Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » StriperTalk!

StriperTalk! All things Striper

Old 11-05-2001, 11:31 AM   #1
Tattoo

Penn Reels - Prion Vs Slammer

I saw a few adds for the new Penn Slammer reels. Funny thing is Penn has nothing listed about them on their web site.
Anyone have info?

Anyone have any experience with the Prion Models?

Tired of dealing with the bail spring and dog leg on the X500 SS models.

SANTA is coming!
Tattoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2001, 11:50 AM   #2
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

I'm pretty sure that the "Penn Slammer" is just the rod and not a reel series too. What size reel are you looking for?

For smaller & lighter, I'm really diggin that Stradic 4000... Don't know anything about the Prion. I have a small Powergraph and it's ok but not as solid feeling as an SS series reel... Did I mention that I like the Stradic

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2001, 12:07 PM   #3
Tattoo

Nope...its says SLAMMER right on the spool in big black letters...in The Fishermen mag...
Old 11-05-2001, 12:40 PM   #4
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

You're right, nothing on their site about that reel... But they aren't the most up-to-date anyway...

For those of you that have pics of sweet fish taken on Penn Products, there is a picture contest where they show the fish and you get a hat and one angler gets a 955 Baitcaster (nice reel).... It might be worth it if you have a pic of a nice fish caught on Penn gear....

http://www.pennreels.com/pennpix.html

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2001, 12:45 PM   #5
AnthonyN

Send a message via AIM to AnthonyN
I would go with a cheaper shimano before a prion. I picked up a Shimano Sedona 4000 a couple of years ago for my light tackle duty and i am very happy with it. The drag is great caught some keeper bass and some Alligator blues on it and the drag worked perfect. It is also still smooth no grinding of gears. I am not gonna knock the Prion since i have never used it but I think a shimano would be a better bet. I dont care all that much for penn reels anyway I had a 6500ss break while reeling in a big blue The handle got all stripped out and would not stay in the reel It sounded like crap anyway I think the gears were going. The only penn I have in working order now is my 4500ss which i would trade for a 6000 shimano series of any value. Well and i got a penn 320GTI which will see almost no action.
AnthonyN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2001, 01:33 PM   #6
The Iceman 6
Here fishy fishy

Tattoo, my dad (Hesh2) has the Penn Prion and he loves it - much better then the SS. No broblems and he fished it hard all year, asked a Penn Repairman (does not work for Penn) if there were any problems with it - told him NONE, excellent reel. Heard there were problems with the Shimano's, they jam up - just what I heard.

Iceman
The Iceman 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2001, 01:41 PM   #7
Tattoo

Iceman....did he wash it off after outings? The only watrer my gear sees is salt...out of the truck, into the garage and back again...time a thousand. Clean 'em at the end of the season...but thats about it.
Old 11-05-2001, 02:05 PM   #8
The Iceman 6
Here fishy fishy

Tatoo, he just washes them with fresh water after every use, end of year cleaning. I've used the reel before, very very freakin' smooth, night and day between prion and ss....
The Iceman 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2001, 04:46 PM   #9
Don M
Official S-B Sponsor

Prion/Slammer reels

Tattoo:
Have sold quite a few Prion reels...everyone who owns them loves them. Have only sold a couple of models the PR1800 and PR2400 are the largest. However, both are still quite small. They hold up very well...out of the 20 or so sold did not have to service any of them.
PR2400 220/10
200/0.30 5.2-1 12
PR1800 210/8
190/0.275 5.2-1 11.5
PR1200 190/6
175/0.25 5.2-1 9.75
PR900 140/6
130/0.25 5.2-1 9.25

As for the slammer, I will be inspecting them at a dealer show on the 11th or 12th. I will shoot you an e-mail after I see them. I will also check and see if Penn has plans for any larger prion reels.

BTW I own a Prion and love it. Best spinning reel penn ever made.
Don M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2001, 05:49 PM   #10
chubsdad

prion reels

i own two prions there ok if your not going to fish them every day. i bought them 2 years ago. burnt one out the same year then i bought stratic 4000 i love it no problems at all bass blues albies bones it takes a beating as long as you clean it . after you use it. i recomend th stratic . p.s ill sell you 2 used prions if you want
chubsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2001, 08:05 PM   #11
Tattoo

like I said..I only clean the once a year.....which just happens to be at the end.

Thanks for the offer