Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 04-28-2011, 04:18 PM   #1
Duke41
got gas?

If Obama is such a bad president why is he going to get relected?

Who is voting for this guy? He could beat any Republican right now. Maybe a little less Fox News and Sarah Palin and all the other noise and bs. The voters are a lot smarter then the Republicans and thier puppets realize. Now let me dive back into my Fox hole. Duck and cover.
Old 04-28-2011, 04:38 PM   #2
UserRemoved
GrayBeards

because he's got more money behind him and a good set of lawyers to shut people up.
Old 04-28-2011, 05:20 PM   #3
FishermanTim

maybe a little thing like "the minority vote"?
How about all those "undocumented immigrants" that they want to be allowed to vote?

Either that or the "Get out and (buy the) Vote! campaign!
Old 04-28-2011, 05:30 PM   #4
spence

I love it, Obama will because of coercion and illegal voting

While the Administration has done at times a poor job of managing the debate, the reality is he's really pretty pragmatic and not the radical promoted by the Right Wing. I think a lot of the middle gets this...

The GOP could certainly unseat him, assuming the economy starts to trend negative at the wrong time and a reasonable candidate emerges who doesn't make any big mistakes.

But even with economic growth tepid, the Dow is hovering under 13,000 and despite an incredibly challenging foreign policy environment the sky isn't falling. The incumbent has the upper hand here...

-spence
Old 04-28-2011, 05:34 PM   #5
Jackbass
Land OF Forgotten Toys

People are not That smart sorry. People are sheep That like to follow trends. Obama was the trendy choice with a lot of support from trendy popular people. Couple that with dynamic personality catchy slogans and an extremely unpopular lame duck you have a recipe for victory.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 04-28-2011, 06:00 PM   #6
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
I love it, Obama will because of coercion and illegal voting

While the Administration has done at times a poor job of managing the debate, the reality is he's really pretty pragmatic and not the radical promoted by the Right Wing. I think a lot of the middle gets this...

The GOP could certainly unseat him, assuming the economy starts to trend negative at the wrong time and a reasonable candidate emerges who doesn't make any big mistakes.

But even with economic growth tepid, the Dow is hovering under 13,000 and despite an incredibly challenging foreign policy environment the sky isn't falling. The incumbent has the upper hand here...

-spence

"While the Administration has done at times a poor job of managing the debate"

That's priceless. So when Americans reject what he's proposing (like civilian trials for terrorists), it isn't that Obama's ideas are stupid, it's that we don't grasp the brilliance of his ideas. One can only disagree with him if one misunderstands him, is that about right?

Do you have any idea how arrogant that is?

"not the radical promoted by the Right Wing."

He has added more to the debt than all 43 preceding presidents combined. And he wants to cut NOTHING. That's not radical?

"The incumbent has the upper hand here..."

I agree, if the economy remains stable (though broken in my opinion) he probbaly gets re-elected. But the GOP takes the Senate with a few seats to spare...

Spence, how do you explain the results of the 2010 elections? Let's not forget the drubbing that the Dems took a couple months ago, and that election was a referendum on the way the Democrats are handling the economy, that's all it was,,,
Old 04-28-2011, 06:12 PM   #7
UserRemoved
GrayBeards

I heard from this guy online he's a scum bag

Old 04-28-2011, 06:29 PM   #8
Nebe

He might not win... The "After-birthers" are demanding to see his placenta...
Old 04-29-2011, 03:46 AM   #9
Jackbass
Land OF Forgotten Toys

Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 04-29-2011, 03:59 AM   #10
UserRemoved
GrayBeards

THIS is WHY...just one of the many reasons...

Obama Administration punishes reporter for using multimedia : Bronstein at Large
Old 04-29-2011, 07:44 AM   #11
PaulS

It all will depend on the economy.
Old 04-29-2011, 07:55 AM   #12
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
It all will depend on the economy.
Exactly. If things remain stable, he probably gets re-elected. If we double-dip into another recession (which i think we will, but not necessarily before November 2012), he very likely gets dumped.
Old 04-29-2011, 08:05 AM   #13
UserRemoved
GrayBeards

He just lost the Amish vote.

Feds sting Amish farmer selling raw milk locally - Washington Times
Old 04-29-2011, 08:44 AM   #14
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Obama will probably be re-elected for the same reason he was elected. the other side will not put up a good candidate.
Period.

Shhhh and PS, duke.....you do rememeber that the stupid, mumbling, election, oil corrupt, conspirator, election stealer GWB was .....dare I say.....re-elected?

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 04-29-2011, 08:46 AM   #15
zimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke41 View Post
The voters are a lot smarter then the Republicans and thier puppets realize.
Unfortunately, 8 years of Bush shows this isn't true. There are alot of people susceptible to the "poor overtaxed me, held down by the liberals" deception of the Karl Rove crowd.

No, no, no. we’re 30… 30, three zero.
Old 04-29-2011, 08:47 AM   #16
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
Exactly. If things remain stable, he probably gets re-elected. If we double-dip into another recession (which i think we will, but not necessarily before November 2012), he very likely gets dumped.
only one thing has recovered since O has taken office - the stock market, thats it.

Housing sucks, jobs suck, deficit sucks. Stock market rebound benefits the "wall st fat cats" O made his enemies. ( I dont believe this but its true to the Dems war cry) All someone needs to do is make that case and they won.

Old 04-29-2011, 09:04 AM   #17
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimmy View Post
Unfortunately, 8 years of Bush shows this isn't true. There are alot of people susceptible to the "poor overtaxed me, held down by the liberals" deception of the Karl Rove crowd.

Zim, elections are decided by independents. Most independents are successful, educated and angry. O's numbers have dropped significantly among independents. Its not Fox news, rove or anything else liberals want to blame.

Old 04-29-2011, 09:25 AM   #18
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

It will probably come down to a few Hanging Chads again....

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 04-29-2011, 09:34 AM   #19
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post

Zim, elections are decided by independents. Most independents are successful, educated and angry. O's numbers have dropped significantly among independents. Its not Fox news, rove or anything else liberals want to blame.
And then it REALLY heavily depends on who the Right brings out...

I can see some I's backing Romney, but not Palin/Trump/Huckabee

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 04-29-2011, 09:42 AM   #20
zimmy

Jimmy,

Those independents re-elected Bush. I think, if anything, that supports my statement. The whole "if you don't elect Bush, you are in danger" scare tactic is exactly what I am talking about. Just because independents are "successful,educated..." doesn't mean they aren't susceptible to propaganda. I am also curious if you think tea party people are independents.

Old 04-29-2011, 10:05 AM   #21
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Jimmy,

Those independents re-elected Bush. I think, if anything, that supports my statement. The whole "if you don't elect Bush, you are in danger" scare tactic is exactly what I am talking about. Just because independents are "successful,educated..." doesn't mean they aren't susceptible to propaganda. I am also curious if you think tea party people are independents.
or.....they thought John Kerry was an elitist snob from a massivley liberal state. Again - the people picked the lesser of two evils

A portion of the tea party are independents. Google the news reports - there is a breakdown. I think its just over 10%.
The majority of the people I know, including many in this forum, some who are libs - agree with the tea party. I am independent, educated and I agree with everything the tea party seems to stand for. I'll give you a REAL world example - I just returned from visiting my in-laws in Northern CA. As we all know CA is bankrupt. Contra Costa county, just outside SF has a county sales tax of - 10.5% !!! Think of that Zimmy - for every dollar you make - 25-30% goes to the Feds, 5-10% goes to the state, and every dollar you spend - 10% goes to the county. Now add in property tax, all the taxes on phones, intranet, etc. How much of your hard earned dollar do you get to keep? 35 to 40 cents?????
Maybe you think its tea party non-sense. But its cold, hard facts. Now add in raising taxes and lowering deductions for people over 250K, think of what they get to keep is it 25 to 40 cents of every dollar? How inspired will these people be to work hard and innovate?
Can you tell me clearly what you do not agree with the tea party?

Old 04-29-2011, 10:19 AM   #22
fishbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
And then it REALLY heavily depends on who the Right brings out...

I can see some I's backing Romney, but not Palin/Trump/Huckabee
Romney is very susceptible to attacks from the other side. Whether he can withstand them the way O did during the last election would be the difference between him being elected or not. Skeletons in his closet aside, I think he might be the best choice right now for the Republicans. He's bright, has a good track record as a successful businessman and is almost as polished as Obama in front of the cameras.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
Old 04-29-2011, 10:46 AM   #23
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

you dont get much more independent than NH

(CNN) – President Obama is getting some ominous news out of New Hampshire Friday in a new poll that suggests he will lose the key presidential state by a sizable margin if former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney is the Republican nominee.

According to the new survey conducted by Dartmouth College, Romney beats the president in a head-to-head matchup by 8 points, 47 percent to 39 percent. Obama's poor showing against Romney is also the product of his weak approval rating in the Granite State, where only 36 percent of voters there give him positive marks. That compares to a 45 percent approval rating for Obama in New Hampshire in a similar poll one year ago.

Old 04-29-2011, 10:56 AM   #24
Jim in CT

Quote:
Jimmy,

Zimmy, are you seriously suggesting that only conservatives use scare tactics? Did you watch any of the 2008 presidential elecvtion, particularly after the economy collapsed? That was all the Dems did, was say "we can't afford 4 more years of this". Of cource, they never said exactly how the crash was the result of conservative ideology, they carefully stayed away from specifics...
Old 04-29-2011, 11:04 AM   #25
Jim in CT

Quote:
Jimmy,

Again, the liberal position that if you don't support liberal ideology, it MUST BE because you have been scared by right-wing propoganda. In other words, there can be no rational reason for believeing in conservative principles (low taxes, small govt, sanctity of life, strong national defense).

I've seen what happens everywhere liberal ideology has been implemented...western Europe, Scandanavia, here in CT, any business with labor unions...these are all bastions of liberal policies, and all are completely dysfunctional...

Tea partiers obviously lean to the right, but that doesn't mean they always vote Republican. Many Republican candidates are rejected by the Tea Party, look at what happened in the Deleware Senate race in 2010...
Old 04-29-2011, 11:12 AM   #26
Jim in CT

Quote:

Zimmy and Spence will say that independents are souring on Obama because they have been brainwashed, or because they have been irrationally scared, or, save the best for last, they are racist...

One could also speculate that they independents who got him elected have realized that Obama is not the centrist he presented himself to be (although I don't see how anyone could suggest that a man who supported infanticide is a centrist). And that nothing has changed in terms of how things get done. Obama marketed himself as the one who descended from the heavens to unite all of us, that only he could rise above partisan bickering and unite us all.

Well, we are more polarized than ever, myself included.

Last edited by Jim in CT; 04-29-2011 at 12:24 PM..
Old 04-29-2011, 11:33 AM   #27
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
Zimmy and Spence and Paul S will say that independents are souring on Obama because they have been brainwashed, or because they have been irrationally scared, or, save the best for last, they are racist...
You have any proof I've ever insinuated anything close to that?
Old 04-29-2011, 12:12 PM   #28
zimmy

Quote:
Can you tell me clearly what you do not agree with the tea party?
It is hard to figure out exactly what the tea party crowd would institute if they got power, so I will go down this simple list from the republic party/ tea party contract

1. Repeal the Affordable Care Act (Health Insurance Reform)
I think in the end it will be much better than the current system

2. Privatize Social Security or phase it out altogether
Privatizing social security is stupid.

3. End Medicare as it presently exists
The voucher thing is a joke. Ok, now that you are 65 go out and get your own insurance

4. Extend the Bush tax cuts

Not for over 500,000 imo. tax rate of the 1990's

5. Repeal Wall Street Reform
2000's all over again

6. Protect those responsible for the oil spill and future environmental catastrophes

Cap liabilities for those responsible for environmental disasters like the Gulf oil spill and let companies like BP decide which victims deserve compensation for the disaster and what the timeline for relief should be.
F' that
7. Abolish the Department of Education
could use cuts, but there are alot of things that are necessary that would get dumped on the states. So millionaires can pay less taxes? No thanks

8. Abolish the Department of Energy
are you kidding me?
End America's investments in a clean-energy future and disband the organization responsible for oversight of nuclear materials.

9. Abolish the Environmental Protection Agency

Pre 1970's environment was great wasn't it?

10. Repeal the 17th Amendment

This is genius

Enough reasons for you?

Old 04-29-2011, 12:23 PM   #29
Jim in CT

Quote:
It is hard to figure out exactly what the tea party crowd would institute if they got power, so I will go down this simple list from the republic party/ tea party contract

1. Repeal the Affordable Care Act (Health Insurance Reform)
I think in the end it will be much better than the current system

2. Privatize Social Security or phase it out altogether
Privatizing social security is stupid.

3. End Medicare as it presently exists
The voucher thing is a joke. Ok, now that you are 65 go out and get your own insurance

4. Extend the Bush tax cuts

Not for over 500,000 imo. tax rate of the 1990's

5. Repeal Wall Street Reform
2000's all over again

6. Protect those responsible for the oil spill and future environmental catastrophes

Cap liabilities for those responsible for environmental disasters like the Gulf oil spill and let companies like BP decide which victims deserve compensation for the disaster and what the timeline for relief should be.
F' that
7. Abolish the Department of Education
could use cuts, but there are alot of things that are necessary that would get dumped on the states. So millionaires can pay less taxes? No thanks

8. Abolish the Department of Energy
are you kidding me?
End America's investments in a clean-energy future and disband the organization responsible for oversight of nuclear materials.

9. Abolish the Environmental Protection Agency

Pre 1970's environment was great wasn't it?

10. Repeal the 17th Amendment

This is genius

Enough reasons for you?
Zimmy -

"It is hard to figure out exactly what the tea party crowd would institute if they got power"

When you dismiss/demonize everyone who disagrees with you, instead of listening to them, then I can see where you wouldn't understand what they would do. Obviously you don't listen even for a second, because if you did, you wouldn't claim that the Tea Party wants to do away with social security altogether. YOu also claim privatization is stupid. Well, I support privatization, and i can tell you why...anyone with half a brain can invest that money on their own and generate a much better return than what social security generates. To me, that makes some sense. You call it "stupid", and you offer not a word to support it. You only call it "stupid" because Rachael Maddow told you to think it, but you can't explain why...

Paul S, you were unfairly cast in that lot, I apologoze, sir...
Old 04-29-2011, 12:44 PM   #30
zimmy

Jim, you are really an unusual character. The agenda isnt clear, but maybe that is because it isn't really a political party to begin with. Tell me what is the platform then? This stuff is supposed to be directly from the proposed tea party contract with republicans. You want me to write a dissertation about each item? I think if you were as smart as you think you are, you could figure out from my short comment why I think abolishing the epa is bad. Maybe pictures would help?