Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 11-10-2006, 07:14 AM   #1
Flaptail

Born Again Christians

Do you think that someone who is a "born Again Christian" and beleives that that bible is the actual factual word of God and lives and breathes everything in that book, including the concept of the world was created in six days, can really be effective as a world leader?

George Bush does.

In a world as complex as ours, with so many different cultures, religions and ethnicities where values of life vary to such a great extent and in the world political arena you have to deal with the devil, can these types of people truly be judged to be in touch with these realities so that they may make effective leaders.

I don't. I think the born again thing is absurd in the extreme.

Why even try.........
Flaptail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 07:25 AM   #2
afterhours
Afterhours Custom Plugs

got some bac friends- seems to me they like the no-strings, here are all the answers, stay in the box approach.

www.afterhoursplugs.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Afterh...428173?created

Instagram - afterhourscustom

Official S-B.com Sponsor

GAMEFISH NOW

"A GAMEFISH (WHICH STRIPED BASS SHOULD BE) IS TOO VALUABLE TO BE CAUGHT ONLY ONCE"...LEE WULFF
afterhours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 07:30 AM   #3
fishpoopoo
Wipe My Bottom

Cool

i go out of my way to tick off jesus jumpers.

freakin brainwahsed robots.

fishpoopoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 08:46 AM   #4
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Flap, are you saying GWB is a born agian christian? thats incorrect.

I am an atheist at best, or more so i believe that the "earth" is a god to worship, but what you are saying is that people with different religious views than me cannot be rational, effective people.

SO lets explore that, all christains ( I was raised and educated in catholic schools through high school) believe that a man was born in a little town, he was a son of god, killed and then came back to life and then now people's sins are forgiven if they beleive in him and then they can go to heaven. How wacked is that?
In my mind doenst follow the laws of nature at all. So where do you draw the line with what is "in touch with reality"???
In my mind, anyone who has faith in a higher power is not in touch with reality, since there is NO reality to prove. There is only faith. Cant prove faith.

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
RIJIMMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 09:27 AM   #5
spence

I don't believe Bush has ever completed "born again" certification...but he does like people to think he is. Obviously this is used well by his political advisors.

Personally I don't have any issue with evangelicals, as long as they keep a firewall between their faith and politics and keep it to themselves. But some of the widespread beliefs shared in this community I do find quite difficult to comprehend or just simply outdated, bigoted and very intolerant.

Could a born again be a good leader? I'm sure they could...but you'd have to consider that most of those in politics professing to be motivated by Christ rarely, if ever actually behave like Jesus would.

The Haggert thing was the icing on the cake. For a man, in all likelyhood a gay man to speak of this darkness that's tormented him his entire life is just pathetic. It seems he was a natural leader, image what he could have done to improve the world had his life not been weighed down by this anchor of self-hate.

Lord only know how his kids minds work. How much you want to bet they off some gay kid at school as payback for this "sickness" ruining their trust funds?

-spence
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 10:32 AM   #6
MikeTLive
...and in person!

Send a message via ICQ to MikeTLive Send a message via AIM to MikeTLive Send a message via MSN to MikeTLive Send a message via Yahoo to MikeTLive
I am anti-organized religeon.

Funny thing is that the "family business" is the catholic church.
Uncle is a Catholic Priest in Canada.
Grandfather quit the seminary.
Great uncle was a priest
lots of other aunts that were sisters, and uncles that were priests all across the family tree.

I was raised catholic but by highschool religion class I had already seen the flaws in the teachings that they were preaching acceptance but only those we want to accept.
bah.

I was forced to go to church for quite some time.
then I saw the part about jesus saying the church was the people not the place. thats when I was allowed to stop.

the more you learn about something the more you find you dont know about that something.... like fishing for striped bass.

take physics.
the further you go the more you find contradictions to the theorems and laws that you learned in the previous course. until you finally get to the end of coursework and are faced with the "ok, now you figure it out cause we cant"

There is a fine line that seperates a fisherman from a fool standing in water swinging a stick.

will cook for food
...and plugs
MikeTLive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 07:18 PM   #7
Goose

prayers needed...people on this thread
Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 07:27 PM   #8
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose View Post
prayers needed...people on this thread
Can't ya feel the love

America is a diverse country, there's no doubting that.

-spence
Old 11-10-2006, 07:31 PM   #9
Nebe

Christianity is about core values. If anyone uses those values to make decisions for the good of all there should be no problems, in fact it could lead to utopia. The problems arise when someone hides behind those values, spreads the word of those values and then turns around and makes decisions that are the complete opposite to only benefit a few.. that is a real problem & that is where we are today.
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 07:47 PM   #10
baldwin

That man may claim to be a Christian, but his actions don't show it. Neither is he a scientist. As for born-again, maybe the world'd be better off if he wasn't born at all.
baldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 09:48 PM   #11
gone fishin

OH OH John ... gonna need another forum soon.

low & slow 37
gone fishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 10:31 AM   #12
Joe

Fundamentalism is what is wrong with the world....It hobbles nations and is at odds with modernity, tolerance and prosperity.

It's why some societies can exist for a thousand years and still not be able to provide basic infrastructure to support an economy that enables them to move into the first world.

Secularism - the separation of church and state – and freedom of religion are big parts of what has enabled this country to be able to have a robot on Mars while others are dragging people out of their homes and cutting their heads off over a split on who was the true heir to Allah.

