Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Grumpy Old Pharts Board

Grumpy Old Pharts Board Gerritol, Ex-Lax, Immodium, Bad Breath - all requirements for the Grumpy Board

Old 05-18-2008, 08:33 AM   #1
Van
zoom

Crap stuck all over my truck

Joined a work party yesterday at the marina.
I was there for about 3-4 hours.

Came back out to my truck (brand new) and noticed the windshield really dirty. Tried the wiper/washer, but only some of this junk came off.

Later I decided to wash her in the driveway. Whatever was stuck on there would NOT come off, and it was everywhere but heavier on one side mostly and really bad on the hood and roof. It was like small grains of black stuff. I tried everything. But i was afraid of ruining the finish cause this stuff was gritty. To get it off the glass I used Acetone and a razor blade. Thats how bad it is.

I left the rest alone because I didn't want to damage the finish.

Now I don't know what to do. I have no idea what is stuck on there. It is so bad it would not even come off the wiper blades. I threw those away. Its like it was hot and melted into the blades and the truck's finish.

I was parked fairly near the souteast expressway, but I don't think they were asphaulting or anything. and like I said this stuff is like grit. Its not paint becasue acetone should have removed it easily.

I am thinking detailer or body shop,

I am quite pisched !!!!

~..~..~.. ><((((º>
Things done at the last possible minute are done with the greatest possible information. Procrastination is, therefore, the most efficient means of doing things.
Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 08:46 AM   #2
Squid kids Dad

Van,Get it to either one A.S.A.P.

I'm going where I'm going...
Squid kids Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 09:00 AM   #3
thefishingfreak
"Fishbucket"

figure out if water will take it off first?
hit it with some greased lightning or strong degreaser and hot water first. if not. laquer thinner will probly work.
take it to a detailer. they can run a clay block over it. or wash the whole thing in laquer thinner and wax it again.

thefishingfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 10:19 AM   #4
BigBo

Actually, they are working on the SE Expressway Van. They're re-doing the HOV lanes.

The future ain't what it used to be. --Yogi Berra
BigBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 10:49 AM   #5
saltfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBo View Post
Actually, they are working on the SE Expressway Van. They're re-doing the HOV lanes.
That's right the left two lanes are all grooved down for resurfacing.
saltfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 03:31 PM   #6
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
Find out if others had the same problem....if so....approach the damn company doing the road work and let them know! If they are not willing to help with making it right....get a lawyer and take pictures too

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 07:52 PM   #7
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
If it's for asphalt, you will need to wash with a solvent base wash (prep sol)
The clay block FF mentioned works great. The guys in our paint shop use it all the time, spraying glass cleaner and rubbing with the bock.
Be very careful if you use acetone or lacquer thinner as you could take the paint off.
Good luck talking to the lawyer route.
The companies who do road repaving have all kinds of loop holes making them not responsible for these types of things!
But it can't hurt to try if you have time to spend of the phone and deal with their run around. routine.
Raider Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 08:31 PM   #8
Squid kids Dad

As far as I know they havent started putting asphault down yet...Unless they did it saturday..And if they did I doubt the"overspray"reached that far..I would ask the marina if someone else had the same problem

I'm going where I'm going...
Squid kids Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 07:40 AM   #9
Van
zoom

Thanks guys.

I talked to the Pres of the club/marina.
He had not heard yet of other problems, but I think he will.
They must have trashed a bunch of vehicles, as there where probably 30-40 cars and trucks with the big work parties going on.

I bought some bug/tar remover and it helped quite a bit. But I took it to the detailer here in our parking garage and they have a remover that works well. (He showed me) He said it is definately road tar or road sealant spray. I mean this stuff was everywhere,,,,on the roof too.

He said......Don't worry MAAN it get it all off and she gonna CHINE like new again!!!!! I hope so.....

If the club gets more complaints, then I will follow up. Its not worth my time trying to track down who when and how to get paid back.
I wanna go fishing.

~..~..~.. ><((((º>
Things done at the last possible minute are done with the greatest possible information. Procrastination is, therefore, the most efficient means of doing things.
Old 05-19-2008, 06:55 PM   #10
BEETLE

Van Man-went into Boston today and did notice the stripped asphalt... If they stripped the day you were nearby and downwind, the asphalt dust would have settled on your vehicle and then baked on in the sun....
Wax and tar remover my friend...better yet if it is a new ride, take it to the detail shop and let experienced hands take care of it.
BEETLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 07:24 PM   #11
Van
zoom

Got her back today looks great, no damage to the finish or exterior plastic. The interior smells like a _ _ _ _ _ _ dancer though.

Now i have to replace the wipers. sounds like that should be easy,,,but NO... not only are the different lengths, they are different widths. Had to hit a few stores to get what i need.
Dunno know what toyota was thinking with that one. Why have different widths ??? Maybe they were lowest bidder parts....

Anyway its all good now, I have not heard back from the club yet either.

~..~..~.. ><((((º>
Old 05-20-2008, 06:34 AM   #12
Raven

the other day

a little different scenario of course

but at the company where my wife works

they had some sort of clean up action or
construction going on...

and every car there came home like it
had been sprayed with a muddy dirt.

if not for the rain washing some of it off
it was ridiculous... and inexcusable

but on the windshield ........ i had applied a double

coating of RAINX ............i love that stuff...

and none of the dirt/mud & crud could stay put
and it dusted off like ....it was floating on air...

the other good thing about it is
one bottle has lasted many years.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 06:59 PM   #13
wrench

Van,

I was at the DYC today,talking with one of the Board of Directors (Frank). He told me all the cars in the parking lot where covered with tar on Saturday!!!! Some so bad they where black and cars where a different color.

Don't know who you talked to but the DYC does not have a president, but we do have a Commodore and he knows all about the the tarrings.

He also stated that they are not protecting the water way with hay as they should be to protect the water way and if reported the company will be fined heavily!!!

So they should be very willing to handle any complaints very quietly!!!

Mike
wrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 06:04 AM   #14
Van
zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench View Post
Van,

I was at the DYC today,talking with one of the Board of Directors (Frank). He told me all the cars in the parking lot where covered with tar on Saturday!!!! Some so bad they where black and cars where a different color.

Don't know who you talked to but the DYC does not have a president, but we do have a Commodore and he knows all about the the tarrings.

He also stated that they are not protecting the water way with hay as they should be to protect the water way and if reported the company will be fined heavily!!!

So they should be very willing to handle any complaints very quietly!!!

Mike
Yes it was the commodore, thinking and typing at the same time is challenging.

I will follow up again, maybe we/I can get compensated for the refinishing,,that would be cool....

I am putting the boat in today (after fishing) and I'll see who is around.

~..~..~.. ><((((º>