Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 08-14-2004, 09:01 AM   #31
Diamond Tackle

You guys are all plug sissys.

Got Tin !
Diamond Tackle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 09:13 AM   #32
Charleston
Certified Mass-hole

JHabs;
Great write up. Just what a beginner needs to read!
Charleston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 09:14 AM   #33
JHABS
Needlefish Nazi

I could use a Good Tin & Tonic later.......................

Over the Last Several Years HAB'S NEEDLEFISH Have Caught More "Confirmed" 30, 40, 50, and even 60 pound Striped Bass than any other Wooden Needlefish on the Market today. 2 Over 50lbs. and 1 Over 60lbs. in 2005 alone........... "HOOK UP WITH HAB'S" Your Best Bet For BIG BASS.....
JHABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 09:24 AM   #34
bassmaster
Dave's Guide Service

holeHab

Pro Tool Club....
bassmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 10:32 AM   #35
JHABS
Needlefish Nazi

YES Almighty P- TOWN GUIDE.......... .......

Over the Last Several Years HAB'S NEEDLEFISH Have Caught More "Confirmed" 30, 40, 50, and even 60 pound Striped Bass than any other Wooden Needlefish on the Market today. 2 Over 50lbs. and 1 Over 60lbs. in 2005 alone........... "HOOK UP WITH HAB'S" Your Best Bet For BIG BASS.....
Old 08-14-2004, 10:52 AM   #36
Jigman

Good info guys. Thanks for sharing

Oh, and I have found that lead does not need to be sealed

Jigman
Jigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 10:58 AM   #37
ThrowingTimber
It's about respect baby!

great information thanks guys, very helpful topic.

Domination takes full concentration..
ThrowingTimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 11:23 AM   #38
bassmaster
Dave's Guide Service

Quote:
Originally posted by JHABS
YES Almighty P- TOWN GUIDE.......... .......
Nice Bum Boy back to work for You

Pro Tool Club....
bassmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 11:29 AM   #39
capesams
Really Old & Really Grumpy

tid bit more....urethane is a blend of different tung oils with a splash of hardner mixed in.

just make sure it's exterior/marine urethane.

don't use poly it's not the same.

soak for a half hour,,,,let drip for a few min's, then wipe the outside off an hang over nite.

lightly sand to get rid of any fuzzies,,blow the dust off, or wipe your plug down with wil-bond[has bonding agents to let the paint stick better] then prime with exterior OIL paint.

BOAT fish do count.
capesams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 12:31 PM   #40
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

For those using Tung Oil,do you dilute,dip or brush on and how long do you dry? Thanks
justplugit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 12:36 PM   #41
Bernzy

Dip and dry overnight.

Bernzy

"Sometimes you eat the bear and, well, sometimes... the bear, he eats you." _____________________
Support your S-B sponsors
--------------------------------------
Bernzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 12:39 PM   #42
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Bernzy thanks.How long do you keep them emersed?
justplugit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 05:18 PM   #43
beachwalker
Below Me

salty,

you sure that your are letting that waterlox dry in heat WITH good air flow ?

that is the key to drying it. we paint floors over it but they ain't no plug
beachwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 07:03 PM   #44
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by JHABS
Some seem to change their finishes and their waterproofing ways like I change underwear........ And some seem to be on the Quest in Search of the HOLY GRAIL of Finishes.....Which I'm not even sure is there. You are dealing with a piece of wood that is submerged in water. Some things work better than others, some finishes last longer than others. BUT no one is going to make a piece of wood that lasts for ETERNITY. First of all, all wood should be sealed, no matter what you're using. This will prolong the life of your plug by sealing properly with whatever you're using; OILS or etc. It's up to you.... It's all in the APPLICATION AND CHEMICAL WARFARE, WITH PROPER PAINTS AND PRIMERS. AND PROPER DRYING TIMES. I've been at this a long time. Take it for what it's worth: OILS DO PRESERVE your wood. It seems to me that alot of you guys when using cedars, when going over it with water based paints, the oils bleeds out. This is your problem. DO YOUR HOMEWORK AND EXPERIMENT. Water based in water is a no no. It does not LAST. Oil based in water, REPELS. Let's talk about tung oil. PURE TUNG OIL is a finishing product that provides a tough, flexible coating. Tung Oil had been know for centuries to the Chinese since the 13th century. Tung Oil received wide application in China in the building trades, as a treatment for both wood and stone structures; and in marine trades AS A PRESERVATIVE and WATER REPELLANT on wooden boats. Tung oil is favored over linseed oil because it is faster drying. PURE TUNG OIL is WATER and ALKALI RESISTANT. It resists marring and penatrates well. This is just one of many things I've found out through trial and error. Good luck. Don't be afraid to experiment. THIS CONCLUDES OUR LESSON FOR TODAY.
Very good info John, Thanks
I know how long it takes you to type, glad your puter didn't crash in the middle of that
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 08:00 AM   #45
Adam R

I've had problems with the waterlox, but good results with the boiled linseed oil. With the waterlox, the paint / primer did not adhere to the waterlox. After a few nights of fishing, the paint peeled off. The linseed oil sealed plugs have not had any problems. Even after the hook drags and bluefish have chewed the finish off on spots of the plug, I haven't seen any grain raising
or other problems associated with water absorption.
The first few I did with the boiled linseed, I used it straight, no mineral spirits. The linseed bled through the paint after a week of drying on some of them. It hasn't had any adverse effect on the plug other than it looks awful. I haven't had a problem with bleeding through since I've cut the linseed with mineral spirits.
Adam R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 11:15 AM   #46
JHABS
Needlefish Nazi

AdamR, Your doing your HOMEWORK...............

Old 08-18-2004, 06:32 PM   #47
NIB

I take the raw plug prime wait bout 47 seconds then paint wait one day then epoxy finish one more day an its catchin fish.i got no time to wait.an I don't care if it explodes i just make another one .thank U.
NIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 10:47 AM   #48
Bernzy

I bumped this up because there is a bunch of good info here.

Bernzy

"Sometimes you eat the bear and, well, sometimes... the bear, he eats you." _____________________
Support your S-B sponsors
--------------------------------------
Bernzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 10:57 AM   #49
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Thanks John I needed that.

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 12:44 PM   #50
capesams

oil to oil to oil....very good.

oil to to laytex to oil...not good.

BOAT fish do count.
Old 01-24-2007, 01:47 PM   #51
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master

I gave up on BIN and linseed oil. One is too soft, the other doesn't dry well. I've used val oil/ mineral spirits, dry then sand with 220, then brush on Zspar marine undercoat, dry then sand with 220 and go from there. Am thinking about trying to airbrush oils rather than latex. Anybody doing this?
numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 04:00 PM   #52
striprman
Wishin' for fishin'

You guys make super lures, mine are not pretty but catch fish (for me).
I seal my lures with a couple coats of Testors plastic cement (contains methyl ethyl keytone) and then paint them with Testors paint and then add another couple coat of cement (it drys pretty clear and shiny).
Ever try liquid clear plastic cement ? (this "Testors plastic cement" stuff is like water).

striprman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 05:12 PM   #53
Raven

Thumbs up

i used to do my gun stocks....i sanded them for weeks it seemed like......
before i got them the way the grain looked just right...and brought it out.

i applied tung oil with my thumb the way this old timer showed me
nice smooth strokes.....like how sylvester stalone as Rambo sharpens his big ole knife....real slow and gentle like.

they used to come out mint...too and the weather never even phased them.....with 3-4 coats.
Those were the days......
out on the salt marsh duck huntin with shells i loaded myself....
but i digress

i'd do the left side then the right.... on different days....light sand
in between coats...and the tac rag was so important.

thanks though guys for all that great info....
seems like tho..... :
we were just talkin about that super easy hardening wax recently....
we're all over the place.

Habs thankyou.....

