Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 11-05-2008, 02:05 PM   #1
Flaptail

Smile This just in......

What with the approval of Question 2 in Massachusetts, Hostess Foods announced the expected increase in the sales of Twinkies, Snow Balls and Hostess Cupcakes!

Why even try.........
Old 11-05-2008, 02:45 PM   #2
Starfish
Princess of the Rocks

Send a message via AIM to Starfish Send a message via Yahoo to Starfish

Thats freakin funny!

Is There Anything Sexier Than A Hot Babe With A Bent Rod? ~RHern
Old 11-05-2008, 02:51 PM   #3
Nebe

The state of Mass is also now forced to post Minimum MPH signs on all highways as well as maximum
Old 11-05-2008, 05:00 PM   #4
Raven

30 more days....
Old 11-05-2008, 08:00 PM   #5
sokinwet

Wonder if this change will effect those who lost their FID cards due to old pot charges. I lost my best hunting partner back when the "new" gun law was passed because of a 30+ year old possession charge dating back to when he was 17. Probably take a while to sort out these kind of things.
Old 11-05-2008, 10:33 PM   #6
Nebe

hmmmm.........

Old 11-06-2008, 05:27 AM   #7
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

nebe will you be blowing a 2 for one special?
Old 11-06-2008, 06:08 AM   #8
Raven

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokinwet View Post
Wonder if this change will effect those who lost their FID cards due to old pot charges. I lost my best hunting partner back when the "new" gun law was passed because of a 30+ year old possession charge dating back to when he was 17. Probably take a while to sort out these kind of things.
i doubt it.... because it happened prior to the change in the law... but if it did...that would be great.

i'm curious too..... what if some rich kid tries for the most civil pot tickets ever recorded on purpose
then what?

i hope -> Med M gets a reprieve in this state next...
Old 11-06-2008, 08:25 AM   #9
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^& View Post
nebe will you be blowing a 2 for one special?
Maybe I will become a site sponsor agian and have 420 specials..
Old 11-06-2008, 08:51 AM   #10
Raven

Talking now your talkin

better ask BO if that's ok first
Old 11-06-2008, 09:40 AM   #11
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

i'm in
Old 11-06-2008, 09:40 AM   #12
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Send a message via AIM to likwid
Maaaaaaaaaaaan.

Ski Quicks Hole
Old 11-06-2008, 11:41 AM   #13
Flaptail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
The state of Mass is also now forced to post Minimum MPH signs on all highways as well as maximum
I have often harbored the suspicion that whoever invented cruise control for automobiles smoked dope.

Why even try.........
Old 11-06-2008, 12:06 PM   #14
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Send a message via AIM to likwid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaptail View Post
I have often harbored the suspicion that whoever invented cruise control for automobiles smoked dope.
God I love cruise control.

Ski Quicks Hole
Old 11-08-2008, 03:09 PM   #15
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

Hey Flap pass the box of HO HO's

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/poli...19/detail.html
Old 11-08-2008, 06:38 PM   #16
Raven

Thumbs up Bill Clinton never inhaled

Obama inhaled often,,, that was the point

Old 11-09-2008, 06:01 PM   #17
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

Today in the Milford Daily News. Thought you guys might like to read this.

Massachusetts voters last week, including 65 percent of Milford voters and 66 percent of Framingham voters, approved Ballot Question 2 to decriminalize possession of less than an ounce of marijuana. Now what?

For area law enforcement officials, the answer prompts a long list of more questions. Among them:

Who is going to maintain the registry for the offense?

How are the police going to be trained?

What happens if someone doesn't pay the fine?

"The only thing I can see clearly is that there is going to have to be a little more time to figure things out," said Norfolk District Attorney William Keating. "This was never thought through."

And the clock is ticking. All these questions must be answered in the next 30 days, before the new law takes effect.

Keating and other district attorneys met Friday, at the request of the state Office of Public Safety, to address implementation questions.

But Keating said the informal meeting led to more questions than answers.

According to Keating, municipal leaders are worried about being sued for unlawful arrests and police chiefs want to know what to do if someone without identification is stopped with a small amount of pot.

Milford Police Chief Thomas O'Loughlin said one of the biggest challenges he faces are legal guidelines that have yet to be clarified.

"If I pull over a car and find three people smoking a joint, is there a consensus that I still have a right to search?" he asked. O'Loughlin said it is now up to the Legislature to take a look at these grey areas and key questions.

In addition to these concerns, there are simple technical details - such as getting the tickets printed - that must be dealt with.

These logistical problems are a common concern among district attorneys and lawmakers. According to Worcester County District Attorney Joseph Early, the amount of marijuana that constitutes a civil offense provides for anywhere from 30-60 joints.

He wondered if someone has less than an ounce but it appears it is divided in such a way that indicates intent to distribute, can they be charged with a criminal as opposed to a civil offense?

"That has really been the biggest roadblock," said Early.

O'Loughlin and Keating also expressed concern about the equity of the new law.

"A kid standing with a can of beer that is worth a dollar faces greater penalties than a kid with an ounce of marijuana worth $600," said O'Loughlin. "We have to treat kids fairly."

Keating said the severity of penalties for underage drinking as opposed to the new law are fueling uncertainty.

"The most difficult portion of this are those issues that surround people under 21 because we are left with such an uneven situation here," said Keating.

Keating said the law creates a handful of unintended consequences, such as the effect it has on school policies regarding pot use and foster care screening of potential caregivers with pot records, which he says are "even more far reaching than just the basic law questions that are being asked."

Corey Welford, a spokesman for Middlesex District Attorney Gerard Leone, said until the new law is implemented the existing marijuana law will remain in effect.

"We want to send a clear message to our kids that marijuana is unhealthy, dangerous and illegal in Massachusetts," he said. "It doesn't change our resolve to prosecute drug traffickers."

One district attorney is already operating as though the new law were in effect. Hamden District Attorney William Bennett said last week after the landslide vote he planned to drop all pending marijuana cases where the amount of pot in possession is less than one ounce. He plans on acting as though the law is in effect now to instead focus on prosecuting drug dealers.

Under the new law, those caught with less than one ounce of marijuana face a $100 fine and must forfeit the drug. The current law stipulates that those caught with small amounts of marijuana face a $500 fine and up to six months on jail.

One of the main arguments of Question 2 opponents was that decriminalization was tantamount to legalization.

But state Rep. John Fernades, D-Milford, said all trafficking laws remain on the books.

"The possession of marijuana is now decriminalized, the acquisition of it is not," he said. "Distribution is still a criminal offense."

Many proponents of Question 2 argued that the current law prevented students from obtaining scholarships and unfairly affected their admission to schools for a minor offense.

"From a personal point of view, I don't want to see somebody not get a scholarship or not get into a particular school because of a minor offense," said O'Loughlin.

Fernandes said he spoke with many parents of young children who have been caught up in the court system because of marijuana convictions.

"You have to look at an election like this and see that the generations that were voting were more tolerant than previous generations have been," he said. "The people have spoken."
Old 11-09-2008, 09:33 PM   #18
saltfly

reeses cups and pop-sicles.PURE HEAVEN
Old 11-09-2008, 09:39 PM   #19
saltfly

$600 bucks for an ounce? See what happens when the government gets involved