Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 10-02-2019, 09:50 AM   #1
scottw

this is so effed

The Fairfax County Police Department has suspended an officer for detaining and turning the driver in an accident over to Immigration and Customs Enforcement on Saturday in violation of the department’s policy not to assist ICE with civil enforcement.

The driver lacked a Virginia driver’s license, so the officer who responded to the accident ran a Department of Motor Vehicles check and discovered that ICE had issued a civil violation to the individual for failing to appear for a deportation hearing, according to Fairfax County police.

The officer verified the ICE warrant and contacted the ICE agent listed as the point of contact, who came to the scene of the traffic crash. The officer gave the driver a ticket for driving without a license but continued to detain the individual until the ICE agent took over custody.

Fairfax County Police Chief Edwin Roessler lamented the incident and said the officer is being disciplined.

“This is an unfortunate issue where the officer was confused,” the police chief said, according to the Washington Post. “We have trained on this issue a lot. This is the first time we’ve had a lapse in judgment, and the officer is being punished.”

The officer has been relieved of all law-enforcement duties pending an internal investigation.
Old 10-02-2019, 10:55 AM   #2
Jim in CT

it really is bonkers. wonder what stance his union will take...
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 10-02-2019, 11:24 AM   #3
spence

Sounds like the officer needs a refresher.

Now this is effed

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/latino/...3nw7S1RsvSEPKM
Old 10-02-2019, 11:36 AM   #4
Nebe

He should have just shot the bad hombre. Isn’t that what Cheato suggested?
Old 10-02-2019, 11:50 AM   #5
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Sounds like the officer needs a refresher.

Now this is effed

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/latino/...3nw7S1RsvSEPKM
a refresher on what, the notion that we only enforce the laws we like?
Old 10-02-2019, 12:00 PM   #6
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
a refresher on what, the notion that we only enforce the laws we like?
On departmental policy
Old 10-02-2019, 12:03 PM   #7
Jim in CT

Quote:
On departmental policy
Again, you're OK then, with police departments deciding which laws they will help enforce, and which they will help people violate? Some day they may decide to ignore laws you happen to like.
Old 10-02-2019, 12:08 PM   #8
spence

Quote:
Again, you're OK then, with police departments deciding which laws they will help enforce, and which they will help people violate? Some day they may decide to ignore laws you happen to like.
Local PD doesn't enforce federal law Jim.
Old 10-02-2019, 12:28 PM   #9
Sea Dangles

Quote:
But they routinely assist Jeff.
It takes a village you know.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 10-02-2019, 12:30 PM   #10
Jim in CT

Quote:
True, which is why I said "help enforce". SO stop being obtuse, you're OK with individual departments telling federal law enforcement that there are some duly constituted federal law which they'll help enforce, and some duly constituted federal law they won't help enforce? And they'll use personal political beliefs to determine which laws they'll help enforce, and which they won't?
Old 10-02-2019, 01:34 PM   #11
scottw

spence would throw the cop in jail and give the guy in the country illegally driving around with no drivers license and no insurance while ignoring a warrant for avoiding his deportation hearing his very own drivers license, free healthcare and probably a host of other goodies in the hopes he'd vote democrat
Old 10-02-2019, 01:50 PM   #12
spence

Quote:
True, which is why I said "help enforce". SO stop being obtuse, you're OK with individual departments telling federal law enforcement that there are some duly constituted federal law which they'll help enforce, and some duly constituted federal law they won't help enforce? And they'll use personal political beliefs to determine which laws they'll help enforce, and which they won't?
You mean like states passing laws allowing for marijuana even though it's still illegal Federally?
Old 10-02-2019, 02:06 PM   #13
Jim in CT

Quote:
You mean like states passing laws allowing for marijuana even though it's still illegal Federally?
not really, no, because VA doesn’t have a codified state law saying it’s legal to enter the country illegally.
Old 10-02-2019, 02:24 PM   #14
Pete F.
Canceled

I assume all who think every law should be enforced perform a citizens arrest on themselves any time they exceed the speed limit and if an officer gives them a ticket makes sure they issue it for the correct speed, or the correct violation.

