Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 10-07-2016, 03:44 AM   #1
wdmso

Just odd

http://www.bbc.com/news/election-us-2016-37568235

I wonder how the message was taken by those in that situation again just odd
Old 10-07-2016, 07:06 AM   #2
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post

I'm sure this is it being taken out of context but your side has the dead vote , the living at least get to pick who they want . 😃
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 10-07-2016, 07:30 AM   #3
Nebe

What's next? The deceased ?
Old 10-07-2016, 08:06 AM   #4
detbuch

Quote:

If you only had two weeks to live, you might want to think, or "feel," that there was still a sense of purpose for you in those two weeks. Or you could just purposelessly count out the clock.

Among other things, including love of family, you might want to be a part of helping to make the life of your loved ones freer and better.

Of course, there is a "context," as Spence would say, to that brief video excerpt. But let's just disregard that so that we can be outraged or indignant or condescending, or, we might say, hateful.
Old 10-07-2016, 03:14 PM   #5
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
If you only had two weeks to live, you might want to think, or "feel," that there was still a sense of purpose for you in those two weeks. Or you could just purposelessly count out the clock.

Among other things, including love of family, you might want to be a part of helping to make the life of your loved ones freer and better.

Of course, there is a "context," as Spence would say, to that brief video excerpt. But let's just disregard that so that we can be outraged or indignant or condescending, or, we might say, hateful.

seems your being a bit defensive of your Man..

I just find it odd to mention that demographic in that manner? no outrage indignant or condescending,or , hateful Just odd
Old 10-07-2016, 03:24 PM   #6
spence

Quote:
The "context" here is that Trump is once again just saying stupid things to get media attention. Hey, it's worked so far...

This though is not rude, crude, bigoted or misogynistic, it's just really really creepy.
Old 10-07-2016, 03:34 PM   #7
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
The "context" here is that Trump is once again just saying stupid things to get media attention. Hey, it's worked so far...

This though is not rude, crude, bigoted or misogynistic, it's just really really creepy.
And having a child actor at your Townhall ask a scripted question about how Donald Trump has hurt young girls feelings isn't creepy at all .
Old 10-07-2016, 03:40 PM   #8
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
And having a child actor at your Townhall ask a scripted question about how Donald Trump has hurt young girls feelings isn't creepy at all .
https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...5092&tid=ss_tw

Wow, just wow. This is what you support?
Old 10-07-2016, 05:41 PM   #9
buckman

Quote:

I'm a guy , I'm sure Hillary has said worse
Old 10-07-2016, 07:34 PM   #10
spence

Quote:
I'm a guy , I'm sure Hillary has said worse
Deplorable.
Old 10-07-2016, 09:07 PM   #11
detbuch

Quote:
seems your being a bit defensive of your Man..

Trump is not my man. He is the candidate for the party that claims to want to appoint SCOTUS judges in the mold of Scalia and Thomas. I am, as I have said over and over in many, many ways, a defender of the Constitution, not a defender of personalities. Imperfect persons come and go. I do not want that to happen to the Constitution.

I was not defending Trump. I was answering your question: "I wonder how the message was taken by those in that situation again just odd"? It seems odd that you consider my answer a defense of Trump, whom I have said a few times already that I don't like. Although, I am beginning to like him a bit since, as TDF might say, he makes Progressive heads explode. And the fallout from the explosion is stuff like the video, and "expose" articles like in the WAPOST and NYT and Salon and more videos and on and on. Of course, that's not odd. That sort of poison and vituperation is expected when you cut one of Hydra's heads off. At any rate, rather than my being defensive of Trump, it seems you are being offensive about him.

I just find it odd to mention that demographic in that manner? no outrage indignant or condescending,or , hateful Just odd
Ohhhh . . . just odd. The world is full of oddities. Trump certainly has his share. As do, no doubt, you or I. Did you just suddenly decide out of the clear blue to point out one of the innumerable existing oddities? And what are we to make of that? Is that good, bad, or indifferent? Does it matter? Do you really care? Is it some really important piece of oddity that we should know about? Will it make a difference in our lives? Or do you just want to entertain us with your piece of oddity?

And BTW, as has been pointed out by a couple of us, there is a context to the speech that puts the highly selected portion of video in a way that is neither "odd" nor outrageous. The next line, conveniently left out of the video is: "I'm only kidding" said with a big smile. And what was the point behind his kidding? The point was that it is very critical that those who want Trump over Hillary get out and vote. In the speech, he reiterates things like "gotta get out and vote folks." Or "On Nov. 8 the arrogance of Washington D.C. will come face to face with the verdict of the American voter." He said this may be the last chance to deliver justice and that, unlike the repeated notion of past elections being the most important in our lifetime, this one really is. The stress on the importance of voting, the expression on his face when he said it, the tone and tenor and message of the speech create a fuller context for the typically outlandish Trump way of putting something. Of course, that way lends itself to "out of context" selections that are made a big gotcha deal over.

