Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 09-08-2021, 07:07 AM   #61
wdmso

[QUOTE=Jim in CT;1213756]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post

cops unjustly using force always bothers me. we agree on that. blacks murdered by other blacks in gang violence also bothers me, but not you. That’s the difference. show me a post where you decry urban violence in america, which literally takes thousands of times as many lives as white cops. but the left spends all their time talking about cops.

i addressed your question head in. can you show me the same courtesy?

what was their plan, exactly, to overthrow the government? it makes zero sense, there’s zero evidence that was their goal.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Here we go with black on black-violence nonsense . it is a problem
But in an entirely different category then Police shooting unarmed black and brown people ..

When that happens all we ever hear is if they just complied they would be alive or do stupid things win stupid prizes…. But when Babbit got shot it was all outrage from the right none of the slogans used when police shoot unarmed blacks
Old 09-08-2021, 07:24 AM   #62
wdmso

This was posted on Parler The @TeamTrumpNews account, posted on the Parler social network, is written as though coming from the president himself. It said: “I have invoked the Insurrection Act of 1807, to address the treasonous rebellion conducted by Democrat & Republican lawmakers, CCP agents, the FBI, DOJ, CIA & others to undermine, corrode and dismantle the United States of America and its constitution. These entities pose a direct threat to national security. I will remain president indefinitely until all domestic enemies are arrested.”

MAGA figures like Sidney Powell and Lin Wood, two prominent pro-Trump attorneys leading efforts to overturn the 2020 election, and even one North Carolina state lawmaker. Others like Michael Flynn, Trump’s first national security adviser who was recently pardoned for lying to the FBI, have made adjacent calls for Trump to impose martial law. The ideas have circulated in pro-Trump outlets and were being discussed over the weekend among the thousands of MAGA protesters who descended on state capitols and the Supreme Court to falsely claim Trump had won the election.

Michael Flynn suggested at a QAnon-affiliated event that a coup should happen in the U.S.

so a crowd gathered at the request of the POTUS a who refused to admit he lost the election lied about the reasons he lost , with bear gas poles rods stun guns zip ties pipes but the right suggest they we’re unarmed and had no plan ?

But Antifa shows up with Trash can lids umbrellas and fireworks dressed in black and BLM protest have missed spelled signs but are black and the Right call them armed and dangerous ? Ron Johnson says he might have been concerned for safety had Capitol rioters been BLM and Antifa

You can’t make this stuff up.
Old 09-08-2021, 07:53 AM   #63
Jim in CT

Quote:
This was posted on Parler The @TeamTrumpNews account, posted on the Parler social network, is written as though coming from the president himself. It said: “I have invoked the Insurrection Act of 1807, to address the treasonous rebellion conducted by Democrat & Republican lawmakers, CCP agents, the FBI, DOJ, CIA & others to undermine, corrode and dismantle the United States of America and its constitution. These entities pose a direct threat to national security. I will remain president indefinitely until all domestic enemies are arrested.”

MAGA figures like Sidney Powell and Lin Wood, two prominent pro-Trump attorneys leading efforts to overturn the 2020 election, and even one North Carolina state lawmaker. Others like Michael Flynn, Trump’s first national security adviser who was recently pardoned for lying to the FBI, have made adjacent calls for Trump to impose martial law. The ideas have circulated in pro-Trump outlets and were being discussed over the weekend among the thousands of MAGA protesters who descended on state capitols and the Supreme Court to falsely claim Trump had won the election.

Michael Flynn suggested at a QAnon-affiliated event that a coup should happen in the U.S.

so a crowd gathered at the request of the POTUS a who refused to admit he lost the election lied about the reasons he lost , with bear gas poles rods stun guns zip ties pipes but the right suggest they we’re unarmed and had no plan ?

But Antifa shows up with Trash can lids umbrellas and fireworks dressed in black and BLM protest have missed spelled signs but are black and the Right call them armed and dangerous ? Ron Johnson says he might have been concerned for safety had Capitol rioters been BLM and Antifa

You can’t make this stuff up.
You guys go on, and on, and on...about how crazy it is that people deny they had a plan...but you never utter a syllable about what the plan was. Never one syllable.

"BLM protest have missed spelled signs"

That's it? Just mis-spelled signs? BLM protests never involved violence, looting, murder, arson, property damage...just mis-spelled signs.

If you want to be taken just a little seriously, you have to be a little more honest than that.

David Dorn was a 77 year-old, black, retired police captain who was murdered during BLM protests in ST Louis.

