Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Sports Talk - Title Town

Sports Talk - Title Town Sports Talk - Our Home for the 2004/2007 World Champion Red Sox, Super Bowl XXXVI, XXXVIII, XXXIX Champion Patriots! SEVENTEEN TIME NBA Champion Boston Celtics, 2011 winners of Lord Stanley's Cup Boston Bruins!!!

Old 06-11-2010, 09:06 PM   #1
MarshCappa
Marcia! Marcia! Marcia!

World Cup

OK who's going to watch this football tourney in South Africa called the World Cup? I think the Pats have as good a chance as anybody as long as Brady stays healthy and the D can put some pressure on the opposing QB...........Oh wait a minute it's the "OTHER FOOTBALL"!!!

Seriously though I'll watch some of the matches and will follow the U.S. but I'm not a huge fan. I crack up at all the drama of getting kicked in the shins and rolling around in pain and then 5 minutes later they are running full speed down the field. Some of them even get carried off on stretchers and are back a minute later like nothing happened! It's a whiners sport in my opinion but I do watch some of the matches from time to time just to stay cultured I guess. So who else is going to admit to watching the foooze ball?

"Sunshine Day Dream"
MarshCappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 10:02 PM   #2
spence

Start watching and you'll get hooked.

Tomorrow is USA vs England...has the potential to be epic for an early match.

-spence
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 10:15 PM   #3
mosholu
Mosholu

Having Irish parents and having lived in England for 11 years I have the same reaction to American football as you do to soccer. They get up and they fall down and the process is repeated over the course of four hours as there are continuing breaks to bring in the guy who only plays when there is a third down and the wind is blowing out of the east.

In any event this US team has a decent chance to make it in to the second round if they can draw to with England tomorrow. The great thing about this world cup is that there is no clear favorite and the competition is really open. Watch some of the games with the quality attacking teams like Brazil, Spain or the Netherlands and you may be surprised about how much you like it.
mosholu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 05:16 AM   #4
cableguy

Cant wait to start watching it....I have to work on Sat, so I am going to DVR the US-England match and hope I dont find out about it till I get home...This should be a great World Cup...
cableguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 06:16 AM   #5
Goose

luv it , soccer is the balls
Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 08:26 AM   #6
MarshCappa
Marcia! Marcia! Marcia!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosholu View Post
Having Irish parents and having lived in England for 11 years I have the same reaction to American football as you do to soccer. They get up and they fall down and the process is repeated over the course of four hours as there are continuing breaks to bring in the guy who only plays when there is a third down and the wind is blowing out of the east.

In any event this US team has a decent chance to make it in to the second round if they can draw to with England tomorrow. The great thing about this world cup is that there is no clear favorite and the competition is really open. Watch some of the games with the quality attacking teams like Brazil, Spain or the Netherlands and you may be surprised about how much you like it.
Come on man there's more real collisions on one play in American football than a whole soccer match. And if an American football player is hurt it's real and not some drama. If a stretcher comes out on an NFL field the stadium is silent and it's usually very serious.

Get real man, soccer is big around the world but it's a little on the panzy side for me. LOL Just kidding around a little sorry. Those guys are good athletes with lots of talent obviously.

"Sunshine Day Dream"
Old 06-12-2010, 10:25 AM   #7
Clogston29
xxx

Keep in mind that there are no stoppages or timeouts. That's part of why they stay down for a while, its kind of an unofficial break. And anyone who watches the NBA has no right to complain about diving. Even the NFL is having issues with receivers diving looking for calls

Argentina game is enteraining right now. Lots of good offensive players. Not completely playing as a unit yet. I really like tevez. Tough bastard.

Really hope John harkes doent ruin all the us games for me. He sucks.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Clogston29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 11:38 AM   #8
mosholu
Mosholu

Marsh,
Nobody can take away from the fact that they are great athletes and there are some seriously heavy hits. Of course when you are covered in that much padding with a layer of plastic over on top and amped up on god knows what it is easy to throw yourself at people. QBs do not call their own game as the plays are sent in by radio from a guy on the roof and the majority of critical scoring plays are attempted by some failed little soccer player. No wonder the rest of the world can not watch it (canadians aside).
If you had an offensive and defensive team and once you are subbed for you are out of the game you may have a decent sport come out of it after a couple of years. It would kind of be like rugby.

