Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 08-14-2011, 05:33 PM   #31
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
I'm going to guess in your little corner of the world life is pretty good and Mom and Dad have looked out for you. Perhaps they still do. You have no idea of what being a foster kid is like.Wanting a family that loves you. Think before you type.
Your veiws are border line Nazi.
Single mom that was never around and dad left before I was born. Nice try though.
Old 08-14-2011, 05:41 PM   #32
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
Single mom that was never around and dad left before I was born. Nice try though.
Lucky for us your Mom made the right choice
Old 08-14-2011, 09:11 PM   #33
JohnnyD

Quote:
Lucky Unfortunately for us your Mom made the right choice
I fixed that for you.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:50 AM   #34
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
Well, she is likely more experienced as an executive with a more complete resume at this stage in the elections than Barry was at this time in 2007.

Still ain't voting for her if I vote R in the primary.
BINGO. Besides, she probably won't be on the ballot when your primary comes around...
Old 08-15-2011, 11:26 AM   #35
fishbones

Quote:
Didn't your mom get you started in your business and is still involved in it?

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
Old 08-15-2011, 03:19 PM   #36
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbones View Post
Didn't your mom get you started in your business and is still involved in it?
I'm actually the one that bailed her out because she needed the help. It was on the verge of collapse. Left school to do so.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:13 PM   #37
spence

Quote:
Well, she is likely more experienced as an executive with a more complete resume at this stage in the elections than Barry was at this time in 2007.

Still ain't voting for her if I vote R in the primary.
"likely more experienced as an executive with a more complete resume at this stage in the elections"

Huh? I'm not going to say Obama had a long legislative record but she hasn't really done anything of note in private or public. Perhaps her most notable moments were being pushed out in the House to make inflammatory statements.

-spence
Old 08-15-2011, 06:28 PM   #38
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Bachmann Palin or Obama...who do you choose?

-spence
Bachman, Palin, Obama.

We are playing F, Marry, Elect, right?

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 08-16-2011, 08:23 AM   #39
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Quote:
"likely more experienced as an executive with a more complete resume at this stage in the elections"

Huh? I'm not going to say Obama had a long legislative record but she hasn't really done anything of note in private or public. Perhaps her most notable moments were being pushed out in the House to make inflammatory statements.

-spence

She is likely more experienced at this stage than Obama was in 2007.
Comparable time in education, little time in the working real world (versus near 0 for O - community organizer / college professor do not fit the real world), comparable time in the state / fed 'guvmint. Obama hasn't exactly done much of note by that time either.

I'm against enough of her views not to vote for her and she is too extreme for my comfort zone, my point was she has about as much relevant exp (some can argue more, some less) as Obama did at that stage.

Taken one step further, perhaps we should demand more from our political system than the hacks we've been saddled with.

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 08-16-2011, 09:37 AM   #40
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
[I]

Taken one step further, perhaps we should demand more from our political system than the hacks we've been saddled with.
Exactly what the furor should be. As an example, the tea party was able to gain a voice and get their opinion heard. We need to get a similar message out there to all parties - if this is your best, your best wont due (ala Twisted Sister)

we as a country deserve better

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 08-16-2011, 09:58 AM   #41
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

In all seriousness the the question is How.....Do we not vote at all? Do we write in what we see as acceptable?

The parties keep propping up these HorseChit candidates and we end up having to vote for one of them......or don't vote at all....which to me is fundamenally wrong.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 08-16-2011, 10:02 AM   #42
fishbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
The parties keep propping up these HorseChit candidates and we end up having to vote for one of them......or don't vote at all....which to me is fundamenally wrong.

And if we don't vote, we still get stuck with one of them. It's a lose lose situation. It's too bad all the best and brightest people go into human resources and stay out of politics.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
Old 08-16-2011, 10:04 AM   #43
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

The Best and brightest are too smart to run for public office......Its an Idiots Folly

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 08-16-2011, 12:49 PM   #44
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbones View Post
And if we don't vote, we still get stuck with one of them. It's a lose lose situation. It's too bad all the best and brightest people go into human resources and stay out of politics.

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 08-16-2011, 01:48 PM   #45
JohnnyD

Perfect example of how much a media and the parties play a roll is Ron Paul. He is not a fringe candidate this election and has a very broad supporting base. However, he is ignored by the media and his own party because he goes against the corrupt, pathetic, Corporate-whore mold.
Old 08-16-2011, 05:56 PM   #46
detbuch

Quote:
Perfect example of how much a media and the parties play a roll is Ron Paul. He is not a fringe candidate this election and has a very broad supporting base. However, he is ignored by the media and his own party because he goes against the corrupt, pathetic, Corporate-whore mold.
So true. The media and the political parties follow the safer "corrupt, pathetic, Corporate-whore mold" of winning by supposedly superior marketing rather than by adherence to principles. Yeah, they pretend and make a good show of principled behavior, but it's, at bottom, a dog-eat-dog war of winning or losing.

The media has learned that Ron Paul is "interesting" and in small bites can garner a spike in viewers or readers. So they'll give him occasional looks, but never too seriously. He's too dangerous to seriously analyze, and to be given "equal time" with the really serious run-of-the-mill politicians who are safely ensconced in the "corrupt, pathetic, Corporate-whore mold." He's (hush, hush) a "Constitutionalist"--one of those antiquated curmudgeons that think the Federal Government should be bound by Constitutional limitations--and a few other "controversial" ideas about the Federal Reserve and so on. It is obvious that the Constitution is "outdated" and basically irrelevant to "modern times." So the media will not objectively (not possible) involve itself with serious discussions about the relevance of the Constitution. It will occasionally give credence to some new exposition of how it doesn't meet our current needs. We are, after all, so different than humans were 200-300 years ago. We certainly don't need individual liberty so much as we need government to guide us through the complex maze of modern life. There are too many of us to be allowed to roam about the landscape at will. We need constant watching to prevent doing harm to one another, and we need constant help to manage the few years we inhabit the public space so that we don't mess it up too badly and so we don't fail too badly which would make us even more of a burden on "society." So Ron Paul is prudently marginalized. The Tea Party is as well. They too are outside the whorish corporate mold.
Old 08-16-2011, 06:08 PM   #47
spence

I think Ron Paul gets MSM attention because he's a novelty of sorts, in that he's consistently about the only elected Republican willing to speak his mind and present views contrary to the GOP talking points. Nothing like Ron Paul to go on a tirade about the Iraq war in a room full of Republicans.

I think his running is mostly to continue to inject his message into the dialogue. He certainly has a small but dedicated base, and when bussed in can even almost win a straw poll. It's amazing that Bachmann beat him by a narrow margin considering the lengths she went to get votes.

While he's a bit outside of the mainstream, Paul should certainly get some props for consistency, non-conformance and while I don't agree with some of his views an understanding for the substance of issues.

-spence
Old 08-16-2011, 07:24 PM   #48
scottw

Quote:
I think Ron Paul gets MSM attention because he's a novelty of sorts,
I think his running is mostly to continue to inject his message into the dialogue. He certainly has a small but dedicated base, and when bussed in can even almost win a straw poll.
While he's a bit outside of the mainstream, Paul should certainly get some props for consistency, non-conformance and while I don't agree with some of his views an understanding for the substance of issues.

-spence
wow...an "outside the mainstream constitutionalist"...tell me...who is the constitutionalist on the democrat side?
Old 08-17-2011, 03:53 PM   #49
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
wow...an "outside the mainstream constitutionalist"...tell me...who is the constitutionalist on the democrat side?
Obama...right Spence?
Old 08-18-2011, 01:37 PM   #50
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

Bachmann: I'll bring back $2 gas - Aug. 18, 2011

THAT'S HER CAMPAIGN?

yea that ought to solve everyones problems.
Old 08-18-2011, 02:13 PM   #51
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^& View Post
Bachmann: I'll bring back $2 gas - Aug. 18, 2011

THAT'S HER CAMPAIGN?

yea that ought to solve everyones problems.
Not to mention that it's completely impossible. Just goes to show how disconnected from reality the woman is. Unless she means $2.99/gal.
Old 08-18-2011, 03:46 PM   #52
scottw

Quote:
Not to mention that it's completely impossible. Just goes to show how disconnected from reality the woman is. Unless she means $2.99/gal.
According to the GasBuddy gasoline price tracking web site, the price of a gallon of regular gas was around $1.79 when Mr. Obama took office.
Old 08-18-2011, 03:48 PM   #53
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
According to the GasBuddy gasoline price tracking web site, the price of a gallon of regular gas was around $1.79 when Mr. Obama took office.
1.81 actually

Michele Bachmann Promises $2 Gas: Why That's a Fantasy - Ecocentric - TIME.com

Bryan

"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 08-18-2011, 04:58 PM   #54
JohnnyD

Quote:
You should take a macro economics class or two. I wouldn't expect you to understand why $2/gal gas is virtually impossible in the short-term, but someone running for president should have a clue.
Old 08-18-2011, 05:03 PM   #55
buckman

Quote:
You should take a macro economics class or two. I wouldn't expect you to understand why $2/gal gas is virtually impossible in the short-term, but someone running for president should have a clue.
Well I'm stumped... teach me JD.
Old 08-18-2011, 06:25 PM   #56
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Well I'm stumped... teach me JD.
look two posts up

Bryan

Old 08-18-2011, 07:28 PM   #57
spence

Quote:
I'd mention the timeline of the massive recession but you guys would accuse me of that "context" thing again.

Perhaps Bachmann is actually promising another big recession?

-spence
Old 08-18-2011, 07:44 PM   #58
striperman36
Old Guy

Quote:
Why,, none of them have that as a qualification...
Old 08-18-2011, 09:04 PM   #59
JohnnyD

Sadly, this applies to most elected officials though...
Old 08-18-2011, 10:23 PM   #60
scottw

"I am absolutely certain that generations from now, we will be able to look back and tell our children that this was the moment (OBAMA'S ELECTION) when we began to provide care for the sick and good jobs to the jobless; this was the moment when the rise of the oceans began to slow and our planet began to heal; this was the moment when we ended a war and secured our nation and restored our image as the last, best hope on earth."

funny, the same knuckleheads that lapped up and voted for this crap can't wait to jump on Bachmann with both feet