Here's an article from those right-wing nuts at CNN. In this one night of one protest, the Trumplicans at CNN say that 55 businesses were robbed and had property damage. They did all that, just by waving mis-spelled signs?

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/08/us/st...orn/index.html

Then there's the famous CNN report of "mostly peaceful" protests while fires raged in the video...did they start those fires just by gently waving their signs?

https://thehill.com/homenews/media/5...deo-of-burning.

Heres the BLM protesters who burned a Wendys to the ground (not that Wendys did anything to them, of course...) The article doesn't say how they did that with nothing but mis-spelled signs.

https://www.the-sun.com/news/1081126...ters-arrested/

It's just not possible to talk to you guys.
Old 09-08-2021, 08:16 AM   #64
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

They were Assault signs on illegal Bump Sticks. I think they used High Capacity paint sprayers when they made them too.
Old 09-08-2021, 08:24 AM   #65
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
They were Assault signs on illegal Bump Sticks. I think they used High Capacity paint sprayers when they made them too.
that’s funny right there!

all those riots this summer, the worst thing he says anyone did, was to be in possession of signs with words spelled incorrectly. that was the most serious offense committed by any BLM protester that summer.

This is why i took a sabbatical from this forum, i’ll get back to that sabbatical, there’s just no point unless it’s rock hound.

TDF, hope you are well. My middle guy started boy scouts this year, he did a weeklong summer camp at a scout camp in CT and he absolutely loved it, came back dirty, exhausted, and confident, made a a lot of progress on his merit badges, including fishing.
Old 09-08-2021, 08:30 AM   #66
Pete F.
Canceled

First, the attack on the Capitol was unmistakably an act of political violence, not merely an exercise in vandalism or trespassing amid a disorderly protest that had spiraled out of control. The overwhelming reason for action, cited again and again in court documents, was that arrestees were following Trump’s orders to keep Congress from certifying Joe Biden as the presidential-election winner. Dozens of arrestees, court records indicate, made statements explaining their intentions in detail on social media or in interviews with the FBI. “I am incredibly proud to be a patriot today,” wrote a 37-year-old man from Beverly Hills, California, “to stand up tall in defense of liberty & the Constitution, to support Trump & #MAGAforever, & to send the message: WE ARE NEVER CONCEDING A STOLEN ELECTION.”

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 09-08-2021, 08:32 AM   #67
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
You guys go on, and on, and on...about how crazy it is that people deny they had a plan...but you never utter a syllable about what the plan was. Never one syllable.
The plan was to interrupt the certification in congress and continue to push the state lawsuits to throw the election results into jeopardy. It never really had a chance of working but you can't say they didn't try like hell. The message to the insurrectionists was simple, stop the steal.
Old 09-08-2021, 08:38 AM   #68
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:

"BLM protest have missed spelled signs"

That's it? Just mis-spelled signs? BLM protests never involved violence, looting, murder, arson, property damage...just mis-spelled signs.

If you want to be taken just a little seriously, you have to be a little more honest than that.

David Dorn was a 77 year-old, black, retired police captain who was murdered during BLM protests in ST Louis.

Here's an article from those right-wing nuts at CNN. In this one night of one protest, the Trumplicans at CNN say that 55 businesses were robbed and had property damage. They did all that, just by waving mis-spelled signs?

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/08/us/st...orn/index.html

Then there's the famous CNN report of "mostly peaceful" protests while fires raged in the video...did they start those fires just by gently waving their signs?

https://thehill.com/homenews/media/5...deo-of-burning.

Heres the BLM protesters who burned a Wendys to the ground (not that Wendys did anything to them, of course...) The article doesn't say how they did that with nothing but mis-spelled signs.

https://www.the-sun.com/news/1081126...ters-arrested/

It's just not possible to talk to you guys.
When the Department of Homeland Security released its Homeland Threat Assessment earlier this month, it emphasized that self-proclaimed white supremacist groups are the most dangerous threat to U.S. security. But the report misleadingly added that there had been “over 100 days of violence and destruction in our cities,” referring to the anti-racism uprisings of this past summer.

In fact, the Black Lives Matter uprisings were remarkably nonviolent. When there was violence, very often police or counterprotesters were reportedly directing it at the protesters.

Since 2017, we have been collecting data on political crowds in the United States, including the protests that surged during the summer. We have almost finished collecting data from May to June, having already documented 7,305 events in thousands of towns and cities in all 50 states and D.C., involving millions of attendees.

