Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 04-03-2020, 08:33 AM   #1
Pete F.
Canceled

Welcome to seat of the pants government

And you whined about Obama, do you think things are hammer ready now?

The US is now playing the 2008 playbook on a grand scale -- bailout, stimulus, Fed printing trillions of cash and lending it to avoid bankruptcy. Apparently "infrastructure stimulus" is next. We're sort of like a 2 year old with a hammer, to which everything looks like a nail.

The danger in what we are doing is likewise that this becomes enshrined as standard pandemic policy for the next time -- shut down the whole economy, print rivers of cash, wait for technology to save us.

This episode should be regarded as what not to do, so we have a robust and fast-moving public health response that avoids a shutdown.

That is why we have a federal government.

It's not a Daily Reality TV show

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 04-03-2020, 08:49 AM   #2
Sea Dangles

Your contribution is noteworthy Bitchslappedboy.

Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 04-03-2020, 10:20 AM   #3
Pete F.
Canceled

MRI1
I thought the point of electing someone with “business experience” was that they would be decisive and efficient. Instead we get bureaucracy, incompetence, and corruption.

Let’s stick with someone who knows how the government actually works in November.
Old 04-03-2020, 11:20 AM   #4
spence

We seem to have an approach that says let private business step up, let the states figure it out. The lack of a unified federal strategy is a serious problem here. I don’t know if this is just crackpot ideology or sheer incompetence, perhaps it’s a cocktail of both.

Today Trump is trying to bully 3M. We are rudderless.
Old 04-03-2020, 12:27 PM   #5
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
We seem to have an approach that says let private business step up, let the states figure it out. The lack of a unified federal strategy is a serious problem here. I don’t know if this is just crackpot ideology or sheer incompetence, perhaps it’s a cocktail of both.

Today Trump is trying to bully 3M. We are rudderless.
“let the states figure it out”.

so the cdc and the army corps of engineers aren’t doing anything. very accurate.

3m is denying masks to the state of FL and selling them to foreign countries. if that’s fine with you, good for you. i want and expect my president to be furious at that.

so in the same paragraph you blame the feds for not doing anything, and also blame the executive branch for trying to help get facemasks for hospital workers in FL.

Almost in the same sentence, you say Trump is doing nothing, and also doing too much.

Tell us more.
Old 04-03-2020, 12:27 PM   #6
detbuch

A unified strategy (Federal, state and local, and private sector) was already in place as of 4-19-2006: Pandemic Influenza Preparedness Response, and Recovery Guide for Critical Infrastructure and Key Resources.

But the state, local, and private sectors clearly had not lived up to the strategy guidelines by the time Trump's administration came to power, so were woefully unprepared. Even the Federal government had not done everything as it should have, such as not replenishing all stockpiles.

A summary of different levels of responsibilities:

FEDERAL: On November 1, 2005, President Bush announced the nation’s comprehensive approach to prepare for and combat a potential pandemic influenza, emphasizing the need for proactive efforts combining the full capabilities and support of all levels of government and the private sector. The President also launched the primary Federal Web site, www.pandemicfl u.gov, to provide up-to-date information and pandemic links, and he released the National Strategy for Pandemic Influenza. 3 On May 6, 2006, the U.S. Homeland Security Council distributed the National Strategy for Pandemic Influenza Implementation Plan to provide operational direction and specific implementation actions for all Federal Departments as well as guidance for State, local, and tribal governments and the private sector. The Implementation Plan complements and extends existing national disaster management documents to include the National Response Plan and National Incident Management System (see Guide Annex and www.dhs.gov/dhspublic/display?theme=14). From this guidance, government stakeholders will develop their actionable pandemic plans to support their specific areas of responsibility and authority. This CI/KR Guide incorporates the guidance provided in the Implementation Plan and specifically addresses one of the support actions directed in Chapter 9 of the Implementation Plan. 2.5.2

