Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Rod Building

Rod Building So, you've landed a nice fish on a plug you made, eh? Now, the next step, building your own RODS!

Old 03-07-2011, 07:54 AM   #1
Diggin Jiggin

blank suggestions. SSU or gsb ?

I'm building a new rod for using in the wetsuit throwing light bucktails, darters, metal lips, eels and topwater @ dawn. So it's got to be able to do a little bit of everything.

I typically use faster action rods with light tips like the light allstar (1085-2 and 1145-2) but 2 piece rods are not a good thing in a wetsuit.

I had been planning on building on a GSB 132 1L and maybe cutting it back from the butt a little bit, but when talking with George the other night I started to wonder if it would be too light. I built a 132 1M a few years ago and it wore me out and the tip was not as sensitive as my all stars.

I was wondering about the super surfs and if anyone has had experience with the SSU 120 1m blank?
Diggin Jiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 08:40 AM   #2
iamskippy

I have a GSB 132 1L i just got back from being wrapped and i think its going to do what you want it to, its amazingly light, the person that wrapped it for me cut 6 inches off the bottom as well. If you want i can prob meet up with you so you can check it out.
iamskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 12:03 PM   #3
SeaWolf

what's your lure range?

the ssu1201m really tops off at about 3 ounces. it's similar in action and power to the gsb1201L, but slightly faster and more powerful, but not as powerful as the gsb1201m. i think the ssu1201mh is a better option, but it will not PP as well as the gsb's or ssu1201m. it does, however, have better fish turning power and can throw up to 5 ounces. this is my #1 surf rod for doing everything. i always recommend a 10' rod when wetsuiting, unless you cannot find a blank that can handle the lure weight you want. for some reason, blank companies think that more lure/casting weight means a longer rod. just a note too, the second you cut a blank, your warranty from the manufacturer is void.
SeaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 01:11 PM   #4
Diggin Jiggin

Thanks for the info guys. Funny enough it turns out I have a friend who has one and I didn't know it. He offered to let me test cast his and see how it feels. It sounds like it should do what I want.

I tend to like faster rods so I'm really curious to see how it feels. I
should have mentioned range of what I throw is like 1.5-3 ish.
Diggin Jiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 02:24 PM   #5
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master

A 1321L would be fine at 1.5-3oz, but I'd agree it is probably longer than you need. I'd think it would also be very slow if cut from the butt (it bends way down almost to the handle as it is). I wouldn't worry about cutting a GSB, they don't seem very likely to break. I think the ssu120mh I use is a more powerful fish fighting tool than my GSB1321L. It is also less tiring to fish a 10 foot rod than an 11 footer. The SSU is not what I would call a "fast" blank, however. The xra 1204 is probably what you are looking for, but how that would standup to being highsticked landing a fish on a rock in a wetsuit, I'm not sure. Another blank to consider is the xra 1205, but it is too much rod for 1.5 oz (it likes 2.5-4). It has similar power to the ssu120mh, but is stiffer in the midsection, and faster at the tip. (often I wish I had the ssu set up conventional and the 1205 as a spinner).

I've got some of these 1321l, 1201l, 1205 (conventional), ssu120mh if you want to cast them.
numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 02:39 PM   #6
Islander77

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbskull View Post
A 1321L would be fine at 1.5-3oz, but I'd agree it is probably longer than you need. I'd think it would also be very slow if cut from the butt (it bends way down almost to the handle as it is). I wouldn't worry about cutting a GSB, they don't seem very likely to break. I think the ssu120mh I use is a more powerful fish fighting tool than my GSB1321L. It is also less tiring to fish a 10 foot rod than an 11 footer. The SSU is not what I would call a "fast" blank, however. The xra 1204 is probably what you are looking for, but how that would standup to being highsticked landing a fish on a rock in a wetsuit, I'm not sure. Another blank to consider is the xra 1205, but it is too much rod for 1.5 oz (it likes 2.5-4). It has similar power to the ssu120mh, but is stiffer in the midsection, and faster at the tip. (often I wish I had the ssu set up conventional and the 1205 as a spinner).
I've got some of these 1321l, 1201l, 1205 (conventional), ssu120mh if you want to cast them.
I have the 11 foot SSU wrapped convench and its a handfull when laid into... I didnt get the chance to really adjust to it before A tragic incident.. (its being replaced and rebuilt now) happened.. The heavier 120ssu think its a 2-6 rating a close friend has wrapped spinning.. And all I can say Is ive watched him pull in a 36# fish on it.. SSU blanks sem to have a fast tip till bout 13 inches down ( where mine became 3 pieces instead of one) More so the the 1205 xra I threw..

The 13 inch mark on my SSU and it turns to rebar...

And for the record I DONT BELIEVE Lamis ratings on blanks.. I have a 1201L custom wrapped convench and it throws to 4.5 not an issue.. most of my rods are Lami and the SSU is the only "fast" action one.. Ive never had a problem with the blanks themselves, Although also none of mine are factory rods either. Id say a 1201M GSB would do great for what he wants to do. or the 1321L .. I had an 1321L spin and it was great.. I personally think the SSU or the XRA tip wont stand up to be high sticked while wrestling with a fish in a wetsuit. Just my opinion..
Islander77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 05:33 PM   #7
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islander77 View Post
[. I personally think the SSU or the XRA tip wont stand up to be high sticked while wrestling with a fish in a wetsuit. Just my opinion..
I think the 11 foot SSU had/have a breakage issue (although not as high up the rod as you describe).
The 10 foot ssu120mh I have seems pretty tough over 2 years of hard use in Block Island type conditions.
Ditto on the Arras. The 1204 sounds suspect, but the 1205 is one very tough rod.
numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 06:14 PM   #8
stripermaineiac

I built both those rods for myself that Numbskull mentioned and have beat the living crap out of both of them and they've held up great. They work good with jigs to 6 oz and plugs down to 2 oz. The SSU MH is the rod I was using when I got that 54 in Rhody and it did a great job when both finess and muscle were needed.The 1205 Arra works great gettin me out there with the jigs when it's too tight to use an 11 ftr. in the canal.Ron
stripermaineiac is offline   Reply With Quote