Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 01-28-2011, 12:45 PM   #1
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

those wacky libs

are they worried that if they keep crybabying that someday they may just be ignored?

I've never watched or lsitened to Limbaugh and my wife is Chinese, my kids 1/2 chinese and many of my friends and in-laws.
So Limbaugh making fun of the Chinese language (which imho is barely speak-able) is inciting racism, hatred and bigotry?
I guess Im a bigot. When my wife gets off the phone with her Mom, I always mimic their discussion and my laughs. I wish I could be fluent in 2 languages but Im sorry the chinese language sounds funny to my western ears

Asian-American lawmakers demand Limbaugh apology

Rush Limbaugh AP – FILE - In this Jan 18, 2009, file photo, talk show host Rush Limbaugh is interviewed on the sidelines …
By JUDY LIN, Associated Press Judy Lin, Associated Press – Fri Jan 28, 5:52 am ET

SACRAMENTO, Calif. – Rush Limbaugh's imitation of the Chinese language during a recent speech made by Chinese President Hu Jintao has stirred a backlash among Asian-American lawmakers in California and nationally.

California state Sen. Leland Yee, a Democrat from San Francisco, is leading a fight in demanding an apology from the radio talk show host for what he and others view as racist and derogatory remarks against the Chinese people.

In recent days, the state lawmaker has rallied civil rights groups in a boycott of companies like Pro Flowers, Sleep Train and Domino's Pizza that advertise on Limbaugh's national talk radio show.

"The comments that he made — the mimicking of the Chinese language — harkens back to when I was a little boy growing up in San Francisco and those were hard days, rather insensitive days," Yee said in an interview Thursday. "You think you've arrived and all of a sudden get shot back to the reality that you're a second-class citizen."

During a Jan. 19 radio program, Limbaugh said there was no translation of the Chinese president's speech during a visit to the White House.

"He was speaking and they weren't translating," Limbaugh said. "They normally translate every couple of words. Hu Jintao was just going ching chong, ching chong cha."

He then launched into a 20-second-long imitation of the Chinese leader's dialect.

The next day, Limbaugh said he "did a remarkable job" of imitating China's president for someone who doesn't know a language spoken by more than 1 billion people.
More in Entertainment
The New Royals: Insight on Prince William & Kate Middleton's wedding
Full coverage of the royal wedding on Yahoo! News
Complete entertainment coverage

"Back in the old days, Sid Caesar, for those of you old enough to remember, was called a comic genius for impersonating foreign languages that he couldn't speak," Limbaugh said. "But today the left says that was racism; it was bigotry; it was insulting. And it wasn't. It was a service."

A telephone and e-mail to Limbaugh's station operator Clear Channel Communications Inc. was not returned Thursday. Clear Channel's Premiere Radio Networks Inc. is home to Limbaugh, Jim Rome, Ryan Seacrest, Glenn Beck, Bob Costas and Sean Hannity.

An e-mail to Limbaugh's show requesting comment was also not returned.

Yee has been joined by Asian-American state and federal lawmakers who say Limbaugh's comments are inciting hate and intolerance amid a polarized atmosphere. A number of civil rights groups, including Chinese for Affirmative Action, Japanese American Citizens League and the California National Organization for Women, have joined Yee in calling on sponsors to pull advertisements from Limbaugh's program.

An online petition has been created on Yee's website.

"I want an apology at the very least," said New York Assemblywoman Grace Meng, a Queens Democrat. "Making fun of any country's leader is just very disrespectful for someone who says he is a proud American."

She added: "He was, in his own way, trying to attack the leader of another country, and that's his prerogative as well, but at the same time he offended 13 percent of New York City's population."

There are about 14 million, or 4.5 percent, Asian-Americans in the United States, more if counting those of mixed races.

In California, Asians make up more than 12 percent of the state's 38 million population.

While Asian-American lawmakers demand an apology from Limbaugh, some are increasingly concerned for Yee's personal safety. Public officials have been put on alert after the deadly rampage in Tucson where U.S. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords was shot while meeting with constituents.

Shortly after condemning Limbaugh's remarks, Yee said he received racist death threats to his San Francisco and Sacramento offices. The lawmaker also received a profanity-filled telephone message Thursday.

The caller, who did not identify himself, called Yee a "cry baby" and urged him to resign from office.

Senate Sergeant-at-Arms Tony Beard Jr. confirmed the Legislature has launched an investigation and is cooperating with other security agencies.

He said Yee had received similar faxes in April after he called on a state university to disclose how much it was paying Sarah Palin for a fundraiser.

"We need to stand up for civility and be respectful of one another. Otherwise the consequences are dreadful as we can already see in the death threats against Senator Yee," said Rep. Judy Chu, a Democrat who represents a large Asian district outside Los Angeles.

Yee, who has a chance to become San Francisco's first elected Asian mayor, said he has no plans to change his behavior because doing so would amount to "stepping down." He said his staff has received additional security training.

"It's just been a disappointing experience," Yee said. "I'm not angry about it, more disappointed that in the year 2011, we still have individuals who are racist."

Threats to minority lawmakers are not new. California state Assemblyman Paul Fong said he was the target of racist comments in 2009, when he introduced a resolution officially expressing California's regret for the way it treated Chinese living in the state.

___

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 01-28-2011, 12:46 PM   #2
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

"The comments that he made — the mimicking of the Chinese language — harkens back to when I was a little boy growing up in San Francisco and those were hard days, rather insensitive days," Yee said in an interview Thursday. "You think you've arrived and all of a sudden get shot back to the reality that you're a second-class citizen."

man, thats funny

Old 01-28-2011, 12:48 PM   #3
scottw

Limbaugh is Sum Dum Guy
Old 01-28-2011, 12:56 PM   #4
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
Limbaugh is Sum Dum Guy
BIGOT !!!

Old 01-28-2011, 12:58 PM   #5
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

do these people realize that all they do is give Palin, Rush and Beck more press?

Old 01-28-2011, 01:08 PM   #6
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
BIGOT !!!
no way, I love chinese food
Old 01-28-2011, 01:26 PM   #7
scottw

JIMMY did you catch this?

I tried to post the WSJlink but there's something funky going on with it...this Chinese-American mom attempted to explain the stereotypical academic etc. success of Chinese(American) children with regard to parenting philosophies and cultural difference and apparently people went bonkers....

Amy Chua Sets Off Firestorm With 'Chinese Mother' Essay
Tiger Mother, Books News

When Amy Chua published a list of things her children "were never allowed to do" growing up, including "attend a sleepover," "watch TV or play computer games," and "get any grade less than an A," in The Wall Street Journal on January 8, the Yale Law professor and author ignited a firestorm of controversy from bloggers, newspaper columnists and, of course, parents across the country. The rules were excerpted from her forthcoming book "Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother," which describes her journey as a Chinese-American mother.

The responses to Chua's article have been so vitriolic that The Journal even published a follow-up piece with Chua responding to readers' questions. Additionally, as noted on ABC News, the original Journal column might have highlighted only one piece of Chua's parenting philosophy
Old 01-28-2011, 01:45 PM   #8
spence

I think his actions speak more about his fans than those who might be offended.

-spence
Old 01-28-2011, 01:52 PM   #9
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
JIMMY did you catch this?

I tried to post the WSJlink but there's something funky going on with it...this Chinese-American mom attempted to explain the stereotypical academic etc. success of Chinese(American) children with regard to parenting philosophies and cultural difference and apparently people went bonkers....

Amy Chua Sets Off Firestorm With 'Chinese Mother' Essay
Tiger Mother, Books News

When Amy Chua published a list of things her children "were never allowed to do" growing up, including "attend a sleepover," "watch TV or play computer games," and "get any grade less than an A," in The Wall Street Journal on January 8, the Yale Law professor and author ignited a firestorm of controversy from bloggers, newspaper columnists and, of course, parents across the country. The rules were excerpted from her forthcoming book "Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother," which describes her journey as a Chinese-American mother.

The responses to Chua's article have been so vitriolic that The Journal even published a follow-up piece with Chua responding to readers' questions. Additionally, as noted on ABC News, the original Journal column might have highlighted only one piece of Chua's parenting philosophy

I've been following all the tiger mother stuff closely.

Old 01-28-2011, 01:57 PM   #10
Piscator

I don't listen to him but I see no difference in this vs making fun of a Boston, New York, Souther Draw, etc, etc accent.

People need to lighten up, everone acting like 2 year olds "look what he said", "look what they said".

"I know a taxidermy man back home. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him!"
Old 01-28-2011, 01:58 PM   #11
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piscator View Post

People need to lighten up, everone acting like 2 year olds "look what he said", "look what they said".
people=liberals

Old 01-28-2011, 02:01 PM   #12
spence

Quote:
I don't listen to him but I see no difference in this vs making fun of a Boston, New York, Souther Draw, etc, etc accent.
There's a great line I heard once..."even a dog knows when you kick it by mistake."

People can generally tell when something is in good nature rather than genuinely mean spirited. Limbaugh makes a living, a very good living off of being an #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^& a good part of the time.

He loves the fact that it's binging him more attention, hell, that's the entire point, to make money for himself and his sponsors.

Again, it says more about his fans than anything else...

-spence
Old 01-28-2011, 02:14 PM   #13
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
There's a great line I heard once..."even a dog knows when you kick it by mistake."

People can generally tell when something is in good nature rather than genuinely mean spirited. Limbaugh makes a living, a very good living off of being an #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^& a good part of the time.

He loves the fact that it's binging him more attention, hell, that's the entire point, to make money for himself and his sponsors.

-spence
that's original
Old 01-28-2011, 02:18 PM   #14
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:

-spence
So Spence, you believe people should be offended by his comments? You really think that asians in this country are offended by this?
I believe that if you are offended, you're the one with problem.

Old 01-28-2011, 02:22 PM   #15
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Old 01-28-2011, 02:28 PM   #16
Piscator

Quote:

-spence
Isn't it the liberal side that is fueling the attention and making him so much money by making such a big deal out of it?

"I know a taxidermy man back home. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him!"
Old 01-28-2011, 02:43 PM   #17
spence

Quote:
Isn't it the liberal side that is fueling the attention and making him so much money by making such a big deal out of it?
Certainly those who operate outside of the mainstream benefit from opposition as it's a reinforcing effect among their base. But this is secondary to his talent, on loan from God.

-spence
Old 01-28-2011, 02:46 PM   #18
scottw

I found this far more offensive...

Chinese pianist Lang Lang tickled the ivories with an anti-American ballad at last week’s State Dinner for President Hu Jintao, the White House responded Monday condemning the criticism and insisting the song, “My Motherland,” was no insult to the United States.

The song was written for the 1956 Chinese war film, “Battle on Shangganling Mountain” which depicts PRC soldiers as the heroes and Americans as the bad guys.

The original song portrays Americans as wolves (or jackals), greeted by “the hunting rifle.”

The movie and the tune are widely known among Chinese, and the song has been a leading piece of anti-American propaganda by the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) for decades.

The joke was not lost on Chinese internet writers who acclaimed Lang Lang’s choice of music. “It’s deeply meaningful to play this in the United States, but I don’t know if the Americans can understand? Ha ha,” Asia One news reports

no...Asia one, our elitists are incapable of recognizing when America is insulted and many probably recognized the tune as a childhood nursery song...

Last edited by scottw; 01-28-2011 at 02:53 PM..
Old 01-28-2011, 02:53 PM   #19
spence

Quote:
So Spence, you believe people should be offended by his comments? You really think that asians in this country are offended by this?
Apparently some are as they're asking Rush for an apology.

Quote:
I believe that if you are offended, you're the one with problem.
If I was Chinese I'd be most offended that Rush was mocking my language primarily to make fun of Obama.

-spence
Old 01-28-2011, 02:55 PM   #20
scottw

Quote:

If I was Chinese I'd be most offended that Rush was mocking my language primarily to make fun of Obama.

-spence
Rush should aporogize in Chinese..now that would be funny
Old 01-28-2011, 02:58 PM   #21
Piscator

Quote:
Certainly those who operate outside of the mainstream benefit from opposition as it's a reinforcing effect among their base.

-spence
If they have to complain about (and sometimes blow out of proportion) someone elses thoughts/words in order to have a reinforcing effect among their base..........then they have a base of weak minded people who clearly don't use there own thougts to form an opinion (that goes for both sides).

I mostly hear more negitive media coverage of the farthest right of the right wingers than I do on the farthest left of the left wingers......

Old 01-28-2011, 03:01 PM   #22
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:

-spence
Spence, "some" are the liberals. No one else.

Old 01-28-2011, 03:01 PM   #23
Piscator

Quote:

-spence
Why is it different for a radio guy (right or left) to say this than it is for Saturday Night Live (who is wayyyyyy left) to say and do it??

He doesn't hold public office, he is on the radio like Howard Stern was

Old 01-28-2011, 03:09 PM   #24
scottw

Quote:
Why is it different for a radio guy (right or left) to say this than it is for Saturday Night Live (who is wayyyyyy left) to say and do it??

anyone else notice that Spence is exactly like the woman in the liberal journalists cartoon video that JohnR posted...it's uncanny?
Old 01-28-2011, 03:10 PM   #25
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:

because one of the key plays in the democratic propaganda book is to demonize the right. They try to tie Rush to all conservatives.
And this plays right into the weak minded libs. For a detailed overview see John Rs post titled HeHeHeHe

Old 01-28-2011, 03:12 PM   #26
fishbones

Quote:
anyone else notice that Spence is exactly like the woman in the liberal journalists cartoon video that JohnR posted...it's uncanny?
His boobs are a little smaller, but other than that it is uncanny.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
Old 01-28-2011, 03:50 PM   #27
spence

Quote:
because one of the key plays in the democratic propaganda book is to demonize the right. They try to tie Rush to all conservatives.
Actually I think it's usually the opposite.

-spence
Old 01-28-2011, 03:52 PM   #28
spence

Quote:
Spence, "some" are the liberals. No one else.
How do you figure?

-spence