Salty! hire +++> Jason of the Argonauts

nibs comment was awesome

and Justplugit...! we live in a quick dry society .....totally Rich
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 05:38 PM   #54
capesams

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbskull View Post
Am thinking about trying to airbrush oils rather than latex. Anybody doing this?
I use to do this, but having to thin the oil made the paint way to light in color , watered it down to much......van dykes has some reel nice lacquer airbush paint and other kinds.

BOAT fish do count.
Old 01-24-2007, 07:31 PM   #55
jklett
Primate

Quote:
Originally Posted by capesams View Post
I use to do this, but having to thin the oil made the paint way to light in color , watered it down to much......van dykes has some reel nice lacquer airbush paint and other kinds.
I've sprayed one shot lettering enamel in the past without any problems. Just use their reducer. I haven't used it for plugs yet but I wouldn't hesitate to if I had the money for all the colors I want(stuff ain't cheap). Only problem with spraying oil based is that cleanup is a PIA. I stank like turpentine all the time when I used to use it(helped out a signpainter when I was younger).
jklett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 08:08 PM   #56
Diggin Jiggin

I think I joined the site after this thread had come and gone so this was new to me. Lots if interesting info in here. 3 years later, are you guys still doing things the same way?

I know I've tried 3 different sealers each of the past 3 years.

I understand oil-oil-oil is good, is there a sprayable oil primer or do you need to brush it or dip em in it ?

The more I learn about this stuff the more I realize how much I still have to learn.
Diggin Jiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 09:44 PM   #57
Nebe

well since i stopped making plugs and selling them in a few tackleshops around my area, i will share my secrets. I never read about this technique, and just dreampt it up one day when i read that you could thin epoxy with acetone.
I was watering down each seperate part of a 1 to 1 epoxy with acetone and would dunk my blanks in one then the other for an hour each... hardens em up real strong. I mean real real strong to teh point that red cedar was as hard as iron. I had the luxury of lots of heat and would heat up my blanks to help the epoxy seep in. I was using pelucid with great results for a clearcoat on top of oil paints...If i used a clear enamel scratch coat the pelucid would peal off like dead skin form the bottom of your foot.
I dont know if you can do this in a cold garage or basement, but in a 90 degree room and 250 degree blanks it worked schweet.
Dont use pelucid without a massive exhaust system please. You will die.
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 02:05 AM   #58
GattaFish
Great White Scup Hunter

Thinning epoxy

NEBE... When you thinned your epoxy did you ever have any places that would not dry completely..? Finish coat...

I learned that with Devcon if you get a wrinkle in the epoxy coat you could use a fresh brush, dip it in M. E. K. Acetone then brush lightly to fix it.

But I was wondering if I thinned it all together if I could do more than 4 plugs at a time but still have a good result.

Last edited by GattaFish; 01-26-2007 at 02:15 AM..
GattaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 09:22 AM   #59
Nebe

getta fish- i never had any problems. as long as the blank was dunked for the same time and was completley submerged, i was fine. i had a few needles crack on someone because i dunked with painting rods stuffed in the nose hole... the sealer didnt penetrate the wood where the rod was touching.. other than that zero problems.
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 09:23 AM   #60
Canalman
Calling Jon The Fisherman

Quote:
Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^& View Post
BTW, just so you know and I'm stupid to be publicly posting something that I paid someone to research, but all of the spray primers on the market today are engineered for fast dry and as such use fast evaporating solvents. Acetone, ketone, etc etc. Problem is that there are only two classes of oil primers...fast and slow...and if you try and use the fast dry stuff then you're in effect drying the primer before it has a chance to react with the surface oils and make a proper bond... Slow dry base gives the chemicals time to allow the pigment to react with the oil and become PART of the surface oils and allow the pigment etc to actually bond to the surface.
Correct on all counts there Scott
I know you know that but I concure...

Surf Asylum Lures, Custom Lures for the "Committed"
Official S-B Sponsor
Canalman is offline   Reply With Quote