STATE, LOCAL, AND TRIBAL: This level of government represents the nation’s front lines in the pandemic battle. They will face extreme challenges in maintaining normal operations in the face of widespread illness and increased demand on most government services. States are diligently updating their pandemic plans; these are available for review at www.pandemicflu.gov/plan/ stateplans.html. As outlined in the Strategy, State, local, and tribal responsibilities include the following:

ensuring all reasonable measures are taken to limit the spread of an outbreak within and beyond the community’s borders;

establishing comprehensive and credible preparedness and response plans that are exercised on a regular basis;

•integrating non-health entities, including law enforcement, utilities, and city services in pandemic planning;

•identifying key spokespersons for the community, ensuring that they are educated in risk communications, and having coordinated crisis communications plans;

*establishing State and community-based stockpiles and distribution systems; and

•providing public education campaigns on pandemic influenza.

PRIVATE SECTOR: The impact of all disasters is generally felt most severely at the local level. Private sector businesses should familiarize themselves with the various pandemic containment and response options including social distancing, quarantine laws, and movement restrictions, in the jurisdictions where they operate. Business planners should also assess the diverse national and international legal and regulatory authorities, issues, and restraints that could affect their business, supply chain, transportation of goods and services, priority for municipal services, and workplace safety issues. Additionally, planners should fully assess the risks, impacts, and implications of pandemic-related disruptions to international production, supply

Did the Trump administration review all federal guidelines for all sectors of its responsibility to assure that all was in place as it should be and ready to go. Probably no. Probably assumed everything was up to snuff. But things, at all levels, Federal, state, local, and private, were not.

So new plans had to be developed. And the Fed is now doing much of what it should and what state and local governments should have done, and getting the private sector fully engaged.

Last edited by detbuch; 04-03-2020 at 12:34 PM..
Old 04-03-2020, 12:30 PM   #7
Jim in CT

Spence is complaining that during a pandemic, the american president is trying to get an american company to sell lifesaving medical gear, to american hospital workers. Spence is upset that the executive branch is trying to intervene to get safety gear to american doctors and nurses.

the head of Florida’s office of emergency management was on tv last night, he’s desperately trying to acquire masks for hospital workers in FL. He has had deals
with 3m fall
through because the masks get sold at the last minute to foreign countries.

Spence doesn’t think Trump should try to help Florida’s head of emergency management. If Obama did the same
thing, spence would get weak in the knees with adulation.

Last edited by Jim in CT; 04-03-2020 at 12:40 PM..
Old 04-03-2020, 12:43 PM   #8
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Pete, did you even listen, nevermind understand, Mnuchin yesterday in the late afternoon/evening press conference???? He at least spoke with f direction, cooperation of the agencies involved, and firm understanding of the limitations of the Treasury Office....

Right now, I could give a rats azz about the election or who did what too late and when. I am concerned about solutions. And if you are not onboard as part of the solution, you are part of the problem...

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
Old 04-03-2020, 12:47 PM   #9
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
Pete, did you even listen, nevermind understand, Mnuchin yesterday in the late afternoon/evening press conference???? He at least spoke with f direction, cooperation of the agencies involved, and firm understanding of the limitations of the Treasury Office....

Right now, I could give a rats azz about the election or who did what too late and when. I am concerned about solutions. And if you are not onboard as part of the solution, you are part of the problem...
So do you think sea Dangles is part of the solution? Why ignore the lies of Trump which helped get us in the situation we are in now?

Last edited by PaulS; 04-03-2020 at 12:53 PM..
Old 04-03-2020, 01:13 PM   #10
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:

We are lucky we have Charlie Baker leading our efforts in this state, very impressive the steps he is taking to get out in front of this.
Old 04-03-2020, 01:17 PM   #11
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
So do you think sea Dangles is part of the solution? Why ignore the lies of Trump which helped get us in the situation we are in now?
Chris has time on his hands until that boat arrives... He definitely leans to the right, but this is more a source of entertainment for him, trust me.

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
Old 04-03-2020, 01:27 PM   #12
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Quote:
As for your second question, Paul... after thinking I had answered you in full; there is no excuse for the lies. I have made it clear that it infuriates me. His is a nationalist program, which this pandemic has proven, is more along the lines we should be pursuing, IMO. Bring the manufacturing back onshore. Made in the USA should be important again. BUT,,,, if you want to impeach someone, you better have the goods. Russia, collusion, Joe Biden and his son? All that took his attention away from where it should have been, IMO. Lost opportunity to lead a country as opposed to playing defense all the time. Lord, he is difficult to defend, but we need to move FORWARD>…….

Old 04-03-2020, 01:32 PM   #13
Jim in CT

Quote:
Lord, he is difficult to defend, ARD>…….
His words, his style, are just about impossible to defend. And sometimes he fails (building a wall, dismal early testing for the virus) and he deserves to be criticized. And sometimes he does well(the economy), and he deserves praise. It's too bad he can't control his narcissism.
Old 04-03-2020, 01:35 PM   #14
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

And to be clear, I am all about doing what is right. The Republican Senators that sold stock etc on early Corona knowledge? Hold them accountable and punish them to the fullest extent of the law. And the same with any and all who get in the middle to mark up, redirect, bid up or in any way delay getting supplies to where they are needed, in order to line their own pockets. Hang them high. There should be no party nor favoritism when it comes to a national emergency such as this...

Old 04-03-2020, 01:41 PM   #15
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
His words, his style, are just about impossible to defend. And sometimes he fails (building a wall, dismal early testing for the virus) and he deserves to be criticized. And sometimes he does well(the economy), and he deserves praise. It's too bad he can't control his narcissism.
Agreed. I was fortunate in my early professional life to work for a manager who surrounded himself with the best talent he could find, knowing their talent would be what made him be considered the best in the city/region. Similar to Reagan. There was no chest beating. Unfortunately that is not the style of doing business in the NYC area, and that is where he cut his teeth..

Old 04-03-2020, 01:50 PM   #16
PaulS

Quote:
As for your second question, Paul... after thinking I had answered you in full; there is no excuse for the lies. I have made it clear that it infuriates me. His is a nationalist program, which this pandemic has proven, is more along the lines we should be pursuing, IMO. Bring the manufacturing back onshore. Made in the USA should be important again. BUT,,,, if you want to impeach someone, you better have the goods. Russia, collusion, Joe Biden and his son? All that took his attention away from where it should have been, IMO. Lost opportunity to lead a country as opposed to playing defense all the time. Lord, he is difficult to defend, but we need to move FORWARD>…….
He totally ignore the virus and his trying to use the impeachment is an excuse. They floated that as an excuse until people started asking why the admin. couldn't work on 2x at once and it died a quick death. He constantly downplayed the virus and constantly lied. I just saw that the admin. est of potential deaths (100K - 200K) seems to be made up and no one knows where that came from. It will be the admin. line and if deaths come in less than that, the admin. will say they did a great job. You can't move forward when the person who has the biggest megaphone is a lying, petty, unprepared person.

https://www.inquirer.com/health/coro...-20200403.html
Old 04-03-2020, 01:55 PM   #17
PaulS

Quote:
Chris has time on his hands until that boat arrives... He definitely leans to the right, but this is more a source of entertainment for him, trust me.
Do you think calling people a POS and P ussy is entertaining? I think I know you good enough to know you wouldn't do that.
Old 04-03-2020, 02:05 PM   #18
Pete F.
Canceled

If the coronavirus had been a witness in his impeachment trial, maybe Trump* would have done more to stop it.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Lets Go Darwin
Old 04-03-2020, 02:23 PM   #19
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
If the coronavirus had been a witness in his impeachment trial, maybe Trump* would have done more to stop it.
May be the best quote you ever typed!

Old 04-03-2020, 02:46 PM   #20
Sea Dangles

Quote:
Do you think calling people a POS and P ussy is entertaining? I think I know you good enough to know you wouldn't do that.
Let me out of your head, P*ssy.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 04-03-2020, 03:16 PM   #21
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:

Each day that we continue without a unified national solution makes the final cost in lives and dollars greater.
Trump*s schizophrenic approach to management of this is not working.
Everybody needs to be able to plan their response and count on others to do what they say they will.
There is a limited supply of stuff in the world.
We need to be on top of it.
Saying states need to look out for themselves is antithetical to what America stands for.
The change in the national strategic stockpile website after Jared's odd statement is unacceptable.

