Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 11-20-2008, 03:22 PM   #1
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Generation "Smug"

The Smug Generation: How parents who idolise their children create lazy, incompetent adults

Modern parents heap so much praise on their children that they are creating a 'smug generation' with little idea of the real world, warn psychologists.

Such youngsters are full of self-confidence, believe they are more intelligent than the previous generation and claim they will make better workers, spouses and parents than their own mother and father.

In fact they work less hard than their parents did as children and are generally less competent, it is claimed.

Young people who have been overpraised and so have a high sense of self-worth may face problems later in life, according to scientists.

They are heading for a shock when the harsh realities of life overtake their expectations.

Much of this is the fault of their parents from the Baby Boom generation-born in the 1950s and 1960s, who fawn over and idolise them.

Blame can also be attached to modern education systems which give too-high marks, says a report in the journal Psychological Science.

Professor Jean Twenge, head of psychology at San Diego University and lead author of the report, said: 'Boomer parents are more likely than any group of parents before them to praise children - and maybe overpraise them.

'This can foster great expectations or perhaps even smugness about one's chances of reaching the stars at work and in family life. Their narcissism could be a recipe for depression later when things don't work out as well as they expected.'

Researchers examined nearly 40 years of results from an annual U.S. survey called Monitoring the Future.

Comparing answers given in 1975 with those in 2006, they found that a third more 17-to-20-year-olds today believe they work harder than their parents did and will be better than them in important adult roles both at home and at work.

But while today's teenagers are smug about their achievements and their futures, they actually do 20 per cent less homework than teenagers in 1975 and are generally less competent than their parents when they were young, said the report.

Professor Twenge said: 'Just as today's high-school students are getting better grades for doing less work, students on average are more satisfied with themselves and expect better outcomes.

'Modern culture seems to be teaching young people to be overconfident.'

Fellow researcher Keith Campbell, of the University of Georgia, said: 'Previous generations had more realistic ambitions. Today's teenagers have been taught to reach for the moon without being warned that many of them will not make it.'

Dr Roy Baumeister, a psychologist at Florida State University, said that young people with big egos are likely to create problems for those around them and end up depressed.

'Many people who grew up in the 1950s and 1960s say, "Nothing I did was ever good enough for my parents".

'Now we're seeing the pendulum swing the other way, and you hear that kids have become more fragile because of all the praise they've received. They don't take criticism well.'

Norman Wells, director of the British organisation Family and Youth Concern, said: 'This study highlights the danger that awarding young people higher marks for less effort and lower levels of achievement may not be doing them any favours in the longer term.'

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 03:38 PM   #2
Striperknight
Plug Paladin

This is so true.
Striperknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 03:43 PM   #3
MAC

I don't have any kids but do have neices and nephews so can some what relate. My sisters and brother treat their kids as above.

When I was a kid I started working for my father when I was 10 (1971) . I always had the feeling that he thought I could have done more.

Many years later he said to me " you know I taught you how to work". He is right because I always strive to do my best. My feeling is "an honest days work for an honest days pay".
MAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 05:04 PM   #4
Duke41
got gas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
The Smug Generation: How parents who idolise their children create lazy, incompetent adults

Such youngsters are full of self-confidence, believe they are more intelligent than the previous generation and claim they will make better workers, spouses and parents than their own mother and father.

In fact they work less hard than their parents did as children and are generally less competent, it is claimed.
.'

This is exactly what happened with the Bush family
Duke41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 08:42 PM   #5
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
[B][SIZE="4"]

Professor Jean Twenge, head of psychology at San Diego University and lead author of the report, said: 'Boomer parents are more likely than any group of parents before them to praise children - and maybe overpraise them.

'
The problem is the overpraise.

Praise is good if it's the truth. It builds confidence.

Kids know when they have done a good job and also know when they haven't and are being patronized by their parents.

There are two good books, Between Parent and Child, and Between Parent and Teenager by Ginop that deal with the use of reasonable honest praise to build up a kids confidence.

Imo, honest and truthful praise is good and sure beats the scars left by comments like, " your dumb" "your no good" or "you'll never amount to anything."

" Choose Life "
justplugit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 06:59 AM   #6
Raven

the scars from abusive comments are real....and are difficult to erase or modify.

they sit on the side of the minds eye of one's view or perception of one's self....

praise is the true motivation for doing a good job
but it shouldn't be over done....

like if you pay a kid $500.00 bucks to rake your leaves
it'll leave him with a warped sense of what things are worth.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 07:08 AM   #7
spence

This certainly explains a lot about RIJIMMY.

-spence
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 08:10 AM   #8
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Nothing wrong with praising a kid for a job well done......when and if the job is done right. Until then

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 10:57 AM   #9
fishbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke41 View Post
This is exactly what happened with the Bush family
You could add the Kennedy clan to that as well.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
fishbones is offline   Reply With Quote