Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 01-27-2018, 06:51 AM   #91
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
Reuters JANUARY 22, 2018 / 9:17 AM / 5 DAYS AGO

IMF raises global growth forecast, sees Trump tax boost

Noah Barkin, Dmitry Zhdannikov

DAVOS, Switzerland (Reuters) - The International Monetary Fund on Monday revised up its forecast for world economic growth in 2018 and 2019, saying sweeping U.S. tax cuts were likely to boost investment in the world’s largest economy and help its main trading partners.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

They’re just saying that to prop up Trump.
Old 01-27-2018, 08:22 AM   #92
Nebe

What does that mean exactly. “World economic growth”. If we look at economic growth, we usually divide it in 2. The first is “Wall Street”. The 2nd is “Main st”. My guess is that this growth will favor Wall Street much more than Main st.
Old 01-27-2018, 08:54 AM   #93
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
"Its a 1 time dog and pony show "

Apple announced 20,000 new jobs, and a tax payment of $38 billion. Comcast (who own MSNBC) announced $50 billion in infrastructure spending. dog and pony show?

Obama didn't do anything to do more for these folks in 8 years.

"and not funneling all the money back to share holder's" Also good for the economy.

"and to praise dear leader "

Again, Comcast, who signs Rachael Maddow's paycheck, is spending $50 billion to make Trump look good. This is what you are saying?

yes ... what a better way to pay a political bribe to give out money that was given to you at zero cost...

we will see how generous Comcast Verzion and the like are when is contract negotiations time .. with their new found wealth I am waiting till February to see my pay stub
Old 01-27-2018, 10:34 AM   #94
spence

Quote:

They’re just saying that to prop up Trump.
Even the most liberal analysis shows short-term growth. The question will be how inflation, rising interest rates, rising health care costs, increased federal deficits and disproportionate benefits of the tax cuts impact the economy long-term. Here most analysis show weak if any gains. As Nebe articulated, Main Street is in a delicate position to absorb these hits.

Hell, I need to refi my house and the rates have already climbed enough just the past few months (because of the tax plan) to pretty much negate any potential tax savings I may get.

Additionally, do you know how much positive corporate investment and job growth happened since the recession which if announced today you'd be wetting your pants over?
Old 01-27-2018, 11:14 AM   #95
Nebe

The ability to claim deductions and lower your taxable income is the greatest way to stimulate the economy. Higher taxes would in theory push companies to seek out ways to find deductions through purchases, expansion, research, etc. a tax cut does the opposite and it’s an awful way to encourage a company to spend.
Old 01-27-2018, 11:27 AM   #96
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
The ability to claim deductions and lower your taxable income is the greatest way to stimulate the economy. Higher taxes would in theory push companies to seek out ways to find deductions through purchases, expansion, research, etc. a tax cut does the opposite and it’s an awful way to encourage a company to spend.
Nebe, just TRUST ME it will trickle down.

http://money.cnn.com/2018/01/21/news...lth/index.html
Old 01-27-2018, 01:12 PM   #97
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Even the most liberal analysis shows short-term growth. The question will be how inflation, rising interest rates, rising health care costs, increased federal deficits and disproportionate benefits of the tax cuts impact the economy long-term. Here most analysis show weak if any gains. As Nebe articulated, Main Street is in a delicate position to absorb these hits.

Hell, I need to refi my house and the rates have already climbed enough just the past few months (because of the tax plan) to pretty much negate any potential tax savings I may get.

Additionally, do you know how much positive corporate investment and job growth happened since the recession which if announced today you'd be wetting your pants over?
So the rising interest rates arevtrumos fault, but the soaring stock market and plummeting unemployment are thanks to obama? Do I have that about right? Interest rates have nowhere to go but up.
Old 01-27-2018, 01:16 PM   #98
Jim in CT

Quote:
You’re saying that the best way to stimulate the economy is to increase tax rates, and then encourage people to find ways to avoid taxes. That’s somehow better than just lowering taxes to begin with? Interesting.
Old 01-27-2018, 01:18 PM   #99
Jim in CT

Quote:

I did wet my pants at what my IRA did during the obama years, and I always give him some credit for that. Unlike you, I can give honest praise and criticism on both sides.
Old 01-27-2018, 01:36 PM   #100
wdmso

The White House has seized on the company announcements as proof the law offers other benefits to workers.

"Why didn't they just tell their workers privately?" says Laurence Kotlikoff, an economics professor at Boston University, who described some of the announcements as "implicit back-scratching" for the White House.

"They're making a big deal of this to serve some other purpose, maybe getting the country to like their product or getting the government to lay off a bit."

But it is also clear that self-promotion and political calculus are driving some of the announcements.

In the broader context, the benefits for workers are "trivial"

Yes they are stroking Trumps ego to avoid any blow back if they didnt bend the knee

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-42812453
Old 01-27-2018, 02:09 PM   #101
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
The White House has seized on the company announcements as proof the law offers other benefits to workers.

"Why didn't they just tell their workers privately?" says Laurence Kotlikoff, an economics professor at Boston University, who described some of the announcements as "implicit back-scratching" for the White House.

"They're making a big deal of this to serve some other purpose, maybe getting the country to like their product or getting the government to lay off a bit."

But it is also clear that self-promotion and political calculus are driving some of the announcements.

In the broader context, the benefits for workers are "trivial"

Yes they are stroking Trumps ego to avoid any blow back if they didnt bend the knee

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-42812453
Of course there’s a political component to the announcements. Obama didn’t announce his major accomplishments? He kept it all a secret?

Do you people hear yourselves? You don’t see the obvious bias?
Old 01-27-2018, 02:30 PM   #102
scottw

Quote:

Obama didn’t announce his major accomplishments? He kept it all a secret?

on big noticeable change is that whenever Obamaland announced some promising economic or employment numbers...they'd always get revised downward shortly thereafter.....haven't noticed that lately

Nov 29, 2017 - Bloomberg View Columnist Dan Moss discusses U.S. economic growth in the third quarter. The U.S. economy’s growth rate last quarter was revised upward to the fastest in three years on stronger investment from businesses...
Mar 30, 2017 - Growth in consumer spending, which accounts for more than two-thirds of U.S. economic activity, was revised up to a 3.5 percent rate in the fourth quarter.
August 30,2017 WASHINGTON (MarketWatch) — The U.S. economic rebound in the second quarter was stronger than initially reported....
Old 01-27-2018, 02:59 PM   #103
Nebe

Quote:
You’re saying that the best way to stimulate the economy is to increase tax rates, and then encourage people to find ways to avoid taxes. That’s somehow better than just lowering taxes to begin with? Interesting.
You obviously don’t own a business. Talk to someone who does and they will say ol Nebe is right
Old 01-27-2018, 03:24 PM   #104
scottw

Quote:
this is insanity
Old 01-27-2018, 03:28 PM   #105
wdmso

Quote:
Of course there’s a political component to the announcements. Obama didn’t announce his major accomplishments? He kept it all a secret?

Do you people hear yourselves? You don’t see the obvious bias?
Not talking about what Trump says .... but the obvious stroking by those companys who he has give a windfall no bias just facts
Old 01-27-2018, 03:33 PM   #106
scottw

Quote:
Not talking about what Trump says .... but the obvious stroking by those companys who he has give a windfall no bias just facts
is anything that you claim not "fact"?
Old 01-27-2018, 03:35 PM   #107
scottw

Quote:

What does that mean exactly. “World economic growth”.

we'll get wdmso to look up the word "world" for you....
Old 01-27-2018, 04:04 PM   #108
Jim in CT

Quote:
You obviously don’t own a business. Talk to someone who does and they will say ol Nebe is right
Why is it better to hire an accountant and a tax lawyer to get a lower tax rate, than it is for the feds to have that lower rate to begin with? Please explain.
Old 01-27-2018, 06:00 PM   #109
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
.... was in Walmart today only 4 check out lines open ... looks like they toldeveryone they increased the pay but failed to say they cut the hours
Show of hands, who here has ever, excluding Christmas, seen more than 4 checkout lines open at Walmart at a time?

That's business as usual there.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 01-27-2018, 06:21 PM   #110
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
Show of hands, who here has ever, excluding Christmas, seen more than 4 checkout lines open at Walmart at a time?

That's business as usual there.
saw the same at Stop & Shop.....weird...I think you'll see it a lot more with self check out
Old 01-27-2018, 10:36 PM   #111
Sea Dangles

Quote:
You obviously could benefit from a deft accountant.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 01-28-2018, 12:17 AM   #112
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
this is insanity
You're not following then.
Old 01-28-2018, 06:39 AM   #113
scottw

Quote:
You're not following then.
followed it perfectly...it's nonsense....the rest of that "theory" states that high taxes on individuals produce similar results because it "forces" them to work harder than they otherwise would to maintain and plan their life...to that I say GFY(theoretically)
Old 01-28-2018, 04:29 PM   #114
wdmso

bill maher 2days ago made an observation trump loves to pick fights with blacks . And as if on cue he lashes out at Jay z (a nobody in the scheme of things) another example of what happens if you don't bend the knee

Unemployment is historically low across the board in the US not solely because of Trump but don't tell him

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-42853225
Old 01-28-2018, 04:35 PM   #115
scottw

Quote:
bill maher 2days ago made an observation trump loves to pick fights with blacks . And as if on cue he lashes out at Jay z (a nobody in the scheme of things) another example of what happens if you don't bend the knee

Unemployment is historically low across the board in the US not solely because of Trump but don't tell him

hey Spence....this....I am definitely not following
Old 01-28-2018, 06:52 PM   #116
Jim in CT

Quote:

Jay z criticized trump, trump fired back like a baby. Very much like obama, I remember when mat Damon dared to criticize obama, obama made fun of him, and his latest movie, on national tv. Wdmso, you are deranged with hate. Take off the tin foil hat.
Old 01-28-2018, 06:56 PM   #117
spence

Quote:
I remember when mat Damon dared to criticize obama, obama made fun of him, and his latest movie, on national tv. Wdmso, you are deranged with hate. Take off the tin foil hat.
Oh please describe.
Old 01-28-2018, 08:56 PM   #118
PaulS

Trump does have a thing for trying to tell off black people. They should show a little "gratitude"
Old 01-28-2018, 09:04 PM   #119
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
Trump does have a thing for trying to tell off black people. They should show a little "gratitude"
it's weird how some people desperately try to inject racism into everything...do you work at ESPN?

I just learned that Jay-Z's producer's name is "No I.D."....that's pretty funny
Old 01-28-2018, 10:02 PM   #120
Jim in CT

Quote:
Oh please describe.
See, here's the difference between me and you. You said large numbers of Trump supporters are not taking part in the surging economy. I asked you who they are, and I saw no response. But you ask me for clarification, and as always, I provide it. That's the benefit I enjoy of having convictions that aren't based on made-up jibberish.

Matt Damon once said of Obama, that he was (I'm paraphrasing, but very close) "I'm disappointed in his performance". Now 99.99% of Hollywood was in the bag for Obama. But as always, like Trump, Obama could never let anything go, he is too thin-skinned, too juvenile and vindictive. So at some kind of press conference or something, Obama said (paraphrasing again) "well Matt, I saw your latest movie, and I have to say, right back at ya".

I mean come on, right? Ha ha ha ha ha. I mean, is that clever, or what?

Obama wasn't anywhere near as crass or vulgar or sophomoric as Trump. He was every bit the thin-skinned baby.

Look it up.