lAya.s-
Jim in CT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 08:56 AM   #96
scottw
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
scottw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 6,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
For the 100th time (it's getting tiring, so please try and pay attention)
I think if you and Detbuch would just admit to being racists who want to conquer the world...he might be happy.......
scottw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 08:56 AM   #97
Jim in CT
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 8,001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
Jim
You made me look up Connecticut and see where it stands
Highest per capita income
Highest median income
Highest Human development index, whatever that is
I would assume it might have the highest taxes depending on how you look at the statistics
And it's population is not shrinking, so what have the evil liberals have done to it?
"have the evil liberals have done to it"

You mentioned high incomes. Connecticut's citizens, on average, are doing well, because we have a large number of extremely wealthy people skewing the numbers. In any event, the financlal health of our citizenry id OK. The financial health of the state, is horrible.

Two additional things...the liberals have racked up debt of 75 billion, which is 25,000 for every human in the state. That is causing towns to cut back on spending, in my town we are laying off teachers and cutting music form the middle schools. All thanks to glorious, flawless liberalism.

And here, you'll see that 4 of the 100 most dangerous cities in the nation, are Hartford, New Haven, New London, and Bridgeport. Guess which political party has run each of those cities for 40 years?

http://dailycampus.com/stories/2015/...ngerous-cities
Jim in CT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 09:44 AM   #98
Jim in CT
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 8,001
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
I think if you and Detbuch would just admit to being racists who want to conquer the world...he might be happy.......
Yep, that's me. I'm a racist Cossack.
Jim in CT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 09:50 AM   #99
Pete F.
Master tråd morder
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: vt
Posts: 3,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
Highest per capita income - mostly due to our proximity to Manhattan, but little to do with high taxes

Highest median income - mostly due to our proximity to Manhattan, but little to do with high taxes


As to the population exodus, enjoy...

http://www.courant.com/opinion/edito...htmlstory.html

http://www.courant.com/opinion/edito...102-story.html

http://ctboom.com/cts-exodus-problem...an-we-thought/

https://patch.com/connecticut/newcan...us-connecticut

https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=AwrJ...r0dNb0.lAya.s-
As i said before and now I'm wondering if you are doing anything about it other than making sure nobody got anything wrong on the internet?
If the taxes in your state are too high or you feel something is wrong there you can get involved in politics, move or whine about it.
There is one thing you can't do and I understand you can't move.
But you can be involved in our democracy and things might slowly change.
No promises that it will change the way you want but you will have done what you could.
Vermont is close to being in the same place, hopefully more because of a greying population. And so far 2 of my 5 children have moved out of state, not to Connecticut.

I would think all that wealth would trickle down, your answer on recent tax cuts was what's good for the wealthy helps those with lower incomes.

Pete

"No one leaves home unless home is the mouth of a shark"
Warsan Shire

Time will tell
Pete F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 10:17 AM   #100
Jim in CT
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 8,001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
As i said before and now I'm wondering if you are doing anything about it other than making sure nobody got anything wrong on the internet?
If the taxes in your state are too high or you feel something is wrong there you can get involved in politics, move or whine about it.
There is one thing you can't do and I understand you can't move.
But you can be involved in our democracy and things might slowly change.
No promises that it will change the way you want but you will have done what you could.
Vermont is close to being in the same place, hopefully more because of a greying population. And so far 2 of my 5 children have moved out of state, not to Connecticut.

I would think all that wealth would trickle down, your answer on recent tax cuts was what's good for the wealthy helps those with lower incomes.
This will be my last post, I'll give you the last word on it.

I am fully aware of my options. I didn't post about CT taxes to ask for help dealing with them. I posted about CT taxes, as a response to the notion that liberalism has never hurt anybody.

I am involved in state and local politics, trying to effect change. The state of CT is slowly but surely, taking a turn to the right, as more people are realizing (despite what Spence believes) what a disaster 40 years of liberalism has been., The state senate is tied at 18 republicans, 18 democrats. The democrats lead in the house was 77 seats 4 years ago, now, it's 7 seats.

And if you and Spence feel that liberalism has never hurt anyone, think of my position. I could move to NH and have almost $1,000 a month more to spend on my kids,. Over the next 4 decades of my life, that is a small fortune. I could do a ton more for my children if I moved. Unfortunately, I am also burdened by the fact that my elderly parents, who will never move, depend on me (more accurately, they depend on my wife, who is home during the day) to help them with daily tasks.

So, thanks to being (1) a person who cares about others and (2) who lives in a radically liberal state, I am in the awesome position of having to choose between my responsibility to my kids, and my responsibility to my parents. No matter what I do, thanks to liberals, I screw people I love. It's a swell position to be in, let me tell you. So when Spence says liberalism has never caused anyone to suffer, well, I beg to differ.

The thread is now all yours.
Jim in CT is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Please use all necessary and proper safety precautions. STAY SAFE Striper Talk Forums
Copyright 1998-20012 Striped-Bass.com