Because most of the missing data are from small towns and cities, we do not expect the overall proportions to change significantly once we complete the data collection.

We make two assumptions. First, when politicians and officials categorize the protests as violent, they are usually envisioning property destruction or interpersonal violence in which they infer that BLM protesters are attacking police, bystanders and property.

Second, using several measures to evaluate protest behavior offers a better assessment than the blanket term “violence.” For example, we disaggregate property destruction from interpersonal violence. We analyze separately the number of injuries or deaths among protesters and police. And we are thinking about how gathering even finer-grained data in the future could help further assign precise responsibility for violent acts.

Here is what we have found based on the 7,305 events we’ve collected. The overall levels of violence and property destruction were low, and most of the violence that did take place was, in fact, directed against the BLM protesters.

First, police made arrests in 5% of the protest events, with over 8,500 reported arrests (or possibly more). Police used tear gas or related chemical substances in 2.5% of these events.

Protesters or bystanders were reported injured in 1.6 percent of the protests. In total, at least three Black Lives Matter protesters and one other person were killed while protesting in Omaha, Austin and Kenosha, Wis. One anti-fascist protester killed a far-right group member during a confrontation in Portland, Ore.; law enforcement killed the alleged assailant several days later.

Police were reported injured in 1% of the protests. A law enforcement officer killed in California was allegedly shot by supporters of the far-right “boogaloo” movement, not anti-racism protesters.

The killings in the line of duty of other law enforcement officers during this period were not related to the protests.

Only 3.7% of the protests involved property damage or vandalism. Some portion of these involved neither police nor protesters, but people engaging in vandalism or looting alongside the protests.

In short, our data suggest that 96.3% of events involved no property damage or police injuries, and in 97.7% of events, no injuries were reported among participants, bystanders or police.

These figures should correct the narrative that the protests were overtaken by rioting and vandalism or violence.

Such claims are false. Incidents in which there was protester violence or property destruction should be regarded as exceptional – and not representative of the uprising as a whole.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Lets Go Darwin
Old 09-08-2021, 08:49 AM   #69
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
The plan was to interrupt the certification in congress and continue to push the state lawsuits to throw the election results into jeopardy. It never really had a chance of working but you can't say they didn't try like hell. The message to the insurrectionists was simple, stop the steal.
and the evidence that this group of dummies had previously formulated that plan, is…???

Was the guy in the Chewbacca hat the leader?

Spence, remember a few years ago i. Wisconsin, Gov scott walker was about to sign union-busting legislation, and the lefties stormed the state capital? Were they insurrectionists? Or is there some logic by which it’s only a capital offense when conservatives do it?

Or The democrats in the TX state legislature who fled the state soecifically to hijack the democratic process that the voters freely chose, how do you describe them? you’d compliment them.

your aversion to those who interfere with the democratic process ( fair to say the Jan 6 rioters were attempting that) is quite selective. Which means it’s fake.
Old 09-08-2021, 10:16 AM   #70
Pete F.
Canceled

We'll see

House Select Committee intends to subpoena records from social media companies, telecom companies (and possibly banks) under the The Patriot Act.

Lets Go Darwin
Old 09-08-2021, 11:29 AM   #71
wdmso

Jim you still can’t separate a BLM protest from a Riot you talk as if they are one in the same . And this country has see civil unrest long before BLM protest turned violent. but we never saw a storming of the capital at the direction of the POTUS a to stop the certification of the election . You have made your position clear BLM and Antifa are a bigger threat to American then those who supported and stormed the capital on Jan 6th

So we’re the capital riots armed and dangerous ? Or not Because that’s my point you and others claim they weren’t

But we have the Truth problem ?
Old 09-08-2021, 11:39 AM   #72
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT;1213791

Spence, remember a few years ago i. Wisconsin, Gov scott walker was about to sign union-busting legislation, and the lefties stormed the state capital? Were they insurrectionists? Or is there some logic by which it’s only a capital offense when conservatives do it?

Or The democrats in the TX state legislature who fled the state soecifically to hijack the democratic process that the voters freely chose, how do you describe them? you’d compliment them.

[size=1
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device[/size]
Some are comparing the U.S. Capitol riot to Wisconsin's Act 10 protests in 2011. Here are the key differences.

Wisconsin's Act 10 protests were overwhelmingly peaceful.

One top Republican official at the time noted there was no "malicious damage" to the statehouse and said most of the costs linked to the weeks-long protests were due to law enforcement overtime bills.

Thousands of people crowded inside the building every day, hanging posters on the walls and camping out in the rotunda and hallways.

Jan 6th A 70-year-old Alabama man had 11 Molotov cocktail devices "ready to go" in his truck when he was arrested during the breach and riot at the U.S. Capitol on Wednesday, the Montgomery Advertiser reported.

Jim your false equivalence just don’t stand up to a single google search but conservatives pushed that narrative from day one

https://www.jsonline.com/story/news/...ge/6584619002/
Old 09-08-2021, 11:58 AM   #73
spence

Quote:
and the evidence that this group of dummies had previously formulated that plan, is…???
It was the Trump cabal's plan obviously. The insurrectionists were just following Trump's lead.

Quote:
I remember that being a huge protest event but I don't recall any violence.

Quote:
Political gamesmanship.

Quote:
your aversion to those who interfere with the democratic process ( fair to say the Jan 6 rioters were attempting that) is quite selective. Which means it’s fake.
But your addiction to false equivalences is very real.
Old 09-08-2021, 12:32 PM   #74
Jim in CT

Quote:
It was the Trump cabal's plan obviously. The insurrectionists were just following Trump's lead.

Political gamesmanship.

so i guess that message was encoded in trump’s words, to be peaceful and patriotic.
Old 09-08-2021, 12:34 PM   #75
Jim in CT

Quote:

Political gamesmanship.

do you recall any violence last summer at BLM protests? trying to burn down a police station? is that an act of terrorism?
Old 09-08-2021, 12:38 PM   #76
Jim in CT

Quote:
Jim you still can’t separate a BLM protest from a Riot you talk as if they are one in the same . And this country has see civil unrest long before BLM protest turned violent. but we never saw a storming of the capital at the direction of the POTUS a to stop the certification of the election . You have made your position clear BLM and Antifa are a bigger threat to American then those who supported and stormed the capital on Jan 6th

So we’re the capital riots armed and dangerous ? Or not Because that’s my point you and others claim they weren’t

But we have the Truth problem ?
you said the worst BLM did was have incorrect spelling on signs. I will never live long enough to say something that stupid or demonstrably false. your credibility is zilch.
Old 09-08-2021, 01:25 PM   #77
Pete F.
Canceled

No plan
No radios
No coordination
No weapons
No bombs
No objective

Lets Go Darwin
Old 09-08-2021, 01:26 PM   #78
Pete F.
Canceled

Tourists visiting

Lets Go Darwin
Old 09-08-2021, 01:46 PM   #79
wdmso

Quote:
you said the worst BLM did was have incorrect spelling on signs. I will never live long enough to say something that stupid or demonstrably false. your credibility is zilch.
You have no concept of sarcasm!!
Yet once again you conflate BLM protesters and Rioters as some how organized . To do both

You already said a stupid demonstrably false statement

The Jan6 rioters were just cry babies. Or something to that effect
Old 09-08-2021, 03:20 PM   #80
spence

Quote:
do you recall any violence last summer at BLM protests? trying to burn down a police station? is that an act of terrorism?
I remember an incident where a few protesters lit some stuff in a barrel on fire in front of a police station. It's arson and illegal, no issue prosecuting them but it's not terrorism.

BLM violence came in many forms, overly aggressive police, white nationalists trying to clash, anarchists, some protesters certainly. I've been in two "riots" in my life and I can say when you have that many people milling about strange shyt happens. Was tear gassed both times

Still, nothing like Jan 6.
Old 09-08-2021, 05:17 PM   #81
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
I've been in two "riots" in my life and I can say when you have that many people milling about strange shyt happens. Was tear gassed both times
I know Filene’s Basements annual bridal sale can get a bit ugly, Dem Bitches Be Crazy, but you’re really going to classify it as a riot.

The tear gas was probably just over spray from the lady at the perfume counter.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 09-11-2021, 03:39 PM   #82
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
I know Filene’s Basements annual bridal sale can get a bit ugly, Dem Bitches Be Crazy, but you’re really going to classify it as a riot.

The tear gas was probably just over spray from the lady at the perfume counter.
A for effort.
Old 09-11-2021, 04:38 PM   #83
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
Captain obvious isn’t Jim, use bigger font and maybe pictures of pretty colors to get him focused.
Old 09-11-2021, 07:36 PM   #84
detbuch

Quote:
"Interrupting" the certification in Congress is not an insurrection. It is not a revolt against an established government. The established government at the time was the Trump administration. The Biden administration was not yet established. There was no attempt to overthrow the Trump administration. No attempt or plan to overthrow the constitutional system of government, but, instead, somehow to preserve it from being "stolen." Nor were the rioters a single organized group with a coherent unitary plan on how to revolt against the established government. Nor were the vast majority of disparate rioters armed.

