Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 08-12-2004, 05:14 PM   #1
redneck24
WTF

suggestions please.

what do you guys suggest for sealer and primer?
redneck24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 05:18 PM   #2
Backbeach Jake

I'm still using Minwax woodhardner ( I'm looking for something less deadly) and BIN spray primer.
Backbeach Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 06:06 PM   #3
Karl F

linseed oil/mineral spirits soak, (60/40), air dry for a week, Bin (gold can) spray can primer.

might be worth a search, there have been many ways discussed, from sealing them with epoxy, to sealing them with urethane, and everything in-between.
Karl F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 07:03 PM   #4
Young Salt
Salt of the Earth

I like rustoilem painter's touch sandable primer.

I've tried red-label bin in both the spray can and the brush can. I found the spray can left a fussy texture on the wood and took awhile to sand clean. brush was much better-no fuzzy texture, but still took time to sand them down. The rust-oliem went on great and only needed a light sand.

For a sealer i do like Karl 60/40 BOILED linseed oil/mineral spirits.
Young Salt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 07:48 PM   #5
Karl F

Red face yep

Young Salt is correct, make sure you use the BOILED linseed, if that's the route your going to go.
Old 08-12-2004, 07:48 PM   #6
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

60/40 to seal with and Benjamin Moore fresh start to prime,but after finishing Taggers homework i think i'll switch to the Bin spray,as it leaves a smoother finish imho.
justplugit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 07:49 PM   #7
rocketman

How long in the linseed/min spirits soak?

Life is like a poop sandwich, the more bread you've got, the less poop you taste.
rocketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 07:54 PM   #8
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Rocketman, i found after dipping one piece for 1 min and another overniht the penetration was the same in red cedar after cutting them in half. Clear through
Old 08-12-2004, 07:55 PM   #9
Karl F

Wink rocketman

that's a whole other can o' worms.....
some say 30 seconds, some say 60 seconds....
I say. why bother!

I want that sealer to penetrate the wood, I leave it about 6 hours... overnight. I leave 'em hang for a week... I give them a feel, if they are cool to the touch, I let them hang some more... they will feel room temp, when dry.
Old 08-12-2004, 07:59 PM   #10
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Karl what wood to you use most?
Old 08-12-2004, 08:02 PM   #11
Karl F

Whatever is free!!!
I've used maple, oak, poplar, and mahogany.
I know some wouldn't use poplar for kindling, but I've had good luck with it.
I'm new at this, just passing along, whats worked for me... I hope some of our senior (more experienced) staff here will jump in.
Old 08-12-2004, 08:10 PM   #12
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Karl i'm sure the harder woods don't absorb the 60/40 as quickly as the red cedar. Sounds like the overnight would be the best.
Thanks for the tip about the room temp means their dry.
Old 08-12-2004, 08:13 PM   #13
Slipknot
Super Moderator

poplar makes good kindling

I use Alaskan Yellow cedar and don't bother to seal it, it works for me, they are just plugs afterall.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 08:22 PM   #14
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
Originally posted by Slipknot

I use Alaskan Yellow cedar and don't bother to seal it, it works for me, they are just plugs afterall. [/B]
Slip,you can send me all the "just plugs"that you engineer anytime.
Old 08-12-2004, 08:25 PM   #15
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Old 08-12-2004, 08:26 PM   #16
Jigman

poplar has worked for me in the past. Did some poppers and swimmers from it. Gotta seal it well. Have not used it in a while. AYC has a better action, paint holds better, and it is more resistant to rot and such. Depends on the action you want. If poplar works for you, go for it.

I still seal the AYC. 30 second bath in Boiled linseed/mineral spirits mix. I went back and forth on sealing the AYC for a while. Found that sealing it does help, more so with the smaller freshie stuff that I do. Unsealed, it will aborb some water. This will affect the plug's action and can compromise the paint/clear coat. Bear in mind that it takes a while for this to happen. However, in many cases I'll have the same plug on for 5-8 hours. I have had unsealed AYC plugs that swam on top just fine at the beginning of the night just fine. Towards the end of the night, had a hard time keeping them on top. Not a problem if they have been sealed.

My $0.02.

Jigman
Jigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 08:30 PM   #17
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Good idea Jigman
no wonder I use plastic plugs
Old 08-12-2004, 08:45 PM   #18
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Salty, so where does that leave us?I already stopped using Waterlox because of your odor post What do you reccomend?
Old 08-13-2004, 07:34 AM   #19
redneck24
WTF

THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP.
redneck24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 07:36 AM   #20
Jigman

Slip, Plastic plugs Heathen

Wood = Lead =

Jigman
Jigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 06:43 PM   #21
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Talking

Jigster,wood is good,but plastic can be fantastic!
Old 08-13-2004, 07:05 PM   #22
Bernzy

Quote:
Originally posted by justplugit
Salty, so where does that leave us?I already stopped using Waterlox because of your odor post What do you reccomend?

I wouldn't stop using waterlox. I personally think it's a great product. I have had ZERO problems with it.

Also, there are several reputable builders in your neck of the woods that have been using it for years.

