Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 03-15-2009, 07:57 AM   #1
Jaycet62

PocketRocket Suggestions ?

I'm trying to build D. Anderson's P-R from the Feb 19th TheFisherman and could use some help with two issues: (1) 5/16 seems too big for the thru-hole and too small for the tail which also has a 1/4 hole for the tail weights, and (2) when I tie fresh water streamers with saddle hackles, I strip off the fuzzy stuff at the base of the feather----from the photos, it looks like these tails use the whole feather.

Anyone else making these?

Comments, suggestions?

Thanks, I'll appreciate the assist. Jay
Jaycet62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 08:49 AM   #2
Charleston
Certified Mass-hole

5/16 = .312

1/4 = .250

Why would you use a .312 hole for through wire? Maybe you mean 5/32? (.156). Drill 1/8 dia. through, then open the hole to 1/4" in the tail for the weight.
Charleston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 09:04 AM   #3
Jaycet62

My question, exactly, but that's what the article said (unless I'm going blinder along with everything else) . I'm new at this and don't have one to look-at/copy.

Thanks for the reply. Jay
Old 03-15-2009, 09:10 AM   #4
Ake G

Not being familiar with the plug in question, I'd still say Tie the trailers like you usually do.

When I tie them up it's basically a Seaducer pattern on a siwash hook. Long saddles for the tail and palmered hackles up the hook shank fan out and push a lot of water.

Or you can just tie the trailer sparse for a thinner profile.
Ake G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 09:37 AM   #5
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaycet62 View Post
My question, exactly, but that's what the article said (unless I'm going blinder along with everything else) . I'm new at this and don't have one to look-at/copy.

Thanks for the reply. Jay
Gotta be a misprint. Probably should have been 5/32, which a lot of guys drill through with. Also, a 1/4 diameter weight won't fit in a 1/4 diameter hole very easily (forcing it can split the tail). You'll need to slightly enlarge the hole or slightly shave the weight.

As for the feathers, you can do it either way. Another trick that works well is to strip the hackle where you tie it to the hook, then put a short collar of bucktail around the hook extending past the hook bend to help keep the hackle from fouling.
numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 10:05 PM   #6
wahlie
a goongala goongala

Send a message via AIM to wahlie
I was trying to make heads or tails out of the pocket rocket article as well as the darter article.... still haven't figured out the darter article. Not sure there was a final size of the plug in there. Anyway, I've got pretty exact measurements of the pocket rocket that I did. I'll post up a pict tomorrow that you can copy if you want. It's a diagram with detailed measurements and all. My finished plug only came in at about 1 oz although, i have an original pichney that was .9oz...

-Chris

"There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot."
wahlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 07:17 AM   #7
Jaycet62

Thanks, Chris: I won't be able to get back to this until late in the week, but will be looking forward to your stuff. My "estimation" from the article isn't pretty, but I took it down to a mostly frozen lake yesterday afternoon and I thought it had an interesting action-----not what I expected, but the feathers gave it a pretty neat look.....a long way from the surf, tho.....any thoughts of a reasonable flytying vice to hold a 6/0 siwash?
Old 03-16-2009, 01:17 PM   #8
Canalman
Calling Jon The Fisherman

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbskull View Post
Gotta be a misprint. Probably should have been 5/32, which a lot of guys drill through with. Also, a 1/4 diameter weight won't fit in a 1/4 diameter hole very easily (forcing it can split the tail). You'll need to slightly enlarge the hole or slightly shave the weight.

As for the feathers, you can do it either way. Another trick that works well is to strip the hackle where you tie it to the hook, then put a short collar of bucktail around the hook extending past the hook bend to help keep the hackle from fouling.

Bingo! That was a misprint. The weights I used fit perfectly into a 1/4 inch hole. They came from M&D's.

Surf Asylum Lures, Custom Lures for the "Committed"
Official S-B Sponsor
Canalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 01:20 PM   #9
Canalman
Calling Jon The Fisherman

Wahlie,

The exact measurement of the darter is 6 7/8. It tells you under the "flip the switch" subheading.

Surf Asylum Lures, Custom Lures for the "Committed"
Official S-B Sponsor
Canalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 09:40 PM   #10
wahlie
a goongala goongala

Send a message via AIM to wahlie
Cool thanks for the size on the Darter dave. Much appreciated. I missed it

"There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot."
wahlie is offline   Reply With Quote