From Merriam Webster:
Insurrection--an act or instance of revolting against civil authority or an established government . . . When is uprising a more appropriate choice than insurrection? The meanings of uprising and insurrection largely overlap; however, uprising implies a brief, limited, and often immediately ineffective rebellion . . . REVOLT and INSURRECTION imply an armed uprising that quickly fails or succeeds.

From Dictionary.com (British): the act or an instance of rebelling against a government in power or the civil authorities.
Old 09-12-2021, 07:45 AM   #85
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
"Interrupting" the certification in Congress is not an insurrection. It is not a revolt against an established government. The established government at the time was the Trump administration. The Biden administration was not yet established. There was no attempt to overthrow the Trump administration. No attempt or plan to overthrow the constitutional system of government, but, instead, somehow to preserve it from being "stolen." Nor were the rioters a single organized group with a coherent unitary plan on how to revolt against the established government. Nor were the vast majority of disparate rioters armed.

From Merriam Webster:
Insurrection--an act or instance of revolting against civil authority or an established government . . . When is uprising a more appropriate choice than insurrection? The meanings of uprising and insurrection largely overlap; however, uprising implies a brief, limited, and often immediately ineffective rebellion . . . REVOLT and INSURRECTION imply an armed uprising that quickly fails or succeeds.

From Dictionary.com (British): the act or an instance of rebelling against a government in power or the civil authorities.
Seems your trying to use some linguistic gymnastics to cloud what American saw on TV Jan 6..

They were some how Trying to preserve it!

Definition of preserve (Entry 1 of 2)
transitive verb
1 : to keep safe from injury, harm, or destruction : PROTECT
2a : to keep alive, intact, or free from decay

Via insurrection because they lost at the ballot box .. don’t be mistaken their actions had nothing to do with the love of American or the constitution.. it was for the love of Trump

Essential Meaning of insurrection
: a usually violent attempt to take control of a government
He led an armed insurrection [=rebellion, uprising] against the elected government.

Even Webster sees rebellion and uprising has the same meaning

And seeing you put Armed in Bold your suggestion they weren’t?

Webster Definition of armed (Entry 1 of 2)
1a : furnished with weapons

Definition of weapon (Entry 1 of 2)
1 : something (such as a club, knife, or gun) used to injure, defeat, or destroy
Old 09-12-2021, 09:00 AM   #86
scottw

Quote:

And seeing you put Armed in Bold your suggestion they weren’t?

definitely....."armed" robbery typically refers to robbery with guns...no?

an "armed" suspect typically means a suspect with a gun....no?

an well "armed" militia...is not referring to clubs and knives

suggesting that this was an armed insurrection intended to overthrow the US government is a little ridiculous but keep up the good work
Old 09-12-2021, 10:59 AM   #87
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
definitely....."armed" robbery typically refers to robbery with guns...no?

an well "armed" militia...is not referring to clubs and knives

suggesting that this was an armed insurrection intended to overthrow the US government is a little ridiculous but keep up the good work
Well, at least you got it all wrong.
Old 09-12-2021, 11:47 AM   #88
scottw

Quote:
Well, at least you got it all wrong.
4 for 4 ...those cellphones are deadly weapons in the wrong hands...especially when used for cellassination attempts
Old 09-12-2021, 01:31 PM   #89
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post

Wow did you seriously type and believe that, go rob a convenience store with your hunting knife and see what they charge you with, pretty sure you will be described as doing so armed with a dangerous weapon. Only someone desperately trying to make that narrative work would suggest many of these individuals were not armed if they were attempting bodily harm or death on those they beat on because they didn’t do it with a gun.
Old 09-12-2021, 02:33 PM   #90
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
Wow did you seriously type and believe that, go rob a convenience store with your hunting knife and see what they charge you with, pretty sure you will be described as doing so armed with a dangerous weapon. Only someone desperately trying to make that narrative work would suggest many of these individuals were not armed if they were attempting bodily harm or death on those they beat on because they didn’t do it with a gun.
“Typically”

When I hear or read “armed” robber or suspect I think gun….google armed robber or armed suspect and see how many instances of robberies or crimes with clubs and knives pop up

Did they confiscate many knives at the armed insurrection?