Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 11-21-2006, 07:30 PM   #31
BW from AZ

"I am calling for a boycott of US Airways because I'm not going to stay silent," said Shahin

All the more reason to fly on U.S. Air for me. I allways say a silent prayer when flying. If some one gets nervous and i get asked to disembark and explain so be it. I still feel safer. That said, I also have a good friend who just retired from the military and spent time in "the middle east". He has strong feelings for the people over there. He said "You cant judge an entire country by a few extremest. When the average person comes up to you and says thank you with tears in their eyes you know we are doing the right thing". That killed my argument with him on that subject. BW
Old 11-21-2006, 08:24 PM   #32
stripersnipr

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Sounds like political correctness run amok.

-spence
You can choose to remain neutral against the threat of Islamic Terrorism, I wont. And I also will not accept your belief that we are the cause of Muslim extremism.
Old 11-21-2006, 08:30 PM   #33
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripersnipr View Post
You can choose to remain neutral against the threat of Islamic Terrorism, I wont. And I also will not accept your belief that we are the cause of Muslim extremism.
I don't think I ever laid blame with the USA, you just choose to read it that way.

And to be frank, I'd wager I think it's a larger threat than you do.

-spence
Old 11-21-2006, 08:31 PM   #34
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripersnipr View Post
I guess the difference is some of us tend to empathize with the Flight Crew, Pilots and Passengers who felt, threatened, uncomfortable and suspicious while some of us tend to empathize with those causing those feelings.
Well, you're either misreading everything I'm writing or just trying to get a rise out of me. I'll stick with the most substantive posts...

-spence
Old 11-21-2006, 08:32 PM   #35
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by basswipe View Post
The very life YOU enjoy is in 100% violation of Islam and nothing you can say will EVER change a Muslim's mind...always remember that you,your wife/kids are subject to death under Islamic law simply because you are an AMERICAN.
Wipe, this is seriously flawed...or ignorant. Perhaps you're just trying to get a rise out of me as well. I'll pass.

-spence
Old 11-22-2006, 07:35 AM   #36
Bronko

Quote:
Source?

-spence
It was from a link I followed from the Minnepolis Star Tribune, to a link....to a link...to a link. Didn't footnote it. But we all do this right?

"Is it so difficult to believe?

Go do your own reading, I don't remember where I read it...I'm sure you can find a lot of stuff online.

-spence"

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. ~John Buchan
Old 11-22-2006, 09:49 AM   #37
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronko View Post
It was from a link I followed from the Minnepolis Star Tribune, to a link....to a link...to a link. Didn't footnote it. But we all do this right?
I wouldn't say paraphrasing a sentence from memory is the same as posting an entire diatribe with no source.

Besides, I did look and came up with nothing similar.

Sorry Charlie

As an aside, I did see the video of the Imams, looked like a bunch of normal middle age men.

-spence
Old 11-22-2006, 12:15 PM   #38
slapshot

Where did you look? Try Google. Its on the first page like the article says.

bluefish Jihadist
Old 11-22-2006, 12:20 PM   #39
stripersnipr

Quote:
I wouldn't say paraphrasing a sentence from memory is the same as posting an entire diatribe with no source.

Besides, I did look and came up with nothing similar.

Sorry Charlie

As an aside, I did see the video of the Imams, looked like a bunch of normal middle age men.

-spence
Spence do you actually find this hard to believe?
Old 11-22-2006, 06:14 PM   #40
basswipe

Quote:
Wipe, this is seriously flawed...or ignorant. Perhaps you're just trying to get a rise out of me as well. I'll pass.

-spence
How is this flawed?Explain.

You as a non-persecuted person can NEVER understand.Trust me.Ask my parents,grand-parents,great grand-parents.No one group has been more persecuted by Muslims than Armenians so please stop while you're behind.Sorry Spence but you are treading on insanely thin ground if you possilbly think you know what its like to be religiously persecuted.

Take the time and truly research what organized religion has done for humanity.Everything I posted is 100% true from the Catholic Slaughter of the Cathars to the 3500 American deaths by Muslims on 9/11.

The same question still stands:Isn't enough to just believe?

And yes the life you enjoy IS IN VIOLATION of Islamic law.

Last edited by basswipe; 11-22-2006 at 06:19 PM..
Old 11-22-2006, 06:32 PM   #41
spence

Quote:
How is this flawed?Explain.
I'm well aware of what has happened to Armenian people over the years...but I'd also add that those same Turks (who still deny any genocide amazingly enough) have one of the most successful moderate democratic governments in the Islamic world!

Quote:
And yes the life you enjoy IS IN VIOLATION of Islamic law.
No, it really isn't. Because some cleric or Islamic leader makes an anti-US statement in the hopes of inciting people doesn't mean they speak for Islam.

I'll let the anecdotal evidence speak for itsself. 1.4 BILLION Muslims in the world today and how many are really out to do you and my families harm? A handfull perhaps...

Of the several MILLION Muslims living in the United States, even in Tiverton, Rhode Island...how many have resorted to violence in the name of Islamic Law?

You'd think we'd be dodging stones on the way to Grand Central Market!

Either they aren't very serious about their religion or the statement is flawed.

-spence
Old 11-22-2006, 06:55 PM   #42
basswipe

Quote:
I'm well aware of what has happened to Armenian people over the years...but I'd also add that those same Turks (who still deny any genocide amazingly enough) have one of the most successful moderate democratic governments in the Islamic world!

No, it really isn't. Because some cleric or Islamic leader makes an anti-US statement in the hopes of inciting people doesn't mean they speak for Islam.

I'll let the anecdotal evidence speak for itsself. 1.4 BILLION Muslims in the world today and how many are really out to do you and my families harm? A handfull perhaps...

Of the several MILLION Muslims living in the United States, even in Tiverton, Rhode Island...how many have resorted to violence in the name of Islamic Law?

You'd think we'd be dodging stones on the way to Grand Central Market!

Either they aren't very serious about their religion or the statement is flawed.

-spence
Are you on Crack?The most successful democratic Islamic government?!Please don't insult me or my ancestors.The Turks "success" as you put it is on the backs and DEATHS of Armenians.Don't speak of what you have no clue about.You are not an Armenian and have never been there and seen how they've lived for the past 100yrs since the Turks committed their genocide.I have seen it.My parents,grand-parents and great grand-parents LIVED it.

You speak of 1.4 billion Muslims.That's 1.4 million people who don't live like you.

Again isn't it just enough to believe?Answer:no.When it comes to organized religion the old adage "its my way or the highway".

I will not respond to this thread again.My suggestion to you Spence is never speak of Armenian Genocide ever again until you speak to an Armenian(who lived it).And if you say you have already then that makes you a...
Old 11-22-2006, 09:04 PM   #43
spence

Quote:
Are you on Crack?The most successful democratic Islamic government?!Please don't insult me or my ancestors.The Turks "success" as you put it is on the backs and DEATHS of Armenians.Don't speak of what you have no clue about.You are not an Armenian and have never been there and seen how they've lived for the past 100yrs since the Turks committed their genocide.I have seen it.My parents,grand-parents and great grand-parents LIVED it.
I didn't say "the most"...I said one of the most...and Turkey is a pretty serious US ally...regardless of what abuse or tragedy the Armenian people have endured under their abuse...this is still the fact and a serious component to current events.

Stating this doesn't lessen the suffering of the Armenian people one bit. Perhaps even it amplifies it as most Americans don't have a clue as to what an Armenian is! Seriously...

Quote:
You speak of 1.4 billion Muslims.That's 1.4 million people who don't live like you.
It's a lot more than that.

Quote:
I will not respond to this thread again.My suggestion to you Spence is never speak of Armenian Genocide ever again until you speak to an Armenian(who lived it).And if you say you have already then that makes you a...
I'd add that 1/2 of my family is Jewish and I'm actually a member of the Cherokee tribe. While I'd admit you may have closer ties to such suffering, it's not a monopoly.

But to the point. What happened in Turkey during WWI, while important in it's context, doesn't seem to be a major contributor to recent events.

-spence