For World Cup fans - Nigeria was really poor and in the second half were more worried about conceding a second goal than trying to get a point.
Old 06-12-2010, 12:12 PM   #9
MarshCappa
Marcia! Marcia! Marcia!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosholu View Post
Marsh,
Nobody can take away from the fact that they are great athletes and there are some seriously heavy hits. Of course when you are covered in that much padding with a layer of plastic over on top and amped up on god knows what it is easy to throw yourself at people. QBs do not call their own game as the plays are sent in by radio from a guy on the roof and the majority of critical scoring plays are attempted by some failed little soccer player. No wonder the rest of the world can not watch it (canadians aside).
If you had an offensive and defensive team and once you are subbed for you are out of the game you may have a decent sport come out of it after a couple of years. It would kind of be like rugby.

For World Cup fans - Nigeria was really poor and in the second half were more worried about conceding a second goal than trying to get a point.
Dude don't even go there. Some of my friends in high school openly admitted they played soccer because they were afraid of getting hit in football. Completely different game so you can't even say soccer players are tougher than football players. I'll give them the stamina thing cuz the game keeps moving but take a look off the ball and they stand around or jog. They would pee their pants if they had to line up for a play in the NFL or they would do what they do best and fake an injury to stop play.

Enjoy your sport, it's pretty good to watch and I do like the rival countries playing eachother. But don't try and argue the toughness thing, it's not even comparable.

"Sunshine Day Dream"
Old 06-12-2010, 12:28 PM   #10
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master

I wish the effing color commentators would shut up. The American ones are intolerable, and this british guy is a moron. Clueless. And way too much talking, even from Adrian Healy who ought to know better. Do they think people tune in to hear them? So annoying.

This subliminal FIFA logo everytime they switch a camera shot is sad, as well.

S Korea vs Argentina is looking like it will be a super game.

These horns are killing me already...it must be brutal in the stadiums.

Missed France/Uruguay....heard it was awful. That group will be dull. Mexico looked comically weak in the back. At least the Dos Santos dude was fun to watch.

Hard to think of anyone in the NFL who has anything near the athletic talent of someone like Messi.
numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 12:40 PM   #11
numbskull

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshCappa View Post
Dude don't even go there.

Enjoy your sport, it's pretty good to watch and I do like the rival countries playing eachother. But don't try and argue the toughness thing, it's not even comparable.
And Rugby players ridicule how soft the NFL is.

Soccer reflects life, the NFL reflects battle (with a lot of padding, time to rest, and all kinds of rules).
Old 06-12-2010, 12:44 PM   #12
boot man

Love to watch both sports. Never really feel the need to bash what others like, other than criminal behavior or inattentive indifferent parents.

Go USA!
boot man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 01:20 PM   #13
mosholu
Mosholu

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshCappa View Post
Dude don't even go there. Some of my friends in high school openly admitted they played soccer because they were afraid of getting hit in football. Completely different game so you can't even say soccer players are tougher than football players. I'll give them the stamina thing cuz the game keeps moving but take a look off the ball and they stand around or jog. They would pee their pants if they had to line up for a play in the NFL or they would do what they do best and fake an injury to stop play.

Was not trying to argue a toughness point because it is kind of apples and oranges. My point was that I think the human aspect of sport is getting a little lost in football with all the specialization and coaching. The fact that the average NFL career is less than six years says it all about the toughness required and the damage taken. I would be interested to know which you think would be tougher NFL or NHL?
On the rugby point I think any NFL linebacker or DB would be an awesome force on a rugby field and I generally would say you get more speed, skill and size in the LBs and DBs than what you have in international rugby.

Numbskull - I think the commentators have been told to keep talking for the benefit of the US audience on the assumption that they are new to football. I totally agree on the horns if they were sitting around you it would drive you mad.
Old 06-12-2010, 02:43 PM   #14
MarshCappa
Marcia! Marcia! Marcia!

The NHL is probably the toughest league or hockey in general could be the toughest sport. To tough to call for me. Rugby is also a madman's gams. I played a little rugby in college club leagues and was really impressed how much toughness and stamina you needed. Rugby players are an insane bunch for sure. I loved the after party's! Keg stands anyone?

1-1 against England at the half. Cheese goal for the U.S. Good match so far. I'm watching and will continue to watch. Sorry if I was a little heavy handed and got carried away on the whole toughness thing. You're right it's apples and oranges. Different game, rules, etc. These guys are world class for sure.

"Sunshine Day Dream"
Old 06-12-2010, 03:53 PM   #15
mosholu
Mosholu

No offense taken, just having some fun shooting the breeze.
USA was gifted that goal at the end of the first half but in the second I thought did a great job shutting England down and had the better of the play. Dempsey and the fullback no. 6 had great games. If your English you have to be worried about their lack of speed in defense. If your the US everything looks good except maybe the strikers who did not really produce much. I think the US will go through.
I would have to give the edge to the NHL just based upon the number of games they play in a season counting the playoffs that is a lot of punishment.
Old 06-12-2010, 04:40 PM   #16
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

those friggin horns make it feel like watching it in a bee hive. Still can't seem to get into it, I tried for a few minutes and I fell asleep but that was what I was trying to do. I'll try again .

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 08:34 PM   #17
numbskull

England looked awful. Their failure to rally around their keeper after that horrible gaffe suggests they lack the team unity to win this thing.
Their lack of a defensive midfield player looked like a major coaching error during our comeback.

The US looked promising when behind, but their decision to sit in and play not to lose in the second half was discouraging. This game was winnable. Our defense was more lucky than good. Some good individual play, but with sloppy organization that left horrific central gaps which England fortunately failed to exploit. Offensively we show a lot of promise. Too bad Davies is gone, and Torres is sitting.

As nice as this tie feels, we will still likely need at least a win and a draw in the remaining games to advance. Not a done deal since we often struggle to beat teams we should crush, and sloppy defense often yields cheap goals that could burn us yet.
Old 06-12-2010, 09:53 PM   #18
Karl F

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbskull View Post
England looked awful. Their failure to rally around their keeper after that horrible gaffe suggests they lack the team unity to win this thing.
Their lack of a defensive midfield player looked like a major coaching error during our comeback.

The US looked promising when behind, but their decision to sit in and play not to lose in the second half was discouraging. This game was winnable. Our defense was more lucky than good. Some good individual play, but with sloppy organization that left horrific central gaps which England fortunately failed to exploit. Offensively we show a lot of promise. Too bad Davies is gone, and Torres is sitting.

As nice as this tie feels, we will still likely need at least a win and a draw in the remaining games to advance. Not a done deal since we often struggle to beat teams we should crush, and sloppy defense often yields cheap goals that could burn us yet.
spot on analysis... you should be doing the booth work for the games instead of the drivel that ABC fed us. you know the game for certain.

the vuvuzela (fans horns)...is annoying.. but part of soccer worldwide, and is even showing up in US play, I have noticed of late.
Karl F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 09:55 PM   #19
Karl F

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorM View Post
those friggin horns make it feel like watching it in a bee hive. Still can't seem to get into it, I tried for a few minutes and I fell asleep but that was what I was trying to do. I'll try again .
Paul!!..just imagine what fun that Frank would have with the vuvuzela's...
Karl F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 12:05 PM   #20
Clogston29
xxx

England just isn't elite. Neither is the us. England has some better players, but neither team is a real contender in this thing. both teams will likely advance and maybe win one elimination game.

I am a fan of England and would like to see them do well. It amazes me that they cannot produce a world class keeper or a compliment to Rooney up front. They win that game easy yesterday if Rooney had someone to work with up front. Kraus has no business in the world cup. If the outside midfielders are gonna play like that, give Joe Cole a shot. It was nice to see write-Phillips get in there.
Old 06-13-2010, 12:15 PM   #21
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl F View Post
Paul!!..just imagine what fun that Frank would have with the vuvuzela's...

LOL.

if am too watch this stuff i am going to have to turn down the sound. That relentless noise is worse than what I hear at work.

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 01:01 PM   #22
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

Send a message via Skype™ to PRBuzz
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorM View Post
BOSE (or other brand) background noise reducing headphones.....if they can block out a jet engine they should work wonders for the bee hive.

From BUZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Given the diversity of the human species, there is no “normal” human genome sequence. We are all mutants.
PRBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 01:10 PM   #23
Clogston29
xxx

Fifa president is considering banning the horns for rest of cup
Old 06-13-2010, 02:11 PM   #24
Clogston29
xxx

Very precise, entertaining play from Germany.
Old 06-13-2010, 03:32 PM   #25
numbskull

Ouch! We don't want to meet Germany in the next round. That was a good team hitting on all cylinders. Scary. We are going to need to score some serious goals and win both of the next games to finish first in our group.
Old 06-13-2010, 04:44 PM   #26
cableguy

Germany was excellent today....they are going to be tough if they continue that level of play.....I thought the US could have won that game, a gift of a goal, but I felt they had some decent chances...

The horns have to go....it is killing the feel of world play...I want to hear chants and singing.....not buzzing the whole game
cableguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 09:25 PM   #27
Clogston29
xxx

Argentina offense is fun to watch. Messi is really finding is form. Have I mentioned that I love tevez. Defense is a bit shady.

I think Spain will bounce back. They looked better when Torres was subed in. give him a game or two to get back into it - been hurt a while.

Germany Brazil Argentina Spain look to be the class to me. Uruguay could surprise as well. Uruguay. Mexico should be a good one. I don't trust the Dutch.
Old 06-17-2010, 10:15 PM   #28
luds
Night Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clogston29 View Post
I don't trust the Dutch.
why....roids again?

luds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 05:25 AM   #29