Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » TUNA & Big Game

TUNA & Big Game TUNA - Offshore Fishing for Tuna and Other Big Game

Old 03-26-2013, 12:20 PM   #91
Rockport24
President - S-B Chapter - Kelly Clarkson Fan Club

I know .com is an airline pilot and I think Marciano pretty much fishes for anything and everything he can... but still it's gotta be damn tough to squeak out a living...
Rockport24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:50 PM   #92
Fly Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockport24 View Post
I know .com is an airline pilot and I think Marciano pretty much fishes for anything and everything he can... but still it's gotta be damn tough to squeak out a living...
Marciarno is doing very well....he is not commercial fishing like he use to...he is chartered out for the summer....he is the best liked fisherman on the show.....u notice he does not belittle the others....next year they R in the planning stages for 15 shows.....Marciarno may be going to Europe for Net Geo in the coming months...he is booked solid for apparences....he is having fun.
Fly Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:26 PM   #93
Rockport24

That's great to hear about Marciano, he really does seem like a great guy and a great family man! That episode when he brought home the thresher for his family really showed that.

Still, I think the claims of big money to be made on BFT are kind of suspect based on what I'm seeing!
Old 03-26-2013, 04:27 PM   #94
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

Send a message via Skype™ to PRBuzz
Quote:
Still, I think the claims of big money to be made on BFT are kind of suspect based on what I'm seeing!
NatGeo makes it seems like they fish once per week?

Given the diversity of the human species, there is no “normal” human genome sequence. We are all mutants.
PRBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:51 PM   #95
ThrowingTimber
It's about respect baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbones View Post
I hope he's not a professional dart player.
Bones owes me a monitor and a coffee

Domination takes full concentration..
ThrowingTimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:21 PM   #96
MakoMike

Quote:
That's great to hear about Marciano, he really does seem like a great guy and a great family man! That episode when he brought home the thresher for his family really showed that.

I only know one guy, who is not on the show, that actually makes a living from it. All of the guys on the show have other gigs. Dave Marciano is the only full time fisherman.

****MakoMike****

Http://www.Makomania.net

Official S-B Sponsor
MakoMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:24 AM   #97
Fly Rod

Rockport24: U once mentioned the highest guy making 50 thou...that is gross...take a minimum 20% off that for a mates pay...then there is the payment for off loading.....shipping to Japan...chum bait that they have to buy sometimes etc:

When they go to Georges from gloucester it is a 3,000 dollar cost to go and come back....U want to go broke....go tuna fishing for a living...its a great recreational sport where ya can pick up a few bucks if ya lucky and catch.

Mako Mike: Marciarno is to busy to commercial fish now a days...he is on a ride and knows the ride will end some day...he is enjoying the free limo's...plane fares...wine and dinning...U notice he has gotten a little heavier since the show started...he realizes it will all end some day and probably retun to commercial fishing.

He will be on his way to the country of Prague and Czechoslovakia very soon to shoot a seies there.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:49 AM   #98
Typhoon

Guys across my dock make a living from it.

They also have 3 boats and a plane.

-Andrew
Typhoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:44 AM   #99
MakoMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Rod View Post
Mako Mike: Marciarno is to busy to commercial fish now a days...he is on a ride and knows the ride will end some day...he is enjoying the free limo's...plane fares...wine and dinning...U notice he has gotten a little heavier since the show started...he realizes it will all end some day and probably retun to commercial fishing.

He will be on his way to the country of Prague and Czechoslovakia very soon to shoot a seies there.
Good for him!

****MakoMike****

Official S-B Sponsor
Old 03-27-2013, 11:12 AM   #100
MikeD

Everytime the Pinwheel mate or the Bounty Hunter Captain throw the harpoon I can't help but think of Lamar throwing the javelin in Revenge of the Nerds. Maybe they need a custom made harpoon like Lamar...
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:15 AM   #101
Fly Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoon View Post
Guys across my dock make a living from it.