Of course, you merely consider that odd. But Trumps political enemies glom onto this stuff like its electoral Manna. You, of course, don't think anyone should be outraged, or indignant, or condescending, or aroused to some form of hate by this kind of stuff. Certainly of no importance to the election. You just think it's odd.

I don't care about Hillary or Trump as people. I care about the system of government we will be left with depending on which one is elected. You, of course, are not single issue oriented. So . . . what other issues do you care about?
Old 10-08-2016, 12:12 AM   #12
detbuch

Quote:

You got the context totally wrong. And what he said, in the actual context, was not creepy.

What is creepy is your constant attempt to play the Trump is not Presidential card by bringing up what various anti-Trump media dig up from whatever grave-yard of useless information they can find. Somehow these supposedly scandalous tidbits are supposed to make Trump unfit to be President.

Really?
Old 10-08-2016, 12:28 AM   #13
detbuch

Quote:

Wow, just wow. Washington and Jefferson owned slaves. Is what Trump said worse than that? How did they do as Presidents? And they owned slaves while they actually were Presidents. Who knows what they said in confidence about how they tried to seduce women?

JFK was a hound for it--and during his whole political life, including when he was actually President. How did he do as President?

Oh, yeah. Bill Clinton. And Hillary calling his prey "bimbos." I can imagine Bill sitting back with some buds and a cigar talking about his conquests. There were those who actually praised his sexual exploits as being indicators of a strong alpha male type whose prowess would actually make him a superior President. How did he do as President?

Are you really that naïve? You don't think many powerful men who have succeeded well in life don't like to brag? Oh, yeah . . . ditto for unsuccessful men.

Apparently you and wdmso consider stuff like this as those "other issues" beside my one-note-Johnny concern over who will appoint SCOTUS judges.

Yeah --wow, just wow.

Last edited by detbuch; 10-08-2016 at 12:34 AM..
Old 10-08-2016, 01:58 AM   #14
buckman

Quote:
Deplorable.
You should hear how middle-age women talk over a bottle of wine. Your virgin ears would be so offended 😮
Old 10-08-2016, 06:47 AM   #15
spence

Quote:
You should hear how middle-age women talk over a bottle of wine. Your virgin ears would be so offended 😮
I've seen plenty of crude stuff over the years but I've never in my entire life have heard anyone brag of sexual assault.
Old 10-08-2016, 06:53 AM   #16
Nebe

Quote:
I've seen plenty of crude stuff over the years but I've never in my entire life have heard anyone brag of sexual assault.
Same here
Old 10-08-2016, 07:18 AM   #17
wdmso

Mr Trump said that "these words don't reflect who I am... I apologise".

http://www.bbc.com/news/election-us-2016-37594918
Old 10-08-2016, 07:38 AM   #18
PaulS

And in a related note, Breitbart announced that they should be able to make up something worse one of Hillary's second cousin's said that she can be held accountable for.
Old 10-08-2016, 07:58 AM   #19
Fly Rod

wd and spence, what was wrong with what he said, "NOTHING." R U both trying to denie my right to vote?....hopefully I will still B around in Nov....

Nebe, they have already found some deceased names that have supposedly voted....

I believe that both parties could find better people to run from a homeless shelter....

"When its not about money,it's all about money."...
Old 10-08-2016, 09:12 AM   #20
Nebe

I agree fly rod
Old 10-08-2016, 09:19 AM   #21
detbuch

Quote:
"Sexual assault"? Wow, just wow. Hey, some feminists consider a man asking his wife for lovin' to be sexual assault. Of course, asking a subordinate for a blow job in the oval office would not be considered that. That would be more like appearing presidential. And protecting that oh so important appearance justifies shielding someone from various incidents which were actually sexual assaults.

If a blow job is not a sexual relation, why is what Trump said sexual assault? Why is committing sexual assault while being President just personal stuff that is nobody else's business, but what Trump said in private while not even holding political office disqualifies him from being President?

As Trump said, “And when you’re a star, they let you do it. You can do anything.” Clinton, Kennedy, and who knows how many other Presidents, took advantage of their "star" power to "sexually assault" many women. And Clinton is accused of continuing assaults when the women objected and resisted. At least Trump didn't force anything beyond initial advances if the woman said no.

Different strokes for different folks.

And now Trump apologizes for describing a decade ago, in vulgar language, a failed and unforced attempt. I have to admit that I laughed when I heard it. The scripted mea culpa that is so common now by those seeking the public vote. And Republicans jumping off the ship like scared rats. I can't help it. The scenario is just funny. The underlying hypocrisy on both sides is deliciously hilarious.

These are the important "issues." That's all they got.

And Spence, maybe, when you've heard men brag about sexual adventures, that is if your ears are not unusually virgin, they just didn't claim that they were "sexual assaults."

Last edited by detbuch; 10-08-2016 at 09:25 AM..
Old 10-08-2016, 09:47 AM   #22
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Rod View Post
wd and spence, what was wrong with what he said, "NOTHING." R U both trying to denie my right to vote?....hopefully I will still B around in Nov....

Nebe, they have already found some deceased names that have supposedly voted....

I believe that both parties could find better people to run from a homeless shelter....

???? who said what he said was wrong regarding the terminally ill .. as I just found it odd.. for the other statement i made no comment about it .. So you see pointing out issues about trump as

"trying to denie my right to vote?...": If you think thats what I am doing maybe you shouldn't be voting ... with that logic ..

or are you are saying your terminal ill ... or am i miss reading your post? , if your are I am sorry for you and your family .. and his statement is still odd to me

Last edited by wdmso; 10-08-2016 at 09:54 AM.. Reason: correction
Old 10-08-2016, 01:26 PM   #23
detbuch

Quote:
his statement is still odd to me
If you are still depending on an edited video, which omitted the rest of his statement, I can see how it might seem odd to you depending on your own selective filtration. Even though in its selectively biased editing it still can be seen, as I pointed out in my response to your question, as an affirmation of importance to the rest of one's limited time to remain alive.

However, if you watch the whole speech, the statement was not odd at all. Unless, of course, your bias simply won't allow you to hear it in the vein it was presented.
Old 10-08-2016, 01:42 PM   #24
spence

Quote:
If you are still depending on an edited video, which omitted the rest of his statement, I can see how it might seem odd to you depending on your own selective filtration. Even though in its selectively biased editing it still can be seen, as I pointed out in my response to your question, as an affirmation of importance to the rest of one's limited time to remain alive.

However, if you watch the whole speech, the statement was not odd at all. Unless, of course, your bias simply won't allow you to hear it in the vein it was presented.
True, we've just come to learn that in the original video with the open mic Trump was actually about to enter a pet store.
Old 10-08-2016, 02:04 PM   #25
detbuch

Quote:
True, we've just come to learn that in the original video with the open mic Trump was actually about to enter a pet store.
Are we talking about the same video? The Nevada rally speech?
Old 10-08-2016, 02:08 PM   #26
spence

Quote:
Are we talking about the same video? The Nevada rally speech?
Oh, sorry no. I'm getting all his repugnant quotes mixed up.
Old 10-08-2016, 03:32 PM   #27
detbuch

Quote:
Oh, sorry no. I'm getting all his repugnant quotes mixed up.
The Nevada statement is not repugnant, Why are you being so bitchy? Ohhh . . . I just made a repugnant.

Let me rephrase. Why are you being so deplorable?

Last edited by detbuch; 10-08-2016 at 09:29 PM..
Old 10-08-2016, 09:28 PM   #28
detbuch

So far, neither wdmso nor Spence has pointed out why Trump's edited Nevada statement is odd or creepy. I'm guessing they want to just lay a turd and walk away hoping the smell will disgust everyone else. But actually attempting to defend their repugnant piece of poop would expose it as an irrational bias--the sort of intellectual dishonesty that Spence dislikes.
Old 10-09-2016, 04:36 AM   #29
scottw

geeeez....when did leftists become such prudes? this is comical
Old 10-09-2016, 08:25 AM   #30
Jim in CT

Quote:
Deplorable.
Hilary enabled a predator of women, she lied to the country to defend him (saying bill was the innocent victim of the vast right wing conspiracy). Hilary referred to his victims as looney tones, bimbos, and trailer trash. Bill Clinton remains enormously popular with democrats. And the same people who are calling out trump are the ones who kept Ted Kennedy in the senate for 85 years. So when exactly did the democratic opposition to crass treatment of women have its genesis?
Trump is an absolute obnoxious jerk. No one can deny that. But let's not pretend that she is noticeably better. Her choice of language isn't as crass as his, but for damned sure she threw women under the bus when it suited her, now I'm supposed to believe she's the second coming of Gloria Allred. Dems defended bill Clinton and Ted Kennedy, it's a wee bit late for them to start clutching their pearls now

Last edited by Jim in CT; 10-09-2016 at 08:31 AM..