Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 02-25-2009, 02:11 PM   #1
ecduzitgood
time to go

How I got here

I thought perhaps I should present the steps and thought process I went through when building my plug. So here goes.......

I loved fishing live herring at the herring run at the Cape Cod canal. Has many of you who fish that area know you are no longer allowed to catch herring for bait in fact you cannot even have a herring(alewife) in your possession. During the last 5 years I have wanted to find a plug that closely resembles a herring. So I went about making a plug......

My intention for this plug was to cast it to breaking fish in hopes that during the comotion the fish would mistaken my plug for an injured bait. This plug never did work so after fishing it several times I ritired it and thought about how to do it right/better. I had a cotton cordell big O back in the eighties that I threw at some shadows I saw in the marina knowing they were probably bass....wham they were; the only problem was I was using a small fresh water outfit I used to gather bait for tuna fishing this had eight pound test on it that had not been changed in years (it was only for small bait). So now the big O was gone. This came back to mind after the failure of my first attempt and I set out to do it again although this time I had access to the internet after seeing some of the techniques being used (for paint primarily) and getting an airbrush I started my current plug. I just wanted a plug that really looked like a herring and in particular the head (thinking bass hit head first so they must key in on the eye). I know there are plenty of plugs that don't have eye's and rely upon action but I was looking for simulating the bait. I had no intentions of the plug having any action thus no lip. I also did not like the way hooks dug into the finish on my other plugs so I installed a rare earth magnet to hold the belly hook during the cast. I was concerned about the magnet being sensed by the fish but had to find out if this was a good or bad idea. This is what I ended up with.....

After dressing it I noticed the rear hook could still cause damage so I tried a little hot glue to stop the rear hook from reaching the plug (it wasn't pretty has MikeCC can attest as after my first test at the canal I stopped by Cape Cod Tackle to get some supplies to build another). When I got to the canal I tied my plug on and dropped it in the water and was dissapointed to see it sink slowly. I wanted to cast it to breaking fish and have it stay on top. I cast the plug out to see if it would atleast sit well in the water and use the rod to impart any action. When I retreived the plug I was pleasantly surprized to see it actually does have a slow swiming type action which made me feel better about it sinking. I did not consider the weight of the etex and hooks when testing the plug during the build in a bucket of water. I contnued to fish the plug even though I saw no fish and then to my delight I caught a striper 24". I took a picture with my cellphone and if I can figure out how to get the picture onto my computer I will post it. One other thing I learned is I should have taken pictures during the build to refer to when building another. I can post pictures of my build on the next version which I have also implanted a rattle along with the magnet. As far as the paint job it took at least 10 attempts to get the desired effect on the first one and over all probably about 10 hours hands on time over several days (weeks actually; when I could spare the time). I have the next one ready for it's final paint steps when the weather warms.

One change I made is moving the belly hook foward (so the trebble hooks are where the fins would be). I also take the third(soldered) hook off of the trebble so there are just the two hooks riding on either side of the plug (like fins). For thoose of you that got to see the plug at the plugfest and voted for it Thank you! I do feel somewhat guilty because I was not going to enter it and just brought it along to show that I too am now addicted to this hobby and just wanted to fit in. I showed it to the man in charge (sorry no name tags) and he said enter it even though it had no hooks and a scratch from the belly hook (from the one fish it caught) and etex missing at the rear from removing the rear hook and hot glue. Where the guilt comes in is after seeing all the amazing work done by others that I consider even nicer than mine and the only difference I felt were possibly the eyes and the paint work on the head. It did take alot of trial and error to get it right and I cannot see the amount of time necessary to complete the plug being feasable for sale; but that was not my intention. The paint steps really aren't all that difficult and as I stated I will post the build to show the steps involved if people would like to see it.
Thanks again, Ed

Last edited by ecduzitgood; 02-25-2009 at 07:51 PM..
ecduzitgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 02:38 PM   #2
ecduzitgood
time to go

I just wanted to add the only reason I think the plug had the ability to swim is possibly from my experience rigging dead mackerel for bluefin tuna. I think overal it is all of my years fishing and watching fish/bait that got me to this point.
Old 02-25-2009, 03:29 PM   #3
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

pretty plug. Nice job

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 04:29 PM   #4
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Thanks for posting that Ed
and you Definately DO fit in
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 06:33 PM   #5
GooGoo Man
Addicted to plugs

I would love to see the complete build of that plug.

I saw it at plugfest & thought it was amazing, nice job
A bunch of great ideas were put in that plug, thats what I call outside the box!
GooGoo Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 09:10 PM   #6
ecduzitgood
time to go

The build

To start this build I start by making an outline of the shape I wanted and using a printer I made two versions one is a mirror image of the first. After spraying a thin coat of adhesive on the wood I place the patern on the wood and then using a scroll saw I cut following the outline of the patern.