They also have 3 boats and a plane.
There R a few harpooners here too....they do very well from the 1st of June....when U take the hundreds of boats on Stellwagon...Jefferies... here in the Bay... down to the Cape over all very few catch as in most any fishery....years past some X tuna boats would leave at mid nite never to return because they owed dockage and fuel...now a days there is very little credit,(I'll pay ya later.)

Enjoy the tuna fishing...have fun the season will be here soon....
Old 03-27-2013, 08:12 PM   #102
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
Quote:
There R a few harpooners here too....they do very well from the 1st of June....when U take the hundreds of boats on Stellwagon...Jefferies... here in the Bay... down to the Cape over all very few catch as in most any fishery....years past some X tuna boats would leave at mid nite never to return because they owed dockage and fuel...now a days there is very little credit,(I'll pay ya later.)

Enjoy the tuna fishing...have fun the season will be here soon....

There is a brand new BEAUTIFUL 33 Flowers just built and will be harpooning out of your port.
He replaced a 31 BHM with this AWESOME new boat.
I'm guessing you know or know of him.

LETS GO BRANDON
Raider Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:44 PM   #103
big jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
Everytime the Pinwheel mate or the Bounty Hunter Captain throw the harpoon I can't help but think of Lamar throwing the javelin in Revenge of the Nerds. Maybe they need a custom made harpoon like Lamar...
Perfect.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
big jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:39 AM   #104
Typhoon

Last edited by Typhoon; 03-28-2013 at 08:50 AM..

-Andrew
Typhoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:21 PM   #105
Rockport24

That's a classic movie!

Fly Rod - Yeah that's what I was thinking I can imagine the expenses just keep racking up which make it nearly impossible to make a living..

Marciano sounds like he deserves a nice ride!
Old 03-28-2013, 07:32 PM   #106
jasonsnova

i couldnt belive the bounty hunter last week....3.5 hrs on the rd to be snipped off by the bumbling captain with the harpoon! uhg...
they say he used to be a legend....im thinking there must of been alot of tuna around then....lol.
i love how he keeps saying hes gonna have to sell the boat if they dont catch a tuna...umm lets see he's got a 150+k boat another 5+k in gear ....yet he got how mant tuna last season and this year....what a joke
jasonsnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:26 AM   #107
Fly Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Ronnie View Post
There is a brand new BEAUTIFUL 33 Flowers just built and will be harpooning out of your port.
He replaced a 31 BHM with this AWESOME new boat.
I'm guessing you know or know of him.
I think that is Mike the fireman....he does very well harpooning...he also has backing....his wife is a doctor
Old 03-29-2013, 03:31 PM   #108
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:

Does he like/know you put all his business online? Just saying...

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
RIROCKHOUND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:41 PM   #109
Raider Ronnie

Quote:
I think that is Mike the fireman....he does very well harpooning...he also has backing....his wife is a doctor

Thats him.
Real nice guy !

LETS GO BRANDON
Old 03-29-2013, 04:47 PM   #110
Raider Ronnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassballer View Post
im wondering the same thing. Bounty Hunter has a 200K boat and all the expenses. Whats his offseason job?

Diesel truck dealer service manager.

LETS GO BRANDON
Old 03-29-2013, 04:53 PM   #111
Raider Ronnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonsnova View Post
i couldnt belive the bounty hunter last week....3.5 hrs on the rd to be snipped off by the bumbling captain with the harpoon! uhg...
they say he used to be a legend....im thinking there must of been alot of tuna around then....lol.
i love how he keeps saying hes gonna have to sell the boat if they dont catch a tuna...umm lets see he's got a 150+k boat another 5+k in gear ....yet he got how mant tuna last season and this year....what a joke

Don't believe everything you see one the show.
Each captain has his roll,character they play.

Like also how Paul Hebert now has his own boat.
The boat Lisa & Jake belongs to Kevin of Kayman charters and he's on the boat running it, just they don't show him on camera..

