Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 08-15-2019, 07:34 AM   #151
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
So because kids - particularly those with underlying mental health issues - can't adjust well to growing up and parents can't parent, other people, law abiding people, should give a constitutionally guaranteed right up and reduce their ability defend themselves and their family to accommodate one group of people? Rather than work to focus on the core issues of gun violence and keep firearms out of those hands, we'll punish everyone?
Never said that in this thread or any other related thread. What I don’t see the need for in Johnny’s dad’s gun case, is an assault rifle with several hundred rounds in high capacity magazines he can take to kill dozens in seconds.

Maybe Johnny isn’t the problem, but his neighbor has a history of mental illness and suddenly wants to vent, so it’s off to secure far to essentially legally or in private sales, the fire power he needs. I’d rather the loop holes be closed, but if I’m in a mall shopping for Xmas, I think I have a better chance for survival, if he is only armed with a handgun or shotgun and not an assault rifle.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 08-15-2019, 08:09 AM   #152
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
if I’m in a mall shopping for Xmas, I think I have a better chance for survival, if he is only armed with a handgun or shotgun and not an assault rifle.
Your chance of survival, as it is, is excellent. But you'd have a bit better chance for survival if he wasn't armed at all. Actually, you'd have an even better chance of survival if the nut was not there.

The nut is the problem.
Old 08-15-2019, 11:56 AM   #153
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Exactly, but the number of nuts is increasing at a very fast rate, better hope one with daddy's or his newly acquired assault weapon doesn't ruin you Xmas shopping, your trip the the movies with the kids or grand kids or that country concert you were waiting to see.
Old 08-15-2019, 01:33 PM   #154
afterhours
Afterhours Custom Plugs

What's the take on the 5-10 million AR type gun in private hands now in circulation? You going to take them? If so, the civilian and leo casualties will out number the mass shooting #'s. You will instantly turn law abiding citizens into criminals and some won't swallow.

www.afterhoursplugs.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Afterh...428173?created

Instagram - afterhourscustom

Official S-B.com Sponsor

GAMEFISH NOW

"A GAMEFISH (WHICH STRIPED BASS SHOULD BE) IS TOO VALUABLE TO BE CAUGHT ONLY ONCE"...LEE WULFF
Old 08-15-2019, 02:58 PM   #155
Nebe

If you hold the parents of shooters accountable in terms of prison time for their child’s actions I bet you would solve a great % of mass shootings. If you know your kid is a risk and you had everything to loose I would imagine you might step up your parenting game.
That’s my take on a form of gun control.
Old 08-15-2019, 03:03 PM   #156
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by afterhours View Post
What's the take on the 5-10 million AR type gun in private hands now in circulation? You going to take them? If so, the civilian and leo casualties will out number the mass shooting #'s. You will instantly turn law abiding citizens into criminals and some won't swallow.

I think the Gun Control / Confiscation side is seriously overestimating how many LEOs will be willing to go in against the 2A and confiscate people's firearms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
If you hold the parents of shooters accountable in terms of prison time for their child’s actions I bet you would solve a great % of mass shootings. If you know your kid is a risk and you had everything to loose I would imagine you might step up your parenting game.
That’s my take on a form of gun control.

Would be a start. I do think there needs to be safe storage laws where they do not already exist (this is actual common sense gun discussion point). And I do not think young people need access to the safe (another actual common sense gun discussion point).

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 08-15-2019, 05:52 PM   #157
wdmso

Wayne LaPierre this week, days after multiple mass shootings in Texas, Ohio, and California left the country, once again, reeling and mourning: “There’s nothing about an insane criminal committing a horrible act that should lead to the government taking guns away from law abiding citizens.”

Republican lawmakers continue to block any effort to impose even the most simplistic regulations on guns,

American people continue to support common sense gun control measures by overwhelming majorities.

Fox News poll, the one that showed the NRA with its lowest favorability numbers ever, also captured one other troubling statistic for the organization: For the first time in its history, the NRA’s unfavorable numbers were higher than its favorable ones.

Keep saying no to any gun changes and sooner or later it will be done for you....

Last edited by wdmso; 08-15-2019 at 06:02 PM..
Old 08-15-2019, 06:30 PM   #158
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

I hear their poll numbers were 67% of those polled supported a ban on assault rifles, that has to include a good number of gun owners to be that high. Not likely anything will change, not until a couple GOP schools suffer the same high losses.
Old 08-15-2019, 07:40 PM   #159
Sea Dangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
I hear their poll numbers were 67% of those polled supported a ban on assault rifles, that has to include a good number of gun owners to be that high. Not likely anything will change, not until a couple GOP schools suffer the same high losses.
Did you hear Hillary is going to win the election in a landslide too?

