Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » Favorite Threads

Favorite Threads Some of S-B's Favorite Threadsa over the years

Closed Thread

Old 05-11-2001, 07:34 AM   #31
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

No Patrick, not your fault that the server puked. But no royalties either.

GS and yumdrum, It doesn't make any difference if you try to reason with him as an adult, a friend, enemy, or as you would talk to a child. It makes no difference. But when he truly thinks up things that will get himself or others injured or killed, some counterpoint, whether friendly, brotherly and at times nasty, goes up. I don't like the idea of him putting himself up as a sideshow here either, intentionally or not, but he hasn't broken the rules. He just talks out of his arse half the time. The other half of time he's fine (maybe even pleasant?, Naw, won't go that far). Matter of fact, he probably dreams this stuff purely for his enjoyment of the reaction he would get, aka Bill Nolan style (at least when it comes to stirring the pot, there is no comparison in the fishing department). He could be laughing his tail off for the past three years with all of this stuff (I'm watching you Patrick, I understand now, I know your normal and have been doing all this for the pure commedy factor) He may actually be perfectly fine, have a job, whatever.

I'm not a therapist, if any of you are, please come out of the woodwork and say hello (or something).

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 05-11-2001, 08:26 AM   #32
Jaiem

Patrick - I'm a certified SCUBA diver with hundreds of dives logged around the world. Spear fishing for blackfish or grouper or similar is one thing. Tying into a multi-hundred pound tuna is another.

I was on a dive boat out of VA beach a few years ago when a school a big amberjacks showed up. One guy jumped in with his spear gun and harpooned one. It nearly dragged him out to sea! Even when they did get him and the fish on the deck everyone had to pound on the thing to subdue it! (it was a very caveman-like scene! wish I had a camcorder)

Free diving is much more than just how long you can hold your breath under water. In some ways it's even riskier than SCUBA since you don't have an air supply. There are all kinds of risks: Air embolism, shallow water blackout, lung injuries, just to name a few. These guys who free dive for tuna are highly trained and disciplined athletes. Thier bodies are heavily conditioned for endurance w/o O2. And some do, unfortunatley, get injured or worse. You don't hear very much about them.

Be careful!

ps - It's not a record nor the largest I've taken but it sure beat the heck out of me!

[img=http://www.oceanviewhost.com/fishing/viking_tuna_jf265_anf.jpg]
Old 05-11-2001, 10:06 AM   #33
Roccus

Quote:
yumdrum (05-11-2001 08:11):
I think you all need to leave this kid alone. If he has a crazy idea to do this, then so be it. I dont see where he asked for the ignorant comments.
People thought the WRIGHT BROTHERS were crazy. Now they have this hugh memorial on the OBX where it all began. Patrick is not the one that needs to grow up, its everyone else.
Yumdrum? That wouldn't be you incognito, now would it, Patrick? There's a familiar rhythm in the wording of your post...and no e-mail address listed in your profile. Hmmmm....your alter ego, Patrick?

Jerry Vovcsko\res ipsa loquitor
Old 05-11-2001, 12:00 PM   #34
Saltheart

Yumdrum,
Welcome to the board.

Nice first post. Most people come on and say Hi for their first post. You come on and tell us we all have a problem. What's more probable.... everyone here has a problem or...you haven't got a clue what you are talking about?

This is the most tolerant group of people I've seen on any fishing message board. No where does Patrick get to say what he wants more than he does here. However , forgive us if we decide not to swallow everything he posts.

People get to say almost anything they want here. If some chose to post outrageous stuff , they must remember that others may get outrageous in their replies. In many cases , the only reason some posts are made is to see how everyone will respond. It can be fun sometimes but it can also be a pain in the butt.

This is intended to be a forum for serious surf fisherman. We aren't going to allow a few people with too much time on their hands to turn it into a refugee camp for kids catching skipjacks in a marina parking lot. You can post whatever you want within the guidelines set down by the board rules. However , if you would post foolish stuff , be prepared for foolish replies.

Suppose someone comes to this site for the first time and reads all about "Fishing Patrick Style". If they are a serious fisherman , they won't come back. If they don't have a clue they may actually go down to the ocean and try some of "Patrick's Preachings". They won't catch fish and they might get hurt. We don't want either to happen.

So please just tolerate all us people with problems. Normal guys like you and Patrick can cheer eachother on and just ignore or work your way around what the rest of us have to say. Just as we must tolerate "Patrick's Ponderings" , you must tolerate our foolishness when we tell someone to stick an eel on a hook and cast it out into the darkness. We get to express our opinions too.

