Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 02-27-2016, 07:42 AM   #61
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Small belly wgt. Not much though. Kind of inconsequential
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 06:48 PM   #62
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLH View Post
Thanks maybe I'll have to cut a slope head on one and see how it swims.

I got some info from someone who fishes the originals pretty often and he said they probably get down around 8' or maybe more. Not sure if these will get that deep or not. I still need to swim them in some open water.
The original large maple I x-rayed has a 5/16 x 1/4" wt 3 3/8" from the nose. It weighed 3.55 oz rigged but WITHOUT hooks
I would not, however, focus on building exactly to these dimensions.
Maple varies a lot in weight. To start I would float your plug rigged with hooks in water and, using a rubber band to hold on different weights in different locations, weight it to float with only its back just proud of the water (the buoyancy in saltwater will be greater).

I have built a number of maples in both sizes and fished them but without much success. If you are trying to get deep the conrad is a better option (I think).

Neither the conrad or the maple are great in current because of their wide wag (which increases resistance and pulls the plug up). You might try a lefty2 high slot lip on the bigger maple body (+/- adding a slope to the head) if you want to stay stable in current. I've not done this but I have had success doing so with the large pine body and I think Musso may have actually made some special pines this way (just a guess based on a story I heard about a special pine he built).
numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 06:54 PM   #63
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linesider82 View Post
Paul and/or George,

On your AYC darters are you adding weight? Also, what length darter is your cutoff for not using AYC?
I have not used AYC for darters (too allergenic).
I use soft maple and adjust time in the sealer to get the body weight I want.
I have experimented quite a bit with weighting smaller darters.
Even when exactly the same weight don't think they swim as well as their unweighted cousins made of heavier wood. That said, the three hook Gibbs was weighted and fishes well.....which is no surprise considering the genius of the man who developed it.
You also want to be careful thinning the tail of darters.
Insufficient buoyancy in the tail will make the plug more prone to roll.
You usually can't get a darter to run much deeper by making it heavier (they just roll).
If you want deep then you need to fool with the slope and line tie position.

Of final note, classically most darters are about 1/8" thinner at the nose than the belly. When the face is the widest spot they tend to want to swim more than dart (not that that is bad).

Last edited by numbskull; 02-27-2016 at 07:01 PM..
numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 07:32 AM   #64
pbadad

It's Sunday morning. I have my coffee and planning my stay in the "cave" today. Finally the minimal lures I did are primed and will put some colors to them.Made up some "bone" white to shoot for belly. I have a few color requests but the rest I don't know. Usually once I get the paint in front of me I brainstorm what to paint. My new scheme is lime green w/red head, Black over sprayed with red, purple and misted w/gold is my new dark color. I have pikes which will be painted in blackfish, porky and sea bass colors. Blackfish and sea bass was a producer last year. I paint the blackfish white then scale black then over spray brown in blotches vertically. Sea bass is light blue to silver belly over sprayed with black scale. I use a thicker net to show more blue. Trying to find some net similar to clementine netting but with smaller holes and wider net lines. Enjoy your day guys. I post some pix soon.

Billy D.
pbadad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 09:10 AM   #65
stripercrazy
Hernia Pikie Maker

heading to rissa show.......i don't know why lol.....look for hooks lol

its no ones fault
stripercrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 10:33 AM   #66
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Hmmmmm...... I have a couple dozen poplar spook bodies that I turned either last year or the year before. Might see if I can get them drilled out today and then seal. That would be the most I have done in over a year.....
I remember using the poplar, A. because I had it, B. it was fine if it absorbs a lot of sealer as the added weight helps, at least on mine. And C. because if they are fished, as intended, they weren't designed to last a lifetime....

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 02:27 PM   #67
JLH

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbskull View Post
The original large maple I x-rayed has a 5/16 x 1/4" wt 3 3/8" from the nose. It weighed 3.55 oz rigged but WITHOUT hooks
Maple varies a lot in weight. To start I would float your plug rigged with hooks in water and, using a rubber band to hold on different weights in different locations, weight it to float with only its back just proud of the water (the buoyancy in saltwater will be greater).

I have built a number of maples in both sizes and fished them but without much success. If you are trying to get deep the conrad is a better option (I think).

Neither the conrad or the maple are great in current because of their wide wag (which increases resistance and pulls the plug up). You might try a lefty2 high slot lip on the bigger maple body (+/- adding a slope to the head) if you want to stay stable in current. I've not done this but I have had success doing so with the large pine body and I think Musso may have actually made some special pines this way (just a guess based on a story I heard about a special pine he built).
Thanks George! I did try a version of the maple with the left 2 lip which I preferred over the pike lip on the pine version but it seemed to swim almost identically to the one with the pikie 2 lip. I will try adding some weight to the ones I've built to see how it impacts the action and depth. The slope head is a nice idea as well that I'm going to try out.

I did finally get around to building some larger needles and test swam them this weekend. They are 9.25" and depending on the version I was testing they ranged from 3oz up to 4.3oz. I'm liking the skinnier 3oz version the best so far.
JLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 08:27 AM   #68
pbadad

Time to apply the finish coat. E - text . Also trying a concrete sealer on some personal plugs. I'm trying to find a better finish. Harder and durable. I have a few needles from an unknown builder which show virtually no wear. He was a boat builder but would not reveal his finish. Always in search of the "Holy Grail" of finishing.

Billy D.
Old 03-06-2016, 08:53 AM   #69
stripermaineiac

Some of that stuff those boat builders use is some caustic. I tried a couple when I started an they gave me a doozy of a head ache even with a mask on.
stripermaineiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 10:30 AM   #70
stripercrazy
Hernia Pikie Maker

got a game dinner today but might turn a couple Donny body's off to the lathe

its no ones fault
Old 03-06-2016, 12:03 PM   #71
pbadad

Here's a few pikes and wadds.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160306_114723.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	62607   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160306_115054.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	62608  

Billy D.
Old 03-06-2016, 12:15 PM   #72
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

System 3 clear coat Billy give it a try
Old 03-06-2016, 03:25 PM   #73
pbadad

That will be my next move if this DIRECT COLOR - AC 1315 doesn't pan out. I did one coat , I'll do another tomorrow and possibly one more. Stuff flows .I keep water. What system 3 clear coat do you use? I see there's a couple different ones in our Woodcraft catalog.

Billy D.
Old 03-06-2016, 04:23 PM   #74
chefchris401
Chris Blouin

Got my dust collector all set up finally, couple different hood systems to mess around with.

Used the big 16x13 one this week while turning, did a nice job of catching the smaller pieces but with no clear plexi piece to knock down the actually large chips like the PSI one it still made a mess.

So will play around with the PSI one this week, and see how that works, or build a clear plexi piece to knock down the chips.

Did get some more Donnys turned and some slim version wadd needles I want to mess around with.
chefchris401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 04:42 PM   #75
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Sys 3 clearcoat, not mirror-coat. I like 2 coats. First coat goes on crappy, I don't sweat it, 2nd coat fixes everything. Do 2nd coat before 72 hours or you have to scratch 1st coat and wipe with isopropyl alcohol. I prefer to do second next day if possible so no scratching. It is a 2 to 1 mix. Dries to a hard clear Very durable finish. It is used in boat building. Not a bar top epoxy like e tex or similar 1 to 1 mixes. There is a learning curve but worth the effort IMO.
Old 03-06-2016, 05:21 PM   #76
Slipknot
Super Moderator

I looked at some of my plugs today, then grabbed my gun and went to the range. Spring is almost here, no motivation to make time to build anything, I wish I had some, oh well. You guys stuff looks good

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 07:55 PM   #77
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Don't worry Bruce I got plenty

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
Old 03-06-2016, 11:27 PM   #78
Slipknot
Super Moderator

I have plenty Paul
Just miss making them
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 07:40 AM   #79
stripermaineiac

I'm working with some cherry ballister stock for another squid color option. The soak brings out a nice color. Gonna be heavy as I'm looking for something to dig into fast water so making a couple swimming spooks and super spooks out of it. i'll try to get some pics up when done.
stripermaineiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 01:12 PM   #80
JLH

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbskull View Post

I added a little over 10 grams of weight to the belly of the maples and they both swim much nicer now. I'm not sure that they will be great plugs in fast current but definitely seem to want to get down deep in slower water. Still want to try one with a slop head to see if it will swim better (tighter) in fast moving water.
JLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 06:48 PM   #81
pbadad

Sys 3 clearcoat, not mirror-coat

thanks Paul.

Billy D.
Old 03-10-2016, 07:30 AM   #82
pbadad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorM View Post
System 3 clear coat Billy give it a try
Paul as of now I assemble , coat ,heat with gun to get epoxy flowing ,flip 3 or so times. Can this still be possible due to the longer set time or is a spinner with heater needed?

Billy D.
Old 03-13-2016, 07:48 AM   #83
pbadad

Painting my "silent George" remakes. Simple colors fluorescent green w/white & chartreuse bellys , dark greenw/silver belly. Try to find is my yellow mackerel pencils and blue cloud. Weather being so nice, trying to push the next few weeks in finishing up. Time to fish!

Billy D.
Old 03-14-2016, 09:13 AM   #84
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbadad View Post
Paul as of now I assemble , coat ,heat with gun to get epoxy flowing ,flip 3 or so times. Can this still be possible due to the longer set time or is a spinner with heater needed?
I would make a spinner with a little heat just makes it easier in our climate but Mike Fixter uses clear coat and flips his plugs, he is in Northern Cal., so it is possible.

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
Old 03-20-2016, 09:33 AM   #85
Diggin Jiggin

I'm finally getting around to turning a few.
Just needles for now, maybe some pencils if I can get to them. I've been fishing a lot more needles the past few years.

I still like really the turning part of it but kind of dread the rest of the process. I just hope i can get some of these done by the time the fish are here...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0791.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	383.7 KB
ID:	62671  
Diggin Jiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 12:01 PM   #86
johnny ducketts
><(((°> ><((( °> ><(((°>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diggin Jiggin View Post
I'm finally getting around to turning a few.
Just needles for now, maybe some pencils if I can get to them. I've been fishing a lot more needles the past few years.

I still like really the turning part of it but kind of dread the rest of the process. I just hope i can get some of these done by the time the fish are here...

I have a box myself, I need to finish up.

60 % of the time, it works every time.
johnny ducketts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 01:12 PM   #87
stripercrazy
Hernia Pikie Maker

happy easter

its no ones fault
Old 03-27-2016, 01:15 PM   #88
stripercrazy
Hernia Pikie Maker

its no ones fault