Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 12-15-2004, 07:44 PM   #1
rizzo

Anyone recognize this spot????

where is this spot?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	beginning.jpg
Views:	437
Size:	263.3 KB
ID:	5990  
rizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 07:44 PM   #2
rizzo

higher elevation
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	matt ice axe.jpg
Views:	419
Size:	161.8 KB
ID:	5989  
Old 12-15-2004, 07:46 PM   #3
rizzo

this is me
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	paul almost at summit.jpg
Views:	419
Size:	135.0 KB
ID:	5988  
Old 12-15-2004, 07:46 PM   #4
rizzo

the summit
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	looking up at doom.jpg
Views:	410
Size:	141.7 KB
ID:	5987  
Old 12-15-2004, 08:09 PM   #5
Rappin Mikey
My brother is bald

Tucks is the first pic, and up to the summit from there. That's some good exercise!!!

seals + plovers =
Rappin Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 08:34 PM   #6
tynan19
Stuck In Reality

I am sure you know what you are doing but be careful. That weather can change in a minute up there. A couple years ago 2 college buddies who where experienced hikers got caught in a storm on a good day. One didn't make it out.

Last winter. Late pics from snowmobiling up there.

Go Ugly Early
tynan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 08:35 PM   #7
Slingah

nice rizzo
I've hiked Washington a few times....but not in the snow...I'd have to loose a few #'s to do that
Nothing better than a few days in the wilderness
Slingah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 09:07 PM   #8
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

I had that first one pegged

I driven that road so many times it's ridiculous.

Now you know why I own a Quigley
UserRemoved1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 10:36 PM   #9
rizzo

Quote:
Originally posted by tynan19
I am sure you know what you are doing but be careful. That weather can change in a minute up there.
I know.... it is the worst place for weather in America by far. We've been into winter climbing and camping for about 6 years so we know what we are getting ourselves into. Like the ocean though you gotta respect the mountains no matter how big or small.

That particular day we saw gusts over 100mph on top, with the temp being around 20 degrees without windchill.
Old 12-16-2004, 07:20 AM   #10
5/0
Eels

Nice pics,any P A N O R A M I C shots.

5/0

Live bait sharp hooks and timing is all you need
5/0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 08:36 AM   #11
CSK

A million years ago I used to ski the ravine every spring. I'll never forget passing a guy with a LLama toting two pony kegs on the trail up. Even better were the nut bags who used to shoot the ravine on cafeteria trays.
CSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 12:23 PM   #12
outfished

What kind of fish are up there?
outfished is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 12:38 PM   #13
chris L

I was up there in Oct . no snow but the weather changed a couple times why I was at the summit . I drove and took the cog up .
chris L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 02:52 PM   #14
rizzo

Quote:
Originally posted by outfished
What kind of fish are up there?
There were a couple of frozen waterfalls with pools below... but i doubt theres any fish in there

I look at it as rock hopping training and conditioning to keep in shape for the off season
Old 12-17-2004, 01:58 PM   #15
GaryK2

Done tucks a few times my self, sking the snow fields above and down over the headwall. I used to hike around MT Washington quite a bit. Nice pics.

Quick story. As I said, I used to hike up that way alot and made a promise one year with a buddy that I would never drive up to the top (This Car Climbed Mt Washington). I always hated the fact that you could be lost up there in nature, only to turn a corner and run into a motor vehicle up at the top of Washington.

We'll a few years later, when on a camping trip, not a hiking trip, with my finacee and another couple, the three of THEM decided they wanted to drive to the top of Mount Washington.
Despite my very apparent lack of excitment over their propsal, we did drive up. I was the biggest baby the whole trip up and down poutting in the back seat the whole time, and for the rest of the weekend.

I hate those bumperstickers!
GaryK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 02:12 PM   #16
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

I worked w/ a couple of guys a few years back. One was from Kentucky and the Other was from Atlanta. They heard about Mt Washington and decided they wanted to climb it so they could see the top. They head out for the climb and hike all the way up.

Now they're not the most in shape guys so it took awhile. They finally come to the top and as they come up they see 2 little kids eating Ice cream and looking at them real strange and they see all these cars up there.

The Boneheads didn't know you could just drive up there. which, knowing those two, would be what they would have preferred to do.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 05:39 PM   #17
tynan19
Stuck In Reality

^ That was hiliarious. I have driven up and hiked it. The drive up I think is scarier than the climb. 1000ft drops 1 foot from the car.

Go Ugly Early
tynan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 11:23 AM   #18
redlite

We used to do a lot of hiking and extended hiking/ camping trips all up through there. Been up from both sides a few times. Amazed me how it takes about 2 1/2 hours to get to the top of Tuck's, then about 4 hours to go the rest of the way through that rock field up top.
Have seen some pretty wild stuff. I remember one spring we were staying in the shelters and this group of kids were in our shelter packed to the gills with skis and gear. Each guy has more stuff than my father brother and I combined. Was amazing they made it up there. My father kept saying it looked like the kids mother had packed for him. Well when dinner rolled around, he broke out his 3 BURNER coleman stove. Things gotta weigh 10 pounds in itself. Well, one of the other kids asked if they had any salt and the kid said" No. My mom forgot to pack it." I laughed so hard I almost peed myself.

I sledded down from the shelters with a 50 pound pack on my back too. I think I set a few land speed records that day.

I love it up there.
redlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 12:39 PM   #19
GaryK2

One of the times I was skiing tucks in the Spring (about '84) Warren Miller was up there filming a guy whose name I think is Greg Smith jump off the headwall on skis.

We didn't know he was filming at the time, but we witnessed this guy's jump. We were surprised the next fall when his movie came out and we were in the audience saying..."Hey I was there when that happened."
GaryK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 03:15 PM   #20
FishermanTim

Thumbs up

I didn't hike the ravine, but a friend of mine and his now-wife and I hiked one time in early fall some years ago.
We started from the visitor center (check in before any hike) and hiked to the Mespah hut on the Crawford Notch. Set up camp, and proceeded to hike to Mt. Washington summit the next morning. There is a pool of crystal clear water at the base of the summit called the "Lake in the Clouds". Believe it or not, there were fish in this pool which is located above the tree line.
Anyway, we hiked the last mile+ up to the summit and saw the same thing: Peolpe sitting, eating cafe snacks, and looking at us like we had just crawled out from a swamp.
We have pictures on the actual summit, and proceeded to hike back to our camp site. The entire trip was 17+ miles round trip, which we did in one day. To this day, whenever I see one of those "this car climbed Mt Washington" stickers, I want to yell at the driver to get off his/her butt and climb th damn mountain. That way they can experience the mountain the way it was intended.

Just my $0.02 worth.
FishermanTim is offline   Reply With Quote