Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 04-24-2014, 10:15 AM   #1
Jim in CT

Senator Warren (aka Lie-awatha) not running for POTUS

She no want-um teepee of great white chief?

Princess Spreding Bull to adoring crowd: Yes, I lied about my heritage to advance my career. I don't apologoze for it, in fact, you're going to like it and vote for me.

Crowd: Yaaaaaay!

We need to demand a bit more, this goes for both parties...
Old 04-24-2014, 11:51 AM   #2
Jackbass
Land OF Forgotten Toys

I don't care who is trotted out in the next election republican or democrat the winner has been chosen already and is currently residing in the pocket of many.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 04-24-2014, 02:19 PM   #3
spence

As a Native American I'm offended by your off color characterization of my people.

-spence
Old 04-24-2014, 02:46 PM   #4
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
As a Native American I'm offended by your off color characterization of my people.

-spence
Don't take this the wrong way, Spence.....But you may qualify as an off color characterization of your own people.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 04-24-2014, 02:49 PM   #5
Piscator

Quote:

-spence
HOW!

"I know a taxidermy man back home. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him!"
Old 04-24-2014, 02:55 PM   #6
Jim in CT

Quote:

-spence
Are you offended by the fact that she lied in order to claim that she deserves the same benefits that your people rightfully deserve?

In all seriousless, I am sorry if you were offended. If she hadn't lied (which should also offend you), I would have had nothing to comment on...
Old 04-24-2014, 04:36 PM   #7
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Quote:

-spence
So you are offended by Jim's opening? Or her lying? Or both?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
Don't take this the wrong way, Spence.....But you may qualify as an off color characterization of your own people.

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 04-24-2014, 06:28 PM   #8
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
So you are offended by Jim's opening? Or her lying? Or both?

John she didn't lie, she mis-spoke. Like our next President, when she claimed to have come under sniper fire while traveling overseas. Or maybe I just took Warren's claims "out of context". But she didn't lie...
Old 04-25-2014, 07:48 AM   #9
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
Are you offended by the fact that she lied in order to claim that she deserves the same benefits that your people rightfully deserve?

In all seriousless, I am sorry if you were offended. If she hadn't lied (which should also offend you), I would have had nothing to comment on...
I'm not convinced she's lied and I don't believe you could prove it if you had to.

A lot of people have Native American ancestry and aren't official tribal members. To become a member of the Cherokee Tribe (as Warren claimed) I had to show evidence tracing my bloodline back to the original Dawes Rolls. Doing so doesn't get you a lot beyond tribal voting rights as the Cherokee don't have a minimum blood threshold...Both my kids are in process right now, it's not a quick thing. She appears to have believed she had Native American blood and other family members have said the same thing. If she genuinely believed this -- regardless if it's right or wrong -- how can you say she lied?

Why this would compel her to indicate minority status on a school directory I don't know, perhaps she just thought it was a neat thing and wanted to express it. More importantly though, from everything I've ever read she never gained any benefit from doing so and she was highly qualified for every position she achieved.

Remember the big reason this story was floated in the first place was because Scott Brown couldn't match her on the issues...it was all he had.

-spence

Last edited by spence; 04-25-2014 at 07:54 AM..
Old 04-25-2014, 09:04 AM   #10
buckman

Quote:
I'm not convinced she's lied and I don't believe you could prove it if you had to.

A lot of people have Native American ancestry and aren't official tribal members. To become a member of the Cherokee Tribe (as Warren claimed) I had to show evidence tracing my bloodline back to the original Dawes Rolls. Doing so doesn't get you a lot beyond tribal voting rights as the Cherokee don't have a minimum blood threshold...Both my kids are in process right now, it's not a quick thing. She appears to have believed she had Native American blood and other family members have said the same thing. If she genuinely believed this -- regardless if it's right or wrong -- how can you say she lied?

Why this would compel her to indicate minority status on a school directory I don't know, perhaps she just thought it was a neat thing and wanted to express it. More importantly though, from everything I've ever read she never gained any benefit from doing so and she was highly qualified for every position she achieved.

Remember the big reason this story was floated in the first place was because Scott Brown couldn't match her on the issues...it was all he had.

-spence
Would you be offended if I asked why you and your children are going through the process of legitimizing your claim as a Native American ? Is it just cool ?
Old 04-25-2014, 03:54 PM   #11
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
Would you be offended if I asked why you and your children are going through the process of legitimizing your claim as a Native American ? Is it just cool ?
Why would I be offended? My father is into genealogy and likes to record the family heritage. Have a distant cousin that was running for tribal chief. It is cool...

-spence
Old 04-25-2014, 10:22 AM   #12
Jim in CT

Quote:

-spence
"I'm not convinced she's lied "

Shocker. Somehow, you aren't convinced that Hilary lied about the sniper attack, despit the video footage of what actuallyhappened. To you, no prominent politician with a (D) after their name can be a liar.

"She appears to have believed she had Native American blood "

How could you POSSIBLY know what she actually believed? How coudl you know that she didn't just check that box to get the job she wanted?

Using your "logic", I can say that Gov Christie's people really thought they were conducting a traffic study when they snarled traffic on the bridge.

"she was highly qualified for every position she achieved. "

So was justice Bork. In the real world, poitical considerations sometime mean a great deal. Is that news to you?
Old 04-25-2014, 03:55 PM   #13
spence

Quote:
How could you POSSIBLY know what she actually believed? How coudl you know that she didn't just check that box to get the job she wanted?
Well, that's what she said. As I indicated, I don't see any evidence she checked a box to get any job nor did she receive any special favors.

Quote:
So was justice Bork. In the real world, poitical considerations sometime mean a great deal. Is that news to you?
Irrelevant.

-spence
Old 04-24-2014, 04:46 PM   #14
Raven

she needs a scar on her nose
shelayinhayallday
Old 04-25-2014, 08:15 AM   #15
Piscator

What's the big deal anyway...didn't the Native Americans come accross from Asia/Russia through Alaska like 20,000 years ago?

So technically Warren is part Commie...
Old 04-26-2014, 03:23 PM   #16
Jackbass
Land OF Forgotten Toys

If there was no gain she wouldn't have done it. My guess is they had to round out the profile of the U had money to hire a minority professor. A solid candidate for a position at the school Warren was slid into the role of Cherokee and was coached to do so. The only person or people it matters to are Those who are in fact minority and were not hired so lily white Warren could come in with her pseudo native lineage
Old 04-26-2014, 05:39 PM   #17
buckman

There is a lot of hypocracy and questionable dealings in her and her husbands past .
Not a nice person even if she has devoted apologist and followers . I've met her in a parking spot in Cambridge that she felt she owned ..she believes she's better then others . Btw I was in the right and she went ballistic on the poor police officer who told her to move
Old 04-26-2014, 05:56 PM   #18
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
I've met her in a parking spot in Cambridge that she felt she owned ..Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Her people probably lived in that spot, weaving baskets and hunting buffalo and smoke-um peace pipe, before your people showed up.

She is a miserable Marxist shrew. I wish she was running...
Old 04-28-2014, 07:11 PM   #19
Jim in CT

Fauxcohontas is also on a rant lately about how unfair it is that college students have to carry so much debt. This, coming from a blowhard who pulled down $430k a year while teaching at Harvard. And she feels in no way responsible for the debt her students have to carry.

These people have no shame, and their hypocrisy knows no bounds.
Old 04-29-2014, 07:17 AM   #20
PaulS

Quote:
blowhard

These people have no shame I would ask the same thing about you, and their hypocrisy knows no bounds.
NM
Old 04-29-2014, 12:58 PM   #21
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
NM
Actually, I am full of shame. To quote George Costanza, who thought he was dying and Jerry asked him to at least die with dignity..."I lived my whole life in shame, why should I die with dignity!"