LETS GO BRANDON
Old 03-29-2013, 07:49 PM   #112
Fly Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
Does he like/know you put all his business online? Just saying...
it is all coffee shop talk with Dave and about a dozen of us there and who ever else comes through the door.... they love listening to him...there R private things that I do not say....and there R things he will not talk to any of us about.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:04 AM   #113
MakoMike

From the Gloucester Times:
Some of Gloucester’s favorite fishing captains will be back for a third season of reality television on National Geographic’s “Wicked Tuna,” based in the nation’s oldest seaport.

The show recently set ratings records in the network’s history with its April 21 episode when it scored a series-high, hooking in more than 1.2 million viewers. The first series hooked viewers around the globe, finding its way into 440 million homes in 171 countries and 38 languages.

Now, Season 3 means film crews will be in town again when the tuna season officially opens on June 1.

The local fishermen are thrilled at the success of the show and will be ready to battle it out again during the coming season as they hunt one of the “world’s smartest and fastest fish.”

The giant bluefin, which is at the top of the food chain, can weigh upwards of 1,500 pounds and exceed more than 10 feet in length. The fishermen, however, usually pull in fish between 400 and 800 pounds with just a rod, the way it has been done for centuries in a man vs. fish scenario.

Adding to the excitement of the hunt is the lucrative nature of the fishery, with one “monstah” fish bringing in upwards of $20,000, which creates rivalry among the fishermen, some whose livelihood depends on their success at sea. If a fishing vessel returns to shore with no fish, then the captain is out thousands of dollars in costs for fuel and provisions.

The second season — which concludes in the United States with a two-part season finale on May 5 and May 12 — is about to go global again.

To that end, Gloucester-based Capt. Dave Marciano was sent to Croatia a few weeks ago to film a promotional ad for the network for the premiere of Season 2 in Europe. For a fisherman who never travels anywhere, he enjoyed his trip to the Adriatic Sea and to a country where the ancient Romans once ruled.

The Wicked Tuna fans are diverse, from avid hunters and fishermen to concert pianists and college students. One new fan is Chris Cuomo, a newly appointed CNN anchor, who recently tweeted that he was “ridiculously pumped” for new episodes of the series.

The third season holds new surprises with Marciano taking to the seas in a newly outfitted boat, the Hard Merchandise, after it sank at the dock at the Gloucester Marine Railways last December when a fitting let go. Marciano was watching another reality show called “Moonshiners” at the time he got the call from the Coast Guard.

“After three months of extensive work, ‘Humpty Dumpty’ is officially back together again,” Marciano said of the boat, which was built in 1984 and which he bought used in the first place.

The newly refitted 37-foot Hard Merchandise is scheduled for its maiden voyage today when Marciano takes out press crews from Australia, Japan and France for a half-day trip our of Gloucester.

”The boat is better than ever. We put in a new engine, new wiring and new electronics,” Marciano said in a phone interview. “We anticipate a good season this year. But I have no excuses now because I won’t be fixing the boat all the time. That was my excuse last year.”

Marciano, whose own formal education ended with his diploma from Gloucester High in 1984, has tuition on his mind when he goes out fishing. His daughter Angelica is now in college and his son Joseph will graduate from Beverly High this June and start college in the fall. Joseph will work with his father aboard the boat during the Season 3 filming before he goes to St. Leo’s College in Florida to study business.

”I imagine that every fish I catch will be for tuition,” he joked. “Then I can whine about finances for two college students.”

Another Season 3 highlight is expected to feature the animated Paul Hebert as captain aboard his own boat. Hebert started out working as crew on other boats in the series. He is now captain of the fishing vessel Lisa & Jake as Season 3 comes to a close.

In season three, he will be aboard his own boat — the 42-foot “Wicked Pissah” — which is not yet in the water. The youngest of six boys, he said another highlight for him in the next season will be that his brother Bruce will come out of retirement to fish with him.

”He’s a legend of tuna fishing,” said Hebert.

Even though there is fierce competition on the seas, Hebert said that, out of water, fellow fisherman Dave Carraro, captain of the FV-Tuna.com, lent a helping hand when Hebert’s house in Vermont was destroyed from the deadly floods from Tropical Storm Irene that hit that August during the filming of Season 2. Carraro opened up his house until Hebert could get on his feet again.