I have heard that Massachusetts only received 17% of aid requested and Maine 5%, while Florida will receive its 3rd shipment of 100% of aid requested. The group Citizen's for Ethics is investigating if the Strategic National Stockpile is distributing aid based on Trump’s personal preferences.

He wouldn't do that would he?

He'll probably have another show tonight, just which episode of Survivor, States edition is this?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 04-03-2020, 05:11 PM   #22
Sea Dangles

He is a woke Bitchslappedboy
Old 04-03-2020, 05:12 PM   #23
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
Let me out of your head, P*ssy.
So you never answered my question what was your sacrifice you piece of s***?

I'm guessing you were raised in a bunch of different foster homes.
Old 04-03-2020, 05:22 PM   #24
Jim in CT

Quote:
So you never answered my question what was your sacrifice you piece of s***?

I'm guessing you were raised in a bunch of different foster homes.
why are you so angry?
Old 04-03-2020, 05:25 PM   #25
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
He is a woke Bitchslappedboy
Said MRI1 in one of his typical infantile comments

Reporter asking Pres Trump what Jared Kushner meant when he said the national stockpile was "our" stockpile.

Trump calls the question "nasty" & says: "We need it for the federal govt...to keep for our country...because the federal govt needs it too not just the states."

WTF?
Glad you are impressed by the Stable Genius
Down 5 points on Rasmussen in past 3 days
McConnell is looking askance
Rest of Trumplicans are saying WTF
Watch him flail now
Be careful

Lets Go Darwin
Old 04-03-2020, 05:34 PM   #26
scottw

Quote:
why are you so angry?
no kidding...right?

this is recommended therapy for angry leftists...

Old 04-03-2020, 06:00 PM   #27
PaulS

Quote:
why are you so angry?
I'm not Angry. it's just I don't take his s*** I think he say classless vial scummy person.
Old 04-03-2020, 06:12 PM   #28
spence

Quote:
Spence is complaining that during a pandemic, the american president is trying to get an american company to sell lifesaving medical gear, to american hospital workers. Spence is upset that the executive branch is trying to intervene to get safety gear to american doctors and nurses.

the head of Florida’s office of emergency management was on tv last night, he’s desperately trying to acquire masks for hospital workers in FL. He has had deals
with 3m fall
through because the masks get sold at the last minute to foreign countries.

Spence doesn’t think Trump should try to help Florida’s head of emergency management. If Obama did the same
thing, spence would get weak in the knees with adulation.
This is another one of those Jim learned everything he knows by reading a single Fox News article sort of posts.
Old 04-03-2020, 06:15 PM   #29
Pete F.
Canceled

Two top administration officials last year listed the threat of a pandemic as an issue that greatly worried them, undercutting President Donald Trump's repeated claims that the coronavirus pandemic was an unforeseen problem.

Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar and Tim Morrison, then a special assistant to the President and senior director for weapons of mass destruction and biodefense on the National Security Council, made the comments at the BioDefense Summit in April 2019.
"Of course, the thing that people ask: 'What keeps you most up at night in the biodefense world?' Pandemic flu, of course. I think everyone in this room probably shares that concern," Azar said, before listing off efforts to mitigate the impact of flu outbreaks.

Trump claims that, when Azar said in 2019 that the thing that "keeps him up at night" is the threat of a flu pandemic, Azar was not talking about any specific pandemic but only "the concept" of a pandemic, and in fact no one anticipated a specific pandemic would actually happen.

WTF does he think, if he does at all.

It is not a reality TV show, regardless of what the occupant of the WH claims.

It could easy be 8 more days to a million cases in US

So go sun yourself, MRI2

Cause Baby Donnie is looking for that hole

Lets Go Darwin
Old 04-03-2020, 06:24 PM   #30
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post

WTF does he think, if he does at all.
greatest president of our lifetime.