Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 05-19-2020, 12:56 PM   #31
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
It simply means he's taking hydroxychloroquine.
Since the first huckster walked the planet, people who sell fake cures always pretend to take them.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 05-19-2020, 12:59 PM   #32
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
Since the first huckster walked the planet, people who sell fake cures always pretend to take them.
Trump is making money off that medicine?
Old 05-19-2020, 01:35 PM   #33
detbuch

Quote:
Wow! You even know about the first huckster who walked the planet. Or maybe you're trying to sell us some fake knowledge.
Old 05-19-2020, 07:42 PM   #34
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Wow! You even know about the first huckster who walked the planet. Or maybe you're trying to sell us some fake knowledge.
You honestly think President Tweety could keep his mouth shut for a week and a half if he was taking hydroxychloroquin.
Now that’s funny
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Lets Go Darwin
Old 05-19-2020, 08:05 PM   #35
detbuch

Quote:
You honestly think President Tweety could keep his mouth shut for a week and a half if he was taking hydroxychloroquin.
Now that’s funny
Yeah . . . that's hilarious.
Old 05-19-2020, 08:33 PM   #36
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Now that’s funny
Quote:
Yeah . . . that's hilarious.
Side effects of hydroxychloroquine include paranoia, hallucinations and psychosis

Lets Go Darwin
Old 05-19-2020, 10:20 PM   #37
detbuch

Quote:
Side effects of hydroxychloroquine include paranoia, hallucinations and psychosis
Trump isn't acting differently since he started the stuff. And you seem to have an abundance of paranoia and hallucinations without the hydroxychloroquine.

As you say, "Now that's funny."

Last edited by detbuch; 05-19-2020 at 10:42 PM..
Old 05-20-2020, 06:17 AM   #38
Jim in CT

Quote:
says the guy who puts an asterisk after Trumps name.

so what dose are you taking, exactly? i presume enough to prevent a horse from standing up?

Shocked that no one beat me to this, Scott you are asleep at the switch.
Old 05-20-2020, 07:36 AM   #39
Pete F.
Canceled

History will also put the asterisk after Trump*
Like this
*Donald J. Trump, the 45th President of the United States of America was impeached.
Old 05-20-2020, 07:42 AM   #40
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Trump isn't acting differently since he started the stuff. And you seem to have an abundance of paranoia and hallucinations without the hydroxychloroquine.

As you say, "Now that's funny."
You really should read President Tweety’s Twitter feed

Breaking: Michigan sends absentee ballots to 7.7 million people ahead of Primaries and the General Election. This was done illegally and without authorization by a rogue Secretary of State. I will ask to hold up funding to Michigan if they want to go down this Voter Fraud path!..

Lets Go Darwin
Old 05-20-2020, 07:48 AM   #41
Jim in CT

Quote:
History will also put the asterisk after Trump*
Like this
*Donald J. Trump, the 45th President of the United States of America was impeached.
Did history do that to Bill Clinton?
Old 05-20-2020, 07:58 AM   #42
Pete F.
Canceled

Bet Tweety’s won’t say this, in addition to being impeached.

Clinton left office with the highest end-of-office approval rating of any U.S. president since World War II, and has continually received high scores in the historical rankings of U.S. presidents.
Old 05-20-2020, 08:26 AM   #43
Jim in CT

Quote:
Bet Tweety’s won’t say this, in addition to being impeached.

Clinton left office with the highest end-of-office approval rating of any U.S. president since World War II, and has continually received high scores in the historical rankings of U.S. presidents.
You said the asterisk was for getting impeached. Now you're moving the goalposts.

You are right, Clinton still is very popular. A predator of women who kicked millions off welfare to pay for capital gains tax cuts (which worked marvelously).

Pete, what would you say today, about a POTUS who was a serial abuser of women, who wanted to give capital gains tax cuts (which disproportionately benefits the wealthy), and pay for it by kicking millions of people off welfare? Would such a person be well-received today? Or would you start 10 threads a day telling us that this person was going to kill us all?
Old 05-20-2020, 09:13 AM   #44
Pete F.
Canceled

93,594 dead
The world’s wealthiest country with 4% of the world’s population has 28% of the dead from Covid-19
Tweety’s bragging and you’re defending
Old 05-20-2020, 09:28 AM   #45
Jim in CT

Quote:
93,594 dead
The world’s wealthiest country with 4% of the world’s population has 28% of the dead from Covid-19
Tweety’s bragging and you’re defending
You dodged my question. Gee, I wonder why??

I'm not defending his tweets. I asked, since you defended Bill Clinton, what you would say about a modern-day POTUS who was a serial abuser of women, who had ties to admitted segregationists (I left that out last time), and who advocated cutting social services to fund capital gains tax cuts?

Any particular reason why you cannot answer that?

If your beliefs are so flimsy as to render you helpless in the face of such an obvious question, maybe it's time to question your beliefs.

Early on, Trump took one step to try and curtain the virus, he restricted travel from China. Your side was almost unanimous in saying that he over-reacted, that the virus wasn't serious enough to justify that. So please tell me, by what logic could anyone assume the death count would be lower if Hilary had won, or if Biden was running things? Safe to say that they would have done even less than Trump early on. So how would you presume we'd be better off? How many died because the Village Idiot Gov Cuomo forced nursing homes to admit covid-positive patients? Is that Trumps fault?
Old 05-20-2020, 10:29 AM   #46
Pete F.
Canceled

Rabies is fatal, just saying

Still looking for false equivalency, Clinton ain’t Trump* not even close

Using foreign aid to destroy rivals.

Weaponizing the judiciary.

Firing all the inspectors general.

Democracies begin to die when a leader starts to destroy the limits on his power, and his faction decides that he is more important than the republic.

Welcome to that moment.
Old 05-20-2020, 10:44 AM   #47
detbuch

Quote:

Democracies begin to die when a leader starts to destroy the limits on his power, and his faction decides that he is more important than the republic.

Welcome to that moment.
You have welcomed us to your attack by meaningless generalizations. Thanks, but we would be better off without them.
Old 05-20-2020, 10:47 AM   #48
Jim in CT

Quote:

Welcome to that moment.
"Clinton ain’t Trump* not even close "

YOU, not me, said that your asterisk for Trump was due to getting impeached. Clinton was also impeached. So using your criteria (impeachment brings with it an asterisk) they are indeed the same.

OK, I asked three times, you dodged three times, we all know you aren't going to answer, we all know why.

"Democracies begin to die when a leader starts to destroy the limits on his power, and his faction decides that he is more important than the republic.

Welcome to that moment."

So the courts no longer exist to keep the POTUS in check? He did away with the courts? I slept through that I guess. Also, isn't there an election in a few months, in which if enough people agree with you, he goes bye-bye? Or did he cancel the election, and I slept through that announcement as well.

To recap...

Pete: The asterisk is for impeachment.

Jim: Clinton was also impeached, do you give Clinton an asterisk?

Pete (head on verge of exploding): Clinton was popular, and Trump is a dictator, he's taking a wrecking ball to all of our institutions, and he's mean!!!

So the asterisk has nothing whatsoever to do with impeachment, it's just because you really don't like Trump. Which of course comes as a shock to all of us.
Old 05-20-2020, 11:07 AM   #49
Pete F.
Canceled

So here we are. TrumpWorld insists that we believe:

Trump saved America; but he is not responsible for the deaths of 90,000 Americans.

The pandemic was the worst thing that ever happened to America; but it was an over hyped scam.

It’s the Democrats’ fault that we shut down the country; but it was Trump who saved millions by shutting down the country.

Every hustle relies on the existence of a sucker who wants to believe, like Tweety’s fanboy.
Old 05-20-2020, 11:53 AM   #50
Jim in CT

Quote:

Trump saved America; but he is not responsible for the deaths of 90,000 Americans.

The pandemic was the worst thing that ever happened to America; but it was an over hyped scam.

It’s the Democrats’ fault that we shut down the country; but it was Trump who saved millions by shutting down the country.

Every hustle relies on the existence of a sucker who wants to believe, like Tweety’s fanboy.
"Trump saved America"

Who said that?

"he is not responsible for the deaths of 90,000 Americans."

He is responsible for the effectiveness of federal strategy, as governors are responsible for state strategy. The Gallup poll showed that 60% of Americans approve of the way Trump is handling this. you must have LOVED reading that poll.

"It’s the Democrats’ fault that we shut down the country; but it was Trump who saved millions by shutting down the country. "

Again, who said that?

How about responding to what we are actually saying, instead of pretending that we said crazy gibberish.
Old 05-20-2020, 12:37 PM   #51
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:

Trump* and Trump*

Trump* and Trump*

Trump* and Trump*

Google is easy

Lets Go Darwin
Old 05-20-2020, 02:45 PM   #52
detbuch

Quote:

Trump* and Trump*

He is somewhat right on both counts. Although, I don't know if he actually said that he is not responsible for deaths of 90,000 Americans. At any rate, he isn't.