Hebert also mentioned that his Facebook page has information on a benefit he is holding for a woman who is very ill, who he met when he was out looking for a boat and he wants to help her.

”I’m pumped to start Season 3,” he said. “I’m so glad to be able to do this.”

Capt. Dave Carraro echoed his sentiments.

”It’s a great thing. This started with a phone call almost three years ago and now we get to go back for a third season,” he said. “Plus it was Nat Geo’s No. 1 show. I never would have thought we’d be where we are at. I thought the show would do OK, but to go into Season 3, that’s very cool.”

****MakoMike****

Official S-B Sponsor
Old 05-01-2013, 12:35 PM   #114
Raider Ronnie

Nice.
One of them now has his own boat. ( was told his new boat is the 37 Duffy with modified keel and twin motors "Zoro" out of Scituate and winters in the parking lot @ Baypoint Marina in Quincy Ma.
Not bad for a pill popping dead beat dad collecting a gov disability !
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 05-01-2013, 12:36 PM   #115
Jim in CT

Thanks MakoMike, that was interesting. I had no idea the show was that popular.

I catch the show when I'm not doing anything else, I might watch 1 out of 4 episodes.

The last episode I saw, the pot-heads on the Pinwheel were doubled up. And when one guy wanted to call out to the other, instead of saying "hey", they were using some kind of bird call with each other..."ca-KAW...ca-KAW...". It was very strange.

Did they explain why they do that, instead of saying "yo!"?
Jim in CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 01:21 PM   #116
JackK
Not Jack

Wait a sec, wicked tuna isn't real??
JackK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 01:49 PM   #117
Fly Rod

Raider Ronnie....R we jumping to conclusion about this one person?....I'm not sticking up for that person....nothing has been done yet to this person if he is guilty....U R assuming or is this fact?...there R members on this website that when laid off from their job work on side while collecting unemployment....if on welfare how could he afford a boat....and I'm assuming that with the amount of members on this wedsite there R one or two pill poppers or druggies here....Have not heard about boat buying but will check it out if I can...R U sure that the company did not buy it and let him use it...that is a possibility.

Jim...just because of the way they dress does not necessarily mean they R potheads....today most of the country is on pot...U and I may be in the minority....not saying that U R not right but we do not know them...young people seem to do foolish things....we were young once.

Have a great day people....

Last edited by Fly Rod; 05-01-2013 at 01:55 PM..
Old 05-01-2013, 04:11 PM   #118
Jim in CT

Quote:
Jim...just because of the way they dress does not necessarily mean they R potheads....today most of the country is on pot...U and I may be in the minority....not saying that U R not right but we do not know them...young people seem to do foolish things....we were young once.

Have a great day people....
"just because of the way they dress does not necessarily mean they R potheads"

Agreed. I'm not making that speculation based just on how they dress. If it dresses like a duck, wears its hair like a duck, talks like a duck, and acts like a duck, it's a good bet it's a duck.

"most of the country is on pot"

I doubt that. I'm not saying it's rare, but no way does half the country smoke pot.

"young people seem to do foolish things....we were young once."

I have close friends who smoked pot when they were kids, I'm not condemning everyone who smokes pot. I'm saying that crew goes out of their way to be perceived as potheads. If you want to go out of your way to look and act like Zonker Harris from "Doonesbury", don't be shocked when people come to the only reasonable conclusion.

From the little I have seen of the show, those potheads kids can sure fish. And I always like it when the show switches from any boat to the Pinwheel, they usually have reggae music in the background.

ka-KAW, ka-KAW...I still am confused why they shout that...
Jim in CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:42 PM   #119
Sea Dangles

Niko was screaming that every time he hooked a cod; friggin' dopehead!

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Sea Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:52 PM   #120
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

Send a message via Skype™ to PRBuzz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
Niko was screaming that every time he hooked a cod; friggin' dopehead!
Glad he was on the "other" boat!

Given the diversity of the human species, there is no “normal” human genome sequence. We are all mutants.
PRBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote