Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 11-13-2006, 11:00 AM   #31
fishpoopoo
Wipe My Bottom

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaptail View Post
Don't forget your your Mathews Solo-Cam while your rising up into the clouds and angels are singing.
Only a Matthews will get you into heaven, according to the people who own them.

Being the sinner that I am, I hunt with bowtech.

fishpoopoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 06:58 PM   #32
Goose

I own 'God's Country' camo it not only does it kill more deer for me but it represents what I beleive. What do you have against Jesus? Its obviouse you don't know him. Faith works for people who practice it,,,Mattews bows is a fine example. Theres always that 10% in everything.

http://www.godscountrycamouflage.com/
http://christianoutdoorsman.com/
Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 07:03 PM   #33
stripersnipr

Seems some people are more offended by Christians then they are by criminals.........go figure.
stripersnipr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 07:04 PM   #34
MikeTLive
...and in person!

Send a message via ICQ to MikeTLive Send a message via AIM to MikeTLive Send a message via MSN to MikeTLive Send a message via Yahoo to MikeTLive
dude ... I am laughing outloud here.
I really hope you are all joking.

There is a fine line that seperates a fisherman from a fool standing in water swinging a stick.

will cook for food
...and plugs
MikeTLive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 07:04 PM   #35
MikeTLive
...and in person!

Send a message via ICQ to MikeTLive Send a message via AIM to MikeTLive Send a message via MSN to MikeTLive Send a message via Yahoo to MikeTLive
I believe in the flying spaghetti monster.

There is a fine line that seperates a fisherman from a fool standing in water swinging a stick.

will cook for food
...and plugs
MikeTLive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 08:59 PM   #36
Joe

What I was struck by when I worked digging graves was that more people believed in ghosts than god.

Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 09:16 PM   #37
stripersnipr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
What I was struck by when I worked digging graves was that more people believed in ghosts than god.
Edgar Allen Poe said: "I never believed in Ghosts but I've been afraid of them all my life".
stripersnipr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 10:35 PM   #38
rjinhull

Ahh you should never talk about religion or politics

That said am I right thinking that bin ladin is close to Hitler in thinking???
(kill all that do not believe in their religion)????

:0
rjinhull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 12:46 AM   #39
Joe

Hitler wanted to kill all the non-Aryans.

Bin Laden only wants to kill the infidels - and convert the world to Islam at the point of the sword. We are all welcome to convert and join the Mujahideen.

That's the message to the most radical of his followers - but he's a pragmatist in a lot of ways, he does not believe he can conquer the world. Realistically, he'd be more than pleased to drive the Saudi Royal Family from power and oust the infidels from the three cities holy to the Islamic faith: Mecca, Medina, and Jerusalem...

He might succeed with respect to the Saudi Royal Family and Mecca and Medina - but you'll see the Four Horsemen before Jerusalem falls.

Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 01:16 AM   #40
Flaptail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose View Post
I own 'God's Country' camo it not only does it kill more deer for me but it represents what I beleive. What do you have against Jesus? Its obviouse you don't know him. Faith works for people who practice it,,,Mattews bows is a fine example. Theres always that 10% in everything.

http://www.godscountrycamouflage.com/
http://christianoutdoorsman.com/
I do know Jesus. I was touched by the hand of God in 1993. I was 37 and in very big trouble health wise. Being told I would need a heart transplant to survive. On the morning of my 37th birthday while alone in my ICU room with oxygen and various intraveanous needles in my arms and machine whirring I asked God to help me and through the voice of my brother, who was KIA in VietNam in 69' I was told that I would recover, fully, which I did. I was surrounded by a haze of light and serene calm at 3 in the morning and I was given an understanding,a message I believe by God of what he truly wants from us and in it's simplicity I live my life. I know him better than you do my friend and each day thank him for everything he gives us. For years I thought I must have been saved for a purpose but really it was quite simple.

His message to me, and it is a simple one, is to take care of each other, respect each other and live a good life. That's all he wants. He doesn't want us to grovel before him or to make every move on his behalf or force his worship on anyone, just to be good to each other and let each and every person be in peace.

He knows we all falter and he knows we go astray but he loves us all and just wants us to know he is there when we need. I have my demons too, it's part of life and he is okay with that. The experience drew me toward what is truly, what you would call his grace. The sun rising over he sea, the shade of a tree on a sunny day and the clarity of a newborn baby's eyes, these are the things he wants us to share that he made for us.

The bible holds no real meaning, it's words are those of men through the ages who have corrupted the meaning in words for their own sake and control of others, his true church surrounds you each day as you go about your life, nothing he made is perfect thus we get sick, we succumb to addiction or desease and we make the wrong choices sometimes. He understands but doesn't want or need us to prostrate ourselves and center our life around what some men have done to convince us of his presence. He is simply there and knowing we know that and living simply in respect and caring for one another is enough to him. Trust me I know.

Why even try.........
Flaptail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 07:24 AM   #41
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
That's the message to the most radical of his followers - but he's a pragmatist in a lot of ways, he does not believe he can conquer the world. Realistically, he'd be more than pleased to drive the Saudi Royal Family from power and oust the infidels from the three cities holy to the Islamic faith: Mecca, Medina, and Jerusalem...
A very good observation.

Bin Laden believes he's in a defensive struggle against the West, and it's advances upon Islam. His called to conversion are part of the old Islamic process for making war, sort of a code or tradition.

We really don't understand much of how Muslim leaders use religious language to community policy...instead just laugh at how wacky they sound. It results on Bin Laden sounding not that wacky to mainstream Islam were terrorim feeds.

-spence
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 07:44 AM   #42
MakoMike

Quote:
How many of you get the "Sportsman"s Channel" on your cable or sattelite tv? Have your ever seen the amount of born agains on those shows. Son Country Outdoors where the cross on calgary is surrounded by elk and deer in the sunset. The Sportsman's Bible, In camo cover, offered by the (?) Rev. Jimmy Sites, camo clothing that has the cross situated in the pattern. Okay, let's kill that deer or that bear or take out a monkey with a blow gun and poison ( "the Rev. Jimmy Sites did that) "thank you Jesus, thank you lord" as they shoot this moose and show it standing there, blood gushing out it's mouth and nostrils like a fire hose and then slowly falling to the ground. Don't get me wrong, I am not against hunting in any way but to connect Jesus and taking out a bear from a stand with a bow while the bear is baited in with Trix cereal and mini marshmallows while praising the Lord is just creepy.

Reality takes a back seat with these people. 'The Rapture" has them all in a tither of giddy joy. Yippee were all gonna die in a giant cataclyism" and then rise to heaven. (Don't forget your your Mathews Solo-Cam while your rising up into the clouds and angels are singing. Oh yeah, send me fifty bucks and God will give you wealth beyond your wildest dreams!

Maggots like Jimmy Swaggart, that two timing, drug using whore monger, have people desperate for help believing that they have the answer, for a donation of course. Nascar, camo bibles, TV Evangelists out getting Crystal Meth and "massages from Gay prostitutes.

Born agains, like all religious exremeism has this world totally F&cked up. Whatever happened to just caring for one another, respecting one another and just being a decent human being?

How the hell did we get to this?
And you have the nerve to call them intolerant?

****MakoMike****

Http://www.Makomania.net

Official S-B Sponsor
MakoMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 07:44 AM   #43
fishpoopoo
Wipe My Bottom

Cool

Quote:
What do you have against Jesus?
Nothing.

It's just I wish he was here right now to give humanity an update ... 2,000+ years is a long time to be gone from the scene and leaves a lot of room for people to misinterpret his teachings.

That and give organized churches a spanking or two.
Old 11-14-2006, 09:51 AM   #44
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

In his 33 years on earth, Christ is on record exactly once displaying anger.

It wasn't at Pilate who condemned him to death.

It wasn't at the Centurions who nailed his limbs to a cross.

It wasn't at Judas who betrayed him for a piddling sum of money.

It wasn't at Peter who denied knowing him 3 times after Christ was in custody.

He forgave all of them.

The anger was displayed at the Pharisees and money changers who turned his Father's house into a den of thieves.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 10:00 AM   #45
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Now I have the soundtack to Jesus Christ Superstar stuck in my Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike P View Post
In his 33 years on earth, Christ is on record exactly once displaying anger.

It wasn't at Pilate who condemned him to death.

It wasn't at the Centurions who nailed his limbs to a cross.

It wasn't at Judas who betrayed him for a piddling sum of money.

It wasn't at Peter who denied knowing him 3 times after Christ was in custody.

He forgave all of them.

The anger was displayed at the Pharisees and money changers who turned his Father's house into a den of thieves.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 02:38 PM   #46
Raven

speaking of money changers

the talkin jesus doll has been crossed off the list

by the marines... who run toys for tots...

saying the doll is inapropriate for children...

um maybe he should
sing like christmas carols instead... hmmm

"jesus christ is coming to town.....
so ya better not pout
ya better not fight
ya better sing silent night tonight
because jesus christ is coming......"

to townnnnnnn la la la la la...
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 05:26 PM   #47
jimmy z
I Had A BLAST!

Location: I'm from Manhattan, Live in CT., but my heart is in SoCo!
Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy z
They all believe in good and evil. Regardless of whatever religion, there is one God. All believers, whatever faith believe that. They might call Him, something different, bet there is only one.

Be encouraging, not discouraging

<*((())))>< <*((())))><
jimmy z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 06:16 PM   #48
gone fishin

Quote:
I do know Jesus. I was touched by the hand of God in 1993. I was 37 and in very big trouble health wise. Being told I would need a heart transplant to survive. On the morning of my 37th birthday while alone in my ICU room with oxygen and various intraveanous needles in my arms and machine whirring I asked God to help me and through the voice of my brother, who was KIA in VietNam in 69' I was told that I would recover, fully, which I did. I was surrounded by a haze of light and serene calm at 3 in the morning and I was given an understanding,a message I believe by God of what he truly wants from us and in it's simplicity I live my life. I know him better than you do my friend and each day thank him for everything he gives us. For years I thought I must have been saved for a purpose but really it was quite simple.

His message to me, and it is a simple one, is to take care of each other, respect each other and live a good life. That's all he wants. He doesn't want us to grovel before him or to make every move on his behalf or force his worship on anyone, just to be good to each other and let each and every person be in peace.

He knows we all falter and he knows we go astray but he loves us all and just wants us to know he is there when we need. I have my demons too, it's part of life and he is okay with that. The experience drew me toward what is truly, what you would call his grace. The sun rising over he sea, the shade of a tree on a sunny day and the clarity of a newborn baby's eyes, these are the things he wants us to share that he made for us.

The bible holds no real meaning, it's words are those of men through the ages who have corrupted the meaning in words for their own sake and control of others, his true church surrounds you each day as you go about your life, nothing he made is perfect thus we get sick, we succumb to addiction or desease and we make the wrong choices sometimes. He understands but doesn't want or need us to prostrate ourselves and center our life around what some men have done to convince us of his presence. He is simply there and knowing we know that and living simply in respect and caring for one another is enough to him. Trust me I know.
Flap WELL SAID the voice of a reasonable man.

low & slow 37
gone fishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 08:29 PM   #49
Goose

The bible(the word of God) holds no real meaning? Without getting to deep I think that a silly think to say, I mean people whether 2000 yrs ago, today or or 2000 years from now need the bible to know the truth.
Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 07:26 AM   #50
MakoMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy z View Post
They all believe in good and evil. Regardless of whatever religion, there is one God. All believers, whatever faith believe that. They might call Him, something different, bet there is only one.

Gues you never heard of Hindu, Buddist or Shinto religions (among others)?

****MakoMike****

Http://www.Makomania.net

Official S-B Sponsor
MakoMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 07:33 AM   #51
fishpoopoo
Wipe My Bottom

Cool

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesus_camp

Old 11-15-2006, 08:13 AM   #52
bttfish

Bush! Who is pulling the string in that House? He couldn't find his hand in front of his face... Thank God! Only 2 years left.. Can you say Lamduck! Good things are coming again...
bttfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 08:34 AM   #53
fishpoopoo
Wipe My Bottom

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by bttfish View Post
Bush! Who is pulling the string in that House? He couldn't find his hand in front of his face... Thank God! Only 2 years left.. Can you say Lamduck! Good things are coming again...
wrong forum
Old 11-15-2006, 09:57 AM   #54
Flaptail

Quote:
The bible(the word of God) holds no real meaning? Without getting to deep I think that a silly think to say, I mean people whether 2000 yrs ago, today or or 2000 years from now need the bible to know the truth.
You are mis-guided brother Goose, look inside yourself and the answer is there. Truth is not really in that book, guiding principles in some ways maybe but the real truth is so simple and the facts of the history of the church so clouded, the bible is an instrument of control, always has been and has been re-writen so many times by people who time has proved to be corrupt and dis-ingenuous it cannot be, by practical men who are strong enough in thier conviction to say so, believed to be anything other than part fable, part instrument of control and somewhere deep inside it, the real message may lay, the simple message of a good life of caring, understanding and respect.

I watch the tv shows, and there are many and I see men and women on alters preaching to thousands. Men and women whose words are like an anesthisia and hypnosis, masters of spin and sway, adorned in the best clothes and jewelry emploring and demanding absolute obedience to God and contributions to "his" cause to be "annointed in Christ", it's all a sham for the weak and eventually all those faithfull born again Christians will meet their maker and realize the corruption that fooled them into being something other than what was truly the most important thing.The root cause of our world troubles today would be better off without these people and organized religion as a whole.

The message is so simple it cannot be grasped as such by you and your kind, I find that so fascinating.
God's experiment gone awry.

Why even try.........
Old 11-15-2006, 12:09 PM   #55
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

I probably should let this die, but I'm grouchy today. Flap, I dont know you and all and shouldnt stereotype, but you're posts in this thread (and others) are the entire reason I do not trust liberals. Its the mentality of "believe what you want, but if its not what I beleive its because you're not as smart as me". This si the undercurrent of all the anti- Bush rhetoric, war rhetric, now religions rhetoric. As stated above, I am not religious, however I attended relisgiosu schools most of my life and in college took a number of religious classes. To say you got it figured out and hundreds of millions of people are wrong is too funny and exemplifies the liberal view. Always judging others. Did you notice that all the negative religion comments above come from the SAME people who have liberal views on other threads? As Mako Mike pointed out, not very tolerant.
I applaud those of religious conviction, do some use it for their own gain, of course, just like anytinhg else. But faith hope and love are key elements in MOST religions and a world witnout those is one I do not want to live in.

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
RIJIMMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 12:15 PM   #56
fishpoopoo
Wipe My Bottom

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
...faith hope and love are key elements in MOST religions and a world witnout those is one I do not want to live in.
The Muslim world could use a little more sex, drugs, rock'n roll, and a good pork roast.
Old 11-15-2006, 12:26 PM   #57
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassturbed View Post
The Muslim world could use a little more sex, drugs, rock'n roll, and a good pork roast.

Add fishing and you've basically summed up my life.

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
RIJIMMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 12:43 PM   #58
Rappin Mikey
My brother is bald

I've dated a few witches (wicken) in my day. Not many people know that they reach their sexual peak on nights when there is a full moon. I thought it was a bit weird at first. But I'll tell ya what, after that first full moon experience, I knew the date of every full moon for the next few months.

seals + plovers =
Rappin Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 01:31 PM   #59
Flaptail

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
I probably should let this die, but I'm grouchy today. Flap, I dont know you and all and shouldnt stereotype, but you're posts in this thread (and others) are the entire reason I do not trust liberals. Its the mentality of "believe what you want, but if its not what I beleive its because you're not as smart as me". This si the undercurrent of all the anti- Bush rhetoric, war rhetric, now religions rhetoric. As stated above, I am not religious, however I attended relisgiosu schools most of my life and in college took a number of religious classes. To say you got it figured out and hundreds of millions of people are wrong is too funny and exemplifies the liberal view. Always judging others. Did you notice that all the negative religion comments above come from the SAME people who have liberal views on other threads? As Mako Mike pointed out, not very tolerant.
I applaud those of religious conviction, do some use it for their own gain, of course, just like anytinhg else. But faith hope and love are key elements in MOST religions and a world witnout those is one I do not want to live in.
Boy you are grouchy, see Rappin' Mikey's Wicken thing and the full moon effect. Sounds good to me. Not really that liberal just a deep thinker and realist. And yes Bush does suck.

Why even try.........
Old 11-15-2006, 01:37 PM   #60
Karl F

Smile Who Wrote the Bible??

Goose, if you have time, Google that. a LOT of reading..
Is the Bible the word of God?.. might be some in there, but not all..
interesting stuff, whe you see who was involved the politics of it all, and how many times it has been revised and edited to meet with certain agendas...

I think Mike P hit the nail on the head with his post too.. that is one passage the televangilists, and the plate passers don't dwell on...

2 years ago, when my mother passed.. a devout bible scholar, church go-er. and mother of 6 sons.. (only one of whom (and not me) attends church, much to her dismay) anyway, I spent the better part of one morning with her pastor from her church in Brewster, going over her funeral service arrangement, and we talked of her beliefs, and differences with both my dad, and brothers, over the matter of the bible and religion. He surprised me, when I told him, while I do not attend church, or have any love of organized religion, or hold much that God's word is verbatim in the bible.. and that I feel much closer to my maker, when I am alone on a dark beach.. and fishing.....than I ever could be in his, or any other church, and I found that to be my "religion", if you could call it that... he smiled.. chuckled and said.. "Me too".. we both got real silent.. and smiled at each other for a while.. BTW.. he did a great job on her service.. "and he is a pretty good fisherman too, I later found out .."

To borrow a phrase from Jimmy Buffet..
"Television Preachers, with bad hair and pimples..
The God's Honest Truth.. it just ain't that simple!"

I feel pretty comfortable that if I have to be judged, it will be on who I am, what I have done, and not on what book I read, or church I attended, or didn't.. I think Flap is right, when he said it's more on how we act, get along, and treat each other..

BTW.. I am no Liberal or Conservative either...
Ah.. religion and politics.. they should never mix.. but always seem to get thrown tin the same pot..

After re-reading this..I prolly should just delete this.. but after all that typing, I might as well post it.. Flame On.. Over and OUT!
Karl F is offline   Reply With Quote