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 08-15-2019, 09:23 PM   #160
Slipknot
Super Moderator

20,000 gun laws federal and state, and people want more. keep listening to your echo chambers

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Old 08-16-2019, 06:51 AM   #161
wdmso

There is a mental illness problem that has to be dealt with. It's not the gun that pulls the trigger — it's the person holding the
gun," Trump said. Flip flop flip flop
Old 08-16-2019, 06:54 AM   #162
JohnR

Hey All Y'all, let's have a discussion on what we can do for gun safety.

How about this and this to address problems with bad guys getting guns?

No, not far enough !! We need to remove the Automatic Climate Busting Weapons of Mass Assault Clips for people that haven't done anything wrong but are probably racists!!

But I am concerned that as a 2A supporter, with my rights being eroded and slowly infringed, because it is just one more step in a slow roll of steps.

Paraphrasing Wayne: "Don't be worried. No one is coming to take our guns that is just NRA Fear Mongering"

Actual Wayne:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
Keep saying no to any gun changes and sooner or later it will be done for you....
After the shootings this week in Philly, lawmakers and pundits are saying this is another reason we need common sense gun reform.

Except existing laws did not prevent this guy that shot 6 cops from using firearms, selling narcotics, and doing a host of other things that were against the law.

Anyone want to take a guess if he went through the same background checks I did?

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 08-16-2019, 06:54 AM   #163
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipknot View Post
20,000 gun laws federal and state, and people want more. keep listening to your echo chambers
I could not hear you over you were echoing .
please. Echo chamber you need to get expand your information base... this has been the trend for years
Old 08-16-2019, 07:20 AM   #164
wdmso

Quote:
Hey All Y'all, let's have a discussion on what we can do for gun safety.

How about this and this to address problems with bad guys getting guns?

No, not far enough !! We need to remove the Automatic Climate Busting Weapons of Mass Assault Clips for people that haven't done anything wrong but are probably racists!!

But I am concerned that as a 2A supporter, with my rights being eroded and slowly infringed, because it is just one more step in a slow roll of steps.

Paraphrasing Wayne: "Don't be worried. No one is coming to take our guns that is just NRA Fear Mongering"

Actual Wayne:

After the shootings this week in Philly, lawmakers and pundits are saying this is another reason we need common sense gun reform.

Except existing laws did not prevent this guy that shot 6 cops from using firearms, selling narcotics, and doing a host of other things that were against the law.

Anyone want to take a guess if he went through the same background checks I did?
John its call gun regulations not confiscation.. only a true believer would associates my statment as evidence we want to take your guns...keep spreading the lie.. but climate change is a hoax Russia a hoax. But there coming to take our guns many on the right believe that..

The NRA policy of just saying No .. its not flying with a large subsection of Americans.. once the NRA can't keep paying or candidates see there views as counter productive to their elections... you'll look back and wish common sense gun owners had a seat at the table.. but you gambled on No. Carrying the day... so you'll get what you get...
Old 08-16-2019, 08:33 AM   #165
Sea Dangles

Quote:
John its call gun regulations not confiscation.. only a true believer would associates my statment as evidence we want to take your guns...keep spreading the lie.. but climate change is a hoax Russia a hoax. But there coming to take our guns many on the right believe that..

The NRA policy of just saying No .. its not flying with a large subsection of Americans.. once the NRA can't keep paying or candidates see there views as counter productive to their elections... you'll look back and wish common sense gun owners had a seat at the table.. but you gambled on No. Carrying the day... so you'll get what you get...
I guess we should hold our breath.🤡

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 08-16-2019, 06:09 PM   #166
JohnR

Quote:

I believe in the 1A and the 2A. I believe in good people. I believe we have won the lottery of birth being born in this country (particularly after living overseas for several years). And I believe this country is truly great and that the liberties (supposed) and the freedoms granted are sacrosanct. I believe their are good people and ideas from the left and the right. I believe in the fact that sensible people can hash things out and come to an agreement.

I also believe that the left is more willing to cut those items out to the detriment of our countries benefit. This is why I am no longer a moderate Dem.

Wayne - you really need to step outside your bubble. Many of your statements lean right up against confiscation, or rely on such a fine line it is hard to see daylight between your position and confiscation / eroding of rights. Everything you push WRT Gun Control is the same. You target a large group of law abiding people and further to reduce their right to self defense beyond where already eroded.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 08-17-2019, 08:45 AM   #167
wdmso

Quote:
I believe in the 1A and the 2A. I believe in good people. I believe we have won the lottery of birth being born in this country (particularly after living overseas for several years). And I believe this country is truly great and that the liberties (supposed) and the freedoms granted are sacrosanct. I believe their are good people and ideas from the left and the right. I believe in the fact that sensible people can hash things out and come to an agreement.

I also believe that the left is more willing to cut those items out to the detriment of our countries benefit. This is why I am no longer a moderate Dem.