So welcome aboard yumdrum. Please use you brain for a second before you use the keyboard for post number 2.
Old 05-11-2001, 12:23 PM   #35
STEVE IN MASS

Thank you, Saltheart. Now I don't have to keep my fingers off the keyboard trying to not say what I was gonna.
Old 05-11-2001, 01:17 PM   #36
schoolie monster

I agree Steve, though I'd like to add a point, or rather, reiterate a point made by Saltheart... assuming of course that yumdrum is really a new entry, or even if its patrick or a closet patrick toadie...

Before judging the rest of us, do a search and sample some of patrick's many pioneering ideas. From bait delivery systems to tricycle beach buggies to radio flyers for carrying gear, we've heard it all... or so we thought.

No we learn of this great idea in which someone kyaks out to stellwagon bank carrying a big red and white bobber dragging chunk and patrick uses shoelaces off his keds to tie himself to a folding kmart beach chair waiting for a 500lb. bluefin to drag him into the surf while we all watch and take bets on whether or not he's ever seen again, then celebrate his demise with a kick @$$ clam bake.

These posts are put out here to get a rise. We all know it, and the author knows it. The author gets alot of attention and we get to have some fun and blow some steam.

Bottom line, if pat doesn't want to get hacked on, he shouldn't post a bunch of manure.
Old 05-11-2001, 01:45 PM   #37
coolerpup

Well if Patrick uses these post just to get a rise out of people, most of you are on the hook.
Saltheart I agree with your point on new people visiting this site and seeing his post then trying it. Not good at all. Oh, and no this is not Patrick or one of his so called followers. My email is yumdrum@aol.com for anyone that is interested. I thought it was there.
Just looking at patricks first post, I dont agree with sending him to the hangmans noose. If we know he is a kid, then yes it is the people replyng that need to grow up, and not feed into it.
This is my last post on this subject.

Oh yea. Hi everyone. I am new to this site. I hope to get alot from your advice and to offer my own opinions as well.

Coolerpup

ps. I wanted to use the name coolerpup not yumdrum, so i hope this does not confuse any of you.
Old 05-11-2001, 02:21 PM   #38
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Welcome to the wonderfull world of Striped-Bass.Com Coolerpup aka Yumdrum... Sorry to see you start up on this thread but, no problema... I honestly do agree with Saltheart on this, but this isn't the first time and probably won't be the last. Still a great bunch of guys and gals here...

As far as Patrick goes? All I will say is, do a search for "dog run" in StriperTalk as that will give you a glimpse... I know valid ideas are called crazy ideas all of the time but, well, let's just say that there is a regular history of irregularities... Anyway, beating a dead horse... Aw heck, here is the link to one of many regadring the "Dog Run":
http://65.2.162.230/cgi-bin/StriperTalk/UltraBoard.cgi?action=Read&BID=1&TID=5758&P=1&SID= 492#ID12
The sad thing is, it's not even his idea...

Seriously, Welcome aboard, 95% of the people here are reall nice, Schoolie Monster has a mean streak on occasion. I think it's the Albert Bell shirt he wears all the time, really fires him up :P ....

Where are you from?? Whaddaya like to fish for??

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 05-11-2001, 02:39 PM   #39
schoolie monster

The albert belle shirt is falling to pieces, so it may need replaced. Plus, he's "retired" and I'm far from it.

Carl Everett? Ray Lewis? R-R-Rogah Clements? No, that shirt will get my butt kicked... or beaned with a 92mph live eel. I'm open for suggestions.

Who is the new spokesperson for the much maligned, misunderstood, biggest jerk in the world of sports.

Anyway, I agree, Patrick wins when we give him his attention. But take it for what its worth, most of it is pretty lighthearted, but hey, this isn't a needlepoint message board. We're all crusty, dirty shirt wearing, scarred and gnarled fisherpeople... most of us severly lacking in sensitivity training. If you're looking for peace and daisy's, try www.peta.com... or try the flyfishing board!

Yes, that's a joke... at least I amuse myself.
Old 05-11-2001, 05:48 PM   #40
Patrick

First of all, Jaiem, nice fish. Nice shot too. That world record bluefin tuna actually only took 15 minutes. One shot I think, right behind the gill plate. Died pretty instantly. What kind of spear gun do you use? I was looking at an Omer or Riffe but I don't want to wind up with a bluewater gun and put my shaft right through some poor blackfish.

Second, I'm not Yumdrum. I've been asleep for the past 10 hours. Weird hours I tell you.

Anyways, from the get-go, I told you that this was suicidal. Most of you knew that anyways.

I'm not going to add anymore to this post. People have made their point. Unfortunately, I can't find anyone else who wants to do this so I guess the whole deal is off.

While I'm not upset that other people took shots at me on this site or the other one. I am upset people have assumed I meant I was going to do this from Fairfield beaches. People have made all these assumptions which are wrong.

ANYWAY....
Old 05-11-2001, 11:45 PM   #41
Jenn

well I know I shouldn't beat a dead horse either but I guess I havent learned how to control that yet.....

first of all as much as I hate to bring it up....Patrick, you were the one who suggested a very dangerous alternative to wader tracction methods and if yumdrum saw this post chances are I think any one in their right miond would tell you that your suggestion was insane...nuff said there.....

secondly I have in the past tried to offer kind advice towards Patrick to no avail, he struck again. Personally I think that if he just stoppes trying to get all this crazy attention we might actually enjoy his posts, and who knows Patrick, just being normal instead of outrageous might help with your S.A.D.......what comes around goes around, and behavior mimicks behavior.....

and last but not least I would like to commend Jaiem for a tactful post......by that I mean he SHOWED us his catch (unless it is a hoax, but somehow I doubt that) which tells us he has actually DONE THIS and isnt talking out the pucker valve...he simply stated that it is very dangerous and some reasons why (a saying comes to mind.."take it from someone that knows" ) and if that doesnt get a message across than I suppose there probably isnt much that will

we all come out with some funky things now and then and mostly just to have some fun with it, but it seems as though Patrick has brought us to a point of no return. He has come out with so much poopy in the past that I honestly think his tweaked ideas are truly reality for him (and I hope someday he will be cured because it truly is sad)

well sorry to offend anyone but that is just my opinion, and forgive the typos....I have about eight hours sleep in the past three nights combined....I am cranky and that is when my true feelings really come out...and boy watch out because when that happens ....somehow that shy part of my personality dissapears and I dont hold anything back.

now if you will excuse me I am going to try once again to catch some z's and boy I sure hope the insomnia doesnt kick in again because unlike SOME people I need to get up and go to work in the morning to pay my own bills, taxes and not be a burden to the household.

at 26 I can only DREAM of doing a fraction of the things that Patrick has claimed to have done already in his life....if all these things are true he has had a very fullfilling and privelegded life so far........call me bitter, but it sure must be nice....
Old 05-12-2001, 01:15 AM   #42
Patrick

Jenn,

First of all, the traction thing was for digging into the sand a little more, not for sticking to rocks. If you wear Korkers on the sand, you know the gap between bootfoot and the korker will get filled up with sand and when you step, it causes a lot of extra weight. What I was saying is to use the Shoe Goo instead of Korkers on sand for that purpose. Perhaps I wasn't clear.

Second, I never said I did any tuna fishing, did I? No, I don't think I did. I know this plan is dangerous. I KNOW it is. I stated it right from the start. I know I could be tangling with a thousand pound beast. (World Record Bluefin is a 1150 lb something) I'm not saying I would be get a fish that big, I might be skunked for all I know. I know the risks. I know I could be killed. I could also walk outside and get slammed by a bus.

Now Jaiem did show me his fish and it's a dandy. Maybe someday I'll spear something like that one day.

It's funny. John says he sees a lot of dreaming and no doing. Jenn says she sees me bringing my dreams into reality. Hmmmm. Chances are, I won't be able to do this since no one wants to help out and this is obviously not a one person job.

Hey Jaiem, where do you dive? I'm getting interested in Free diving again. Might spear some blackfish or fluke while I'm down there.
Old 05-12-2001, 09:19 AM   #43
Slipknot
Super Moderator

I knew you weren't going to do this from Farfield, but others were just busting you about it. The best chance at a bluefin from shore would be the cape cod canal - east end like I said. If you came up with the equipment(with mono not braid) , I'm sure you can find some help around the ditch there's always plenty of people fishing there. But like it was said before, get some experience out on the offshore boats, those fish are nothing to mess with. Most every year someone at the ditch chunking the bottom hooks up to a bluefin and gets spooled, the tuna probably doesn't even realize it's hooked.
Old 05-13-2001, 09:13 PM   #44
Jenn

whatever....

Claim to know it all or want to do it all or whatever else just happens to come up........get razzed for it......then get defensive and claim you never said the things you said or just completely change your whole story around to make it look as if you meant something totally different by it....

whatever......
Old 08-06-2007, 09:48 PM   #45
Slipknot
Super Moderator

for MikeP

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Old 08-06-2007, 10:11 PM   #46
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

Some long-lost names here, too. Jaiem, Jerry "roccus" Vov, and so on.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Closed Thread