Trump* and Trump*

The two notions, if understood as intended, are not incompatible.

He asked Dr. Brix if anything worse ever occurred in America and she said no. (They were discussing the pandemic and that it would have been worse than the 1918 flu pandemic except that we are far better able to handle it better today for various mostly technological reasons, and that we would have actually had more deaths now than during the 1918 pandemic if we had the same resources as we had then.)

And he has correctly referred to the notion that he is responsible for the outbreak here as a hoax. And there have been differing opinions, by the same "experts", at different times whether it was over hyped. Early on "experts" as well as Dems were saying that it was not as serious as what they said later on. Trump was even accused by Dems, early on, of over-reacting.

Trump* and Trump*

Again, the two notions are not incompatible. And did he say the shut down was the Dems fault, or that various Dem governors overdid it? And many have said he may well have saved millions by taking the advice of Drs. Brix and Fauci to do the quarantine.

Your a pretty good hustler.
Old 05-20-2020, 07:20 PM   #53
Pete F.
Canceled

Originally Posted by Pete F.

Trump* and Trump*

He is somewhat right on both counts. Although, I don't know if he actually said that he is not responsible for deaths of 90,000 Americans. At any rate, he isn't.

Trump* and Trump*

The two notions, if understood as intended, are not incompatible.

He asked Dr. Brix if anything worse ever occurred in America and she said no. (They were discussing the pandemic and that it would have been worse than the 1918 flu pandemic except that we are far better able to handle it better today for various mostly technological reasons, and that we would have actually had more deaths now than during the 1918 pandemic if we had the same resources as we had then.)

And he has correctly referred to the notion that he is responsible for the outbreak here as a hoax. And there have been differing opinions, by the same "experts", at different times whether it was over hyped. Early on "experts" as well as Dems were saying that it was not as serious as what they said later on. Trump was even accused by Dems, early on, of over-reacting.

Trump* and Trump*

Again, the two notions are not incompatible. And did he say the shut down was the Dems fault, or that various Dem governors overdid it? And many have said he may well have saved millions by taking the advice of Drs. Brix and Fauci to do the quarantine.

Your a pretty good hustler.

“Doublethink means the power of holding two contradictory beliefs in one’s mind simultaneously, and accepting both of them.”

—George Orwell, 1984
Old 05-20-2020, 10:30 PM   #54
detbuch

Quote:
“Doublethink means the power of holding two contradictory beliefs in one’s mind simultaneously, and accepting both of them.”

—George Orwell, 1984

In a more complete definition, Orwell defines doublethink as, "To know and to not know, to be conscious of complete truthfulness while telling carefully constructed lies, to hold simultaneously two opinions which cancelled out, knowing them to be contradictory and believing in both of them, to use logic against logic…" I doubt that you would consider Trump capable of being "conscious of compete truthfulness." so can't conceive of how he would even be capable of doublethink. Nor do I think that he considered his opinions to be lies, but believed they were true.

These are not contradictory opinions, so are not Orwellian doublethink.

These are not contradictory opinions since "it" (the scam) does not refer to the pandemic, but to the Dems blaming Trump for it. So, again, it is not Orwellian doublethink.

Again, not contradictory opinions since the reference was not to the same "shut down" in each. One, the Dems "fault," I'm guessing, referred to various Dem governors' excessive enforcement. The other was Trumps call for a national quarantine at the request of Birx and Fauci.

Are you, as in part of Orwell's above definition, "conscious of complete truthfulness while telling carefully constructed lies" when you fabricated the above "contradictions"?
Old 05-21-2020, 06:13 AM   #55
Pete F.
Canceled

Poor Trump
Mark Cuban: He’s the most powerful man in the world and he always plays the victim card. The dems are out to get me. The media is out to get me... He’s supposed to be the world’s best counter puncher and he hasn’t knocked anybody out. He just plays the victim.
Old 05-21-2020, 06:49 AM   #56
Sea Dangles

And Mark Cuban has a very important opinion because he owns a hoops team.
��

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 05-21-2020, 07:31 AM   #57
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
And Mark Cuban has a very important opinion because he owns a hoops team.
��
Don't forget his reality TV show too....

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 05-21-2020, 02:14 PM   #58
Pete F.
Canceled

Speaking of well informed reality TV stars

Lets Go Darwin
Old 05-21-2020, 06:34 PM   #59
Sea Dangles

Clearly the greatest president of our lifetime

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN