Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » DIY - Forum

DIY - Forum Do It Yourself for Non-Fishing Items

Old 03-05-2012, 09:49 AM   #1
american spirit
Formerly the_shocker

Roofing

Not looking to do a roofing on my own. But figured this would be the most appropriate forum. I'll heard really bad stories about roofers, ridiculous prices, and poor craftsmanship.

I need a new roof. Asphalt is in the gutters and shingles look worn. No leaks yet. Can anyone lead me in the right direction for people who do work in the north shore. Looking for quality roofers who can problem solve through a few potential issues. Possible plywood and beam rot, need for a ridge vent, need for new gutters
american spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 10:03 AM   #2
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Your roof is a piece of cake, in terms of pitch. Very walkable. First you need to figure out how many layers are on there currently. If only one, you can go over with a second new layer. Given that this is not your 30 year home, that would be your best alternative. Otherwise it is a rip and re-roof, withice and water, and some plywood replacement. Depends on your issues.... I recall there were some undulating waves across your roof... Granules in gutter happens on a regular basis.
Start by figuring out the area in units of 100 sq ft. That is referred to as a square. Also want to figure your pitch. Get some local estimates. Some very good guys can do the estimate from the ground, but I prefer them to get up there and walk it. I have a couple guys that will come out to give you a price if you don't find someone you are comfortable with locally.
Gutters done afterwards. Need to consider the fascias before doing roof though. I have gutter company drop the gutter, cut to length at the site, with all the accessories.

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:56 AM   #3
american spirit
Formerly the_shocker

i have 2 layers on now. granuals in the gutter all the time. i'm going to talk with some neighbors and see what kind of info i get.
Old 03-05-2012, 11:58 AM   #4
american spirit
Formerly the_shocker

i think i'm getting more concerned because everyone that comes to visit me always says "how old is your roof?" "it looks like you'll need a new one soon." now leaks yet though.
Old 03-05-2012, 01:32 PM   #5
trevier

2 layers, strip it, can't go over it due to fire code. Also, pricing for roofing is going to get tricky due to rising costs of fuel. Right now a price without looking at your roof would be around 325-350 a square stripped and re-roofed with a 30year architectural shingle. Plywood I get around 40$ a sheet to install, that's a 5 ply fir plywood,
trevier is offline   Reply With Quote