We are an increasingly centrist nation and this week – like 1992 – was another confirmation of our true nature. In this country the power of the center is felt at the polls and both sides are alternately shocked – though they should not be. Moderates do not spend time espousing their positions or trying to convert the wackos on the far left and the far right, but they are by far the majority – it’s quite evident. Each time we turn too far to the left or too far to the right, we take a giant step back to the center – thank God.

Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 04:14 PM   #13
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
Fundamentalism is what is wrong with the world....It hobbles nations and is at odds with modernity, tolerance and prosperity.
I don't think fundamentalisim is the problem...it's the political expression of fundamentalisim.

-spence
Old 11-11-2006, 04:56 PM   #14
stripersnipr

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldwin View Post
That man may claim to be a Christian, but his actions don't show it. Neither is he a scientist. As for born-again, maybe the world'd be better off if he wasn't born at all.
Alec? Is that you?
stripersnipr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 06:35 PM   #15
Karl F

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by gone fishin View Post
OH OH John ... gonna need another forum soon.
yep.. or it could go in the new one.. politics and religion.. kinda the same,.. hot button topics...
meybe politics, religion, and VS threads.. all seem to end up in a shoot out.
Karl F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 06:59 PM   #16
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

What?

Utopia, oh God.............

Isn't fundamentalism the verbal or physical expression of a fundamentalists? So fundamentalism is in all liklihood an overt physical act.

I think if Gore was elected we would have had a pefect world by now, no doubt about it.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 07:03 PM   #17
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

One more thing

I think born again christians have the potential to be the biggest hypocrites in the world.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Old 11-11-2006, 07:08 PM   #18
Skitterpop

Question

Have you heard.................................. the word

Good health and family
Skitterpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 07:53 PM   #19
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmer View Post
I think born again christians have the potential to be the biggest hypocrites in the world.
But the basis for christianity is....forgiveness, no? So you can only be a hippocrtite if you do not forgive.

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
RIJIMMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 08:32 AM   #20
fishpoopoo
Wipe My Bottom

Cool

recommended website for fundamentalist muslims:

http://www.masturbateforpeace.com

]

fishpoopoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 08:36 AM   #21
basswipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassturbed View Post
recommended website for fundamentalist muslims:

http://www.masturbateforpeace.com

]
How the hell do you find this stuff?!
basswipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 12:27 PM   #22
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

I let my guard down, no more religious chats.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Old 11-12-2006, 03:50 PM   #23
baldwin

Spare the rod...and the reel, the plugs, (no chunkin', though)...
baldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 03:52 PM   #24
striprman
Wishin' for fishin'

Things were so much simpler when people were ignorant. Some people still are.

striprman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 05:18 PM   #25
vanstaal
woody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
Christianity is about core values. If anyone uses those values to make decisions for the good of all there should be no problems, in fact it could lead to utopia. The problems arise when someone hides behind those values, spreads the word of those values and then turns around and makes decisions that are the complete opposite to only benefit a few.. that is a real problem & that is where we are today.
talk about hitting the nail on the head

You can go anywhere you want if you look serious and carry a
Clipboard.
vanstaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 09:06 PM   #26
riverrat55

The ignorant shall inherit the Earth!!!
WAIT A MINUTE!!! They have already!!!
riverrat55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 08:25 AM   #27
Bronko

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripersnipr View Post
Alec? Is that you?

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. ~John Buchan
Bronko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 10:07 AM   #28
Flaptail

How many of you get the "Sportsman"s Channel" on your cable or sattelite tv? Have your ever seen the amount of born agains on those shows. Son Country Outdoors where the cross on calgary is surrounded by elk and deer in the sunset. The Sportsman's Bible, In camo cover, offered by the (?) Rev. Jimmy Sites, camo clothing that has the cross situated in the pattern. Okay, let's kill that deer or that bear or take out a monkey with a blow gun and poison ( "the Rev. Jimmy Sites did that) "thank you Jesus, thank you lord" as they shoot this moose and show it standing there, blood gushing out it's mouth and nostrils like a fire hose and then slowly falling to the ground. Don't get me wrong, I am not against hunting in any way but to connect Jesus and taking out a bear from a stand with a bow while the bear is baited in with Trix cereal and mini marshmallows while praising the Lord is just creepy.

Reality takes a back seat with these people. 'The Rapture" has them all in a tither of giddy joy. Yippee were all gonna die in a giant cataclyism" and then rise to heaven. (Don't forget your your Mathews Solo-Cam while your rising up into the clouds and angels are singing. Oh yeah, send me fifty bucks and God will give you wealth beyond your wildest dreams!

Maggots like Jimmy Swaggart, that two timing, drug using whore monger, have people desperate for help believing that they have the answer, for a donation of course. Nascar, camo bibles, TV Evangelists out getting Crystal Meth and "massages from Gay prostitutes.

Born agains, like all religious exremeism has this world totally F&cked up. Whatever happened to just caring for one another, respecting one another and just being a decent human being?

How the hell did we get to this?

Why even try.........
Flaptail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 10:10 AM   #29
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

How about the guy in the morning infomercials selling 'miracle spring water'
what a scam... too many people use religion as a way to make money and justify their life...

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
RIROCKHOUND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 10:53 AM   #30
mekcotuit

Born okay the first time, thanks!

"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau
mekcotuit is offline   Reply With Quote