Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 01-11-2007, 09:32 AM   #1
Sluggoslinger

Preserving a Lobster Claw

This summer when my GF's father was in town I got a 22lb lobster for us all to eat since he is from beverly but now lives in Cali. I saved the big claw and for his birthday I was going to give it to him. I filled the whole thing up with fiberglass and coated the outside. The only problem is that in the last batch I used when I coated the outside, I didn't put enough hardner on it and it hasn't dried after 5 days. I am flying out to california this afternoon and I was going to give it to him but that just can't happen now. I'll have to ship it at another time.

I bought some more hardner last night and painted it on hoping for a miracle but no luck... Some of the origional coat is actuall pealing off and it doesn't look so hot. What would you do to save it?

I was thinking about cleaning it off with acetone and then putting a fresh batch of fiberglass on it nice and thick. Have any of you ever tride to do this? I have attached a pic of the bug... Buddy the golden behind it weighs about 90lbs

Last edited by Sluggoslinger; 04-30-2008 at 04:42 PM..
Sluggoslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 10:24 AM   #2
jim sylvester
<><><><><><><>

don't know how to help you out here.........but imagine the size of the striper if that thing was in her stomach
jim sylvester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 12:27 PM   #3
Backbeach Jake

Let it dry out. We've had a claw from our 10th wedding anniversary as a Christmas tree ornament. For nearly 25 years. All we did was put a wire hook on it. It has faded from red to pink but that is all. I was considering putting a coat of e-tex on it this year.

He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
Thomas Paine
Backbeach Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 12:37 PM   #4
jim sylvester
<><><><><><><>

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim sylvester View Post
don't know how to help you out here.........but imagine the size of the striper if that thing was in her stomach
ok....i found the bass that could eat that lobster
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	giantbass_edited.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	18788  
jim sylvester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 12:40 PM   #5
MakoMike

What I'd like to know is how you get the meat out of that claw without breaking it into so many pieces that you can't put it back together?

****MakoMike****

Http://www.Makomania.net

Official S-B Sponsor
MakoMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 01:05 PM   #6
Sluggoslinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakoMike View Post
What I'd like to know is how you get the meat out of that claw without breaking it into so many pieces that you can't put it back together?
Hacksaw, one clean cut...
Old 01-11-2007, 01:11 PM   #7
Mr. Sandman

WOW...22# that is a bigone! I am amazed they go into a pot.

I have talked to a taxidermist who did a big one like that and it is a slow job getting it all out with breaking it all up into parts. You use something like a dental pic to get the little legs.
Mr. Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 01:31 PM   #8
Sluggoslinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sandman View Post
WOW...22# that is a bigone! I am amazed they go into a pot.

I have talked to a taxidermist who did a big one like that and it is a slow job getting it all out with breaking it all up into parts. You use something like a dental pic to get the little legs.
Gill-net bycatch from a friend in the cape.
Old 01-11-2007, 05:49 PM   #9
MakoMike

The really big ones come from nets, either gillnets or otter trawls. You right, they are too big to get into a "normal" size trap.

****MakoMike****

Http://www.Makomania.net

Official S-B Sponsor
MakoMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 06:07 PM   #10
Jenn

I saved a claw from an 8 pounder seven years ago (getting the meat out was tricky BTW but worth the effort) all I did was soak it in a mild bleach and water solution, scubbing it with a brush to remove any fat or meat.Then just let it dry. I have it displayed in the cabinet with my china and it is always a topic of discussion! "WOW, is that real???" is usually how it starts....that was seven years ago and it still looks great!

Simplify.......
Jenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 06:30 PM   #11
Backbeach Jake

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn View Post
I saved a claw from an 8 pounder seven years ago (getting the meat out was tricky BTW but worth the effort) all I did was soak it in a mild bleach and water solution, scubbing it with a brush to remove any fat or meat.Then just let it dry. I have it displayed in the cabinet with my china and it is always a topic of discussion! "WOW, is that real???" is usually how it starts....that was seven years ago and it still looks great!
So what is it with the name Jenn that makes you save a lobster claw? That's Mrs. Jakes name, too.

He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
Thomas Paine
Backbeach Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 06:35 PM   #12
Jenn

Heehee.....actually I dont really know...I just looked at it and felt I had to keep it!!!!

Simplify.......
Jenn is offline   Reply With Quote