Then I use my belt sander and random orbital sander to clean up the cuts and shape the plug.

After using my dremel with a 1/16" straight bit I make the cuts for the through wire to sit and glue both sides using marine grade epoxy clamp and let sit to cure. After a little more sanding it starts to take it final shape.

The next step is drilling for the eyes and magnet. In order for the eyes to line up I drill through with a small bit and then use a forstner bit to make the eye socket.

I sealed it with Minwax wood hardner next (this is my method and others with more experience may have different methods)

After allowing the sealer to dry I epoxy the magnet in place and the weights used to achieve the propper balance by testing how it floats in water.

After sanding the sealer to promote adhesion I then prime with a sandable automotive primer.

After sanding the primer for a smooth finish I apply the base color. (this photo is actually the first/prototype plug. I didn't take a photo of this one)

I also sand this coat to promote adhesion of the next layer/coat of paint (metalic irredescent pearl) and apply the scales using mesh. (after which I seal this layer with a light coat of envirotex in the spray can) and scuff it lightly again to promote adhesion.

The next step is painting the gill plates and mouth by hand. When doing this you will understand my sealing the scales so if I am not happy I can wash the paint off until I get it right.

I also seal this coat so when spraying on the overall color I can wash it off if I'm not happy without having to redo the previous coat. The final color coat is thinned and applied in light coats until I have the right amount of the scales showing through.
I have only gotten to this point and have to wait for the weather to warm in order to finish the paint.
I will see if I can make the eyes in the next day or two and will add that process.

Last edited by ecduzitgood; 02-25-2009 at 10:37 PM.. Reason: should have proof read
Old 02-26-2009, 05:09 AM   #7
Big D

Thumbs up

Great job Ed !!! You did an amazing job on the paint and epoxy. I don,t think you have to worry about how it swims, you throw it in at the run, it will get chewed. Its so pretty, i'd eat it. Also looking forward to seeing your next creation! Pictorial
Big D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 08:24 AM   #8
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master

Good show!
numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 08:45 AM   #9
PNG

Thanks and nice job. Now you got me thinking...

Plugs Rule
PNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 09:25 AM   #10
Striperknight
Plug Paladin

I'm curious to see how you make your eyes.
Striperknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 07:55 PM   #11
saltydog

FANTASTIC PLUG WORK
GOOD LUCK GOOD PLUGGIN

saltydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 08:06 PM   #12
ecduzitgood
time to go

The eyes

Are cat eyes and the ones I have are painted.

The first step is to remove the paint on the back. I use acetone
(PLEASE READ THE WARNINGS ON THE CAN)
and do this outside using paper towel with small amount of
acetone I try not to get it on the front because it wants to
melt the plastic and will cause hazing (will fix). This is what I get.

The next step is to dab small amount on the back
(small is key it will be magnified) of the secondary color
in this case gold. After that I stick the eyes in plumbers
putty front down to protect the front from paint. I then
spray the back with chrome spray can paint.

The one on the left(haze) shows how the eye looks after painting the
one on the right shows the eye after being fixed. Holding the eye
I move heat over it while watching closely so I don't over
heat it don't rush it take your time but keep passing the heat
over it and it will turn crystal clear again.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:46 PM   #13
GooGoo Man
Addicted to plugs

That eye is alive!

Keep it going.
GooGoo Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 12:19 AM   #14
chumbucket

Woww...Great step-by-steps and plug pics.

chumbucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 06:37 PM   #15
ecduzitgood
time to go

Progress

Thanks to the warm weather I was able to get the main color sprayed today. It only took 4 attemps before I was happy and the airbrush did not spit. I have decided to paint the upper portion slightly different this time after looking at hundreds of images of herring,so I sealed this coat. I will scuff it before the upper color, I hope to spray it soon weather permitting. Then install the eyes and top coat with envirotex lite while its on the spinner using heat to eliminate any air bubbles before it sets up(for those of you that can paint in a climate controlled area this should complete the build).

Old 03-08-2009, 07:11 PM   #16
Rockfishroger

Ed ,Thats a great looking lure and those eyes are awsome looking too.Thanks for shareing your tips , tricks and ideas.
Rockfishroger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 05:15 AM   #17
Raven

Question EZ

i thought there was a little layer of red in the back process
which made the eye look bloodshot when tilted...

that was another cat's meow....
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 05:36 AM   #18
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

Your magnet plug was one of the highlights of plugfest for me .. Like your methods . Don't fret over slow sink ,,, slow sink is special ,,plenty of top water plugs .. You get my rusty wheels turning ,, great Job Ed ,,, Ed ..
Tagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 09:59 AM   #19
ecduzitgood
time to go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven View Post
i thought there was a little layer of red in the back process
which made the eye look bloodshot when tilted...

that was another cat's meow....
You are correct on the prototype I used red but I wanted to try gold. And I am not sure I am all that happy with the gold the way they came out but wanted to show how I did them for thoose who wanted to know how so they could make thier own. In the end I may very well go with red but I may also find other colors I like better; it's all part of my learning whats best. It's like the rattle in this one, I will fool with different rattles (different pitch) and may eventually decide against a rattle altogether, I may eliminate the magnet, perhaps make it one piece instead of two, colors,size, weight, etc......so many options so little time.
Old 03-09-2009, 01:48 PM   #20
Tyson Pacheco

nice work!!!!!!
Tyson Pacheco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 02:32 PM   #21
Raven

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecduzitgood View Post
I will fool with different rattles (different pitch) and may eventually decide against a rattle altogether, I may eliminate the magnet, perhaps make it one piece instead of two, colors,size, weight, etc......so many options so little time.
~
let the fish decide... have several choices to be able to change it up
until they tell ya what's the hottest design...
Old 03-09-2009, 02:36 PM   #22
ecduzitgood
time to go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven View Post
~
let the fish decide... have several choices to be able to change it up
until they tell ya what's the hottest design...
Thats the plan. Can't wait till the weather and water warms. Want to have several variations ready to go.
Old 03-09-2009, 09:19 PM   #23
gone fishin

Awsome plug, you have more patience than I. One comment on the floating part. I feel that a floating plug of that type would be counter productive. Dead or injured fish in the ditch carried by the current are usually on their side or belly up. A slow sinker would be way more natural. I tried the same eye method with dolls eyes (the type with the loose pupils) and had some crazy results.

low & slow 37
gone fishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 04:42 AM   #24
Raven

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by gone fishin View Post
. A slow sinker would be way more natural. I tried the same eye method with dolls eyes (the type with the loose pupils) and had some crazy results.
could you elaborate on That Gone fishin? what do ya mean Crazy results
Old 03-10-2009, 10:04 AM   #25
gone fishin

I re painted the background using colors that were used on the plug. It gave the yes a weird look as the pupil moved around inside the case. The other problem was gluing the eye in place, some glues melted the finish on the back showing the base color through the eye.

This use of animal eyes looks great.

low & slow 37
gone fishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 10:11 AM   #26
ecduzitgood
time to go

Quote:
Originally Posted by gone fishin View Post
Awsome plug, you have more patience than I. One comment on the floating part. I feel that a floating plug of that type would be counter productive. Dead or injured fish in the ditch carried by the current are usually on their side or belly up. A slow sinker would be way more natural. I tried the same eye method with dolls eyes (the type with the loose pupils) and had some crazy results.
I am going to try all kinds of variations. I figure it's like most things in life I have to learn the hard way. But I have caught fish using all sorts of unconditional methods, my motto is try everything when plug fishing till you find what works even just letting a plug sit still on the surface or very little movement.

I have thought about making a plug that has human style eyes and features similar to a humans face just for laughs and who knows it might just work.

Thanks,Ed
Old 10-09-2009, 09:13 PM   #27
Raven

Question ED?

what are you up to LATELY?
Old 10-19-2009, 03:19 PM   #28
ecduzitgood
time to go

I have been busy with too many things and haven't been able to do much with the plug building and have been testing out how my technique for building can be improved. I think eventually I will have to get a lathe and thru-wire using a hanger for the hook even though the two piece has held up well. I only completed two more and was happy with one but the other dosen't swim right.
I was working on a jointed plug but fishing season got here and I have put the plugs aside (not out of the way enoughpic 3) somehow moving stuff by it I caught it and it went flying and screwed up my base coat. I hope to get some time to get back at it.
Fishing this year as been slow for me but the tides and moon phases are off for where I like to fish so I have got to try some new locations/methods. Other than a couple of Salty kits and spray bomb repaints my life just hasn't got enough fishing to keep me happy but then again at my age I seem to hit the wall after about 16 hours fishing the ditch and the rocks seem to be getting harder.
Click image for larger version

Name:	jointed 3.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	18.4 KB
ID:	36160

Name:	jointed.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	14.2 KB
ID:	36161

Name:	jointed 2.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	36162
Old 10-19-2009, 03:27 PM   #29
Raven

get some doctor scholls insoles
paint the chip red like a wounded bait fish
and don't be such a perfectionist....
your not building a piano

save that for plugfest...

stop in more often
and don't be a stranger

~The Raven has spoken~
Old 10-19-2009, 03:38 PM   #30
ecduzitgood
time to go

I quess lurking dosen't count????? I'll have to put my two cents in more rather than just watch/read other peoples threads. *note to self don't be so anti-social/shy.