That's my $.02

Bernzy

"Sometimes you eat the bear and, well, sometimes... the bear, he eats you." _____________________
Support your S-B sponsors
--------------------------------------
Bernzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 07:35 PM   #23
BassAssasin
-------------

I'd like to hear what Habs has to say about this topic.
BassAssasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 07:39 PM   #24
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Salty,are you saying that a full alkyd primer will seal and prime if you are willing to take the time for it to dry?
Thanks to all you guys for keepin me learnin
Old 08-13-2004, 07:51 PM   #25
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Makes sense.WE are always in such a hurry and the paint companies are trying to appease us.
We live in a Quick Dry society.
Old 08-13-2004, 09:43 PM   #26
JHABS
Needlefish Nazi

Some seem to change their finishes and their waterproofing ways like I change underwear........ And some seem to be on the Quest in Search of the HOLY GRAIL of Finishes.....Which I'm not even sure is there. You are dealing with a piece of wood that is submerged in water. Some things work better than others, some finishes last longer than others. BUT no one is going to make a piece of wood that lasts for ETERNITY. First of all, all wood should be sealed, no matter what you're using. This will prolong the life of your plug by sealing properly with whatever you're using; OILS or etc. It's up to you.... It's all in the APPLICATION AND CHEMICAL WARFARE, WITH PROPER PAINTS AND PRIMERS. AND PROPER DRYING TIMES. I've been at this a long time. Take it for what it's worth: OILS DO PRESERVE your wood. It seems to me that alot of you guys when using cedars, when going over it with water based paints, the oils bleeds out. This is your problem. DO YOUR HOMEWORK AND EXPERIMENT. Water based in water is a no no. It does not LAST. Oil based in water, REPELS. Let's talk about tung oil. PURE TUNG OIL is a finishing product that provides a tough, flexible coating. Tung Oil had been know for centuries to the Chinese since the 13th century. Tung Oil received wide application in China in the building trades, as a treatment for both wood and stone structures; and in marine trades AS A PRESERVATIVE and WATER REPELLANT on wooden boats. Tung oil is favored over linseed oil because it is faster drying. PURE TUNG OIL is WATER and ALKALI RESISTANT. It resists marring and penatrates well. This is just one of many things I've found out through trial and error. Good luck. Don't be afraid to experiment. THIS CONCLUDES OUR LESSON FOR TODAY.

Over the Last Several Years HAB'S NEEDLEFISH Have Caught More "Confirmed" 30, 40, 50, and even 60 pound Striped Bass than any other Wooden Needlefish on the Market today. 2 Over 50lbs. and 1 Over 60lbs. in 2005 alone........... "HOOK UP WITH HAB'S" Your Best Bet For BIG BASS.....
JHABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 12:16 AM   #27
Bernzy

Quote:
Originally posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
Bernzy you can use what you want, but I am telling you this..... BOTH linseed oil and waterlox/tung oil act as a release agent to the primer layer when a wood plug body is dipped in it. The engineer I have been PAYING predicted this and the others we have consulted with have advised the same thing. Adhesion tests have proved it on wood sealed for 1 week or 2 months. Not only with bin products but with many other primers on the market today. Am I an expert in it or know it all? Nope that's what I'm paying this guy for right now. To develop a completely bullet proof and consistent finish. And the only way you can do it with any of these products is to use a full alkyd primer, that is the only thing we've done so far that will give us a solid base to expand the paint layer on. Problem with oil primer is length of time to dry especially in the humid weather lately. 3-4 days is what we've found for proper dry and adhesion. Suxx to tie up paint racks for 4 days of dry time....
Salty,

I am just saying what works for me. I have had ZERO problems with the primer I use, adhering to a Tung Oil sealed plug. I CANNOT scratch the primer off of a sealed plug. I let the tung oil dry for 12 hours then prime. No problems! You are correct however, with the humidity issue. It can affect the drying/curing time of many sealers, primers and finishes. My shop is in a controlled environment so I don't have to deal with humidity problems.

I'm not using what I want, but rather what I need to build plugs that are durable.

With the money I've spent trying various products, I may have been better off hiring someone to figure it out for me.

I've found the combo I've been looking for through testing and trial and error.

Bernzy

"Sometimes you eat the bear and, well, sometimes... the bear, he eats you." _____________________
Support your S-B sponsors
--------------------------------------
Bernzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 05:42 AM   #28
JHABS
Needlefish Nazi

The info I gave is my opinion, BASED on my years of Trial and Error....................Someone asked What I think and Only answered the Question.............................

Over the Last Several Years HAB'S NEEDLEFISH Have Caught More "Confirmed" 30, 40, 50, and even 60 pound Striped Bass than any other Wooden Needlefish on the Market today. 2 Over 50lbs. and 1 Over 60lbs. in 2005 alone........... "HOOK UP WITH HAB'S" Your Best Bet For BIG BASS.....
JHABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 07:32 AM   #29
BassAssasin
-------------

Habs, thanks for the reply.
BassAssasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 07:42 AM   #30
bassmaster
Dave's Guide Service

HabHole

Pro Tool Club....
bassmaster is offline   Reply With Quote