Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Sportsman's Talk

Sportsman's Talk New forum for other outdoor sports. Hunting, shooting, archery, and everything else that has you crawling around with the bugs...

Old 06-09-2006, 09:38 AM   #1
crash
Professional dumba$$

Hunting gear

Where does everybody get there hunting gear? Any local stores in Mass or RI? Right now I'm using mail order with an occasional trip to Kittery trading post. Nobody local seems to have a good selection of waterfowl loads, decoys, calls etc. I would rather spend my money locally if possible.
Thanks
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 09:38 PM   #2
CANAL RAT
EVERY FISH COUNTS!!

i get my stuff from baymen outfitters in duxbury. heres there web site

www.baymenoutfitters.com

or you could go to M&M's in plymouth

todays schoolie is tomorrows keeper,todays keeper is tomorrows cow,practice catch and release!!!.

GOD BLESS THE NRA!!!!

ROCK AND ROLL WILL NEVER DIE!!!!!
CANAL RAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 11:15 AM   #3
MAC

Years back there was Tight Lines in West Bridgewater but they are long gone. Buying quality hunting clothes is getting harder and harder around these parts. There is word of a Cabela's and Bass Pro Shops coming to our area but who knows when. My guess is use a mail order catalog like Beans or Cabela's. Good luck with your search.
MAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 08:30 AM   #4
keeperreaper
Spot Preserver

Cabela's. I make a pilgrimage down to PA for a weekend. Everything you can think of at that place.

Make America Great Again.
keeperreaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 10:28 AM   #5
crash
Professional dumba$$

I just wish there was a local place(not a big box). Capt. Dave at baymens is pricy (but service is good). Kittery trading post does not cater to waterfowlers, but has awesome deer gear, and #^&#^&#^&#^&s is useless, except for the post season clearence, and mail order is ok if you know what you want, but I need a parka for duck hunting and want to see it first. I have a feeling that I'm driving to Cabelas. Anybody else hunt ducks around here? I hunt puddlers mostly but have gone after sea ducks late season. I also (attemt to) hunt deer but no luck after my first season.
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 08:43 PM   #6
maddog2020

I use to hunt sea ducks in late Jan - grand ol' time ..... getting ice built up on your gear and wader .... lol. Wouldn't have traded it for anything since it was some alone time w/ my Dad growing up. Over the yrs he didn't and his friend don't want to go any more and they rather sleep in now that they are both retired.

I use to buy my gear from Lew Hortons in Framingham when they use to do retail. Only place close to me is Natick Outdoor Store, but they don't cater to duck hunters at all (nice selection of Benelli shotguns...lol) . I don't know of any good place local that carried decent hunting gear. When I was a bit younger and single, I would drive up to LL Bean at 11pm and shop for a couple of hrs and then drive back home to take a shower and head into work before 6 am. LLB has some outlet stores spread around in southern/central NH and at Freeport - usually plenty of misc. outdoor gear.

I hate buying clothes since I am shaped funny - more often than not it just doesn't fit so I rather not deal w/ hassel of sending it back. If it is on clearance/sale sometimes I buy two sizes and return the one that doesn't fit. Cabelas has a good selection of clothes & boots. Both LLBean & Cabelas stand behind what they sell so if you breaks or wears out prematurely they will replace it or refund $.

KTP doesn't carry the selection they use to over the past few yrs. I have noticed they cater to women & kids (huge selection of stuff for them not to buy now - no tire kickers there: hard core shoppers).

Ray 'md2020'
maddog2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 09:22 PM   #7
CANAL RAT
EVERY FISH COUNTS!!

also try your local #^&#^&#^&#^&s sporting goods. i know you want to stay with small stores but hunting gear is getting harder to find in these parts.

todays schoolie is tomorrows keeper,todays keeper is tomorrows cow,practice catch and release!!!.

GOD BLESS THE NRA!!!!

ROCK AND ROLL WILL NEVER DIE!!!!!
CANAL RAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 10:05 PM   #8
Bigcat

I used to get all my gear from Tight Lines and Hortons, but they are long gone.
Roches in Cambridge I don't know if they are still open?
I just picked up a vest in #^&#^&#^&#^&s,and I will tell you it was a major pain just trying to find one.
It is getting harder and harder to find hunting gear.

Fly & Light Tackle Fishing
Bigcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 06:14 AM   #9
Goose

Mostly Trader Jans and Reedy's but if your lookin for the best savings look at http://www.natchezss.com/....stands, boots too
Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 02:41 PM   #10
maddog2020

Roaches is still there next to the US Post Office. Not the place it was 20 yrs ago. They sell a lot of clothes for commutors now. I popped in there last yr to say hello. Some familiar faces - all of us are a little gray now.

Dunno if you knew Russell or not (asian guy - friend of the family who owns/runs Roaches), but he passed away few yrs ago. Found out from Steve V. who I knew as a kid when I use to go to Bob Smiths when it was on Franklin St in Boston. He was a rep for big outdoor company - bumped into him at Spags several yrs ago - recognized his voice.... hadn't seen him in about 20 yrs....lol.

Lew Hortons in Framingham - use to be one of the best outfitter style stores in the area. I use to go there when it was on Rt 135 near the train stop. Great selectio of clothes and firearms. I dunno if you knew Billy or not, but he is on the other board as "worcboy" - looks the same, a little heavier, but aren't we all.

Most of my outdoor gear is pretty ancient and I haven't purchased any firearms for hunting in well over a decade. Hunting is a dying past time unfortunately. Small specialized archery stores exhist - haven't been into that for about a decade now ... lol.

Lebanon Sports in Lebanon CT - off Rt 2 was a great little place. I think they are gone now. I haven't been down that way to deer hunt in almost 4 yrs now. Opening day for ducks my college buddy and I and a couple of other guys would get together no matter what! Did that for a very long time - sort of got out of it the past 4 or so yrs. All of us started to have kids and you know how that goes.

Like I had said before - it's been mail order for specialized hunting gear or I pop into LL Bean or Kittery TP when I am up that way and browse around. Some time I order two sizes and hope one will work. Gets to be a nuisance to send it back and stuff for credit.

If you find a good local hunting store let us know.

Ray 'md2020'
Old 10-21-2006, 05:10 PM   #11
Bigcat

Roaches, the last time I was in there early 70's Tom was the owner and a guy named Bill, I think they were brothers?
I bought a few guns from them,and stoped doing buisness with them when I asked to look at a new O/U Browining and Bill said I could not afford it.
Well I laid into him and he changed his tune ,I told him to stuff it and walked.

Fly & Light Tackle Fishing
Bigcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 05:46 PM   #12
maddog2020

LOL, Bill was a little off for sure - wasn't always able to get the shotguns back together after he took them apart. Tom was a bit gruff at times for sure. I started going in there in the later 70s when I was able to venture on the 'T' from Boston or ride our bicycles up there. You remember Lechmere's? They use to be good a good store for all kinds of stuff. Mickey Finn's on WA St. in Boston use to have good fishing gear as well.....lol. Stoddard's up the street (more flyfishing based)- Ed H there worked there forever until he retired.

I drove past Roaches yesterday - they had chain gate down the front so it must have been closed. Still there.... will have to pop in some time. Parking is a nuisance there on weekdays.

Ray 'md2020'