George Costanza, interestingky enough, was not as big a liar as Mizz Warren, aka Princess Spreading Bull...
Old 04-29-2014, 02:53 PM   #22
PaulS

You make some good points but lose me when you start going off like that. She said she was told her whole life she was part Indian.

Let's talk about Mr Bundy. That was a good one.
Old 04-30-2014, 08:34 AM   #23
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
She said she was told her whole life she was part Indian.

She selected "white" on previous job applications. And when asked why her current employer had her listed as Native American, she did not say "because I am a Native American, so that's what I told them." What she responded was "I don't know why they think I'm Native American". When the reporter showed her the application she filled out, where she checked off Native American, THAT'S when she said "oh yes, I told them that, but it's true so no worries."

Come on, Paul. I think you know what happened here. I don't care about her political affiliation. We all know this doesn't pass the common sense test.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:10 AM   #24
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
So it's OK for your people to discriminate?

Quote:
I'd think of it as more of a settlement than discrimination. It's legal...

-spence
So, in your opinion, certain degrees of discrimination are acceptable. If it is "more" of something other than discrimination, then the discrimination doesn't count. Notwithstanding that it is usually, in the eyes of the accused discriminator, more of something else, such as religious belief for instance, than discrimination. And yet, for the "good" of society in general, courts keep striking down that "more of something else" in favor of it just being discrimination. But, as it is your people who are discriminating in this case, I can see how you would be good with it.

That "settlement" thing is ominous. Is that in perpetuity? Are your people forever "legally" allowed to discriminate? Is it settled that those with traces of your people's blood will be allowed from now on to legally to discriminate? I can see why it would be "cool," as you put it, to be one of your people.

Concerning your "its legal ...". . . anti-discrimination "laws" are generally discriminatory. They discriminate against the personal proclivities of one party (even if they are "more" of something else) in favor of those of another party. Of course, such laws are, as you say, "more of a settlement than discrimination." They're legal . . .

If their is a problem with this sort of mixed legality, it is that there is no concrete principle behind the "laws." They are more opinion which shifts depending on the "justice" du jour. If your "people" benefit . . . hooray. If not, you should just go away.

Another problem is that as a country we are divided into separate opposing "people" rather than one comprised of unique individuals.
Old 04-30-2014, 08:36 AM   #25
Jim in CT

Quote:
Quote:
So it's OK for your people to discriminate?

So, in your opinion, certain degrees of discrimination are acceptable. If it is "more" of something other than discrimination, then the discrimination doesn't count. Notwithstanding that it is usually, in the eyes of the accused discriminator, more of something else, such as religious belief for instance, than discrimination. And yet, for the "good" of society in general, courts keep striking down that "more of something else" in favor of it just being discrimination. But, as it is your people who are discriminating in this case, I can see how you would be good with it.

That "settlement" thing is ominous. Is that in perpetuity? Are your people forever "legally" allowed to discriminate? Is it settled that those with traces of your people's blood will be allowed from now on to legally to discriminate? I can see why it would be "cool," as you put it, to be one of your people.

Concerning your "its legal ...". . . anti-discrimination "laws" are generally discriminatory. They discriminate against the personal proclivities of one party (even if they are "more" of something else) in favor of those of another party. Of course, such laws are, as you say, "more of a settlement than discrimination." They're legal . . .

If their is a problem with this sort of mixed legality, it is that there is no concrete principle behind the "laws." They are more opinion which shifts depending on the "justice" du jour. If your "people" benefit . . . hooray. If not, you should just go away.

Another problem is that as a country we are divided into separate opposing "people" rather than one comprised of unique individuals.
Now you got it. When Spence doesn't sympathize with whomever is on the receiving end, it's discrimination. When Spence does sympathize with whomever is on the receiving end, it's not discrimination, but rather, a "settlement."

Do you have it now, Detbuch? Does it make sense...
Old 05-01-2014, 10:46 AM   #26
spence

Quote:

Did you forget the part about Native Americans being expelled from their lands and rounded up into reservations to begin with?

-spence
Old 05-01-2014, 01:26 PM   #27
buckman

Quote:
Did you forget the part about Native Americans being expelled from their lands and rounded up into reservations to begin with?

-spence
Today we call it "affordable housing"
Old 05-01-2014, 06:22 PM   #28
detbuch

Quote:

-spence
Quote:

-spence
No. I did not forget that. One of the most racist, brutal, and illegal acts committed by the U.S. Federal government was Andrew Jackson's refusal to follow the Supreme Court's opinion against the removal of the Indians from their homeland. The "Trail of Tears," as well as many other episodes and actions, We're dark marks in American history.

I have a spiritual harmony with what little I think I know about a small portion of pre-white native American culture. Within that limited spiritual sphere . . . much, I admit, is probably over romanticized . . . within it there is an almost overwhelming sympathy in me for an Indian way of life that was far more in harmony with the land and nature than the way we live today.

I would like a return to some portion of that way. And to infuse it with a return to a constitutional form of government. One, by the way, which may also have a native American contribution through the Iroquois Nation system's influence on the formation of the Constitution.

But that has little to do with discrimination. In my opinion, Indians have every right to discriminate in who they hire, or to whom they sell, or with whom they associate. I think African Americans, Asian Americans, and European Americans, also have those rights. And when government decides with whom and how we associate, and do business with, outside the restriction of anyone denying another those same rights, it is as dictatorial, unconstitutional, unethical, and immoral, as resettlement of Indians from their home to reservations. And it is as destructive to the human spirit in general as it was to the native American spirit. I don't make that as a material comparison, but as a political, philosophical, and ideological one.
Old 05-02-2014, 03:22 PM   #29
spence

Quote:
No. I did not forget that. One of the most racist, brutal, and illegal acts committed by the U.S. Federal government was Andrew Jackson's refusal to follow the Supreme Court's opinion against the removal of the Indians from their homeland. The "Trail of Tears," as well as many other episodes and actions, We're dark marks in American history.
Agree.

Quote:
I have a spiritual harmony with what little I think I know about a small portion of pre-white native American culture. Within that limited spiritual sphere . . . much, I admit, is probably over romanticized . . . within it there is an almost overwhelming sympathy in me for an Indian way of life that was far more in harmony with the land and nature than the way we live today.
Yes, and no WI-FI either.

Quote:
I would like a return to some portion of that way. And to infuse it with a return to a constitutional form of government. One, by the way, which may also have a native American contribution through the Iroquois Nation system's influence on the formation of the Constitution.
It begs the question if sometimes the original "constitutional form of government" hasn't been over romanticized as well. If I remember correctly it didn't last all that long...

Quote:
But that has little to do with discrimination. In my opinion, Indians have every right to discriminate in who they hire, or to whom they sell, or with whom they associate. I think African Americans, Asian Americans, and European Americans, also have those rights. And when government decides with whom and how we associate, and do business with, outside the restriction of anyone denying another those same rights, it is as dictatorial, unconstitutional, unethical, and immoral, as resettlement of Indians from their home to reservations. And it is as destructive to the human spirit in general as it was to the native American spirit. I don't make that as a material comparison, but as a political, philosophical, and ideological one.
Good you recognized that. In theory piece of paper is the same as a pizza, from a certain perspective...

I think the Native American situation is a bit different in that there's some level of sovereignty still in effect. I have the understanding that tribes have some latitude under Federal law to protect the economic interests of the tribe. At this point I'm not sure how it's discrimination rather than a matter of internal affairs.

-spence
Old 05-01-2014, 02:20 PM   #30
spence

Great article in CNN today.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/05/01/opinio...html?hpt=hp_t4

-spence