Here's some other federal laws that could be enforced to save us, because law is good.

16 USC §551 & 36 CFR §261.16(c) make it a crime to wash a fish at a faucet if it's not a fish-washing faucet, in a national forest.

18 USC 2383
"Whoever incites... any rebellion or insurrection against the authority of the United States... shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than ten years, or both; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States."(https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...77539653771264)

18 U.S.C. §1657 makes it a federal crime to consult with a known pirate.

18 U.S.C. §1865 & 36 C.F.R. §2.15(a)(4) make it a federal crime to let your pet make a noise that scares the wildlife in a national park.

21 USC §333 & 21 CFR §102.39 make it a crime to sell onion rings resembling normal onion rings, but made from diced onion, without saying so

49 U.S.C. §46316(a) & 14 C.F.R. §105.7(a) make it a federal crime to skydive while drunk. (PS you won't get me to jump out of a perfectly good airplane sober)

27 USC §§205, 207 & 27 CFR §4.64(a)(8) make it a federal crime to advertise wine in a manner that suggests it has intoxicating qualities.

7 USC §1011(f) & 36 CFR §261.4(b) make it a crime to say something so annoying to someone that it makes them hit you in a national forest.

15 U.S.C. §§330a & 330d make it a federal crime to attempt to change the weather without telling the Secretary of Commerce. ( I assume Trump told Wilber before he wielded the Sharpie)

27 U.S.C. §207, §205(e) & 27 C.F.R. §4.39(a)(9) make it a federal crime to sell wine with a brand name including the word "zombie."

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 10-02-2019, 02:28 PM   #15
scottw

Peto you are an idiot
Old 10-02-2019, 02:34 PM   #16
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
I assume all who think every law should be enforced perform a citizens arrest on themselves any time they exceed the speed limit and if an officer gives them a ticket makes sure they issue it for the correct speed, or the correct violation.

Here's some other federal laws that could be enforced to save us, because law is good.

16 USC §551 & 36 CFR §261.16(c) make it a crime to wash a fish at a faucet if it's not a fish-washing faucet, in a national forest.

18 USC 2383
"Whoever incites... any rebellion or insurrection against the authority of the United States... shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than ten years, or both; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States."(https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...77539653771264)

18 U.S.C. §1657 makes it a federal crime to consult with a known pirate.

18 U.S.C. §1865 & 36 C.F.R. §2.15(a)(4) make it a federal crime to let your pet make a noise that scares the wildlife in a national park.

21 USC §333 & 21 CFR §102.39 make it a crime to sell onion rings resembling normal onion rings, but made from diced onion, without saying so

49 U.S.C. §46316(a) & 14 C.F.R. §105.7(a) make it a federal crime to skydive while drunk. (PS you won't get me to jump out of a perfectly good airplane sober)

27 USC §§205, 207 & 27 CFR §4.64(a)(8) make it a federal crime to advertise wine in a manner that suggests it has intoxicating qualities.

7 USC §1011(f) & 36 CFR §261.4(b) make it a crime to say something so annoying to someone that it makes them hit you in a national forest.

15 U.S.C. §§330a & 330d make it a federal crime to attempt to change the weather without telling the Secretary of Commerce. ( I assume Trump told Wilber before he wielded the Sharpie)

27 U.S.C. §207, §205(e) & 27 C.F.R. §4.39(a)(9) make it a federal crime to sell wine with a brand name including the word "zombie."
enforcing speed
limits is up to cops judgment. that’s not nearly the same thing as telling police they are forbidden from ever cooperating with ICE, this is giving cops less judgment.
Old 10-02-2019, 02:53 PM   #17
Sea Dangles

Pete’s a couple French fries short of a happy meal.
Old 10-02-2019, 02:55 PM   #18
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
enforcing speed
limits is up to cops judgment. that’s not nearly the same thing as telling police they are forbidden from ever cooperating with ICE, this is giving cops less judgment.
Want to bet the rule says if in doubt call your superior?

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Lets Go Darwin
Old 10-02-2019, 03:00 PM   #19
Sea Dangles

Officers are just used to cooperating for the good of all. If you get pulled over and they discover a warrant for a serious offense,they may even separate you from your child.🙀
Old 10-02-2019, 03:06 PM   #20
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
Want to bet the rule says if in doubt call your superior?
pete, an american police officer helped the feds get a guy who didn’t just come illegally and then obey all laws. he drove without a license, and skipped a court date. he helped the feds get a guy they had a fugitive warrant on.

republicans say the cop deserves an atta boy.

liberals say he deserves to get suspended.

on this issue, i like my sides position. last i checked, the state of VA was still part of the country.
Old 10-02-2019, 03:07 PM   #21
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
Officers are just used to cooperating for the good of all. If you get pulled over and they discover a warrant for a serious offense,they may even separate you from your child.��
if you or I get pulled over for an infraction and it's discovered we have no license, no insurance and there is a warrant out for us because we blew off a court appearance...I bet we don't walk away with just a ticket...and if you do all of those things and you do walk away with just a ticket what are the odds that ticked gets paid?
Old 10-02-2019, 04:03 PM   #22
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
if you or I get pulled over for an infraction and it's discovered we have no license, no insurance and there is a warrant out for us because we blew off a court appearance...I bet we don't walk away with just a ticket...and if you do all of those things and you do walk away with just a ticket what are the odds that ticked gets paid?
great point. by what logic do US citizens get punished more harshly than illegal aliens?
Old 10-02-2019, 05:29 PM   #23
spence

Quote:
great point. by what logic do US citizens get punished more harshly than illegal aliens?
By scott's logic.
Old 10-02-2019, 08:42 PM   #24
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Are you talking about the cop who was doing his job that is being punished more harshly then illegal aliens?

the road these policies are going will just stop more good people from choosing the profession. It's insane and we get what we deserve if we put up with this crap.

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Old 10-02-2019, 09:43 PM   #25
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
Peto you are an idiot

This needs a Like button 👍
Old 10-02-2019, 10:32 PM   #26
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
He should have just shot the bad hombre. Isn’t that what Cheato suggested?
Just in the legs

Lets Go Darwin
Old 10-03-2019, 01:46 AM   #27
wdmso

So was the guy picked up by ICE... can anyone answer this? Because Ice tends to issue these (misdemeanor) warrants and expect cities and towns to hold them indefinitely on their dime.. FYI all you law experts , have a warrant issued for non payments of a ticket out of state (misdemeanor) and get pulled over in your town ..lets see if you get held till they come up and get you.. for your un paid ticket..

stop living in your own reality.. Trump hasnt changed or tried to make illegal entry a felonious crime.. change it . issue resolved.

as for the cop regardless of his or our personal feelings dept policys not all are discretionary.. And who knows his work history postive or negative may play a roll in his discipline

Last edited by wdmso; 10-03-2019 at 01:54 AM..
Old 10-03-2019, 01:55 AM   #28
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Ronnie View Post
This needs a Like button 👍
We need one for you. Any ideas
Old 10-03-2019, 03:50 AM   #29
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post

So was the guy picked up by ICE... can anyone answer this? Because Ice tends to issue these (misdemeanor) warrants and expect cities and towns to hold them indefinitely on their dime..

read

"The officer verified the ICE warrant and contacted the ICE agent listed as the point of contact, who came to the scene of the traffic crash. The officer gave the driver a ticket for driving without a license but continued to detain the individual until the ICE agent took over custody."
Old 10-03-2019, 04:00 AM   #30
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post

FYI all you law experts , have a warrant issued for non payments of a ticket out of state (misdemeanor) and get pulled over in your town ..lets see if you get held till they come up and get you.. for your un paid ticket..

I was in Maine with a friend who was driving and he was pulled over. There was a warrant for him because he'd not shown up in court for a speeding ticket that he'd gotten on his motorcycle. They put the cuffs on him and took him straight to jail and he was a citizen with a valid license, insurance and registration..

Technically if you are here illegally and they are trying to deport you but you are running from the law and avoiding the process...it's not really "your town"..if you are a citizen and don't pay a speeding ticket and you have a license, insurance, registration.....they know where to find you

Last edited by scottw; 10-03-2019 at 06:00 AM..