Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 01-20-2015, 07:45 PM   #1
beamie

Wood Stove Air Circulation

So I have a really nice woodstove in the cellar and run it allot during the winter as I spend allot of time in the mancave doing stuff.

Gets nice down there. Would love to get some of this heat up to the first floor. I leave the cellar door open and the heat travels up but not as good as I thought it would.

Been thinking of cutting a hole in the floor and putting in a register but I am sure that is not allowed code wise for fire stop etc. But what if this was a register vent with an auto fire damper fusible links in it.

So any of you builders / HVAC guys know what the rules and code is for a hole in a floor between levels. Can it be done or not?

Jon, 24' Nauset-Green Topsides, Beamie, North River. Channel 68/69. MSBA, NIBA
beamie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 08:15 PM   #2
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

I use a small plastic cheap clamp on fan to circulate the air for my stove. A friend has a coal stove in the cellar and he put registers, grates, in the floors in each room. It is all he uses for heat. Code wise I have no idea.

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 08:21 PM   #3
Jackbass
Land OF Forgotten Toys

I assume as Long as you install a fire damper should not be an issue. Basically a mechanical louver that carries a two hour fire rating. A fuse link would close the damper at say 135 degrees keeping fire localized to a point.

You may need to supply more air to the system as well not certAin how the positive negative pressure system works. To get maximum flow you may need to relieve air
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Jackbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 07:24 AM   #4
Mugz

I'm no expert but a buddy of mine just did this. He bought a register with a fan in it....that is safety CODE. Has some sort of safety feature that will shut the register if there is a fire. I think it was relatively cheap in price as well....like less than $200. He swears by it and wishes he had done it sooner. It's not huge either....fits in between the rafters and needed to be hard wired....maybe 3 or 4 inches in width.
Mugz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 09:14 AM   #5
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

Send a message via Skype™ to PRBuzz
What is fire code in a 50-60+yr old house? I have a finished basement, previous owners remodeled so that basement access door only 1/2 height. I totally removed door. There is good airflow exchange up/down the stairwell. Yes I have a woodstove in basement wherein I cut two opening in floor above, blocked off between joices and have standard registers in floor above (maybe 3 1/2-4 x 10"). BTW I made a box with one end open, kind of like ram air, to force the hot stove air as it travels along ceiling into the vents. I do have an electric fan in one but rarely use it.

There is no fireblocking in house walls that I can tell.

Installation passed inspection by proper fire authorities.

Given the diversity of the human species, there is no “normal” human genome sequence. We are all mutants.
PRBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 11:10 AM   #6
beamie

Phil and Mugz,

That sounds about what I want to do. WRT code or whatever you want to it I just want to prevent an accident if something stupid happened to slow a fire down.......just cutting a hole and putting a register without a auto damper I can see the insurance co just loving that......even if the stove is installed correctly but hole cut later.

I think just natural circ will be fine. But Mugz if you could get me that info from your Buddy I would appreciate that.

Jon, 24' Nauset-Green Topsides, Beamie, North River. Channel 68/69. MSBA, NIBA
beamie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 11:17 AM   #7
Mugz

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamie View Post
Phil and Mugz,

That sounds about what I want to do. WRT code or whatever you want to it I just want to prevent an accident if something stupid happened to slow a fire down.......just cutting a hole and putting a register without a auto damper I can see the insurance co just loving that......even if the stove is installed correctly but hole cut later.

I think just natural circ will be fine. But Mugz if you could get me that info from your Buddy I would appreciate that.
Next time I am over there....I will get make and model and take a picture for you. Possibly today.
Mugz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 12:21 PM   #8
Fly Rod

Check with your local fire department about fire code in your area...most go by state codes...

"When its not about money,it's all about money."...
Fly Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 11:58 AM   #9
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Check with your Building Inspector first then double check what he says with your insurance company. The only thing the FD is concerned with is if the woodstove is installed correctly.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 12:30 PM   #10
Liv2Fish

Cutting in a grate would certainly let the heat rise and AC sink, so you'll want something you can regulate. I'm sure there is a product made for it. Sounds like Someone's got you pointed in the right direction there.

To truly protect yourself from any future denial of claim, you may need permits for the work as you are modifying a fire separation assembly (the floor). I would ask that of your insurance co.

A permit is the only thing you will get in writing from an AHJ that says you asked how to properly do this and they approved it.

Yes, a pain in the ass and it will add some cost but your question was about how to do it and protect your assets.

"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children"
Liv2Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 01:18 PM   #11
Fly Rod

when cutting a hole in the floor for heat to rise I would think U would also need a cold air return hole futher away as the warm air turns cold and falls to floor level...U need circulation...

"When its not about money,it's all about money."...
Fly Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 08:10 PM   #12
Pete F.
Canceled

Here is the secret method, well it works for rooms on the same level. Hang a curtain on one of those expandable curtain rods in the open doorway with space above and below. Helps to set up a convective loop.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Pete F. is offline   Reply With Quote