Wayne - you really need to step outside your bubble. Many of your statements lean right up against confiscation, or rely on such a fine line it is hard to see daylight between your position and confiscation / eroding of rights. Everything you push WRT Gun Control is the same. You target a large group of law abiding people and further to reduce their right to self defense beyond where already eroded.
30 years in Corrections 24 years in the Military bought and sold guns lived in mutiple states and a very diverse group of friends and acquaintance's. Thats a big bubble

Maybe you need to look beyound your bubble how any regulation always leads to confiscation as a argument against it 100% of the time

Not beliving people should not own Ak 47s and M-4 or an AR-15 or other assault rifles dosnt equal i support confiscation.. but with most conservatives it all or nothing ,

And the only party i have seen reducing the freedoms and choices of ordinary americans with vigor..are Republicans state and federal.. across America
Old 08-17-2019, 09:09 AM   #168
detbuch

Quote:
30 years in Corrections 24 years in the Military bought and sold guns lived in mutiple states and a very diverse group of friends and acquaintance's. Thats a big bubble

Maybe you need to look beyound your bubble how any regulation always leads to confiscation as a argument against it 100% of the time

Not beliving people should not own Ak 47s and M-4 or an AR-15 or other assault rifles dosnt equal i support confiscation.. but with most conservatives it all or nothing ,

And the only party i have seen reducing the freedoms and choices of ordinary americans with vigor..are Republicans state and federal.. across America
You are arguing for confiscation of certain types of guns, I suppose, because they are used to kill a lot of people. In actuality, the types of guns you say you are not interested in confiscating, on a daily basis, are used to kill lots more people than the guns you say should be confiscated.

One precedent leads to another. If the object is to save lives, than all guns should be banned from ownership. Before the mass shooting using high capacity guns started to happen, there were calls for the elimination of the right to own hand guns. I recall being able to search the net for articles, such as by the NYT that openly called for the elimination of the right to own guns. It's suspicious that I can't find those articles now on a web search.
Old 08-17-2019, 09:23 AM   #169
detbuch

Here's a NO GUN argument from an established and respected left wing publication, The New Republic.

https://newrepublic.com/article/1254...-guns-yes-them
Old 08-17-2019, 09:25 AM   #170
detbuch

Here is a call by the NYT to repeal the 2A:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/05/o...dment-nra.html
Old 08-17-2019, 09:41 AM   #171
detbuch

Here's a video by some would demonize as kooky but who actually presents a whole host of statistics re the various gun control arguments:

Old 08-17-2019, 09:58 AM   #172
detbuch

More ban all guns from the left including the WAPO:

https://newrepublic.com/article/1053...y-ban-all-guns
Old 08-17-2019, 09:58 AM   #173
detbuch

More ban all guns from the Tallahassee Democrat newspaper:

https://www.tallahassee.com/story/op...guns/19426029/
Old 08-17-2019, 10:01 AM   #174
detbuch

There are a lot more calls from the left to ban all guns. I'm not going to link them, but you get the picture
Old 08-17-2019, 02:30 PM   #175
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
Here is a call by the NYT to repeal the 2A:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/05/o...dment-nra.html
This is a very rational piece.
Old 08-17-2019, 02:32 PM   #176
spence

Quote:
Typical pink panty wearing, pot smoking, FM radio freakshow of a snowflake.
Old 08-17-2019, 02:41 PM   #177
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by afterhours View Post
That raises a good question as to how we got here in the first place.
Old 08-17-2019, 03:26 PM   #178
JohnR

Quote:

Apologies - your thought bubble. Your thought bubble is always pretty hard left. I know you have time in the Mil and I did not know you are in corrections (not surprised and I am not saying that in a malicious demeanor).

I can't get a M4. The worst I have is the scary looking version of a Ruger Mini-14. And you understand the background checks I have to go through to get one. When you were in the service you saw kids that probably should not have had access to one and did anyway, (some learned, some were moved elsewhere). Other than a rare accident, nothing went wrong with them. My hope is we find a way to weed out the people that should not have access to them so they cannot have them.

Courts have ruled that our rights as an American to defend ourselves grant us the right to access appropriate tools to do that. You are proposing to remove a/k/a infringe on that.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 08-17-2019, 03:34 PM   #179
afterhours
Afterhours Custom Plugs

Quote:
How do you make your belief "they should not own them" a reality?

www.afterhoursplugs.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Afterh...428173?created

Instagram - afterhourscustom

Official S-B.com Sponsor

GAMEFISH NOW

"A GAMEFISH (WHICH STRIPED BASS SHOULD BE) IS TOO VALUABLE TO BE CAUGHT ONLY ONCE"...LEE WULFF
Old 08-17-2019, 03:53 PM   #180
spence

Quote:
I can't get a M4. The worst I have is the scary looking version of a Ruger Mini-14.
For non-military purposes though they're pretty close to being the same weapon. I'll put you on the list.