Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 04-25-2007, 05:41 PM   #1
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Question Heatset Createx

Maybe some of you can help me. I am not sure if I have to heatset the createx while it is still wet fresh after spraying or can I paint a whole batch first, then heatset them with a hair dryer? I used a bottle of autoair on one color in a batch of 16 or 18 plugs and heatset that coat once I was all done spraying all the plugs in the batch that color. So I hope when they say to heatset the paint, that it doesn't have to be still wet when you do that
If ya have to put the airbrush down and pickup the dryer to do that to all of them, that would be a major pain in the rear so you can see why I ask.

thanks

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 06:37 PM   #2
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master

I have been told by two people that you need to bake them. Heat dry between colors with a heatgun, then cook in the oven at 150-200 degrees for 1-1.5 hours to chemically alter the paint. I haven't tried this, but plan to in order to see if it improves the durability of the paint.
numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 08:45 PM   #3
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Slip, don't know how to post the link, but check out:
www.artsupply.com/createxautoair Click on Auto Air Colors , then Technical, then Application Guide. Great info.

I called Createx one time about heat setting their air brush acrylics, and their tech dept said use a hair dryer to speed drying between coats. I usually hit them again before hanging in the box.
Hope it helps.

" Choose Life "
justplugit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 09:19 PM   #4
Johnny21

Slip, I tried to just paste the parts that pertain.
This is from Createx Auto Air.

Application and Dry Times

3 Coats – The majority of the colors achieve coverage in 3 coats. Refer to color’s specific Product Guide for further coverage
information.
Apply the first coat lightly. – Apply the first coat of Auto Air Colors™ as a light coat, similar to a guide coat. The second and
third coat may be applied with more material create an even finish. Avoid wet coats with excess material build-up. Applying a
wet coat over a wet coat which has not dried significantly increases drying times and may result in peeling during taping.
• Initial coats have a speckled appearance. Additional coats fill in coverage producing even finish. Final coat should
fill in field of color and create an even finish.
• Working in light coats is important to ensuring successful results. A light coat of a water-based paint is much
thinner than a light coat of urethane paint. Do not try to get total coverage from one coat. Avoid overly wetted
coats. Overly wetted coats may cause pigment to migrate causing a “fish-eye” effect. The last coat should be
applied with more material to create an even finish.
• There are no time windows when working with Auto Air Colors™. Additional coats may be applied at any time once
the underlying coat has dried. Additional coats may be done within minutes of the last coat or several days may
pass before the next coat is applied without the need to sand or scuff.
Recoat Time:
Booth conditions- Generally 5-10 minutes.
Open conditions- Generally 15 min. to 1 hour, depending on humidity levels and temperature.
Use of moving air and/or heat will reduce recoat time. Allow coat to dry prior to application of next coat. Curing each coat with
heat is recommended but not necessary if colors are applied with adequate dry time in between coats and final finish is
completely cured prior to taping or clearing. When air curing, avoid applying wet coat over wet coat. Allow each coat to dry
prior to applying next coat.

Curing
Auto Air Colors can be cured in a spray booth with air movement, by infrared heat lamps, a heat gun or simply allowing colors
to air dry completely.
Curing in Spray Booth- A spray booth is the preferred environment for painting vehicles with the Auto Air Colors. Bake paint
at 120-150ºF for 15-20 minutes or until colors are completely dried.
For quicker drying times, increase airflow rate and booth temperature. Colors may be cured in excess of 300ºF.
Curing in Open Conditions- Recommended minimum temperature 70ºF and low humidity. Curing Auto Air Colors™ in humid
or cold damp conditions may require extended exposure to heat. Use airflow to speed up drying time.
• Auto Air Colors™ are cured with heat and/or airflow. Use heat gun or infra-red lamp to cure colors. If not curing
with heat, allow colors ample time to dry prior to taping or clear coat application. Drying time will vary depending
upon environment.

Curing
• In Infra-red lamp (IR) – allow lamp to cure colors at a safe distance generally over 12 inches to prevent blistering
paint. Cure colors dry to the touch without tack.
• A heat gun is effective when curing smaller areas such as body panels, tanks, fenders, helmets, etc. Generally
colors cure 1-2 minutes per square foot. Keep gun moving at a safe distance of 6” or more to avoid blistering.
Avoid aggressively heating colors as adhesion failure may occur. Allow colors to air cure initially followed by gentle
application of heat from gun. Cure colors dry to touch without tack.
Johnny21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 09:32 PM   #5
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Thanks
I guess it pays to read

I set the autoair color and waited overnight so i should be good.

light coats, that is good, need to do that especially on the pearls

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote